No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmmm waffles... :: drool :: Oh wait we're talking about them being metaphorical aren't we? Drats. LOL

SGU in relation to S/J
    Spoiler:
    I've been contemplating all four of these characters (S/J in relation to Young and TJ which I don't ship, I' m just intrigued by it... unfortunately I have two minutes before I have to walk out the door so I may post my thoughts later

Comment

On the bolded, yes, I do agree with that. In particular that whole conference room scene because it leaves you with absoluetly no doubt whatsoever that Jacob knows exactly how Jack feels about his daughter, and how she feels about him. I see that moment as Jacob testing her resolve to marry this other guy (the one Jacob obviously does not like, as observed in the earlier scene also cut in the short version). He knows mentioning the wedding will be hurtful to Jack but what he's really doing here is seeing whether Sam is hurt that she's hurting Jack - which she is. I think he's trying to, in a subtle way, force the issue for them. Later, when he's dying and doesn't have much time, he's far more direct about that (although still necessarily ambigious enough for the non/anti shipper portion of the audience to la la la their way through the deep and murky waters of denial. )
      This is probably the best way I've heard to explain this--You rock!

And, yes to everything else. Including the waffles, which now I am craving, thank you very much.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        Still. Snippage is not cool - it's like shrinkage... and I'm going to stop now before I dive into the deep end of the gutter.
        I am still laughing at this.

I have a problem watching the trimmed version of Threads. I miss the scenes that they "snipped". I never watched it when it originally aired, so my first experience with Threads was the trimmed version in syndication. When I finally watched the extended version, it was like opening presents on Christmas Day (at least the Sam/Jack parts). All I could think about was, this is the episode that they are finally putting themselves first and are going to get together. Hook, line and sinker.
        sigpic
        I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Hook, line and sinker.
          I took the bait. Ah! Fishing.

And
          sigpic
          My Stories AO3

Comment

That's the trouble with reruns. Now they have more ads then a few years ago so they cut the shows. I prefer watching them on DVD in their totalness.....you don't have to miss anything.
            sigpic

Comment

ON the conference room scene....not sure who said it above in the flurry of posts, but I think it's significant for it's "Jacob-ness."

Jacob now recognizes the wedding for what it is: a substitution for Sam. It's giving Sam the "life" she thinks she wants with a man she doesn't really want.

He likes and respects Jack. Fanon aside, you never see a time when Jacob and Jack don't get along.

Jacob at this point knows he's dying and is resolved to toss the cat amongst the pigeons, as it were. He knows his daughter well. She won't budge when she's made a decision because she doesn't want to appear to have made a bad choice, especially to Jacob. So...knowing that, he, as any good Dad would, decides to force the issue.

And he chooses to do so in front of Jack, knowing full well how Jack feels about his daughter. Even if he (Jacob) didn't, I'm certain Selmak knew. So he stirs things up with the "reminder" that Sam had to go choose flowers.

I'm also certain that with Selmak's help, Jacob heard every word Sam did and did *not* say to on the phone. She hem's and haw's over the expected "I love you," and Jacob knows that.

I'm certain, too, that Jack (as someone else pointed out) who was listening intently and, more importantly, reading Sam's body language, also knew at this point that Sam was stressed and tense, though he probably doesn't know the full extent of it.

Seriously, now I'm sounding like Jenn. Threads is really a fantastic episode (if you edit out the boring Daniel bits). Huh. It's funny in the ironic way when you realize I first typed "Treads" and not "Threads."
              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                Even if he (Jacob) didn't, I'm certain Selmak knew. So he stirs things up with the "reminder" that Sam had to go choose flowers.
                I think that if Selmak knew, Jacob knew. That's the way the symbiot thing went down, at least that is how I have interpreted it. I think Jacob realized "the thing" between Sam and Jack during the conference room scene, though he might have had sensed certain kind of connection between the two before that.

Comment

I'm also certain that with Selmak's help, Jacob heard every word Sam did and did *not* say to on the phone. She hem's and haw's over the expected "I love you," and Jacob knows that.
                  I personally find that to be the most telling portion of the thing--and her turning of her cheek to Pete when he first comes off the elevator instead of giving him "real" kiss. I think that not only is she embarrassed at being seen as a "chick" on base--smooching in front of the other soldiers might have been awkward, but she is kind of embarrassed by the relationship. Had she been certain of herself she would have had no hesitancy in saying/doing those motions that would have cemented others' views of her relationship.

