Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stef View Post
    Made this manip at the request of Milena. Not sure about the rules, so I will just post a link to it rather than post the picture:

IN BED TOGETHER!!!

-Stef

EDIT: Edited out the pillow

EDIT EDIT: Changed something else.....
    Wow! Amazing manip hun! Pure love! and go Milena for suggesting it

Nobody is talking, so I'm just going to throw some possible D/V names at you:

DeVilish
    Attracivilish
    Snuggles
    DaVoom
    Dwizlers
    Antagonistics
    DaValacious
    Snickerdoodles

Any of those work for you? The question is, how do we narrow it down?! (I know, I know...I'm brilliant!!)

-Stef
    Oh, I like them, my favs would have to be: DeVilish, DaVoom and Snickerdooloes

Testing how they roll of the tongue:

I think I might just have to go and write some DeVilish fic...
    I think I might just have to go and write some DaVoom fic...
    I think I might just have to go and write some Snickerdooles fic...
    And lastly
    I think I might just have to go and write some Antagonistics fic

Hmm.... Thoughts?
    banner by Stef

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLikeaFox View Post
      Thread is dead not moving along so I'm off to bed, see all you Fruitcakes later
      Looks like my attempts to resuscitate the thread have failed. I head off to bed with my head down in shame.

-Stef
      I just came back! *lassos Stef and Cat back*

I'll post fic if I have too!!!!!!!
      banner by Stef

Comment

Originally posted by MaeveBran View Post
        And just for Darryl:

Beautiful!!! Thanks much MaeveBran!!

Originally posted by Milena_D View Post
        *whistling* Deniiiiiaaaal
        So what's a river in Egypt got to do with anything?

Holy snapcracklingdonkeyhorse! I feel like such an a$$ but I'll still be the first

Here it is Darryl, only 4 posts late!

Congrats on your first 100 posts Darryl!!!
        WHEE! Thanks Milena!!!

...I was wondering if anyone would notice...

To all other Fruitcakes...I win
        Win what?

Originally posted by DJgirl View Post

Darryl on 100 posts!!!
        Thanks to you too, DJgirl!

yummy....

Originally posted by RinggoldGate
        Same here Toomi, I didn't know what you meant by the "bottom half" so my mind quickly filled in the blanks. LOL

We need to ask Wendy if she has any pics to go with that thought.

Edit: A Vala Video Break

Darryl, If you are still awake I just found a Vala video for you.

You Know
        Thanks for that!! Very cool vid! Gotta love those expressions that woman has...I need to start bookmarking these...!

Originally posted by marbleC View Post
        PU Pic run
        Yo, Walter! Nicely done!!

Okay, Milena and I have been arguing over this topic for the past 10 minutes elsewhere and I want everyone's opinion:

Which is more important to you in a fandom:

Art/Videos

Fan Fiction

Don't worry about hurting anyone, this is just a fun debate trying to decide who is more indespensible to the thread. I won't say who's arguing for what!

-Stef
        Ah, I was wondering when something like this would come up. I've got some thoughts on it...read on...

Why would I hurt you? You're proving my point. People are far more passionate about a good fic than a good video. You kind of watch a vid and move on....a fic sticks with you a lot longer (especially multi-chapter ones!). I just throw clips together...or edit pics together...I don't create anything new! As little as I read fics, I recognize that they are the backbone of fandoms/ships!

-Stef
        One quick quibble before I say my peace on this. I disagree Stef, that you don't create original content the same as we authors do. We're all doing the same thing, taking someone else's original works (the canonic authors) and putting our own spin on it. Folks like Milena, LC, Erin, and I (and all others whom I failed to mention) do it with words. You, Marble!Walter, and all other visual artists do it with pictures and video. It's just a question of medium, that's all.

<soapbox>Okay, here's my view. I honestly feel both are equally important. I know, sounds corny, but here's my reasoning.

I love writing fics, and I'm really enjoying creating fantasy versions of the D/V ship as well as playing with the whole SG-1 universe. It thrills me that others with the same interest find what I create so entertaining and captivating (thanks again to all who've complimented me, it's really appreciated.) As an author, I find my well running dry sometimes. As I rapidly approach the 200,000 word mark, doing all that writing can be tedious, at times.

Enter pics and vids. We all are, by definition, visual creatures (some moreso than others). I can write millions of words, but they just don't elicit the same kind of response as a picture, or better yet, a video. After all, "A picture is worth a thousand words". It's so true.

When I want to write more, but find my inspiration waning or my motivation fading, I look at pics and vids. They inspire me, and excite the imagination. I couldn't have gotten this far, or have any hope of continuing without - not unless writing were a job for me...but then it wouldn't be half as fun, it'd be work. I know this from experience, as my last hobby became my job and has slowly but surely stopped being fun.

