Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    Having said that, There's a picture of Charlie on the wall in Jack's old Colorado house. It's Sara and Charlie and Jack in front of their old house. Sam refers to it when she visits him in "Lost City"--although he still doesn't want to talk about it.
    Yes, but there's a vast difference between the wall of one's house and the wall of one's office at the pentagon. IMHO, of course, given I get the impression by the way Sam was awkward there and referred to it she wasn't at his house very often and hadn't addressed the idea of Sara or Charlie with him which heightens the impression he - at that point - was still keeping himself and his house fairly private and being there, both in that place and confronted by that subject, was a new and fairly uncomfortable place for her.

As for his being too dark and cynical for a relationship ... in my experience (which I grant you is limited but is quite probably greater than most people's), there's nothing like being told you have value and having it proven by finding you really are important to someone else's happiness for blowing away some of those shadows and cobwebs. I think, no matter how damaged a psyche is, there's still that desire for relationship and intimacy (of whatever kind).

That said, I also tend to think a good bit of 'Jack's dark cynicism' as keeping him from having a relationship is fanon rather than canon. In fact, episodes such as Learning Curve, IMHO, tend to contradict the idea of Jack as dark cynic in which he is instrumental in teaching those children how to enjoy life. I think the outward 'dark cynicism' we do occasionally see is more cover and concealment for the fact he isn't truly dark and cynical but is, in fact, hurt and scared.
    Last edited by JenniferJF; 22 May 2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Yes, but there's a vast difference between the wall of one's house and the wall of one's office at the pentagon. IMHO, of course, given I get the impression by the way Sam was awkward there and referred to it she wasn't at his house very often and hadn't addressed the idea of Sara or Charlie with him which heightens the impression he - at that point - was still keeping himself and his house fairly private and being there, both in that place and confronted by that subject, was a new and fairly uncomfortable place for her.
      Of course, you're right about the differences between office and home. So then the question becomes this: What is the implication of Jack's having Sara's picture up in his house eight years after their divorce? Even though Charlie is in the picture, most guys wouldn't have a photo of their ex wife in the main living area of their house.

Spoiler:
      I think that it signifies that he is open to another relationship--having found something good before. Even though the marriage ended, i don't think it was horrifically awful between them. People who are able to love fully once are more likely to be able to do it again. So that picture bodes well for a future with Sam.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        Speaking of 'new Jack' and SGU: (random totally unrelated to anything plot-wise spoilers for the new episode of SGU):
        Spoiler:
        Anyone else think about how significant it potentially is that Jack has a picture of Charlie hanging in his office now? If you recall, back in season one of SG1, he had one hidden in his locker and information about Charlie had to be dragged out of him. I think this shows a significant change in his attitude about his relationship with Charlie and the great amount of healing he's gone through since then; his past with Charlie is no longer a part of him he's hiding and trying not to think about but something he's embracing and has out in the open on display.

EDIT: And... *giggle* how much I can write on such a little bit of screen time. Can you imagine a new jack-centric movie? This is, btw, why I almost never go to bed before 2am on Friday nights for half the year.
        Related to SGU spoiler:
        Spoiler:
        If you recall, Jack had a framed picture of himself, Sara and Charlie on his bedside table in the episode with clone-Jack. And then again in "Lost City", that same picture had been moved onto a wall in his living room. And I think the picture of Jack and Charlie that's now in his Pentagon office, was on a credenza in his office at the SGC when he became a general. It seems to me that over the years he's become a bit more accepting of the tragedy and enjoys having a picture of Charlie where he can see it.

Comment

Originally posted by absolutdc2001 View Post
          Spoiler:

I figured he was there because Jack trusts him. Jack and Young's first conversation indicated that Young took risk even telling Jack his suspicions about Telford. They have no idea if he is actually the spy or if there are others so they would not go to random trained special forces guy for this job. Frankly when I saw Daniel, my first thought was of course Jack would go Daniel for this. Daniel has been more than just an archaeologist for years
          SGU OT
          Spoiler:
          Why not Teal'c, Cam or Vala? Especially Vala would have been ideal as she knew the Lucian Alliance.

