Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
    Well, I did it. I finally did it.

In my systematic rewatch of SG-1, I finally rewatched "Chimera." Man alive, that was a struggle. I know that we just hashed some of these points out, but I wanted to give my reflection on the episode since it's been years since I watched it.

Also, did you know that Ben Browder was originally offered the role of Pete, but he declined? Found that little tidbit here. I'm so curious to know what the character would have been like if he had accepted the role.

Thoughts and analysis in spoilers just because there is so much Pete.
    Spoiler:

- The humming. Ouch. Even if it's not meant to, that scene comes across as very insensitive to me.

- When they crash the retirement party, Pete says "It's nice to know people still stay together no matter what. Isn't it?" Sam doesn't answer, and as they continue to dance, she places her head by his and gets this really stressed and pained look on her face. I know that Sam feels like she needed to have a boyfriend to move on from Jack, but I do fault her a bit for continuing her relationship with Pete (during this episode and later in Season 8) when she obviously is still in love with another man. I honestly do feel bad for Pete when Sam breaks up with him in "Threads." She never, ever should have let that relationship progress so far.

- The shove-me-up-against-a-wall scene was ... so out of place for SG-1. It makes me very happy that the rest of the series wasn't concerned with who's sleeping together each week.

- The thing that really struck me was this time around was that I had less of a problem with Sam and Pete's "morning after" conversation than I did with the background check. Yeah, it was more than a little insensitive and childish that Pete left in a huff and guilted Sam by implying that a relationship may not be possible if she kept her job secret, but the background check almost ... just almost introduces Pete as a villain (seriously, listen to the music in the scene where he asks Farrity to check up on her - in any other episode, with any other character, that would have been an indication that said character's doomed to get found out and kicked to the curb by the end of the episode).

- By far, the most painful moment was Sam and Jack's discussion in her lab. Poor Jack looks so miserable, but then Sam awkwardly makes the conversation about wanting to tell him about the Stargate. Again, it came across as a really insensitive moment for Jack, and the same scene could have existed if Sam had been talking to Daniel or Teal'c instead (even though, in the episode, Daniel and Teal'c probably don't know about Pete yet).

- Sam doesn't make any sense to me when Pete shows up at the stakeout. They aren't at her house, they're at Daniel's. It should be super obvious at that point that he was following her. He distracts Sam and endangers the mission. He gets himself hurt in the process, and then, Sam actually tells him that if he survives she'll tell him everything!? What!? And the way she continues to just lay over him in the grass after Jack and Teal'c take down Osiris just felt so un-Sam-like.

- The ending awkwardly refuses to deal with any of the issues that Pete caused before. Sam never addresses the issue with Pete about why he was at the stakeout at all, and we don't know if Sam knows about the background check or the stalking. I can only choose to believe that at this point, she doesn't know about them, because I just can't accept that she would have found out and not have been really angry with Pete for doing that.

If that's the case, and Sam doesn't know, then at the end of the episode, Sam has divulged knowledge of the Stargate to a man who is hiding the lengths to which he went to find out about her and her job. Pete is hiding secrets from Sam, just like Pete's wife kept from him. Not exactly the best start to a relationship, whether you think Sam should be with Jack or not.

Now I'm going to have to go and read Rachel500's Aftershocks follow-up to "Chimera," since I think it's the best tag dealing with the issues in this episode. Waking Up

Also, it struck me that the writers missed the opportunity for a wondrously angsty/humorous/awkward moment because Jack and Pete never met onscreen.
    I try not to be bothered by anything Pete related. But this just has me gnashing my teeth and wondering if I should see the dentist about the damage I'm doing to my teeth.

I blame the writers for the whole Pete thing. And I blame Amanda a bit for not calling them on some of the stuff that they allowed to happen. She had to see what the whole thing was doing to her character. Of course, she could have called them on it and they ignored her, which seems more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      I blame the writers for the whole Pete thing. And I blame Amanda a bit for not calling them on some of the stuff that they allowed to happen. She had to see what the whole thing was doing to her character. Of course, she could have called them on it and they ignored her, which seems more likely.
      Yeah. Another example of the writers throwing characterization out of the window for their scenario to take place (Ascension yo). I don't like to blame Sam too much, to be honest. She got so much hate thrown at her before for un-deserved reasons. And she was at a bad place in her life.
      The writing is mainly to blame, here. Sam deserved better. Maybe the writers ignored her, yes. They did ignore her when she protested the marriage proposal, after all.

