LOL, I can see it!

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...ns/tutuman.gif

Does anyone remember who made this?

sigpic
    My vids Sig made by me

Comment

A short, somewhat angsty fic:

White Noise

Jack is thinking about Charlie and needs somebody to talk to, so he makes a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
        My own idea as to why everyone speaks English is... they actually aren't. The Stargate acts like a translator... kinda like the translator microbes in Farscape... once you've been zapped, you understand everything OF course, this doesn't hold up when Jack starts speaking Ancient in Fifth Race, or when the Jaffa talk in Gould, but I think it makes more sense than everyone on alien planets speaking English, even if they are all from Earth! IF that's the reasoning, they should all be speaking a form of Ancient Egypt.
        Joe Mallozzi said pretty much the same thing. From http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...best-in-show/::

AlainaRoss also writes: “…if Teyla can speak english, can she read and write it as well?”

Answer: Ah, the great English Alien Debate. This is a buy we inherited from the beginnings of SG-1. I’ve explained that, in my mind, every time someone steps through the gate they take on translator nanites that allow them to understand and be understood by the various off-world races they encounter. By this reasoning, Teyla doesn’t speak English, but in her mind (and in the mind of the Atlantis crew) it’s as if she really does. However, this wouldn’t translate to the written word. That said, there’s no reason that Teyla couldn’t have learned to read some English.

Comment

Originally posted by IggyMing View Post
          Joe Mallozzi said pretty much the same thing. From http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...best-in-show/::

AlainaRoss also writes: “…if Teyla can speak english, can she read and write it as well?”

Answer: Ah, the great English Alien Debate. This is a buy we inherited from the beginnings of SG-1. I’ve explained that, in my mind, every time someone steps through the gate they take on translator nanites that allow them to understand and be understood by the various off-world races they encounter. By this reasoning, Teyla doesn’t speak English, but in her mind (and in the mind of the Atlantis crew) it’s as if she really does. However, this wouldn’t translate to the written word. That said, there’s no reason that Teyla couldn’t have learned to read some English.
          OT stuff:
          Teyla must have been studying while on Atlantis since she's more or less left in charge of the base when Elizabeth, Shep and others head off to earth on a couple of occasions. She greets Elizabeth with one of those handy little computer pads on her return and hands it to her saying something about reviewing reports, and in Season 5 she knows how to operate a few computer systems and read stuff on the screens (she says Major Marks generously offered to teach her how to use some of the computer systems). So I'm certain she used some of her off duty time on Atlantis during the first year and following years to learn to read and write English. And she would have been required to write reports as a team member.

Comment

Originally posted by IggyMing View Post

I really just ignore the English stuff. It's a convenience; we all know that. I'm fine with it. I think SG1 does better than most sci fi actually in giving a nod to the language barrier. They do, after all, have a linguist on their team. And occasionally he'll even translate something.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
              I really just ignore the English stuff. It's a convenience; we all know that. I'm fine with it. I think SG1 does better than most sci fi actually in giving a nod to the language barrier. They do, after all, have a linguist on their team. And occasionally he'll even translate something.
              And really, how on earth would you even do a show when you have to figure out a new language EVERY time you met with a new race? It's a little ridiculous. That, for me, is one of those "gimmee" points about episodic television. I'm willing to give up the reality there.

The one that made me LOVE the show is that SG-1 had several episodes where people had to use the bathroom. I don't ever remember Picard having to pee.

Of course, I might be wrong.

But that little dose of realism makes me smile.

(See? Smile.)
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                And really, how on earth would you even do a show when you have to figure out a new language EVERY time you met with a new race? It's a little ridiculous. That, for me, is one of those "gimmee" points about episodic television. I'm willing to give up the reality there.

The one that made me LOVE the show is that SG-1 had several episodes where people had to use the bathroom. I don't ever remember Picard having to pee.

(See? Smile.)
                Funny you should mention that, I was watching Fail Safe yesterday
                sigpic
                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                  Hiya from Lake Louise. Thx for the good comment, Sharon. The series is called "After."
                  Thanks, I'll have to go read that!

Comment

(See? Smile.)
                    The episode Ascenion wasn't one of my favorites, but I loved the scene when Sam stops Jack in the hallway, right outside the bathroom, and he says something about having to pee. v.funny!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      Have you checked out the S/J Fic Rec Thread? There's lots of good stuff there.

Jack/Sam Fic Recs
                      LOL, yeah, that thread is over 1000 pages long. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

(See? Smile.)
                      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Hi, all! It's one of those times again when RL is overwhelming. That's what I get for taking a vacation...way too much to do now that I'm back at work. But I had a few minutes this evening, and just wanted to check in, say hi, and tell you that I love you!

Jack has been monitoring your conversation...

Sam...they're talking about...pee.

Jack...it's a normal bodily function.

Well, yeah...but you serve your country, meet aliens,
                        save the world a few hundred times and marry the hottest
                        astrophysicist in the galaxy! Why aren't they talking about that?

It'll pass, Jack...

Now you're doing it!!!

!!! !!!

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                          LOL, yeah, that thread is over 1000 pages long. I wouldn't even know where to begin!
                          You might try starting with the links on the bottoms of many sigs that you find right here. A good many of the people on this thread write high quality Jack/Sam fanfic.
                          sigpic
                          My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                            Hi, all! It's one of those times again when RL is overwhelming. That's what I get for taking a vacation...way too much to do now that I'm back at work. But I had a few minutes this evening, and just wanted to check in, say hi, and tell you that I love you!

Jack has been monitoring your conversation...

Sam...they're talking about...pee.

Jack...it's a normal bodily function.

Well, yeah...but you serve your country, meet aliens,
                            save the world a few hundred times and marry the hottest
                            astrophysicist in the galaxy! Why aren't they talking about that?

It'll pass, Jack...

Now you're doing it!!!

!!! !!!

Come now. You just KNOW that Jack's the kind of guy who
                            Spoiler:
                            Toots
                            in bed.

Now THERE's some realism for you!
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Come now. You just KNOW that Jack's the kind of guy who
                              Spoiler:
                              Toots
                              in bed.

Now THERE's some realism for you!
                              and i could just *so* see sam NOT liking this and calling him on it!
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                and i could just *so* see sam NOT liking this and calling him on it!
                                Who are we all kidding? It happens to the best of us. I can just see them as real people--I LIKE to see them as real people. I guess that's why I try to write them as "real" as possible--ordinary things happening to extraordinary people instead of the other way around.

But seriously. We've all talked about the confirmation scene--what could possibly confirm that they are in a stable, committed relationship more than one of them complaining about the others' tooting/scratching/eating/picking something? When you're in the honeymoon stage, you keep it all under wraps. . .after a few years, everything just kind of. . .comes out.

Just so you know--my Ship Day fic "Tooled"--let's just say that there was a little personal experience there. . .
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X