So, having said that, (and please forgive me for this, Milena and Stef) but I think it's foolish to argue which is more important. Both are two halves of the same coin, different squares in the same tapestry. In the end, it's all about inspiring the imagination, both of authors and readers and visualists alike.
        </soapbox>
        my $0.02, ymmv...

Made this manip at the request of Milena. Not sure about the rules, so I will just post a link to it rather than post the picture:

IN BED TOGETHER!!!

-Stef

...and I think this pic demonstrates my point perfectly.

Gorgeous work, Stef!! It really does inspire and captivate...
        _______________________________________________________________________________
        ~sg1cat~ (aka Darryl ) | FanFics: Fanfiction.net LiveJournal

_______________________________________________________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by sg1cat View Post

Ah, I was wondering when something like this would come up. I've got some thoughts on it...read on...

One quick quibble before I say my peace on this. I disagree Stef, that you don't create original content the same as we authors do. We're all doing the same thing, taking someone else's original works (the canonic authors) and putting our own spin on it. Folks like Milena, LC, Erin, and I (and all others whom I failed to mention) do it with words. You, Marble!Walter, and all other visual artists do it with pictures and video. It's just a question of medium, that's all.

<soapbox>Okay, here's my view. I honestly feel both are equally important. I know, sounds corny, but here's my reasoning.

I love writing fics, and I'm really enjoying creating fantasy versions of the D/V ship as well as playing with the whole SG-1 universe. It thrills me that others with the same interest find what I create so entertaining and captivating (thanks again to all who've complimented me, it's really appreciated.) As an author, I find my well running dry sometimes. As I rapidly approach the 200,000 word mark, doing all that writing can be tedious, at times.

Enter pics and vids. We all are, by definition, visual creatures (some moreso than others). I can write millions of words, but they just don't elicit the same kind of response as a picture, or better yet, a video. After all, "A picture is worth a thousand words". It's so true.

When I want to write more, but find my inspiration waning or my motivation fading, I look at pics and vids. They inspire me, and excite the imagination. I couldn't have gotten this far, or have any hope of continuing without - not unless writing were a job for me...but then it wouldn't be half as fun, it'd be work. I know this from experience, as my last hobby became my job and has slowly but surely stopped being fun.

So, having said that, (and please forgive me for this, Milena and Stef) but I think it's foolish to argue which is more important. Both are two halves of the same coin, different squares in the same tapestry. In the end, it's all about inspiring the imagination, both of authors and readers and visualists alike.
          </soapbox>
          my $0.02, ymmv...
          Yo, Darryl, DITT-to the-O! Well put, I'm the same way, if I get too suck on something I look at my pic folder, some icons, and vids, then I read some fics (not mine) and feel all gun-ho about writing again!

And by the way, "200,000 word mark" woah! and congratulations! Long, intricate, epics are a bee-otch, aren't they, and that is quite the accomplishment!

EDIT: Oh, and you totally forgot me in the fic writers list! But as an Ascended being I forgive for you made some good points. Just know. Strike one.
          banner by Stef

Comment

Originally posted by marbleC View Post
            PU Pic run
            Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Awesome caps Walter!!!

Gooooooooooood Morning Fruitcakes!!!
            sigpic
            Sig made by me

Comment

Awesome caps Walter!!!

Gooooooooooood Morning Fruitcakes!!!
              Morning Wendy!
              banner by Stef

Comment

Originally posted by isabelqc View Post
                Morning Wendy!
                Calendar update. The Ex-roomie just came over and he has taken over my good computer, so I might not have the WP up until later tonight. But I will have it up before I go to bed
                sigpic
                Sig made by me

Comment

Erin, Nats, Darryl I see you! *creepy little girl in Poltrigiest voice*

*motions you forward* I am this close to breaking out the crack!ficlet vignette and a game to jump start the thread. Seriously, you think I'm joking. Jest, I do not the meaning of the word, but I embody it so well.
                  banner by Stef

Comment

Originally posted by isabelqc View Post
                    Erin, Nats, Darryl I see you! *creepy little girl in Poltrigiest voice*

*motions you forward* I am this close to breaking out the crack!ficlet vignette and a game to jump start the thread. Seriously, you think I'm joking. Jest, I do not the meaning of the word, but I embody it so well.

It is fairly quiet in here this morning.

"It's quiet.....too quiet"
                    sigpic
                    Sig made by me

Comment

Hi all!

I normally don't post here...I'm not a shipper in any kind, but I've capped the pegasus project, and love this scene...so some caps to share with you...

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Thats all...bye bye
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for dropping by hastie. Very nice caps
                            sigpic
                            Sig made by me

Comment

It is fairly quiet in here this morning.