- When they crash the retirement party, Pete says "It's nice to know people still stay together no matter what. Isn't it?" Sam doesn't answer, and as they continue to dance, she places her head by his and gets this really stressed and pained look on her face.
      Kinda liked that bit, though. Also, about the bolded :
      Sam's inner Jack from Grace : "I will always be there for you. No matter what."
      She was so thinking about Jack in this scene. I always knew it. But I just realized that the repeat of the bolded line was probably on purpose. I guess there a few good stuff to remember among the awful for this episode.
      My Tumblr.
      My Tumblr Art Blog.
      My Deviantart page.

Comment

Well, I did it. I finally did it.

In my systematic rewatch of SG-1, I finally rewatched "Chimera." Man alive, that was a struggle. I know that we just hashed some of these points out, but I wanted to give my reflection on the episode since it's been years since I watched it.

Also, did you know that Ben Browder was originally offered the role of Pete, but he declined? Found that little tidbit here. I'm so curious to know what the character would have been like if he had accepted the role.

Thoughts and analysis in spoilers just because there is so much Pete.
        Spoiler:

- The humming. Ouch. Even if it's not meant to, that scene comes across as very insensitive to me.

- When they crash the retirement party, Pete says "It's nice to know people still stay together no matter what. Isn't it?" Sam doesn't answer, and as they continue to dance, she places her head by his and gets this really stressed and pained look on her face. I know that Sam feels like she needed to have a boyfriend to move on from Jack, but I do fault her a bit for continuing her relationship with Pete (during this episode and later in Season 8) when she obviously is still in love with another man. I honestly do feel bad for Pete when Sam breaks up with him in "Threads." She never, ever should have let that relationship progress so far.

- The shove-me-up-against-a-wall scene was ... so out of place for SG-1. It makes me very happy that the rest of the series wasn't concerned with who's sleeping together each week.

- The thing that really struck me was this time around was that I had less of a problem with Sam and Pete's "morning after" conversation than I did with the background check. Yeah, it was more than a little insensitive and childish that Pete left in a huff and guilted Sam by implying that a relationship may not be possible if she kept her job secret, but the background check almost ... just almost introduces Pete as a villain (seriously, listen to the music in the scene where he asks Farrity to check up on her - in any other episode, with any other character, that would have been an indication that said character's doomed to get found out and kicked to the curb by the end of the episode).

- By far, the most painful moment was Sam and Jack's discussion in her lab. Poor Jack looks so miserable, but then Sam awkwardly makes the conversation about wanting to tell him about the Stargate. Again, it came across as a really insensitive moment for Jack, and the same scene could have existed if Sam had been talking to Daniel or Teal'c instead (even though, in the episode, Daniel and Teal'c probably don't know about Pete yet).

- Sam doesn't make any sense to me when Pete shows up at the stakeout. They aren't at her house, they're at Daniel's. It should be super obvious at that point that he was following her. He distracts Sam and endangers the mission. He gets himself hurt in the process, and then, Sam actually tells him that if he survives she'll tell him everything!? What!? And the way she continues to just lay over him in the grass after Jack and Teal'c take down Osiris just felt so un-Sam-like.

- The ending awkwardly refuses to deal with any of the issues that Pete caused before. Sam never addresses the issue with Pete about why he was at the stakeout at all, and we don't know if Sam knows about the background check or the stalking. I can only choose to believe that at this point, she doesn't know about them, because I just can't accept that she would have found out and not have been really angry with Pete for doing that.

If that's the case, and Sam doesn't know, then at the end of the episode, Sam has divulged knowledge of the Stargate to a man who is hiding the lengths to which he went to find out about her and her job. Pete is hiding secrets from Sam, just like Pete's wife kept from him. Not exactly the best start to a relationship, whether you think Sam should be with Jack or not.

Now I'm going to have to go and read Rachel500's Aftershocks follow-up to "Chimera," since I think it's the best tag dealing with the issues in this episode. Waking Up

Also, it struck me that the writers missed the opportunity for a wondrously angsty/humorous/awkward moment because Jack and Pete never met onscreen.
        'chimera' is the ONLY episode that i didn't like sam. you're very right about her being insensitive to jack's feelings.
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
          Kinda liked that bit, though. Also, about the bolded :
          Sam's inner Jack from Grace : "I will always be there for you. No matter what."
          She was so thinking about Jack in this scene. I always knew it. But I just realized that the repeat of the bolded line was probably on purpose. I guess there a few good stuff to remember among the awful for this episode.
          Absolutely, and nice observation! I love finding dialogue parallels in these episodes. The other one that I noticed in that same scene is that when Sam and Pete are dancing, Sam says, "This is great" which of course, in my mind, recalls Sam sitting on the dock in "Threads/Moebius" says the same thing (or rather those episodes recall "Chimera").

