X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    *Popping in...*

RE: the dress.

I have always hated Daniel's line (when Sam asks why she has to wear the dress) of "Why not, anthropologists dress like the natives all the time." (paraphrasing here).

Captain, Doctor, Samantha Carter is NOT an anthropologist, nor is she a social scientist of any sort. It was a weak argument for putting her in a dress, and one for which I blame the writing team. I would have written it more as *Sam* being the one willing to try new things, perhaps to "prove herself" to the still-new CO?

Whether the dress is pretty or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it was a device, and a weak one.

Now...with my shippy glasses back on...I love Jack's reaction. When he says something along the lines of, "you DO look great, you know." or whatever.

Inappropriate? Oh yeah.

Cute? Yup.
    While I take your point that it was a weak argument for Sam to comply, I'm glad Sam objected. Otherwise, a military Captain would have been willing to outfit herself in something that diminished her capability to fight.

But then for me the dress with its restricting heaviness, many petticoats and it's obscuring veil, is not only to put on display a woman of beauty as nothing more than an object to be admired, but is a symbol of a woman's weakness in the culture, designed to make a woman less physically able to do things. Sam can't move freely; she's weighed down and restricted by the dress. For me, it's one of the reasons why Abu manages to capture her and why her first attempt at escape fails.

For me, the dress is part of the story.

However.

I would have preferred it if the guys had been made to dress up too in Mongol clothing too so that scene of them seeing Sam in the dress was also her pointing out how ridiculous they looked. That to me would have sold the anthropology argument (even if Sam being kidnapped immediately provides a military reason for never dressing up in the future). They could have changed back into BDUs for the search for Sam the next morning.

But I do like Jack's acknowledgement to her and her slightly taken aback but pleased reaction.

sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
      While I take your point that it was a weak argument for Sam to comply, I'm glad Sam objected. Otherwise, a military Captain would have been willing to outfit herself in something that diminished her capability to fight.

But then for me the dress with its restricting heaviness, many petticoats and it's obscuring veil, is not only to put on display a woman of beauty as nothing more than an object to be admired, but is a symbol of a woman's weakness in the culture, designed to make a woman less physically able to do things. Sam can't move freely; she's weighed down and restricted by the dress. For me, it's one of the reasons why Abu manages to capture her and why her first attempt at escape fails.

For me, the dress is part of the story.

However.

I would have preferred it if the guys had been made to dress up too in Mongol clothing too so that scene of them seeing Sam in the dress was also her pointing out how ridiculous they looked. That to me would have sold the anthropology argument (even if Sam being kidnapped immediately provides a military reason for never dressing up in the future). They could have changed back into BDUs for the search for Sam the next morning.

But I do like Jack's acknowledgement to her and her slightly taken aback but pleased reaction.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/z...tionBanner.jpg
      Oh gosh, I should have made that clear. ME TOO!!! Emphatic head nods. Oh yes, I'm really glad she objected. I just...well, the writer in me would have handled it otherwise. <grin>

And OT: My blog's updated, and we're talkin' vacation pics folks. (Only 2 SG-related pics though, sorry.)
      Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Rachel500 said
        I like this idea a lot.

As for Jack's smile...RDA has a lot of different smiles. There's one particularly sweet one he used a lot as MacGyver and uses rarely as Jack. When he does use it, however, he's almost always smiling at Sam.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
          Rachel500 said

I like this idea a lot.

Seaboe
          I like that idea a lot too. After all, it's only fair the guys should have had to wear "native" garments as honored guests, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

Ah see that's the fic (one of anyway) that put me off reading WIPs because the sequel was never completed and I felt let down and left hanging by it. I might have been less upset had the fic not been so darn great. ) I always wait until fics are complete before reading these days.

Yes, I remember this now... I was disappointed that the sequel wasn't finished, too... but the original story was done, and very well written. It stands on it's own by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
              Yes, I remember this now... I was disappointed that the sequel wasn't finished, too... but the original story was done, and very well written. It stands on it's own by itself.
              Yes, the first story was outstanding, and then I read the sequel. IIRC, I had read all 20 or so chapters before the Author's Note popped up to say that she wouldn't be continuing. That, and some other WIPs, have made me very careful about reading either completed stories, or WIPs that I know are regularly updated. I hate being disappointed.

Comment

A:

Fluff: Alternate Realities (Where Sam and Jack are almost always together.)
                Angst: Air Force (What brought them together and keeps them apart.)
                Gutter: Abs (You know what I'm talking about.)

B:

Fluff: Bass that grow *this* big.
                Angst: Beneath the surface of Jonah and Thera are two people whose lives are dictated by rules.
                Gutter: Broca Divide virus making Sam go all I-must-mate-with-the-alpha-male.

C:

Fluff: Casting a fishing pole together. <3
                Angst: Calling her Carter all those years. (I find it angsty enough. ;P)
                Gutter: Checking his belly in Hathor.

D:

Fluff: Sitting on a dock, trying to catch non-existent fish.
                Angst: Desperately trying to break through that forceshield.
                Gutter: The "Do not disturb" sign on the puddlejumper door (Moebuis)

E:

Fluff: Event Horizon ("I adore you already.")
                Angst: Entity
                Gutter: Eye sex

F:

Fluff: Fishing. . .
                Angst: Fishing???
                Gutter: Fishing!!!

G:

Fluff: Giggling (at really bad jokes.)
                Angst: Grace
                Gutter: Guns (and other assorted side arms )

Comment

yes I do have to agree with Jack that Sam looked HOT in that dress....I think it would make a neat wedding dress...

Comment

I think we need another guess the shippy moment (I do anyway):

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      I think we need another guess the shippy moment (I do anyway):

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...PDVD_140-1.jpg
                      'the light', at the beginning when jack gives away that he and ? made a bet about whether sam would go on this trip/mission?
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

The beginning of "The Light" Sam's calling Jack on him and Daniel betting on her going to the planet.
                        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                          'the light', at the beginning when jack gives away that he and ? made a bet about whether sam would go on this trip/mission?
                          Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                          The beginning of "The Light" Sam's calling Jack on him and Daniel betting on her going to the planet.
                          You guys are good.

Here's your prize:

Comment

OT:
                            Spoiler:
                            Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Dropping off a fic that I just read

Refraction by rowan_d

A lovely, lyrical piece on how Sam and Jack get together when she's commanding Atlantis.
                              sigpic
                              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Thanks for the fic rec, Rachel! soo sweet I love the paper and the notes Jack sends to her!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X