No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that's it exactly. In my experience, one tends to be either a John/Jonathon or a Jack almost as completely different names. My hubs was born and raised a Jack but hated the name and made a conscious effort to go back to his original when he joined the army. His family still refuse to go to "John" and so he's stuck with both, but there is no one who calls him both names - it's either one or the other depending on when they knew him. But if he hadn't despised the name 'Jack' he'd still be that exclusively and never have been called 'John' at all. My son, however, is 'John" or 'Johnny' depending on situation just like his grandfather.
    Oh, how sad. To be married to a Jack, and not to be able to use the name. . .

My husband is a Mike--his first name, of course, is Michael, but his family calls him Mikey, which is funny because he's a really really big guy. He only gets called Michael if he's "in trouble". (Like when he goes out when I haven't played my entire hand and still am holding my foot in our favorite card game.)

So, I can kind of see Sam lifting one eyebrow and glaring at Jack when he's done some bonehead thing and saying, "Jonathon?"

And Oobieboobieboo?

Spoiler:
    Sounds like they're playing some game combining "Peek a boo" with something **ahem** else.
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
      In Seth Sam says: It'll work, Sir, assuming Dad's right.
      Jack turns to Jacob and says: Dad?

That's the only time I know of that Jack called Jacob Dad to his face. I can think on a couple of times when he referred to Jacob as Dad when talking to Sam.
      Thanks!
      Do you (or someone else) happen know when Jack calls him Dad? (in front of Sam or whoever) I'm thinking about a Dad-Fanfiction, but I'm still not fit enough with Stargate to name these eps

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      I think Sam uses "Sir" as a way to specifically delineate between work and personal - much the same as I can see Jack doing the same with Sam/Carter. There's probably a few odd occasions when they are in a work setting when a personal "message" needs to come across (one example comes to mind from SGU) and vice versa.
      I agree with that. Best example is, I believe, Beneath the Surface. The "sir" refers to ranks ans therefore regulations and represents what stands between them. I don't think Jack would be eager to hear this from her in private.. only, as I said, in situations when she deliberately teases him. The "Carter" is a comlete different story and I see him calling her that from time to time, even with her being an O'Neill .

Haha,, nice pet names XD Darlin' could work for me, maybe hon, too. I have a personal dislike of "baby", but that's just me. IF they call each other pet names, I'd be something that doesn't make the other sound tooth-ache sweet or ridiculous cute, I guess.
      sigpic

Comment

Is there an accepted spelling for the zatarc? Ie, apostrophes or anything?
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
          Can I see them having pet names? Baby, hon, sweetheart? Hmm, sure, why not. Not many married couples don't have some kind of pet name for their spouse which, for the most part, are used completely unconciously. Jack called Sara "baby" so why would he not have something similar with Sam? I'm not suggesting she calls him "fluffyhunnykins" and he calls her "oobieboobieboo" or something that causes an equally distressing gag reflex but, yes, baby, hon, darlin'... they could work.
          me too.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

I agree with that. Best example is, I believe, Beneath the Surface. The "sir" refers to ranks ans therefore regulations and represents what stands between them. I don't think Jack would be eager to hear this from her in private.. only, as I said, in situations when she deliberately teases him. The "Carter" is a comlete different story and I see him calling her that from time to time, even with her being an O'Neill
            On the other hand, the "Sir" from her there reminded both of them that they were no longer able to cultivate the relationship that they had been building during their internment in the factory.

Later, when no such rules keep them apart, I think that he wouldn't find the "sir" from her a negative thing. I think that it might remind them, instead, of the anticipatory nature of their first eight years, and therefore be something of a private message to him.

And as for the "baby" and "hon" and "darling"--I can see the "hon"--but I can't imagine Sam allowing him to call her "baby". Sara was a different woman than is our Sam--and it might have worked for Sara, but I'm not so sure about Sam. And "darling"--well--that rates right up there with "dear" for me on the gag-o-meter. As in, instant hurl. For other people, sure--they like both of those pet names, so it's fine for them. In my world, Sam and Jack don't use them.
            sigpic
            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
              On the other hand, the "Sir" from her there reminded both of them that they were no longer able to cultivate the relationship that they had been building during their internment in the factory.

