No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PdL directed Threads??? I guess I hadn't remembered that.

He does such beautiful work--I almost think that he's embarrassed to be such a sucker for "thoughtful" when he's part of such a "funny" family. Maybe that's why he continually brings up the potty humor on the commentaries.

I don't know--I still want one--I kept hoping that someone would say what the writers/producers were thinking with some things--and not just about Sam/Jack.

There's a weird Teal'c/Bra'tac arc that makes me scratch my head, and the whole Oma/Anubis fighting forever doesn't make sense to me. You'd think that one of them could eventually either win or pull out.

But yeah--I still want one.

And oh yeah--
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

I just watch the extended version of Threads today, I did not know there was one

I must say I enjoyed it quite a lot but that is no surprise since I love extended versions

I also would enjoy a commentary for Threads, simply because I love to get some insight to the actors, directors, writers, etc. views about the episode
      sigpic
      Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Quick in and out and keep in mind that I haven't read all the other posts since my last.

I have been in uniform so I really feel that moment in the observation was the equivalent of tearing each other's clothes off and/or stating public vows.

Anyone who's known Sam or Jack over the years has got to know how they feel about each other and have the greatest respect for the fact that they've never so much as HINTED at an inappropriate thought and/or conduct.

And, as Jenn has said, that shot with Jacob offset to the right and Jack and Sam to the left (Jacob's reflection is not between them but next to them) is so incredibly significant.

Off to bed now.
        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
          Quick in and out and keep in mind that I haven't read all the other posts since my last.

I have been in uniform so I really feel that moment in the observation was the equivalent of tearing each other's clothes off and/or stating public vows.
          LOL Pol - that gives me such a great mental image Reciting vows in public while naked... wouldn't that be a Betazoid wedding in Star Trek? Wait. Wouldn't that make a hilarious fic showing up on a planet full of naked people?

:: thinks of her toddler who loves to run through the house without clothes and declare himself "Naked Boy" ::

Sorry to break up the great discussion. Just had to interject that thought.

I'd never thought about the commentary as a negative thing. I generally get bored to tears when it's a technical commentary but what I would have liked to hear is the writing, the thoughts, etc that went into it. But that's me. A good commentary is well, like commentary on a good book. It can teach you something you missed - which is a huge reason why I hang out here. I enjoy television the way I enjoy literature - I look for depth of character, strong plot lines, well put together scenes.

It would have done it a disservice if the commentary had become silly. While I generally enjoy the sense of humor that the actors have, I feel like this episode is incredibly weighty. That said, I do like anecdotal stories about what happened in the filming of a particular scene.

But then, it's my personality. I read the endings of novels first a lot of times. I couldn't imagine not finding out that I was having a boy before he was born. I read spoilers online. I read the ingredients on everything (and still eat it, I just like to be informed).

I just like to know everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
            PdL directed Threads??? I guess I hadn't remembered that.
            That's because that would be incorrect. Andy Mikita did. Though PdL did direct my revised first and last scenes (from Reckoning and Moebius). The effect's not isolated to him, you see, but it's strongest with him (I suspect it's related to growing up with two brothers). Which you say here:

He does such beautiful work--I almost think that he's embarrassed to be such a sucker for "thoughtful" when he's part of such a "funny" family. Maybe that's why he continually brings up the potty humor on the commentaries.
            Yup. And PdL is about the absolute best director at portraying 'guy angst'

*ahem*

/fangurl moment

I don't know--I still want one--I kept hoping that someone would say what the writers/producers were thinking with some things--and not just about Sam/Jack.

There's a weird Teal'c/Bra'tac arc that makes me scratch my head, and the whole Oma/Anubis fighting forever doesn't make sense to me. You'd think that one of them could eventually either win or pull out.
            Which is what I meant about showing vs. telling. I think Threads was such a strong 'showing' episode that to go and 'tell' anything would diminish it. What T/B stuff are you talking about? And I think the point is Oma won't let Anubis go and so, being evenly matched, it will go on forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

Anyone who's known Sam or Jack over the years has got to know how they feel about each other and have the greatest respect for the fact that they've never so much as HINTED at an inappropriate thought and/or conduct.

And, as Jenn has said, that shot with Jacob offset to the right and Jack and Sam to the left (Jacob's reflection is not between them but next to them) is so incredibly significant.

