No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was actually going to comment that the BHK in WoO, IMHO, really does prove within the normally acceptable limits that Sam and Jack *both* have feelings for each other beyond what they should. He initiates, she responds... Even if she doesn't remember it. What else is necessary to at least *prove* the emotions are reciprocated by both of them?
    Nothing, really, except that then she gets"engagged" to Pete and Jack starts up a little something with Kerry. Years later, which is an eternity in TV years. . .
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      Nothing, really, except that then she gets"engagged" to Pete and Jack starts up a little something with Kerry. Years later, which is an eternity in TV years. . .
      Most folks who don't see the ship, though, don't see it all along. I *really* think that those who don't see or believe in the ship after WoO aren't going to see it now if we get another BHK. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        Delightful and wonderful new story:

The Little Legume of Hope
        I really like the "Glinda" fics.

Comment

Most folks who don't see the ship, though, don't see it all along. I *really* think that those who don't see or believe in the ship after WoO aren't going to see it now if we get another BHK. That's all.
          I think you're right.

One of the phrases on the anti thread that I was reading (a phrase that was repeated over and over and over) was "heavy handed". The anti shippers felt that the whole story line was too heavy handed to be believable. I actually snorted when I read this, because of all the ships out there, this one was very (except for in a rare arc over 8 years) in the background. And I'm a huge Bones fan, but their ship is truly heavy handed--it's obvious. That there is such a divide between anti and pro shippers with Jack/Sam proves that the writers/producers/directors DID NOT do it with a heavy hand.

And no matter how much confirmation is given, I believe that the anti shippers will still choose not to believe.

I really like the "Glinda" fics.
          Why, thanks! She's so much fun to write! Though, I'm kind of shocked at her loyal little following. . .
          sigpic
          My Stories AO3

Comment

She'd probably only use Dr. O'Neill in a sort of professional spectrum--although who knows? I just know that my mom (Doctorate in English) never refers to herself as Dr. _____ except when she's in a professional setting. (And neither did any of the professors in the college town where I grew up--the ones who insisted on the "Doctor" designation were considered stuck up by the others.) But who knows?

And I'm not military, so I really don't know what the rules are. So, my two cents here are as worthwhile as the proverbial teats on a bull. . .
            Real life examples: Most of my friends who married after finishing grad school kept their names for work/professional purposes (established in their fields, publications, professional licenses). They're only Mrs.____ in some social situations and things like how their kids' friends/teachers address them. If they're Drs. they're addressed as Dr. [maiden name] in situations where they use that last name but Mrs.____, not Dr., when using their married names. None of my friends hyphenated their names or their kids, who all have their fathers' last names.
            DDC

Comment

Real life examples: Most of my friends who married after finishing grad school kept their names for work/professional purposes (established in their fields, publications, professional licenses). They're only Mrs.____ in some social situations and things like how their kids' friends/teachers address them. If they're Drs. they're addressed as Dr. [maiden name] in situations where they use that last name but Mrs.____, not Dr., when using their married names. None of my friends hyphenated their names or their kids, who all have their fathers' last names.
              I have to say once, though, that my mother once went to a dermatology appt. where the doctor kept her waiting for two hours to see him (and she lived around an hour and a half away from him, so leaving wasn't really an option at that point). When she finally was let into an exam room, he brushed off the wait saying, "Doctors are always busy, Mrs. ____, but I had to get my lunch--hope you don't mind." To which she replied, "I know--I'm a doctor, too." And she did insist that he call her by her title (and then she probably, knowing my mom, gave him a quite verbose piece of her mind). So I guess she did use it occasionally in real life. . .
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

One of the phrases on the anti thread that I was reading (a phrase that was repeated over and over and over) was "heavy handed". The anti shippers felt that the whole story line was too heavy handed to be believable. I actually snorted when I read this, because of all the ships out there, this one was very (except for in a rare arc over 8 years) in the background. And I'm a huge Bones fan, but their ship is truly heavy handed--it's obvious. That there is such a divide between anti and pro shippers with Jack/Sam proves that the writers/producers/directors DID NOT do it with a heavy hand.
                The thing I adore about Sam/Jack - and the only reason I finallly 'accepted' it after Threads (because frankly, I was more an anti than otherwise before then) was because it wasn't heavy-handed and was always natural and in character, unlike nearly every other TV ship. Bones is, IMHO, a perfect example of 'typical' TV ship in that the characters are twisted to fit the ship. If you watch the early episodes, everything - but especially the characters - were far more subtle and, in 'playing with' the ship(s) more, the characters have almost been turned into caricatures of themselves and often made to do things to advance the 'ship' which, IMHO, real people and, in fact, the people they were originally shown to be, would never have done. I ignored S/J for years and hoped they'd never really go overt and make it a Big Theme on the show because I was terrified in doing so they'd do exactly what most TV shows do and hurt the characters and the show in the process. Stargate never did that and, if the result is ambiguity, I'd rather have that than the alternative.

