Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stef View Post
    Okay, so Wendy just called in a marker for a D/V music video. I don't want to spoil it by divulging the song she chose, but let's just say it shall be an interesting adventure for me. If I start getting nostalgic tonight, forgive me

-Stef
    Awww....you seriously didn't have to start it tonight. BUT, I am super excited to see how well it will work out
    sigpic
    Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Odakota_Rose View Post
      Hey, I have a question, why do so many people not like "Family Ties"?
      Not to go into too much detail before the FT discussion but I can't remember being bothered by any of the characters. HOWEVER, as a huge Vala fan, I have a HUGE rant to share about the episode and how it was such a great opportunity to learn more about her character and they cheesed it up! *calming breaths* It's okay, I'm fine...relaxing But generally, for the purpose of my fics and in general thinking about Season 10, I like to pretend that the episode doesn't exist other than for the small DV interactions Though some people are saying those DV interactions were as good as I seem to recall them so I can't wait to get to that ep in discussions
      ||My Fanfiction: FF.net & My LJ || Vala Multi-Shipping LJ Comm||

Banner made by Stef!

Comment

Originally posted by Milena_D View Post
        Not to go into too much detail before the FT discussion but I can't remember being bothered by any of the characters. HOWEVER, as a huge Vala fan, I have a HUGE rant to share about the episode and how it was such a great opportunity to learn more about her character and they cheesed it up! *calming breaths* It's okay, I'm fine...relaxing But generally, for the purpose of my fics and in general thinking about Season 10, I like to pretend that the episode doesn't exist other than for the small DV interactions Though some people are saying those DV interactions were as good as I seem to recall them so I can't wait to get to that ep in discussions
        Hmm.. Okie dokie. I saw it a few weeks ago again, and I actually kinda liked that episode, except yes there was indeed a significant cheese factor lol.
        That'll be a fun discussion.

EDIT: Love the banner DJgirl!
        Renny Roo, the Keeper Of the Fruitcakes

sigpic
        Sig by Odakota_Rose

Comment

Nostalgia can be good Stef
          I like it for the most part. It's a neat little insight into Vala's childhood/growing up years. But there is a part that just doesn't sit right with me. It's the scene wear Vala's bringing in a box of... whatever... and she sets it down and says something like "That's the last of 'em"

Then Daniel stops her and says something like "Sit down, wanna talk" in a completely non-comforting, fake-sympathetic way. In Dominion, he looks at her and touches her chin to get her to look at him. In Family Ties, he just sits there and looks up from his desk like, like, I don't even know how to describe it, it's just so ... off... I remember watching it and going "what the heck was that?"

Hmm, I don't really believe I've explained myself at all, except to say that the scene is jarring, if that makes any sense.

I bet someone else could explain it better. I'm getting sleepy.

~Erin

Comment

Originally posted by ErinB View Post
            I like it for the most part. It's a neat little insight into Vala's childhood/growing up years. But there is a part that just doesn't sit right with me. It's the scene wear Vala's bringing in a box of... whatever... and she sets it down and says something like "That's the last of 'em"

Then Daniel stops her and says something like "Sit down, wanna talk" in a completely non-comforting, fake-sympathetic way. In Dominion, he looks at her and touches her chin to get her to look at him. In Family Ties, he just sits there and looks up from his desk like, like, I don't even know how to describe it, it's just so ... off... I remember watching it and going "what the heck was that?"

Hmm, I don't really believe I've explained myself at all, except to say that the scene is jarring, if that makes any sense.

I bet someone else could explain it better. I'm getting sleepy.

~Erin
            Ohh... I think I vaguely remember that part, I didn't see it a few weeks ago, but I had gotten up to get dinner on so that explains it. You're right, it was kinda off.

sigpic
            Sig by Odakota_Rose

Comment

Nostalgia can be good Stef
              It wasn't one of the greatest episodes, but I found it enjoyable enough. I was so excited that they had cast Fred Willard. That man is so funny. I knew he would do a great job as Vala's dad. I actually got a couple of my friend's that don't watch Stargate, to watch that episode just because he was in it.

The thing that turns me off in that ep is the talk between Daniel and Vala. It just doesn't seem to fit for them. His tone was almost a father scolding a child and it didn't work for me.

Other then that, it kept me entertained. The ending was one of the best ending's I have ever seen on Stargate. I don't remember ever laughing that hard at an episode!!

EDIT: Thanks Ren(I got the name right, correct?)
              sigpic
              Sig made by me

Comment

Aside from the D/V scene that many have already explained...I felt like the quality of the story was mediocre and Fred Willard just seemed completely wrong for Vala's father. CB has chemistry with everyone...but him. I guess it's because it had so much promise but it never really came together. Don't get me wrong, there are good parts (Sam/Vala scenes, Landry/Vala, Sam scolding Vala's father, the subtly veiled rib at SF channel, Teal'c and the "Virginia Dialogues," and CB's performance)...but it just doesn't work as a whole. It's disappointing more than anything else, because this was our last chance to get some of Vala's backstory and it really didn't offer up much Again, I just find it to be the weakest episode in the entire season...which isn't to say it's awful...just bad by comparison. Sometimes I may overstate my dislike

Originally posted by DJgirl View Post
                Awww....you seriously didn't have to start it tonight. BUT, I am super excited to see how well it will work out
                Oh, you know me...consistently bored out of my mind Plus, if I don't get this started tonight I'll probably lose my drive. It's happened before!!

