No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those of you on here who have been in the Air Force or other military services --what were your reasons for entering the service, that is, if you don't mind telling. Do those reasons influence your thoughts on why Sam became military? I myself (not military, though almost) don't see Sam entering the AFA just because of Jacob, although military careers do run in families. I also don't see her following her mother as a non-professional woman (assuming here that's the role her mother took, that she actually had a profession as an officer's wife. I've read too much about the services pushing officers to be married and the wives being the husbands' adjuncts in a way to further their spouses' careers) . Not sure how many of your have been in the service , since I'm mainly a part-time lurker anymore. But my curiosity got the better of me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
      Or, some of us ignore the stuff we have to do in order to read the great fanfic that's out there. Some of us like me that is.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      ah oh, sam's mom going after jack...

sam: mom, stop it!

mom: whaaaaat?

sam: you've got your own guy, this one's mine!

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post
        Indeed
        Spoiler:

So you wouldn't happen to have a clip of that would you

**bats eyelashes**

I never was an X files gal.
        Spoiler:
        I have the episode but it's in Italian. I can give you the clip with the bed scene...they don't talk very much!!!!
        Or if you want all the scenes with AT I can ask to my friend who have the English version
        sigpic
        My vids Sig made by me

Comment

I'm too lazy to quote so I do it like this:

Vids: I love them and also have an Itouch where they go on. I also have them on my laptop, but in a small sense of privacy I prefer watching them on my Itouch. (I travel with public transport to school; every time 1,5 hours to/from it)

fanfic: I love reading them and when someone finally asked me to explain it(mom) I just said it were free books which are sometimes better than the ones she is reading Overall I don't feel the need to explain and when they ask on uni(if a class is really boring I read FF) about it I say it's research
          Sites to read FF on; I think the best place to start is FF.net, you can find awesome fanfics there...I would also go to the Sam/Jack fic rec thread to find some really good fanfic; I think it has most of the best fanfic out there recommended in there!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
            thanks ill check them out including yours since you tried so hard to not self promote. i also just found a short one about sam/jack on the fan fiction section here on GW it was called angler by someone called artaxastra and i was suprised it was very good. i have decided to check them out because i miss SG1 and need a fix.
            I'm shameless - I self-pimp regularly. Links to my stories are below my sig!!!

Comment

I'm shameless - I self-pimp regularly. Links to my stories are below my sig!!!
              Yes, well, when you're as good as YOU are, it's allowed. . .
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                But I still don't think she'd have met Jack without the service. So if you think about it, it's a double edged sword. She finds the guy because she's in the military. She can't have the guy because she's in the military. Oh, the ANGST!
                I might agree with the bolded bit if the civilian Sams in the other realities weren't engaged or married to Jack.

Comment

I might agree with the bolded bit if the civilian Sams in the other realities weren't engaged or married to Jack.
                  You sooo got me there! I concede!
                  sigpic
                  My Stories: FFdotNet
                  My Stories AO3
                  Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

And I agree with this about why Sam joined the Air Force. But I still don't think she'd have met Jack without the service. So if you think about it, it's a double edged sword. She finds the guy because she's in the military. She can't have the guy because she's in the military. Oh, the ANGST!
                    I read this fic Worlds Apart where Sam and Jack go to an AU where Sam's mum is alive...the things are very different. This made me think about the effect of her death in Sam's choices
                    sigpic
                    My vids Sig made by me

Comment

You sooo got me there! I concede!

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                      I read this fic Worlds Apart where Sam and Jack go to an AU where Sam's mum is alive...the things are very different. This made me think about the effect of her death in Sam's choices
                      There's a really good fic that's called (if I remember correctly) in which Sam is a civilian, and works on the Stargate program, and her mother is still alive, and Jacob didn't get cancer and so never met the Tok'ra. I think it's called "String Theory", but I'll have to go look through it to make sure I've got the right story.

Comment

thanks for all the links and websites for fan fic im currently reading one thats 12 chapters long and its great i have already read 3 chapters of it and im hooked
                        sigpic
                        The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Which was my point exactly. In the two of the three situations we see when Sam wasn't in the military - and the one in which the Stargate was also present - Sam ended up married to Jack. *But* that indicates they did meet as part of the Stargate program. If she hadn't been in the Stargate program BUT in the military, as in the case of Continuum (although Charlie was also alive then), I suspect they wouldn't have met and they wouldn't have ended up together.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post

There's a really good fic that's called (if I remember correctly) in which Sam is a civilian, and works on the Stargate program, and her mother is still alive, and Jacob didn't get cancer and so never met the Tok'ra. I think it's called "String Theory", but I'll have to go look through it to make sure I've got the right story.
                            I love that fic! Even thought its AU, they still appear to be very much in character. Annerb has written some great stuff!

Comment

[QUOTE=XFchemist;11376587]Disclaimer: it's all Jann's fault who stalked me on FB and MSN!!!!!!!!! And now she owes me a new signature!

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwH79AZK27c/QUOTE]

Wow - that was fantastic

Comment

My husband and I have been married for nearly 15 years. . .

AND. . . I first started writing fanfic a few years ago, but was only brave enough to post something last October. And now I'm totally addicted and write a lot.

When I first became aware that somebody had promoted a story of mine here on GW, he said, and I quote, "Don't these people have anything better to do?"

Sigh. I guess you can't convert them all!
                                OT but about the above:
                                Spoiler:
                                I wrote fanfic (X-Files, Lois and Clark) long before S and I met. She is quite aware of my involvement as she supported me during my research for my master's thesis...on fanfic and the culture of fanfic. Our M is quite involved with it too and has even written her own. Fanfic is often discussed in our house as I am continuing my own scholarly research on it with some nifty, notable other academics (I'm *sooo* out of my depth with them!). S won't, however, read it. She doesn't read fiction in general.

Originally posted by _SocraticMethod View Post
                                Hmmm, that's a really interesting question! Counterfactuals ...
                                {respectfully snipped}

Oh, now you're just teasing me! LOL. Gotta love someone who just casually drops 'counterfactuals' in a sentence! Yes!

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                i think sam's mom would have definitely approved of jack! (he's similar to jacob in ways... )
                                I agree. How can any mother not approve of someone who loves her daughter as he does? And she would see that Sam loves Jack just as much in return. Hmmm...plot bunny...for Grace? Hmmm...

*Pol wanders off, scratching head...*
                                Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Working...
                                X