"It's quiet.....too quiet"
                              You may have a point Wendy, my dear, because suddenly I shiver with whatever plans are being concocted out there right now *coughMilenaandStefcough* They know I love them!

Caps are always welcome hastiekido! Thank you!
                              banner by Stef

Comment

Okay, Milena and I have been arguing over this topic for the past 10 minutes elsewhere and I want everyone's opinion:

Which is more important to you in a fandom:
                                Art/Videos

Fan Fiction

Don't worry about hurting anyone, this is just a fun debate trying to decide who is more indespensible to the thread. I won't say who's arguing for what!

-Stef
                                Ha! Take that, Milena!! I'm right!!! Victory!!!

Milena is under the delusion that what I do is more important than what she does. Ridiculous, I know!

-Stef
                                Very, very ridiculous....as all are agreeing.
                                I'm afraid you're going to have to face the cold, hard facts when everyone replies! You'll find that my importance pales in comparison to yours (and Isa, LC, Kay, Erin, and every other writer in this thread). I just provide some window dressing

-Stef
                                Stef, I don't believe I've ever seen this side of you Angling for some love, dear...wait for it, it be coming.
                                Why would I hurt you? You're proving my point. People are far more passionate about a good fic than a good video. You kind of watch a vid and move on....a fic sticks with you a lot longer (especially multi-chapter ones!). I just throw clips together...or edit pics together...I don't create anything new! As little as I read fics, I recognize that they are the backbone of fandoms/ships!

-Stef
                                Nope, I don't move on from a good vid. Find, love, download or bookmark. That's how it happened with your vids over the summer, same with fics by the way before I got screennames everywhere. My hard-drive is full of some of your stories, copied and pasted from the net.

IN BED TOGETHER!!!

-Stef

Very talented, Stef. (Can I say it's bit strange that there's a whole side of the bed that is empty? But that's okay, you work with what you're given, as do we all )
                                Win what?
                                she was the first to congratulate you...she likes beating everyone else

</soapbox>
                                my $0.02, ymmv...

...and I think this pic demonstrates my point perfectly.

Gorgeous work, Stef!! It really does inspire and captivate...
                                Couldn't have said it better myself. But must ask, ymmv? (don't know that one.)
                                Originally posted by RinggoldGate
                                Who would ever guess that I would say Art/Videos.

I have had a Farscape YT page since Sept. 2006. With 26 videos listed I have had 148,381 video views. That's a whole lot of Farscape fans and Farscape was such a smaller show then Stargate. Fans love Videos and they are so much easier to find. You can find a video and get a quick shippy fix in a few minutes.

Now you know that the use of a quick drug does lose it's effect. We are then driven to go for the stronger and longer lasting drug of the short Fanfic. You know what comes next. The fanfic multichapter. We start incomplete stories and wait impatiently for the next chapter for the next high. Why do you think so many of your fic cheerleaders are so impatient? You are their pushers.

Video makers, you keep handing out the delicious candies. Fanfic Writers, keep us with a wonderful supply of the Hard Stuff.

Edit: Who would like a little piece of sweet candy. It is free.

A Unending Video Break:

Stuck in the Moment
                                Okay, my 2 cents on which if either is more important to fandom. I know it wasn't a choice but I pick c) neither are more important (and hence neither of you is indispensible, was that subtext I read at the beginning?)

Back when I was lurking the thread after "Unending" this summer, I had to get more. Didn't matter what it was, physically visual or mentally visual I couldn't get enough. Susan's right, vids suck you in. They're quick and easy, but done right they can grab you like no other. Stef, I could go on and on about your stuff, but I won't, I suspect you would blush at my girl!crush on you and your talent

Yet fic are great too. The variety out there is astounding. You can find a fic for just about anything. There are western-style SG fics, POTC-style, mission!fics, elaborate AUs, fluff-PWP fics, missing scenes/episode tags...you name it, you got it.

Yet none of that was enough for me back in July, and I imagine it's the same for many of you. I could've stayed a lurker. I could've just sat down there at the bottom of the screen as one of the unnamed guests, watching as pretty pics and vids and lovely, well-written fics rolled off the presses. But I couldn't just sit by and watch. It's you people that make vids and fic important. The creators and the audience alike.

My point is slipping away as I write this. Maybe I just have to be the thread peace-keeper (some pun-intended ) but I see this as a pointless question, much like Darryl's sentiment. Art is art. The motivation is the same: to express oneself. The results are the same: the bringing together of like-minded fans. It's the medium that's different, no better or worse than the other. (See, now I might just be plagiarizing Darryl )

Rereading and editing (cuz I'm a perfectionist and I can't help it) if there was a point in there somewhere, let me know, I seem to have lost it.

Aw heck, DV ROCKS!! (how's that for eloquence )

~Erin

Comment

Working...
                                X