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by DJgirl View Post
                  It wasn't one of the greatest episodes, but I found it enjoyable enough. I was so excited that they had cast Fred Willard. That man is so funny. I knew he would do a great job as Vala's dad. I actually got a couple of my friend's that don't watch Stargate, to watch that episode just because he was in it.

The thing that turns me off in that ep is the talk between Daniel and Vala. It just doesn't seem to fit for them. His tone was almost a father scolding a child and it didn't work for me.

Other then that, it kept me entertained. The ending was one of the best ending's I have ever seen on Stargate. I don't remember ever laughing that hard at an episode!!

Thanks Ren(I got the name right, correct?)
                  Yes! I loved having him in the episode, it added this really fun element that I loved, despite the context..

The episode kind of has multiple personalities in my opinion, heh. I mean, there are some interactions that I love and others I could've done without, heh.

Oh god.. the ending *giggles* You know, I watched this episode with my brother and the look on his face at the end was pretty much exactly like Teal'c's lol. The 'oh please let me die now' face..

And yep, I'm Ren

I did really love that moment where Teal'c was glaring at Jacek, hehe..

EDIT: I can see where you're coming from Stef, some parts of this episode I like, and others I don't care for.
                  Last edited by Odakota_Rose; 29 August 2007, 06:14 PM.

sigpic
                  Sig by Odakota_Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                    Aside from the D/V scene that many have already explained...I felt like the quality of the story was mediocre and Fred Willard just seemed completely wrong for Vala's father. CB has chemistry with everyone...but him. I guess it's because it had so much promise but it never really came together. Don't get me wrong, there are good parts (Sam/Vala scenes, Landry/Vala, Sam scolding Vala's father, the subtly veiled rib at SF channel, Teal'c and the "Virginia Dialogues," and CB's performance)...but it just doesn't work as a whole. It's disappointing more than anything else, because this was our last chance to get some of Vala's backstory and it really didn't offer up much Again, I just find it to be the weakest episode in the entire season...which isn't to say it's awful...just bad by comparison. Sometimes I may overstate my dislike
                    I'd just like to say ditto to everything you wrote Stef And then I'll keep quiet till the ep actually comes up and distract myself with ficcing until the discussion tonight because FT is really hot topic for me

T-minus 1.5 hours till Uninvited
                    ||My Fanfiction: FF.net & My LJ || Vala Multi-Shipping LJ Comm||

Banner made by Stef!

Comment

Originally posted by Milena_D View Post
                      I'd just like to say ditto to everything you wrote Stef And then I'll keep quiet till the ep actually comes up and distract myself with ficcing until the discussion tonight because FT is really hot topic for me

T-minus 1.5 hours till Uninvited
                      Heh, I keep telling myself to stop jumping ahead, FT makes me talkative for some reason..

I had this idea for a fic I wanted to try, and I typed out a bunch of it the other night and it's mysteriously vanished from my computer now, knowing me I probably got tired and didn't save it..

sigpic
                      Sig by Odakota_Rose

Comment

Hey guys, wish I could stay and post tonight but it's another early morning for me tommorrow so i've gotta crash. (training for orientation leaders at uni this week. looooong days)
                        But i'm looking forward to reading everyone's opinions as always (just finished catching up from the last little while. i'm excited for Stef's next vid )
                        anyway have a good discussion guys and hopefully i can get back in on this talkin after all the new kids have settled into uni allowing me to have some free time!

ciao bellas

nat
                        My Fic: LJ & FF.net

Comment

Can't wait until you can join in on the discussions Hopefully people will be able to make it to at least the MM one!

Okay, so I just spent time watching and capping Uninvited. I am sooo prepared tonight!!

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

:grin: I've got it cued up and ready to go.

sigpic
                            Sig by Odakota_Rose

Comment

Okay, is everyone ready? It's now time to discuss a guilty pleasure of mine....

Remember to try to include your favorite scene(s), picture(s), and quote(s).

-Stef

Comment

Okay, so like I said, this is actually one of my favorites. I wouldn't list it in my top five simply because MM, TQ2, BG, 200, and Unending are just too great to be not be up there!!

Reasons why I like this episode:

1. It was the first episode I watched after seeing TPTB a loooong time ago, and got me addicted.

2. This is, in my opinion, one of the best team episodes. Everyone contributes something.

3. I really see Vala's integration into the team. Sometimes they listen to her, sometimes they don't...but they include her in discussions, which is key.

4. I like that Landry gets fleshed out a bit more, we see a quirkier side to his character.

5. Teal'c/Vala, Sam/Vala, and Landry/Cam are all awesome!!

6. CB/Vala looks fantastic.

7. I like BB in leather.

Favorites in a minute...

-Stef

Comment

Working...
                                X