Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    Ten Drabbles in Ten Days!

Remember, this doesn't have to be hard. Just a fun little scene/story in 100 words or less. Post them here whenever the muse strikes you (or you strike it)! I'll post a new prompt every 24 hours or so for the next ten days.

Drabble Prompt #9
    Never Again
    Never Again

The party was in full swing in front of the cabin. People were laughing, dancing, drinking and generally having a good time. In retrospect, Sam was glad for the decision to hold the festivities at the cabin. It allowed the... unusual guests more freedom to move about and enjoy themselves.

Jack watched Sam as she surveyed the scene. His own gaze travelled down to her left hand, where the cause for the celebration glinted brightly in the sunlight.

Never again would they have to hide their feelings for each other. It was finally in the open for all to see.
    Last edited by picardythirds; 22 July 2013, 04:04 PM. Reason: typo...which resulted in an extra word and then I had to edit the drabble...lol. All done and still exactly 100 words!

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      *looks at novel-length fics of self...*

Yeah, me too! I don't really do brief, usually. But I like to challenge myself when it comes to my writing, hence me participating anyway. I've already applied something I learned while working on the drabbles to another story of mine, so I'm happy even if the drabbles give me a headache sometimes!

drabbles i can do b/c they're small!!

~i can do long stories, but only in my head.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
        Last year was my first attempt ever at drabbles. Can't even remember if I kept them all to 100 words on the nose. This year, honestly, it's all I've had time for so I'm grateful for the opportunity to be creative in brief snippets.
        i didn't even try to limit myself with 100 only.

i broke the drabble regulation!!
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          In my opinion, it totally depends on your writing style and how you plan to continue the rest of the story. Overall, I always make my chapters a similar length and hate it when a story has large differences between chapter length throughout a story. The actual word count aim per chapter depends on the story for me but tends to be around 3500-6000 words, usually with no more than 1K between min and max. Of course, I don't always manage (tend to write more) but at least the chapters are all long, compared to stories of 1K chapters or even less - or worse, one chapter being 4K words and the next one 1K or less.

So, it's really up to you but I would suggest making sure the following chapters will be somewhere between 3500 and 5000 words then, too. Also, it's important the chapter isn't boring because no one wants to have to struggle through the introduction of a story and that can be the case if it's too long. Last but not least, I would suggest getting a beta to look at it, someone who has experience writing stories of similar length and can give you advice about it.
          Thanks for the advice. Looks like it might not get posted for shipday after all, depends on how quickly I can turn around the next draft and how quickly my beta is able to look at it.
          Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
          If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

i've never contributed to one of the drabble challenges (at least i don't remember doing it ), so i *really* enjoyed the writing and reading this time around!

for all the peeps i couldn't green, GREEN!!!

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
              Drabble Prompt #10
              Obsession

I've tried to tell this little story from a fangirl's point of view:

100 frames gif - clickable thumbnail:

Spoiler:

Okay, well maybe I'm an obsessive fangirl, but those looks are just HOT!
              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

I wish I'd have done this earlier

OBSESSION

She pulled the baggie out of her vest examining its contents.

For a moment she just stared at it. She wanted it so badly, needed it, especially after the day they’d had. She was a junkie and it was time for her next fix.

“Carter?” He couldn’t keep the whine out of his voice, “Please?”

Jack’s begging only made her grin at him evilly. Slowly pulling the wrapper off of the chocolate she watched him drool with anticipation.

She took one bite and then another and another.

“C’mon, Sam. You know you love me.”

It was true she did, but this wasn’t love, it was obsession.
                sigpic

----------
                FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

I'm watching the Mummy and i can't help but think of Rick O'Connell as Jack O'Neill, Evelyn as Samantha Carter, and her brother Jonathan as Daniel Jackson and the villiam Imhotep as Apophis.
                  Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 22 July 2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    I'm watching the Mummy and i kept help but think of Rick O'Connell as Jack O'Neill, Evelyn as Samantha Carter, and her brother Jonathan as Daniel Jackson and the villiam Imhotep as Apophis.
                    And the tall guy in the black robes and long black hair is Teal'c.

Comment

It's my first time ever doing drabbles and it's more challenging than I thought it was keeping to 100 words all the time!

But I'm just glad for the creative prompts.

Drabble green to everyone whom I couldn't green!
                      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        And the tall guy in the black robes and long black hair is Teal'c.
                        lol. you got it. i also forgot that the guy who plays Kasuf in the Stargate movie also plays the Curator dude/ Evelyn's boss in the mummy.

Comment

Slightly OT:
                          Spoiler:

I had a bit of a Jack moment on Facebook. I get posts from the Air Force, and today's post was about a C-5 Galaxy. My first thought? "Secrets" lol

Comment

Does anyone remember a S/J story where they decide to conceive a child during "Lost City", so it was born with the knowledge of the Ancients? I can't remember whether it was an accident or intentional, then Jack got the repository stuff taking out by Thor and the child was born. I think it was a pretty long story, cause it follows on with the child helping them against the Ori.

and another one where it was a similar set up, but Jack knew the best bet was to conceive a child to pass on the knowledge. The child wouldn't die cause it was born with the Ancient knowledge and the gene as well. He didn't tell Carter what his plans were and somehow used his powers to guarantee she would conceive a child, the only time they made love.

any ideas?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Ryan View Post
                              Does anyone remember a S/J story where they decide to conceive a child during "Lost City", so it was born with the knowledge of the Ancients? I can't remember whether it was an accident or intentional, then Jack got the repository stuff taking out by Thor and the child was born. I think it was a pretty long story, cause it follows on with the child helping them against the Ori.

and another one where it was a similar set up, but Jack knew the best bet was to conceive a child to pass on the knowledge. The child wouldn't die cause it was born with the Ancient knowledge and the gene as well. He didn't tell Carter what his plans were and somehow used his powers to guarantee she would conceive a child, the only time they made love.

any ideas?
                              The second one sounds like Offworlder's Inside the Dragon's egg.
                              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

OT/Jack moment
                                Spoiler:
                                so i had a jack moment today and i ran into an old rival/enemy/nemesis and he and i exchanged words and he was really egging me on and I was about to hit him when he said "if you hit me, i'll have you arrested for assault and battery". and to just shut him up i said to hime "i'm not going to hit you, so and so. I'm just going to shoot you." and he just had this look on his face like he thought i was serious. so if you don't hear from me for a while, it means i might either be in prison or thoroughly question by local law enforcement.
                                Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 22 July 2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X