Because - tbh - I used to be a big Bones fan and now my coworker and I snark our way through the new episodes. Which is fun, don't get me wrong, but not quite the same as it was before

I will say, though, that because S/J ship has always been subtle, I can see how when it's suddenly brought to the surface it might seem heavy handed and a bit random to those who haven't noticed the more subtle moments. This coming from someone who successfully managed to miss most of them for years

Comment

Because - tbh - I used to be a big Bones fan and now my coworker and I snark our way through the new episodes. Which is fun, don't get me wrong, but not quite the same as it was before
                  I still enjoy it--but then I'm easy that way.

But I still love the honesty with which AT and RDA played Sam and Jack--it's so believable. And NOT heavy handed. You wonder if the nay sayers have ever watched a truly "in your face" ship. Booth/Bones is (even though it's one of my guilty pleasures) completely forced. Jack/Sam is all the more profound for not having been firmly either resolved or confirmed.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

But I still love the honesty with which AT and RDA played Sam and Jack--it's so believable. And NOT heavy handed. You wonder if the nay sayers have ever watched a truly "in your face" ship. Booth/Bones is (even though it's one of my guilty pleasures) completely forced. Jack/Sam is all the more profound for not having been firmly either resolved or confirmed.
                    Which is one of the things I adore about this show (and Sanctuary, too). The actors are allowed to *act*, and the writers seem to intentionally write so as to allow large parts of the content to be told outside what's overtly in the script. It may ask a bit more from the audience than typical television, but at the end of the day, I think it creates a far better end product.

Walk with me.. this isn't fully off-topic: A week or so ago my daughter and I went to see the ballet Cinderella. At one point, after the ball when Cinderella had returned home, she was dancing to sad music with her glass slipper with a dreamy look on her face and then, mid way through, fell to the floor sobbing. My daughter asked me, "What's happening?" I explained to her that Cinderella missed the prince and was remembering the dance and was crying because of that. She asked, "How can you tell?" and I explained to her how we were meant to tell from the choreography, score, and acting. I suddenly realized that, while we expect to have to use such things to interpret what we see in other art forms, for some reason we've come to expect being spoon-fed information on Television - being told instead of shown. Being shown obviously leaves room for differing interpretations but, really, as I said, I think it makes for far better *art*.

Comment

Walk with me.. this isn't fully off-topic: A week or so ago my daughter and I went to see the ballet Cinderella. At one point, after the ball when Cinderella had returned home, she was dancing to sad music with her glass slipper with a dreamy look on her face and then, mid way through, fell to the floor sobbing. My daughter asked me, "What's happening?" I explained to her that Cinderella missed the prince and was remembering the dance and was crying because of that. She asked, "How can you tell?" and I explained to her how we were meant to tell from the choreography, score, and acting. I suddenly realized that, while we expect to have to use such things to interpret what we see in other art forms, for some reason we've come to expect being spoon-fed information on Television - being told instead of shown. Being shown obviously leaves room for differing interpretations but, really, as I said, I think it makes for far better *art*.
                      Absolutely. What Peter DeLuise calls "The Book Version" where you have to add in your own details sometimes. It's finesse, essentially. And I love it when the actors choose not to say the lines, but rather act them--like the scene in "Upgrades" in front of the force field (and "Divide and Conquer" of course--and yes, I know that they added more in D&C than in Upgrades). There were lines, there, but AT and RDA chose to not say them. Much more powerful, IMO.
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

**Singing**

Shippers in the night
                        Exchanging fanfic
                        manipping in the night
                        a shippy kiss pic
                        Hoping in the night
                        For that Big Honking Kiss!!!

Please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to know that song!!!!
                        Er nope luckily you can't hear me singing!

Comment

Absolutely. What Peter DeLuise calls "The Book Version" where you have to add in your own details sometimes. It's finesse, essentially. And I love it when the actors choose not to say the lines, but rather act them--like the scene in "Upgrades" in front of the force field (and "Divide and Conquer" of course--and yes, I know that they added more in D&C than in Upgrades). There were lines, there, but AT and RDA chose to not say them. Much more powerful, IMO.
                          I'm glad they didn't say the dialogue but I'd love to know what that dialogue WAS
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I'm glad they didn't say the dialogue but I'd love to know what that dialogue WAS
                            When I was in a lit class in college, we had one girl (innocent as the day was long) who wanted to get every answer right. We were discussing some poetry by D. H. Lawrence, and one line was something like, "They lay quietly, whispering words that lovers speak". The professor asked, completely rhetorically, what kinds of words these might be, and this girl raised her hand violently and shouted out, "OH BABY! OH BABY! OH BABY!"

So there's my answer. That's what they are saying at the force field. "Oh, Baby!"

(And I am completely kidding. I'd love to know what the scripted lines were there, too. Except I'm not kidding about the "Oh Baby!" story--that really happened and it still makes me laugh *mumble* years later!)
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                              that would be cheating .

Hubs and I have this big 'argument' over he original movie Dune because he loves it and I say it's 'cheating'. If you have to do a voiceover telling you what the characters are thinking you're doing *something* wrong somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                                that would be cheating .

Hubs and I have this big 'argument' over he original movie Dune because he loves it and I say it's 'cheating'. If you have to do a voiceover telling you what the characters are thinking you're doing *something* wrong somewhere.

Oh, I agree that the actors in this scene conveyed so much more emotion than any bit of dialogue could. It doesn't mean that I don't want to know what was originally scripted that GAVE them the direction/idea to play their emotional angst the way they did
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X