Off to bed now.
              This being, IMHO, one of the absolute best shots ever at showing the power of an image to communicate meaning:

*happy sigh*

Off to work now.

Comment

That's because that would be incorrect. Andy Mikita did. Though PdL did direct my revised first and last scenes (from Reckoning and Moebius). The effect's not isolated to him, you see, but it's strongest with him (I suspect it's related to growing up with two brothers). Which you say here:
                Well, there we are then. I have a cold, and am hyped up on Medicine, so please forgive me!

Which is what I meant about showing vs. telling. I think Threads was such a strong 'showing' episode that to go and 'tell' anything would diminish it. What T/B stuff are you talking about? And I think the point is Oma won't let Anubis go and so, being evenly matched, it will go on forever.
                I know about the telling, sometimes I'm just wanting to be told something--unlike Eliza Doolittle.

Bra'tac and Teal'c--in one scene, Bra'tac is all kinds of positive about their chances, and Teal'c is pessimistic, and in the next scene, it's the other way around. It just seems like the writers couldn't make up their minds which one was going to be the voice of doom, and which one the positive one.

And that look that Bra'tac gives Daniel after he descends and shows up in Jack's office--still priceless.

And still, and forever:

Sam and Jack Always and Forever Question:

Spoiler:
                I keep getting weird reviews there--some LONG tripe about watches--I've tried to contact the administrators, but the message gets bounced back to me. Does any one know what's up there?
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

*runs in*

Says that Threads rocks! ...and I could have done without the Daniel scenes...IMHO they were a bit boring...I even found the Teal'c scenes, which I normally dislike, more interesting!

Two wps...

sigpic

Comment

*sneaks in*

*waves*

HIii!

I remember before that ppl were wondering what happened with the puff and ruffle clip that was on yt (it was deleted) and I have found it again.

OnT

Spoiler:
                    sooooooooooooooooooooooo married
                    sigpic
                    Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Oh man, Threads wasn't even on my "To Do" list today, but now I have to go back and watch it again--at least the good parts.

Comment

I remember before that ppl were wondering what happened with the puff and ruffle clip that was on yt (it was deleted) and I have found it again.
                        Thanks for posting this link--I needed that as I recuperate from my cold!
                        sigpic
                        My Stories AO3

Comment

Some news on the Stargate Atlantis Legacy series, talking about Sam, who will be a major character

she is at a very happy place in her life in the Legacy books. No, her life isn't perfect, but the tumults and miseries of earlier years are over, and she's in a very good place. Jack and Cassie and Daniel and Teal'c are her family. She's stable and satisfied in her relationships, standing at the center of a supportive circle of people who love her. And whose love she returns.

You can find the full entry about Sam on Jo Graham's livejournal here: http://jo-graham.livejournal.com/52356.html
                          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Okay, so I'm staying with family and am sick right now (soooo glad I bought my laptop with me) and so can't check my SG1 dvd collection. Are all the dvd versions of Thread's the longer version? I have the complete series boxset with The Ark of Truth.

I didn't even know there were different versions! Though as others have said I could probably do with sourcing the version without the whole 'Daniel eating waffles in ascention land' thing ....

(And if I find out there are different versions depending on dvd region, I'm going to cry)

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
                              Okay, so I'm staying with family and am sick right now (soooo glad I bought my laptop with me) and so can't check my SG1 dvd collection. Are all the dvd versions of Thread's the longer version? I have the complete series boxset with The Ark of Truth.

I didn't even know there were different versions! Though as others have said I could probably do with sourcing the version without the whole 'Daniel eating waffles in ascention land' thing ....

(And if I find out there are different versions depending on dvd region, I'm going to cry)
                              There's only two official versions. The original 90 minute aired version (which is about 60 minutes minus the advert breaks) and the 60 minute aired version (about 42 minutes minus advert breaks). I believe both were released on various DVDs at various times but, if your DVD lists it as a 60 minute run time, then you have the full version.

If that doesn't clarify it, it does at least set it firmly crooked.
                              sigpic

Comment

DM, I can't tell you how much I love you right now! I'm so glad those vids are back up. Amanda's so funny!
                                sigpic
                                The Return of King Arthur
                                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                                acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Working...
                                X