Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siles View Post
    But are these books canon or not?
    Pseudo-canon. Meaning TPTB can joss them anytime they like, but they're approved by MGM. So like the Star Trek novels are to Star Trek. At least that's my understanding!
    sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
      Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed Love Machine!

Re: the novels -- I'm a prereader for Heart's Desire, the SG-1 novel by Amy Griswold that's coming out next year, and while I'm sworn to secrecy about most of it I do have to say that I think most people on this thread would love it! It's set in the end of third season, and what's not to love about Jack and Sam being captured by pirates?
      Whoo! Even with the not-so-hot reviews, bad plots and even worse characterization, I do enjoy the majority of Fandemonium's books. And this one sounds great!

Originally posted by IggyMing View Post
      Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

That might actually be one book that I will bother to read. After all of the mostly negative comments that I've heard about most of the books, it sounds like Heart's Desire is worth a try. I'll keep my eye on it for when it hits the bookstores. Hopefully, there will be a hint of ship, just like we've gotten on the show, but even if there isn't, I like the idea of Sam and Jack being captured together... that seems kind of shippy to me anyway
      Hehe, Sam and Jack being captured together is probably my most favorite SG-1 cliche of all time!

Originally posted by siles View Post
      But are these books canon or not?
      Pseudo-canon. Meaning TPTB can joss them anytime they like, but they're approved by MGM. So like the Star Trek novels are to Star Trek. At least that's my understanding!
      Right. There are two different meanings of canon. A.) That it follows the accepted storyline and doesn't contradict anything from the TV show. B.) That it's an accepted part of the Stargate Universe.

So in a sense, are the books canon? Yes and no.

Yes because they follow the show and aren't able to make up storylines that contradict anything in the series. But no because they aren't recognized by TPTB as part of the series.
      sigpic
      The Return of King Arthur
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
      acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed Love Machine!

Re: the novels -- I'm a prereader for Heart's Desire, the SG-1 novel by Amy Griswold that's coming out next year, and while I'm sworn to secrecy about most of it I do have to say that I think most people on this thread would love it! It's set in the end of third season, and what's not to love about Jack and Sam being captured by pirates?
        Oh, interesting! I have some of the books, but have never read them...

Comment

OT: Novels
          Spoiler:
          Didn't they have one author of an SG1 book who said once she had never even seen an episode of the show?

Oh yeah...Sam soooooooooo loves Jack.
          Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
            Spoiler:
            Didn't they have one author of an SG1 book who said once she had never even seen an episode of the show?

Oh yeah...Sam soooooooooo loves Jack.
            Spoiler:
            I've never heard that. In fact, I heard that it was a prerequisite that an author had to watch every episode of the series to write the novel.
            sigpic
            Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

OT Fanfic books:

Spoiler:
              Well I don't know about any of that, but I would love to be given the chance to write one. Wouldn't that be fun?
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                Hehe, Sam and Jack being captured together is probably my most favorite SG-1 cliche of all time!
                Yup, it's a fan fiction classic scenario. How can something like that not be shippy?

Spoiler:
                Spoiler:
                I heard something similar, but I believe that was pre-Fandemonium (i.e., the publisher that developed the books before Fandemonium took over). At least, that's what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                  OT Fanfic books:

Spoiler:
                  Well I don't know about any of that, but I would love to be given the chance to write one. Wouldn't that be fun?
                  Novels:
                  Spoiler:
                  I would love to write one and have asked my publisher to approach them.

With regard to the most recent book, my longtime friend Geonn, a published (and award-winning) author himself, offers a terrific commentary/review on the latest book. You can find it on his LiveJournal page (click for link).

Again, Geonn is a writer who's opinion I value and whose writing is really terrific. Evaluate the novel on your own if you'd like, but I think he offers an honest, forthright review.

You'll find the info on the author who's not seen the show in there.

manip by me.
                  Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                    OT Fanfic books:

Spoiler:
                    Novels:
                    Spoiler:

With regard to the most recent book, my longtime friend Geonn, a published (and award-winning) author himself, offers a terrific commentary/review on the latest book. You can find it on his LiveJournal page (click for link).

Again, Geonn is a writer who's opinion I value and whose writing is really terrific. Evaluate the novel on your own if you'd like, but I think he offers an honest, forthright review.

That would be so cool! I'd totally read those novels!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      I've never heard that. In fact, I heard that it was a prerequisite that an author had to watch every episode of the series to write the novel.
                      Novels:
                      Spoiler:

OT Novels:

Spoiler:
                      There is no way Savile (author of Power Behind the Throne) watched every episode of SG1. That book was atrociously inacurate and OoC. It read like some editor down the line tried to throw in a few references to the episodes in a very ineffective attempt to save it.

I'm reading Four Dragons now. It is such an improvement over the last one, I'm probably giving a little more credit than if I had read it first. When I finish the book I'll share my thoughts with you, especially about the ship. (Note: Don't get your hopes up.)

Pol: I believe it was your friend's review on Amazon that I read. It gave a very good catalog of inacuracies in Savile's book.

I have to disagree with him on his opinion of Hydra, which I thoroughly disliked and found confusing and poorly plotted, and Valhalla, which I considered decent. But the rest of his statements are right on.
                      Last edited by hlndncr; 09 September 2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Novels:
                        Spoiler:

manip by me.
                        Spoiler:
                        Okay--I read his review. Wow. I wouldn't go near that book. That's really kind of distressing. Pol would do (and HAS done) SO much better!
                        sigpic
                        My Stories: FFdotNet
                        My Stories AO3
                        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Sam and Jack eating Jello together (age old blue/red debate), any guesses on what ep? (And notice Jack eats it with a fork. )

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                            Sam and Jack eating Jello together (age old blue/red debate), any guesses on what ep? (And notice Jack eats it with a fork. )

Proving Ground, when they're talking about the team they're training.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
                              Proving Ground, when they're talking about the team they're training.
                              You win! Jack is very happy for you. (Isn't he cute? YES!)

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

Love Sam's look in that. Makes me think that she is deliberately baiting Jack.
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X