Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    So here's a shippy question for all of you. . .

I'm watching "Point of View" (in preparation for a fic for a certain sig maker--Oma ), and it struck me that Dr. Samantha Carter is supposedly married to Jack O'Neill in her universe, and yet she identifies herself as "Samantha Carter" and NOT "Samantha O'Neill".

What does that mean?
    Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
    Agreed! She was a noted and probably published doctor in Theoretical Astrophysics before she met Jack. So she decided to keep Cater professionally. But Cater-O'neill has a nice ring to it

btw... Isn't "Tapping" Amanda's maiden name... not her husband's? Perhaps she also had some influence on the decision for Dr. Carter to not take O'neill's name... (just an observation)
    Yes, this. Many professional women who are successful before marriage do not change their names professionally and/or personally because their professional identity is already firmly associated with their name and/or because they want to separate their personal and professional lives. I, personally, do not intend to change my name if/when I marry. Though I have had several men tell me that they would happily change their name to mine.
    sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

i just first ever heard of alternate universes from the sg1 series, and they were alternate universes, like where we saw teh first other sam with her long hair. (and she kissed our jack, but i forgive her b/c amanda had fun )

that's what 'au' always meant to me, but i guess it changed over time. i mean the initials
      I think that there's a difference between alternate timelines and alternate universes, though. Is that the question?

Alternate universes are when there are two of nearly exactly the same world happening concurrently with slight changes based on decisions made.

Alternate timelines are when something happens to a past for a future that's already occurring that changes things in the future. Eureka, for example, (if you watch that show) is exploring alternate timelines right now. Moebius is an alternate timeline story rather than an alternate universe story.

THat's why in Eureka there's not Entropic cascade failure--because the characters came back to a different timeline in the same universe--and why there wasn't an issue of that in Moebius--because the characters were still OUR Sam and Jack, just affected by different pasts.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
        btw... Isn't "Tapping" Amanda's maiden name... not her husband's? Perhaps she also had some influence on the decision for Dr. Carter to not take O'neill's name... (just an observation)
        Indeed. Amanda's husband's name is Alan Kovacs.

Oh, and . . .
        Spoiler:
        Jolinar!!!!

I'm just sayin'!
        sigpic
        The Return of King Arthur
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

So here's a shippy question for all of you. . .

I'm watching "Point of View" (in preparation for a fic for a certain sig maker--Oma ), and it struck me that Dr. Samantha Carter is supposedly married to Jack O'Neill in her universe, and yet she identifies herself as "Samantha Carter" and NOT "Samantha O'Neill".

What does that mean?
          I believe she kept Carter so that the writers could have their big reveal later in the episode. She's nice that way.

Oh and it was SAM! AT said so.

Comment

Oh, Jolinar! I find I love episodes that involve her! In the Line of Duty and Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know are some of my favorites! They also provide some lovely shippy moments!

Comment

Haha, I love our S/J controversial topic debates. The one's that never fail to pop up every once in awhile. We each come in with our own opinion, try to convince each other to think the way we do, never really succeed (kinda like all those annoying political campaign ads invading my TV. ), and then go on our merry way without any hard feelings.

Only to revisit the same discussion a couple months later.
              sigpic
              The Return of King Arthur
              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by seahen View Post

oh and it was sam! At said so.
                sally

sigpic

Comment

You can read the new and improved version here. . . Overheard . . . if you'd like.

And thanks! ((more squishy huggles))
                  (((Akamaimom)))

Left you a review. Teriffic!

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    Haha, I love our S/J controversial topic debates. The one's that never fail to pop up every once in awhile. We each come in with our own opinion, try to convince each other to think the way we do, never really succeed (kinda like all those annoying political campaign ads invading my TV. ), and then go on our merry way without any hard feelings.

**Puts on MOM voice**

Well if TPTB would just give us something new to work with, we wouldn't have to discuss the same things over and over again, now, would we?

**Looks for paddle**
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

Oh, and . . .
                      Spoiler:
                      Jolinar!!!!

