X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
    Episode of the Week

Spirits
    Ha, love the scene where Jack's in the infirmary and before they leave talks to Sam and how this would be her first command.
    <3

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
      Ha, love the scene where Jack's in the infirmary and before they leave talks to Sam and how this would be her first command.
      <3
      I was just getting ready to type the same thing. The only shippy moment in my opinion.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by houghtam View Post
        I was just getting ready to type the same thing. The only shippy moment in my opinion.
        Though the shippiest moment, I would disagree that it is the only one. I love that Sam so easily fits into Jack's role when she's out in the field. It's clear that Jack has had a major impact on her because she even starts to sound like him: she's firm and direct when she's leading, but she's also pretty sarcastic at times, especially because she doesn't believe in the Salish spirits. When talking to T'akaya the wolf: "My what big eyes you have!" and the line where she says something like "Think we can look around while Xe-ls is making up his mind?"

Of course, Sam sounds like Jack because those lines were originally written for Jack to speak (RDA was written out of most of the episode so he could spend time with new baby Wylie). With some of the lines, it's so easy to just imagine that the script originally said "Jack" instead of "Sam," and I'm guessing that many of those lines remained the same even after the characters changed.

So it's definitely not overtly shippy, but I love that this is Sam's first command. She's eventually going to go on to command SG-1, Atlantis, and The Hammond (and the SGC after that if you believe the extra-canonical stuff). Jack impacted her leadership style from the very beginning, and it shows just how closely Sam's been watching him all of those years.
        sigpic
        The Return of King Arthur
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Though the shippiest moment, I would disagree that it is the only one. I love that Sam so easily fits into Jack's role when she's out in the field. It's clear that Jack has had a major impact on her because she even starts to sound like him: she's firm and direct when she's leading, but she's also pretty sarcastic at times, especially because she doesn't believe in the Salish spirits. When talking to T'akaya the wolf: "My what big eyes you have!" and the line where she says something like "Think we can look around while Xe-ls is making up his mind?"

Of course, Sam sounds like Jack because those lines were originally written for Jack to speak (RDA was written out of most of the episode so he could spend time with new baby Wylie). With some of the lines, it's so easy to just imagine that the script originally said "Jack" instead of "Sam," and I'm guessing that many of those lines remained the same even after the characters changed.

So it's definitely not overtly shippy, but I love that this is Sam's first command. She's eventually going to go on to command SG-1, Atlantis, and The Hammond (and the SGC after that if you believe the extra-canonical stuff). Jack impacted her leadership style from the very beginning, and it shows just how closely Sam's been watching him all of those years.
          That's how I've always felt about it, too.

I didn't know about RDA not being as involved because his daughter had been born. That's kinda sweet. <3
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
            That's how I've always felt about it, too.

I didn't know about RDA not being as involved because his daughter had been born. That's kinda sweet. <3
            the only thing i didn't like about the ep was that the focus of sam being in charge was taken away from her when jack (rda) was able to return to 'lead' (in every way). sam's my fave character, and even though rda/jack was put back in the ep, she should have continued being important to the ep as the commander of the mission and the relationship(s) with the natives and aliens. kind of ticked me off...
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              the only thing i didn't like about the ep was that the focus of sam being in charge was taken away from her when jack (rda) was able to return to 'lead' (in every way). sam's my fave character, and even though rda/jack was put back in the ep, she should have continued being important to the ep as the commander of the mission and the relationship(s) with the natives and aliens. kind of ticked me off...
              I can understand that. But military-wise, she would have deferred to her superiors. You're right that she should have been given more to do at the end of the episode, though. She did forge a relationship with the natives and they obviously liked her, so they would have continued with that.

Having said that, the military higher-ups would still have taken back lead just because of the chain of command thing. Realistically, the episode is probably correct. (Maybe Jack just should have stayed "recovering" so that Sam could have continued in command for the entire incident? That would have given her character more of an opportunity for growth.)
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Excellent new story from Rachel500:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1170221...-the-End-of-Me

This is one of three separate, but great stories that has a separate episode in SG1, SGA and SGU. I loved all three of them and highly recommend these stories.
                Last edited by hedwig; 15 April 2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Wow, I'm reading through that page, and it's amazing how many things I've already seen that are wrong, or never known. Of course, it's a Wiki page lol

Comment

Originally posted by brendini View Post
                    Wow, I'm reading through that page, and it's amazing how many things I've already seen that are wrong, or never known. Of course, it's a Wiki page lol
                    What did you not know?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      What did you not know?
                      Sam's a brigadier general now, according to Stargate: Resistance, an online third-person shooter game, and she has been for quite some time.