Later, when no such rules keep them apart, I think that he wouldn't find the "sir" from her a negative thing. I think that it might remind them, instead, of the anticipatory nature of their first eight years, and therefore be something of a private message to him.

And as for the "baby" and "hon" and "darling"--I can see the "hon"--but I can't imagine Sam allowing him to call her "baby". Sara was a different woman than is our Sam--and it might have worked for Sara, but I'm not so sure about Sam. And "darling"--well--that rates right up there with "dear" for me on the gag-o-meter. As in, instant hurl.
              i kind of like the idea of them finding it 'hot' to call each other such rule following names while they're totally free of them.

i remember hearing amanda call richard (and chris) babe while on the cell with them at two separate conventions... i think that's put it in my head of sam being okay with it.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

i remember hearing amanda call richard (and chris) babe while on the cell with them at two separate conventions... i think that's put it in my head of sam being okay with it.
                Maybe hearing it would change my opinion--who knows?

i kind of like the idea of them finding it 'hot' to call each other such rule following names while they're totally free of them.
                And yes. This. Absolutely. Yep. MM-Hmm. I agree.

sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                  Is there an accepted spelling for the zatarc? Ie, apostrophes or anything?
                  According to the Gateworld Stargate Omnipedia, it's za'tarc.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite View Post
                    Do you (or someone else) happen know when Jack calls him Dad? (in front of Sam or whoever) I'm thinking about a Dad-Fanfiction, but I'm still not fit enough with Stargate to name these eps
                    Jolinar's Memories is one. Right at the beginning when the gate is activated and the tech says it's the Tok'ra. Jack turns to Sam and says "maybe it's Dad".

Comment

Oh, how sad. To be married to a Jack, and not to be able to use the name. . .

My husband is a Mike--his first name, of course, is Michael, but his family calls him Mikey, which is funny because he's a really really big guy. He only gets called Michael if he's "in trouble". (Like when he goes out when I haven't played my entire hand and still am holding my foot in our favorite card game.)

So, I can kind of see Sam lifting one eyebrow and glaring at Jack when he's done some bonehead thing and saying, "Jonathon?"
                      Nah, I can't see Sam calling Jack Jonathan at all. Except maybe when she wants to tease him about something.

My husband's birth name is Jonathan as well. (obviously is a popular name) But his grandfather gave him the name Jake (even thought that's short for Jacob), but he thought that as a baby he looked like a Jake, so everybody in the family called him like that ever since. I met my husband as a Jake and I'm so used to it that I would never ever call him Jonathan - not even when I'm mad at him - it just feels too weird.
                      Only people from work call him by his real name. And he says it's kinda handy, because he knows from the way people call him, where he knows them from. (Friends or Work)

So I would also think that Jack would never use his real name, unless he would have some gain from it - like going undercover or something.

And as for the "baby" and "hon" and "darling"--I can see the "hon"--but I can't imagine Sam allowing him to call her "baby". Sara was a different woman than is our Sam--and it might have worked for Sara, but I'm not so sure about Sam. And "darling"--well--that rates right up there with "dear" for me on the gag-o-meter. As in, instant hurl. For other people, sure--they like both of those pet names, so it's fine for them. In my world, Sam and Jack don't use them.
                      Yep, agree with you on that one! darling or dear is a No-Go. It's what old lady's say - so maybe the Carter from Unending - nah not even then would she call him that.
                      Last edited by pointoforigin; 22 July 2010, 01:55 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I just can't imagine Jack saying anything else but Sam or Carter - unless fishing was involved. And can't imagine Sam saying anything else but Sir or Jack but with different tones - if you see what I mean...............

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                          According to the Gateworld Stargate Omnipedia, it's za'tarc.
                          Thank you! I keep forgetting that is around here somewhere.
                          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Jolinar's Memories is one. Right at the beginning when the gate is activated and the tech says it's the Tok'ra. Jack turns to Sam and says "maybe it's Dad".
                            I knew that there was a moment like that. Also, in Secrets he does it--although I know that he was just responding to her calling her father that when she's surprised to see him at the cocktail party thingy.

Wow--that was clear as mud, wasn't it?
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Hey, Shippers!