I'm just sayin'!
                      I agree too. When Jack is almost walking out the door, just after Sam yells "Jack! No, you can't leave me etc..." she instantly reverts to Jolinar, saying, "What will it take?" I was 15 the first time I saw that eppy and I knew THEN that it was Jolinar, trying to use what effect she thought Sam had on Jack to convince him.

Which makes me wonder: if that is the case and Jolinar was drawing on Sam's feelings at that point, does that mean that she had some more feelings for her colonel than she should? And was she accustomed to referring to him as "Jack" in her head?

*sits back from computer and wonders where that came from*

Comment

**Puts on MOM voice**

Well if TPTB would just give us something new to work with, we wouldn't have to discuss the same things over and over again, now, would we?

**Looks for paddle**
                        Yes, they should definitely have timeout at recess. And I could totally deal with something new. So VERY married!

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                          I agree too. When Jack is almost walking out the door, just after Sam yells "Jack! No, you can't leave me etc..." she instantly reverts to Jolinar, saying, "What will it take?" I was 15 the first time I saw that eppy and I knew THEN that it was Jolinar, trying to use what effect she thought Sam had on Jack to convince him.

Which makes me wonder: if that is the case and Jolinar was drawing on Sam's feelings at that point, does that mean that she had some more feelings for her colonel than she should? And was she accustomed to referring to him as "Jack" in her head?

I think so.

In fact, I've been watching season 8 recently, and was wondering why Fifth didn't take the form of Jack, since that's who Sam has deeper, more mature feelings for than Pete. But Fifth chooses Pete to impersonate. I've finally concluded that it's because 1) Fifth figures that Sam, being in a relationship with Pete, would believe it quicker (boring reason) and 2) Sam's feelings for Jack are so deep and convoluted and complicated that Fifth, who is essentially a robot, couldn't comprehend them. So, he went for impersonating the obvious choice, the easily understandable choice, because the alternative was too complex and mature for his childlike mind to figure out.

And then he set his stage on a farm. In the country. There's no evidence that Pete likes the countryside, but ample evidence that Jack does. Hmmmm.

So that begs the question. Would Sam have been more tempted (before the reveal) by Jack in that farmhouse? Would she have "bought it" more quickly?
                          sigpic
                          My Stories AO3

Comment

Apparently I haven't done one of these since last year so here is the update to the & Song List. These are the new songs, 33 total:

This Time by Carrie Underwood

Look At Me by Carrie Underwood

Two Is Better Than One by Boys Like Girls

Truly by Lionel Richie

Keys To My Heart By Lonestar

Making Memories Of Us by Keith Urban

The Greatest by Michelle Williams

Together Forever by Rico J. Puno

Miss You More by BB Mak

I'll Never Go by Eric Santos

The One Who Won My Heart by Christian Bautista

Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

Since I Found You by Christian Bautista

Baby You Got That Something by David G. Evans

More Than You'll Ever Know by Michael Ruff

Someone Who Believes In You by Air Supply

Naturally By Selena Gomez

Simple Things by Jim Brickman

My Love is Here by Jim Brickman feat. Roch Voisine

It Must Be You by Jim Brickman

The Way You Look At Me by Christian Bautista

Thanks to You by Tyler Collins

You Made Me Live Again by Janet Basco

Million Miles Away by Joey Albert

Miss You More by BB Mak

No One Else Comes Close by Joe

Forevermore by Side A

No Arms Can Ever Hold You by Chris Norman

Let Me Be the One by Jolina Magdangal

Beautiful Girl by Christian Bautista

Beautiful In My Eyes by Christian Bautista

Because of You by Keith Martin

When I Look Into Your Heart by Amy Grant & Vince Gill
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            This brings the song list total to 303.
                            Last edited by planet_tv; 15 September 2010, 10:52 PM.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                              Yes, they should definitely have timeout at recess. And I could totally deal with something new. So VERY married!
                              At the very least, see the principal.

Who would put them in detention until they just made the &*#@% movie already!
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

**Puts on MOM voice**

**Looks for paddle**
                                Totally!!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

That seems probable, I like that

At the very least, see the principal.

Who would put them in detention until they just made the &*#@% movie already!

sigpic
                                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Working...
                                X