Also, there has to have been talk on the base about O'Neill and Sam--had she been certain of her relationship with Pete, then doing the kissing and "I love you" would have quelled that talk--but she's not capable of that sort of deception, in my opinion, and couldn't bring herself to do it. It felt too raw for her. Wrong. . .

She was searching for approbation from her father and Selmak--she finally had to bring herself to ask what Jacob thought about him. That might have been when the cards began tumbling down for her. She knows that HE knows that she's fooling herself.

Those two scenes are so crucial for her future happiness. That she can't bring herself to "play along" had to have been disturbing for her.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

A part of her turning her head aside, imo, is the fact that there are no PDA's while in uniform. I couldn't even hold hubby's hand as we walked from the bus stop where he got off base for the evening to home. He was stationed in Korea at the time. That's why the bus.
                    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I adore the half of the conversation we get, because it's one of those instances in which Stargate doesn't patronize it's viewership. They never condescend to 'tell' us what the other half of the conversation was or what it meant, but leave it to us to figure it out.

*hugs Stargate*

I'm certain, too, that Jack (as someone else pointed out) who was listening intently and, more importantly, reading Sam's body language, also knew at this point that Sam was stressed and tense, though he probably doesn't know the full extent of it.
                      If you watch Jack, you can *see* him listening intently. His eyes keep darting to Sam and he's fidgeting restlessly as Teal'c and Bra'tac talk.

Which, interestingly, is often my reaction

Seriously, now I'm sounding like Jenn. Threads is really a fantastic episode
                      Why yes. Yes it is. Can one ever sing it's praises enough?

Again, seriously, what I think I like the best about Threads is that, really, nothing happens in the episode from an action/adventure point of view.

I mean, nothing. No battles, no explosions. Nothing.

A few happen off screen or are referred to, but the main action is almost all taking and simply *acting*. It could have been done onstage.

Hmmm...

Threads...

The Live Version.

Uhm.

Never mind.

/wanders off to work pondering that one...

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                        A part of her turning her head aside, imo, is the fact that there are no PDA's while in uniform. I couldn't even hold hubby's hand as we walked from the bus stop where he got off base for the evening to home. He was stationed in Korea at the time. That's why the bus.
                        Which is, IMHO, an example of how little Pete understands Sam and her life, or at least, how little she's let him in to it. Because he should have known he shouldn't have done that. And yet...

Not so much.

Comment

Oh, those pesky regs. Okay, you have a point. But I still WANT it to be because she's uncertain and unsure!
                          sigpic
                          My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                            Oh, those pesky regs. Okay, you have a point. But I still WANT it to be because she's uncertain and unsure!
                            It's likely both.

Comment

It's likely both.
                              Thanks for throwing me the bone! I appreciate it!
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                                <snip>

I've seen the short version only once. I didn't like the cuts they made to any of it because the nuances of the situation do kind of get lost in the process. I almost wish they'd made it longer actually; a two parter so we have a long four story end of season arc including Reckoning before. Honestly; if the'd never made a single SG-1 epsiode after Threads I would have felt the series ended perfectly.
                                I really wish it would have been a two parter, maybe because of my love of longer stories I agree that Threads would have been a great ending for SG-1 *nods*

Originally posted by llp View Post
                                That's the trouble with reruns. Now they have more ads then a few years ago so they cut the shows. I prefer watching them on DVD in their totalness.....you don't have to miss anything.
                                I do not enjoy the editing so I choose to watch on dvd too

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                                I adore the half of the conversation we get, because it's one of those instances in which Stargate doesn't patronize it's viewership. They never condescend to 'tell' us what the other half of the conversation was or what it meant, but leave it to us to figure it out.

*hugs Stargate*

If you watch Jack, you can *see* him listening intently. His eyes keep darting to Sam and he's fidgeting restlessly as Teal'c and Bra'tac talk.

Which, interestingly, is often my reaction

Why yes. Yes it is. Can one ever sing it's praises enough?

Again, seriously, what I think I like the best about Threads is that, really, nothing happens in the episode from an action/adventure point of view.

I mean, nothing. No battles, no explosions. Nothing.

A few happen off screen or are referred to, but the main action is almost all taking and simply *acting*. It could have been done onstage.

Hmmm...

Threads...

The Live Version.

Uhm.

Never mind.

/wanders off to work pondering that one...
                                Actually, I could see Threads: The Live Version happening *goes off pondering*
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Working...
                                X