I'M BAA-AAACK!
                              Spoiler:
                              My 16 day European tour went very well. We made our way through England, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, and Germany. Our choir and band played in/around some of the greatest churches and cathedrals on the planet. I saw a professional production of Les Miserables in London (with Nick Jonas performing in it as Marius ) and all in all, had a great time experiencing life on the other side of the earth.

Though I have to say that after 16 days, it's good to be back in my beloved Minnesota. No place like home and all that.

Now to do a little catch-up around here!

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                              Did our Sally just post a fic at FF? Breathe
                              Well, it's about time! Great fanfic, I hope you write more, Sally!

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                              http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...tn-105SJrs.jpg

Sam and Jack...right after the comment about her
                              always being attracted to the "lunatic fringe."
                              LOL, I was watching this episode on the plane ride home yesterday and had to suppress a chuckle when this part came along. I remember we talked quite a bit about the obvious camera shot of Jack right after the line, but I never realized that just after Sam makes the comment, Daniel turns and looks at Jack as well, like he's coming to the same conclusion that we did.

Regarding the fanfic books, I agree that they're hit and miss. I still enjoy them because I feel that somethings better than nothing in times when SG-1 doesn't have any new episodes regularily coming out.

Also, does anyone know when "Sunrise" is scheduled to come out. I don't think it said on the Amazon page.

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                              Association of Angst-Ridden Penguins?
                              LOL, I'm there!

To Joe and Pol: You guys have my deepest condolenses, as well as my thoughts and prayers.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                              200 OT
                              Spoiler:
                              so two Questions about 200 1) why exactly was jack doing in Malibu? And 2) was any of that episode consider "Canon"?
                              The only thing that I consider possibly canon is that perhaps "Wormhole X-Treme" was making a movie, and perhaps Martin came to ask SG-1 of there opinions regarding the script. Beyond that . . . not really.

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                              And in case people don't read Joe's blog (and if not, why not?!?! )

Spoiler:

Juergen writes:

3. Does the SGC still exist or is the Stargate being moved to Homeworld Command?

4. If it has been moved….has this to do with Atlantis staying on Earth?

5. The moon base, which Sam speaks about in Continuum…Are we going to see it in the next movie? Has the Earth Gate beeing moved to the moon?”

Answers:

3. More on that in Stargate: Revolution.

4. Not necessarily.

5. Stay tuned.

I love that Joe is such an optimistic guy. His answer "More on that in Stargate: Revolution" makes me feel like he feels that it's definitely going to happen. And oh, I cannot wait until it does!
                              Last edited by SamJackShipper93; 22 July 2010, 04:20 PM.
                              sigpic
                              The Return of King Arthur
                              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                Okay a little ripple effect Sam/Jack question.
                                Spoiler:
                                Do you think the black uniformed Sam Carter was married to her jack considering that teal'c said Sam returned to Sg-1 following her honeymoon? Or do u think she married Pete And what a about the Sam from Janet's reality where She's on maternity leave? think that Sam got with jack or with pete?
                                Okay, reading through all of the responses, I got the impression that we were talking about two very different teams. Of all of the SG-1 teams that came to our universe, only two were talked about in detail: the "Black" SG-1 (Cam, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and "Desert-Camo" SG-1 (the one that had Martouf and Janet on SG-1). The Sam on the "Black" SG-1 team was the one who returned to the team following her honeymoon. The Sam on the "Desert-Camo" SG-1 (mentioned by JM) was the Sam on maternity leave and the one JM said was married to Jack.

Personally, I think that "Black" Sam had come back from her honeymoon with Pete, because we all know that the world would have ended if she had married that man.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                                I'm surprised TPTB said she was married to Jack. I assumed, since Dr. Frasier asked "Where's General O'Neill?" that he was still her CO.
                                I think you're right with that assumption. I just figure that Sam probably resigned from the Air Force after "Threads" in that reality.

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                                Spoiler:
                                Hello, all! I come bearing pretties for Ship Day...made with love (and lots of talent) by our own Regularamanda. It's the official invitation, sig and avatar for this year's celebration...coming up two weeks from now!

Please feel free to use the sig and avatar between now and our event, to help us promote the party. And be sure to let Amanda know what a great job she did on these.

And, without further ado...

The avatar:

The sig:

The invitation:
                                Many thanks to Amanda! They're so pretty!
                                sigpic
                                The Return of King Arthur
                                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                                acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Working...
                                X