No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a question why have they never shown the 90 minute episode of threads i mean they shown it once and then showed the 43 minute one? i mean there is still over 20 minutes of good story they just cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      here's a question why have they never shown the 90 minute episode of threads i mean they shown it once and then showed the 43 minute one? i mean there is still over 20 minutes of good story they just cut out.
      I've never seen a 90-minute one. I've got a 60-minute one on my DVD. I think the 90-minutes included advertisement breaks on the television?
      sigpic
      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
        I've never seen a 90-minute one. I've got a 60-minute one on my DVD. I think the 90-minutes included advertisement breaks on the television?
        You've got the long version. Never fear.
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
          You've got the long version. Never fear.
          Good. *phew* Though, could you imagine more?

I'm glad I've got the long version. Makes the DVD worth the cost, oh yes.

In case you can't tell, it's one of my favourite episodes. I have no idea why
          sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

No idea whatsoever why you'd like that ep!
            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

ah man jacob just died and jack just lost his future father in law and sam lost her daddy. i swear when i saw this episode for the first time it ranked up there on the top ten. the story was so good and i wished they would've made this the series finale if season eight was the last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                No idea whatsoever why you'd like that ep!
                It's a true mystery
                sigpic
                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                  If you watch the one you've got on DVD and compare it to the one that gets shown on TV, you'll be able to see the scenes that were cut out. I suppose they cut out stuff to make it fit into the usual one hour time slot. But it's cool that they at least gave us the whole 90 minutes on the DVD's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    Then there's the 32:54 version, the one I call - with apologies to William Goldman - the "good parts version." It's got all the boring Daniel/cafe stuff edited out. And most of the Teal'c stuff is out too, except where it moves the Sam/Jack story forward (foreshadowing, etc...)

That's the one I watch most often. Daniel is perennially in my doghouse and honestly, that whole "talk talk talk" stuff is just (Urgo insertion) boooooooooooooooooRING!

The good parts version really highlights the changes in character. Samantha Carter goes to her commanding officer's house to essentially tell him she's having second thoughts about her wedding because of how she feels about him.

Holy bad conduct, batman! Never done! NEVER! But...she sucked it up and was going to do it. Going to say 'those words that should not be said' (kind of like Voldemort) and...whammo! Plot twist! Dad's dying! (note that's not spelled "dieing").

And Jack is (finally) cut loose from Kerry. She (Kerry) does what he couldn't bring himself to do, freeing them both (Jack and later Sam) to do what should be done. Profess love.

How?

An in-public, ON BASE, arm around the shoulder, in view of her DYING DAD, cuddle and promise (and important: acceptance of forever.

Awesome.

Okay, I'm done. And I think I need to cut back on the caffeine!
                    Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Then there's the 32:54 version, the one I call - with apologies to William Goldman - the "good parts version." It's got all the boring Daniel/cafe stuff edited out. And most of the Teal'c stuff is out too, except where it moves the Sam/Jack story forward (foreshadowing, etc...)

That's the one I watch most often. Daniel is perennially in my doghouse and honestly, that whole "talk talk talk" stuff is just (Urgo insertion) boooooooooooooooooRING!

The good parts version really highlights the changes in character. Samantha Carter goes to her commanding officer's house to essentially tell him she's having second thoughts about her wedding because of how she feels about him.

Holy bad conduct, batman! Never done! NEVER! But...she sucked it up and was going to do it. Going to say 'those words that should not be said' (kind of like Voldemort) and...whammo! Plot twist! Dad's dying! (note that's not spelled "dieing").

And Jack is (finally) cut loose from Kerry. She (Kerry) does what he couldn't bring himself to do, freeing them both (Jack and later Sam) to do what should be done. Profess love.

How?

An in-public, ON BASE, arm around the shoulder, in view of her DYING DAD, cuddle and promise (and important: acceptance of forever.

Awesome.

Okay, I'm done. And I think I need to cut back on the caffeine!
                      If that's what we get with caffeine, then I'll send you a keg of Red Bull. Okay?
                      sigpic
                      My Stories: FFdotNet
                      My Stories AO3
                      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

How?

I think, unless you've been in uniform and really understand... It's hard to really feel it because it's done so often on TV. Sam is taking a HUGE chance in approaching Jack like that given I really don't think she knows how he feels. Hence her frequent apologizing and concern she's 'bothering' him. And then, as you say, when he puts his arm around her - not in private and in uniform - is a huge breech of protocol. None of this is anything which is in anyway can be considered an expression of simple camaraderie or friendship between two military officers of their ranks.

Comment

I think, unless you've been in uniform and really understand... It's hard to really feel it because it's done so often on TV. Sam is taking a HUGE chance in approaching Jack like that given I really don't think she knows how he feels. Hence her frequent apologizing and concern she's 'bothering' him. And then, as you say, when he puts his arm around her - not in private and in uniform - is a huge breech of protocol. None of this is anything which is in anyway can be considered an expression of simple camaraderie or friendship between two military officers of their ranks.
                          Never having been in uniform (unless marching band counts??? ) I can say that I didn't realize it until hearing it from you people who have been. . .

And her taking of his hand as he puts his arm around her--and holding it to her face as she does. It's almost as if she wants to press her lips to it, but just barely remembers not to. Every time I watch it I want to yell at her to KISS is already! And then I remember--oh yeah--dad. Whoops.
                          sigpic
                          My Stories: FFdotNet
                          My Stories AO3
                          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                            Never having been in uniform (unless marching band counts??? ) I can say that I didn't realize it until hearing it from you people who have been. . .

And her taking of his hand as he puts his arm around her--and holding it to her face as she does. It's almost as if she wants to press her lips to it, but just barely remembers not to. Every time I watch it I want to yell at her to KISS is already! And then I remember--oh yeah--dad. Whoops.
                            At that particular moment, I don't think Dad was an issue (I don't think he was even looking at them). And it would have been a nice added touch, since they'd both already gone that far. Dad would have been happy to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post

Ah. See. I adore the gesture she does make. It's so incredibly intimate the way she caresses it to her cheek, almost unconsciously. A kiss, IMHO, would be a bit OOC and indicate more conscious awareness. The fact it seems so natural and instinctive - imho of course - makes it that much more perfect and intimate.

EDIT: I also find it impossible to believe that for Sam (or Jack) Jacob could possibly have ceased to be an issue. Her father was dying in front of her and, as much as I think she loves Jack and he loves her, I can't believe at that moment Jacob wasn't the most important thing on both their minds. It was why she was so unconscious in her caress of Jack's hand - she wasn't consciously really thinking about Jack or her relationship with him at that moment I don't think, but taking what he was offering simply because she needed it. I do think very shortly afterwards she would have replayed it in her mind and realized what it all meant, and I think the way she responds to Jack unconsciously shows more than anything conscious ever could that they really are, at that point, a *couple*. The moment which, for me, nails the new relationship between them is when she is called to Jacob's bedside and, separating from Jack a bit, looks to him and it's only after his slight nod she leaves him for Jacob. That moment speaks volumes to me... and I don't think either of them is aware of the significance. It's just what seems right and natural at that moment.
                              Last edited by JenniferJF; 03 May 2010, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Ah Threads. I watched that today too on SyFy. Though I would have liked it better if I had seen the extended version.

The part where Jacob is dying is so emotional. He says his last words "I love you" and Sam kisses him goodbye, Jack closes his eyes and those feelings he has held inside for so long are coming out and that yes, he loves her too.

Aw man, now I need a tissue.
                                sigpic
                                I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Working...
                                X