What I hate, though, is that this information is on the Stargate wiki page as some kind of authoritative source (or at least something that's "nearly canon" if not canon itself), but it's actually incorrect, if I remember right.

This page says that Sam was promoted to brigadier general roughly two years after the defeat of the Ori, but Sam wasn't promoted to a full-bird colonel until her appointment to lead Atlantis after that happened. She led Atlantis for one year, then went to the Hammond for a year and then was promoted again. I can't remember the exact number (and google failed me), but I'm fairly certain that a colonel needs to remain at that rank for quite a bit longer than two years before being eligible for a promotion to brigadier general. So I definitely don't hold the information from this game as strictly canon (neither are the Fandemonium novels canon, even though they are listed on this page).
                      sigpic
                      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Sam's a brigadier general now, according to Stargate: Resistance, an online third-person shooter game, and she has been for quite some time.

What I hate, though, is that this information is on the Stargate wiki page as some kind of authoritative source (or at least something that's "nearly canon" if not canon itself), but it's actually incorrect, if I remember right.

This page says that Sam was promoted to brigadier general roughly two years after the defeat of the Ori, but Sam wasn't promoted to a full-bird colonel until her appointment to lead Atlantis after that happened. She led Atlantis for one year, then went to the Hammond for a year and then was promoted again. I can't remember the exact number (and google failed me), but I'm fairly certain that a colonel needs to remain at that rank for quite a bit longer than two years before being eligible for a promotion to brigadier general. So I definitely don't hold the information from this game as strictly canon (neither are the Fandemonium novels canon, even though they are listed on this page).
                        I don't find a lot of stuff on wiki pages or in games to be canon. The only canon to me is what was in the series/episodes up until the end of SGU. And at that time, Sam was in command of The Hammond. She's also been written to be in command of the SGC after being promoted to Brigadier General, but that's not canon. She's frequently promoted in fanfiction stories, but again, those are not even close to canon.

Comment

While time in grade rules apply to all ranks exceptions are sometimes made.

In the show Jack was only a 1 star general for a year before getting his second star when he took over Homeworld from Hammond.

In the real world Arleigh Burke was Rear Admiral (2 star) for only a year and half before being promoted 2 ranks to become the top admiral in the Navy.
                          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

There's no required time in grade or service to be promoted to O-7 or higher, as far as I'm aware. I have a list of all the other ranks but the (average) time for O-7 and up is blank, just a note that less than 1 percent is promoted to brigadier general. And the following note:

To be promoted to O-7, an officer must first complete a full tour in a Joint-Duty-Assignment (this is an assignment to a unit that is comprised of members from two or more of the services). This requirement can be waived, in some instances (10 USC, Sec 619a).

Sam would definitely have that under her belt by that time after the SGC, Area 51, Atlantis and the Hammond.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                              While time in grade rules apply to all ranks exceptions are sometimes made.

In the show Jack was only a 1 star general for a year before getting his second star when he took over Homeworld from Hammond.

In the real world Arleigh Burke was Rear Admiral (2 star) for only a year and half before being promoted 2 ranks to become the top admiral in the Navy.
                              Originally posted by fems View Post
                              There's no required time in grade or service to be promoted to O-7 or higher, as far as I'm aware. I have a list of all the other ranks but the (average) time for O-7 and up is blank, just a note that less than 1 percent is promoted to brigadier general. And the following note:

To be promoted to O-7, an officer must first complete a full tour in a Joint-Duty-Assignment (this is an assignment to a unit that is comprised of members from two or more of the services). This requirement can be waived, in some instances (10 USC, Sec 619a).

Sam would definitely have that under her belt by that time after the SGC, Area 51, Atlantis and the Hammond.
                              Ooh! Thanks for the new information, both of you!
                              sigpic

Comment

My first geek moment (in 2 parts):

I was wearing the long-sleeved t-shirt my family got me for Christmas on 2 separate occasions the last 2 weeks, and had a random stranger say "Oh! There's no place like...what does that say?"
                                ...and I proceeded to enthusiastically explain what it was, before their eyes glazed over and my response turned to an embarrassed mumble.

What can I say...I'm a geek (and proud of it). LOL
                                tumblr_lr5ogilXgz1qjlyhuo1_500.jpg
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X