Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    That's still self-pimping considering it's a recommendation thread... Although I don't think there are any rules against it, I've certainly seen plenty of people do it there.
    I see no problem posting your fics in a fic thread. Other writers do it, so what's the problem? I don't trawl around the fic sites or LJ, so this is one of the main places for me to find stories.

ETA: What hedwig said.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Anybody can recommend a fic on that thread. Even some of the mods do it with their own stories. And if they do it, anyone can.
      Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
      I see no problem posting your fics in a fic thread. Other writers do it, so what's the problem? I don't trawl around the fic sites or LJ, so this is one of the main places for me to find stories.

ETA: What hedwig said.
      I'm not saying you shouldn't post there but that it is still self-pimping, something sasha713 said she wasn't entirely comfortable with doing (or something to that effect).

For me personally, it just goes against my nature to recommend to anyone that they read what I've written. Maybe it's a cultural thing but most people I know (IRL), myself included, dislike arrogance/overconfidence and to me self-pimping falls under that. In my experience that is something more widely 'accepted' in the US and perhaps even the UK, but I much prefer modesty and down-to-earthness, which is far more common in my country.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm not saying you shouldn't post there but that it is still self-pimping, something sasha713 said she wasn't entirely comfortable with doing (or something to that effect).

For me personally, it just goes against my nature to recommend to anyone that they read what I've written. Maybe it's a cultural thing but most people I know (IRL), myself included, dislike arrogance/overconfidence and to me self-pimping falls under that. In my experience that is something more widely 'accepted' in the US and perhaps even the UK, but I much prefer modesty and down-to-earthness, which is far more common in my country.
        I wouldn't call sharing your work immodest, arrogant, or getting above yourself or others.

Speaking of sharing . . .

Comment

I hardly think that telling people that you have written a story is arrogant or showing over-confidence. I think that it is sharing information.

It may come as a surprise to you, but I am not psychic, therefore I need this information posted on a thread I read, so I can find these stories.
          sigpic

Comment

Bev I thought you were psychic!

*hangs head in disappointment*

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
              I hardly think that telling people that you have written a story is arrogant or showing over-confidence. I think that it is sharing information.

It may come as a surprise to you, but I am not psychic, therefore I need this information posted on a thread I read, so I can find these stories.
              I think that there are many opinions about the whole self-pimping thing. I don't mind if people do it, but I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I think this is one of those things that people must agree to disagree on.
              "You ended the world for me, because you believed I could bring it back." -unknown

Comment

The Best Shippy Episode is . . .

Threads (8)

vs.

Divide and Conquer (6)

I kept going back and forth between the two! I was set to vote for Threads because of "Always" and Fishing, but then I thought about D&C... the forcefield scene, Jack sacrificing his brain for Carter, all the wonderful looks between the two and of course, Jack's confession... these weighed heavier on the shippy side for me!

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                  Bev I thought you were psychic!

*hangs head in disappointment*
                  I knew you would be disappointed.

Originally posted by sasha713
                  I think that there are many opinions about the whole self-pimping thing. I don't mind if people do it, but I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I think this is one of those things that people must agree to disagree on.
                  Nobody is forcing you to post links to your stories if you don't want to. I am only saying that if someone has written a fic and would like to share it, then the S/J Fanfic thread is a good place to post it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sasha713 View Post
                    I think many people post recs for their own stories because their proud of the work they've done and would like those of us interested in s/j stories or SG stories to read them. And where better to let people know about them than here on Gateworld. At least, that's my interpretation of the subject.

Comment

I personally don't see it as arrogance or overconfidence when someone posts a link to a new story he or she wrote. I am very happy to read new S/J fic!! I think authors just want fans to read the story and enjoy (or not), otherwise why bother posting on-line? I understand that you are saying to recommend your own work is a form of bragging, but I don't think that is the case for most authors, imo.

Comment

Yay! Love seeing the Playmobil S/J back in action!

HAPPY EASTER!!

Comment

There's a difference between posting "I wrote a new fic about blah blah blah. I think people who like X will like this" and posting "This is the greatest ever! You've gotta read it!" Nobody is going to know about a new story if you don't at least say *something* about it!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey guys. It took me forever to catch up to page 1509 the other day and when I finally tried posting I couldn't. **Bummer**

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                            Do you think that if Thera and Jonah relationship was sexual, Sam and Jack could really restart working together after that? I'm not so sure about that...
                            How ackward would *that* be. They're in love with each other and have been desperately trying to toe the line all these years, then to finally have each other only to go back to life as usual. That would have taken superhuman effort imo, becasue they would have stopped, not because of a relationship gone bad, but because they weren't allow to anymore.

Too much.

TOO much.

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                            I probably won't be here until the evening tomorrow... so wanted to wish everyone who celebrates...

HAPPY EASTER!
                            I do.

Thank you and I wish everyone else the same.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            I think many people post recs for their own stories because their proud of the work they've done and would like those of us interested in s/j stories or SG stories to read them. And where better to let people know about them than here on Gateworld. At least, that's my interpretation of the subject.
                            Agreed.

The first fic I posted was on GW because of the great encouragement and support I got from the shippers on this thread. They made me feel safe enough to actually put my fic out there and I've always been grateful for that.

If I post fic on the thread, like someone said before, it's usually in response to a great prompt that came up here, or it's something I wanted to share with the ship family because I value the opinion of the people here. I certainly don't think my fic is something that I should be arrogant about - I'm not that good - but I appreciate when shippers read and respond to it.

Thing is, when it comes to Sam/Jack ship in any form, fic, vids, banners, artwork, this thread is home, and that means something to me.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Mada
                            As a matter of FIC

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post

Agreed.

The first fic I posted was on GW because of the great encouragement and support I got from the shippers on this thread. They made me feel safe enough to actually put my fic out there and I've always been grateful for that.

If I post fic on the thread, like someone said before, it's usually in response to a great prompt that came up here, or it's something I wanted to share with the ship family because I value the opinion of the people here. I certainly don't think my fic is something that I should be arrogant about - I'm not that good - but I appreciate when shippers read and respond to it.

Thing is, when it comes to Sam/Jack ship in any form, fic, vids, banners, artwork, this thread is home, and that means something to me.
                              Writing for SJ started for me because I couldn't find the fics i wanted to read, so I wrote what I wanted to read. I can see your perspective on this and it is definitely a positive thought. We are shippers for a reason and, those of us who write for the ship are showing our loyalty and appreciation for S/J by writing. Sharing it with other shippers shouldn't feel wrong or arrogant. I definitely don't want to come across as arrogant or cocky when it comes to my writing.

All i want people to know about me is that I'm a shipper with a Sam & Jack OTP issue that I can't seem to get a cure for lol
                              "You ended the world for me, because you believed I could bring it back." -unknown

Comment

I'm totally cool with self-pimping. It's one thing to be 'in your face' about it (repeatedly mentioning it), but dropping by and saying "Hey, gotta new fic..." because really, not everyone is subscribed. I, for example, don't always post on ff.net which means that unless you're subscribed to me on AO3, readers may miss something.

Selling yourself a little isn't a bad thing. If someone beats you to it (as my story was rec'd here before I had a chance to drop by mentioning it), then woohoo, but otherwise, I don't think there's anything arrogant about it

Comment

Working...
                                X