Comment

Spoiler:
            If you recall, Jack had a framed picture of himself, Sara and Charlie on his bedside table in the episode with clone-Jack. And then again in "Lost City", that same picture had been moved onto a wall in his living room. And I think the picture of Jack and Charlie that's now in his Pentagon office, was on a credenza in his office at the SGC when he became a general. It seems to me that over the years he's become a bit more accepting of the tragedy and enjoys having a picture of Charlie where he can see it.
            Spoilered for OT?

Spoiler:

Speaking as a parent who has lost a child--although not admittedly as Jack lost his--eventually, it does get better. You still mourn and feel grief--and there are some days that it just hits you the wrong way. But in time, that pain becomes a pang rather than torturous, and you are able to pass through those moments better. It never goes away, but you get to the point where it's not first and foremost in your mind all the time, and you are able to feel poignance rather than agony. I don't know how to explain it better.

It would be worse for him if he weren't ever able to get to that point. That would indicate more powerful psychological and spiritual (not religious--just inner or personal) problems than could possibly be good for him--problems that might not be fixable.
            sigpic
            My Stories: FFdotNet
            My Stories AO3
            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

OT SOCCER:
              Spoiler:
              WE WONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
              WE WON EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGG THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigpic
              My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                OT SOCCER:
                Spoiler:
                WE WONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
                WE WON EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGG THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT Soccer:
                Spoiler:
                Congrats!!!

Are you going to watch the World cup??
                sigpic
                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post
                  OT Soccer:
                  Spoiler:
                  Congrats!!!

Are you going to watch the World cup??
                  of course...I'm Italian!
                  sigpic
                  My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                    of course...I'm Italian!
                    Yay! I hope I can watch it. There is not a lot of coverage here
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

OT: I went to a baseball game this past Thursday and I was just thInking do u think Jack and Sam go to baseball games when ever they have a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                        Speaking of 'new Jack' and SGU: (random totally unrelated to anything plot-wise spoilers for the new episode of SGU):
                        Spoiler:
                        Anyone else think about how significant it potentially is that Jack has a picture of Charlie hanging in his office now? If you recall, back in season one of SG1, he had one hidden in his locker and information about Charlie had to be dragged out of him. I think this shows a significant change in his attitude about his relationship with Charlie and the great amount of healing he's gone through since then; his past with Charlie is no longer a part of him he's hiding and trying not to think about but something he's embracing and has out in the open on display.

Something that also came out in a discussion I was having elsewhere which I'd noticed but forgot to mention here is Jack's rather pensive "I know why I'm special" said simply with just a trace of light-heartedness and not as a cynical joke. I can't imagine the old self-effacing and often self-deriding Jack ever making that statement in that way and I really do think it's reflective of his new-found balance and self-respect.

Both these things, IMHO, point to a Jack far more aware of and comfortable his one worth and no longer hiding who he is behind a cynical facade. And, yes, because I do believe he got together with Sam after Threads and has been in a mostly stable relationship since then, I attribute his change-in-attitude in large part to that relationship, just as I attribute many of Sam's changes to it. Not that a relationship can change everything or solve all your problems, but a stable foundation at the end of the day really can make overall balance and happiness everywhere else easier to achieve.

At least.

IMHO.

EDIT: And... *giggle* how much I can write on such a little bit of screen time. Can you imagine a new jack-centric movie? This is, btw, why I almost never go to bed before 2am on Friday nights for half the year.
                        As usual, Jenn, you summed up my thoughts/feelings/impressions as well. So...ditto.

<g>
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

A lovely little fic (post-Threads):

Remembering the Days of Gladness When Sorrow is At Hand by Dreamweaver 85

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            A lovely little fic (post-Threads):

Remembering the Days of Gladness When Sorrow is At Hand by Dreamweaver 85
                            I agree. Enjoyed that one. And I totally love Dreamweaver's The Naming Game. Makes me smile everytime I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post
                              Us shippers are in synch
                              We're the ShipperBorg....having a collective consciousness.....

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                                We're the ShipperBorg....having a collective consciousness.....
                                Resistance is futile!

Comment

Working...
                                X