Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6963/lciiend031.jpg

does anyone have a better copy of this picture?
    Not exactly the same frame but there are these two at the Gateworld gallery

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...g1_722_846.JPG
    http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...g1_722_847.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
      Not exactly the same frame but there are these two at the Gateworld gallery

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...g1_722_846.JPG
      http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...g1_722_847.JPG
      thank you!

i like these two more than the other one, mainly b/c of pic quality.

thanks, uhsir.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        thank you!

i like these two more than the other one, mainly b/c of pic quality.

thanks, uhsir.
        You're welcome. If you do want that specific look from your other pic and nobody else has it, I can get it off my dvd.

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
          LOL. You had me Jen. And yeah, I think (cosmically speaking) some things were 'meant to be' and Tyler/Charlie's death (or...had he been married to Sam, "Andrew" -- oh the mind boggles, had he married Sam, he'd have married her at what, age 19? (Sam, I mean)) was an event that had to happen.

You know...in fic it's a catalyzing event. What makes the hero the 'hero' in the story. What puts said hero (I am using the term generically, including women in this too) on their journey? It is while on the journey that we meet them. It is the backstory that put them on the journey that makes them interesting, and it is (for the shippers) the intriguing person whom they meet while on that journey that we (and the hero) fall for. When the hero reaches the end of his/her quest (with the help of aforementioned intriguing person) the story reaches its satisfactory conclusion.

Which means, we have had our:
          hero - check
          tragic backstory - check
          hero's quest - check
          end of quest (Goa'uld defeated)? - check
          satisfying conclusion? ch--- oh wait. not so much.
          Which was, as you said, exactly my point. Jack - in order to be the Jack we know and love - *had* to have been married before and lost his son through a violent tragedy he could blame himself for which also caused him to lose the wife that he loved or he wouldn't *be* 'Jack.' It's those events which made him who he is.

Comment

Which was, as you said, exactly my point. Jack - in order to be the Jack we know and love - *had* to have been married before and lost his son through a violent tragedy he could blame himself for which also caused him to lose the wife that he loved or he wouldn't *be* 'Jack.' It's those events which made him who he is.
            We are all amalgamations of what we've experienced. And I'm not sure that he would have appealed to Sam without that depth of character. And Vice Versa.
            sigpic
            My Stories: FFdotNet
            My Stories AO3
            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
              We are all amalgamations of what we've experienced. And I'm not sure that he would have appealed to Sam without that depth of character. And Vice Versa.
              I completely agree. I often tell people that if I had met my husband in college or before he and I would have never gotten together. Him and I are very different people but our past experiences and dare I say, relationships, made us look at each other and say "You're who I want to spend the rest of my life with."

Jack having been married to Sara. Sam engaged to Jonas and later Pete. Losing a son, losing a father... brings us to the moment when they both finally put aside their fears and are able to say "You're who I want to spend the rest of my life with."

Comment

As one of those who didn't simply see RDA and AT and think, "I'd like to see them together," I can honestly say I'm not sure that Jack would have appealed to *me* and I might not have been as interested in him as I am.

Which brings us to my essential issue with AUs in general as they relate to 'our' Sam and Jack.

Comment

I completely agree. I often tell people that if I had met my husband in college or before he and I would have never gotten together. Him and I are very different people but our past experiences and dare I say, relationships, made us look at each other and say "You're who I want to spend the rest of my life with."

Jack having been married to Sara. Sam engaged to Jonas and later Pete. Losing a son, losing a father... brings us to the moment when they both finally put aside their fears and are able to say "You're who I want to spend the rest of my life with."
                  And without the depth of understanding that they have achieved about themselves, they couldn't have understood each other.

I know that one of the reasons that I married my husband is because I liked who I was when I was with him. And I'd had experiences enough to know that other people did not bring out the best in me. So, when Jack found acceptance in her--a person so idealistic and inherently good--I think that it allowed him to be able to see the good within himself.

The great thing about these two characters is the complexity of them. There is so much more to say about, because the nature of their relationship and the amount of acceptance that both have had to find for the other is profound. But in the end, they understand each other because of their experiences, and are able to relate to each other. I think that if either had had easier lives to begin with, it wouldn't have been the same.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories: FFdotNet
                  My Stories AO3
                  Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

And without the depth of understanding that they have achieved about themselves, they couldn't have understood each other.

I know that one of the reasons that I married my husband is because I liked who I was when I was with him. And I'd had experiences enough to know that other people did not bring out the best in me. So, when Jack found acceptance in her--a person so idealistic and inherently good--I think that it allowed him to be able to see the good within himself.