It strikes me that in both situations, Sam is being pushed out of her comfort zone and encouraged to try new things by the men in her life. She repeatedly shoots down Jack's invites to go fishing (in part) because she doesn't think that that's a relaxing activity. In the same way, knowing how dedicated Sam always has been to her career and knowing that she doesn't date much, she's probably not one to just go out dancing, regardless of who she's with.

But even if Sam doesn't naturally want to go fishing or dancing, I think that when she tries new things, she finds that those activities can be fun/fulfilling/relaxing depending on who she's with.

For me, it just seems like that really increases the amount of shippiness in referring to fishing with Jack in the same way that she came to enjoy dancing with Pete.
          sigpic
          The Return of King Arthur
          Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
          acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Absolutely, and nice observation! I love finding dialogue parallels in these episodes. The other one that I noticed in that same scene is that when Sam and Pete are dancing, Sam says, "This is great" which of course, in my mind, recalls Sam sitting on the dock in "Threads/Moebius" says the same thing (or rather those episodes recall "Chimera").

It strikes me that in both situations, Sam is being pushed out of her comfort zone and encouraged to try new things by the men in her life. She repeatedly shoots down Jack's invites to go fishing (in part) because she doesn't think that that's a relaxing activity. In the same way, knowing how dedicated Sam always has been to her career and knowing that she doesn't date much, she's probably not one to just go out dancing, regardless of who she's with.

But even if Sam doesn't naturally want to go fishing or dancing, I think that when she tries new things, she finds that those activities can be fun/fulfilling/relaxing depending on who she's with.

For me, it just seems like that really increases the amount of shippiness in referring to fishing with Jack in the same way that she came to enjoy dancing with Pete.
            I personally think that she shoots down Jack's suggestions to go fishing because she's terrified to be around him for such an extended period of time without the uniform to remind her of all the reasons why she shouldn't go **ahem** FISHING **ahem** with him.

But that might just be me. . .
            sigpic
            My Stories: FFdotNet
            My Stories AO3
            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
              I personally think that she shoots down Jack's suggestions to go fishing because she's terrified to be around him for such an extended period of time without the uniform to remind her of all the reasons why she shouldn't go **ahem** FISHING **ahem** with him.

all that temptation would be tempting...

yeah, she *knew* how difficult it would be to keep her hands to herself.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post

Haha! Oh definitely! That's why I wrote that it's only part of the reason.

In "Sight Unseen," Sam tells Jonas, "Colonel O’Neill asked me to go fishing with him, but to be honest, I find this [dinking around with an alien device] more relaxing."

But I can see how she would find that would be more relaxing than restraining herself from jumping her commanding officer...
                sigpic
                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Hi guys, long time no see!

Has anyone read book 6 in the SGA Legacy Series? There's an uber shippy scene in it I wanted to share with you if its not already been shared.
                  Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                  If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post

Has anyone read book 6 in the SGA Legacy Series? There's an uber shippy scene in it I wanted to share with you if its not already been shared.
                    Is it the scene about fishing in two galaxies?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      Is it the scene about fishing in two galaxies?
                      No, if I remember correctly, that was in the 6th book.

I wanna know the shippy stuff too now though, because I haven't had tome to read the seventh book yet. Please tell us... under a spoiler tag or something.

EDIT: Whoops... apparently my brain's not quite there. NEI was talking about the 6th book. For some reason I thought she was talking about the 7th. Is there even a 7th yet, or did I dream that???

Oh and if she was talking about the one you're referring too... hehe... yeah, that one's pretty explicit.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
                        No, if I remember correctly, that was in the 6th book.

I wanna know the shippy stuff too now though, because I haven't had tome to read the seventh book yet. Please tell us... under a spoiler tag or something.

EDIT: Whoops... apparently my brain's not quite there. NEI was talking about the 6th book. For some reason I thought she was talking about the 7th. Is there even a 7th yet, or did I dream that???

Oh and if she was talking about the one you're referring too... hehe... yeah, that one's pretty explicit.
                        Yes. There is a 7th Book. I think it's called "Unascended". I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good comments about it. I have a pile of books waiting for me to read when I accumulate enough enthusiasm to do so.

Comment

But I can see how she would find that would be more relaxing than restraining herself from jumping her commanding officer...
                          And maybe Jack would turn out to be just equally tempted...
                          sigpic

Comment

Yep, it's that one, poles and all lol
                            Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                            If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by SOtogether View Post
                              And maybe Jack would turn out to be just equally tempted...
                              Maybe?????

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post

Please, please, please! I'm not invested enough in Atlantis to want to read the Legacy series, but I definitely want to know about the shippy bits!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X