The great thing about these two characters is the complexity of them. There is so much more to say about, because the nature of their relationship and the amount of acceptance that both have had to find for the other is profound. But in the end, they understand each other because of their experiences, and are able to relate to each other. I think that if either had had easier lives to begin with, it wouldn't have been the same.
                    What she said ^^

Definitely.

It wouldn't let me green you, so you can have some virtual green.
                    sigpic
                    Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post

:::happy sigh::: (the bolded bit).
                      Spoiler:

Can I interject from my almost fanatical grammarian perspective? THANK YOU for putting in the apostrophe. It's gotten so bad that when I'm reading online I actually squint when that word comes up, so often posters are writing "your who..." And I want to say, "Your 'who,' what? OHH, you meant to say 'you are.' How ever could I have mistaken that?"

Take a moment to get it right here, in the most non-judgmental place you'll find, and you will have success elsewhere in life...at least with regard to writing. So...again...thank you for getting it correct.

Um...

Yeah. That's all I've got. <g>
                      Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

:::happy sigh::: (the bolded bit).
                        Spoiler:

Can I interject from my almost fanatical grammarian perspective? THANK YOU for putting in the apostrophe. It's gotten so bad that when I'm reading online I actually squint when that word comes up, so often posters are writing "your who..." And I want to say, "Your 'who,' what? OHH, you meant to say 'you are.' How ever could I have mistaken that?"

Take a moment to get it right here, in the most non-judgmental place you'll find, and you will have success elsewhere in life...at least with regard to writing. So...again...thank you for getting it correct.

Um...

Yeah. That's all I've got. <g>
                        Grammar OT:
                        Spoiler:
                        I generally try to keep it straight although sometimes my brain isn't on the level. While I generally don't have time to "grammar check" myself I usually try to be well-written LOL.

S/J. So married.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                          Grammar OT:
                          Spoiler:
                          I generally try to keep it straight although sometimes my brain isn't on the level. While I generally don't have time to "grammar check" myself I usually try to be well-written LOL.

S/J. So married.
                          OT:
                          Spoiler:
                          In other words, she tries to write good.

Good what?

Good English.

That's my pet peeve. I actually had one of my kids teachers tell me my child was doing good in school and I was *so* tempted to ask what charity she was working for... But I'm snarky that way.

I'm actually terrible at the you're/your. I know the difference, obviously, but it's one of the few transpositions I tend to make when I write. If most people are like me, though, it's not grammatical incorrectness as much as it's simply a typo in which the brain knows the difference but when the fingers are told to type 'you're' they hear 'your' instead. At least that's how it is for me, but I do touch type and so don't actually spell out the words letter by letter after they're sent to my fingers. (their for they're is also a common one - again, I think it's cause the fingers can't hear the difference).

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                            OT:
                            Spoiler:
                            In other words, she tries to write good.

Good what?

Good English.

That's my pet peeve. I actually had one of my kids teachers tell me my child was doing good in school and I was *so* tempted to ask what charity she was working for... But I'm snarky that way.

I'm actually terrible at the you're/your. I know the difference, obviously, but it's one of the few transpositions I tend to make when I write. If most people are like me, though, it's not grammatical incorrectness as much as it's simply a typo in which the brain knows the difference but when the fingers are told to type 'you're' they hear 'your' instead. At least that's how it is for me, but I do touch type and so don't actually spell out the words letter by letter after they're sent to my fingers. (their for they're is also a common one - again, I think it's cause the fingers can't hear the difference).
                            Grammar OT
                            Spoiler:
                            I'm not much of a grammarian - I'm more of a linguist which means that I see language as fluid and always changing. The only languages that don't change are dead and yet they continue to live in some way (ie Vulgar Latin is now the Romance languages because Classical Latin was used for writing but Vulgar (or common) Latin was what was spoken. What is considered "correct" in grammar is generally what the most influential speak. While there are general rules in English you can find grammar books don't always agree with each other.

This is the lecture people who correct me on grammar in real life are given (read: my now deceased grandmother who I wasn't close to) Sorry that's *my* pet peeve. Which I suppose is odd for someone who tries to write well. Or good. Depending on where you fall on the English speaking spectrum.

Sam & Jack: Still Married.

Comment

eek!

*Pol quickly jumps on the lid to that can of worms she inadvertently opened!*

Uh...

Yup. Still
                              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

eek!

*Pol quickly jumps on the lid to that can of worms she inadvertently opened!*

Uh...

Yup. Still
                                Don't worry, we'll just take the worms and go fishing. Or rather, I'll send them to Sam and Jack and let THEM go fishing. The only fishing I like is the metaphorical kind.

Comment

Working...
                                X