No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm now reading 'the inlaws' - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2730559/1/The-InLaws
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SOtogether View Post
      ^ It's listed on sam&jackawards and it redirects you to the person's LJ site... am not sure if it's posted elsewhere.
      Thanks. It's also on AO3. I looked up the title and author on that site, and realized I've read it before - twice. The second time I read it was just recently, and when I got towards the last chapter, it started to seem familiar, and then towards the end I realized I had read it a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
        as jack would say - "niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice (to the Uhsir's vid)

Been catching up on the thread and all this kidfic talk made me think of an EPIC kidfic...

Inside the dragon's Egg

"What if the Ancient knowledge could be passed down genetically like the Goa'uld?" Takes plays post "Lost City" and is an AU but boy is it ever epic.

I'm of the camp that sees them with and without kids, depending on the circumstances. I find that this particular one has an intruiging premise and just gets better from there. and I found both Sam and Jack to in character, given the circumstances.
        I read this and almost didn't finish it because of so much angst and worry. It left me wondering what kind of childhood Ally will have and what she will grow up to be. Would have liked another Epilogue with those additions. The story left a few too many unanswered questions.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
          Annerb is the Queen of post-Threads fic!
          So... so... true ! Her DC series is just perfect. So well written, totally in character, has plenty of great moments...
          The only flaw it has is that it was never played out on TV, really. But I totally adopted it as headcanon. Really, great author !

Little things I will add about S/J and kids. I actually can't stand most fics where they have multiple children. I just can't see that. At all. "Twins" are the worst offenders. I generally just "nope" out of the fic when it happens. I also always prefer when it's a girl. Always feels better to me. Even in the show, I prefer the bonds Jack had with young girls... like Cassie and Merrin (I almost wish he had adopted her, it was so sad). But with the young boys ? It made me uncomfortable (the worst was probably Retoo *?* Charlie... way to make a guy gratuitously suffer, writers). Skaara was great though (and the writers had to eventually kill him off, only a few years after he got de-snaked... and just before he could get married on top of that... -_-).

And there are only a couple of names I enjoy. It used to be Grace (because of the little girl in Grace... though now I vastly prefer the interpretation that she's Sam's inner grace/innocence... despite the fact that she doesn't look like Sam as a child and more like the love child between her and Jack)... but I adore Ellie's name now. Doesn't help that I enjoy
          Spoiler:
          The Last of Us (recent acclaimed/famous cinematic and post apocalyptic *think The Walking Dead* video game)... and it has a gruff male character in his 50's named Joel protecting a 14 years old girl named Ellie. And yes, the gruff male character tragically lost a kid before (a daughter named Sarah... awkward), cue Sarah/Ellie parallels.

"Jade" is okay because of the novel Relativity and the fic Out of Mind, inspired by it. And that's it. I'm so selective, it's ridiculous.

Talking about fics... I came across two french fics (my native language, and I mostly watched the show with it) lately. But I sadly couldn't stand how S/J were written in it. I wonder if it's mainly the interactions/characterizations that were off (probably played a part) or if I can't stand SG fics in my native language anymore (I wonder because it's rare for the french fandom to write fics these days so I can't compare them to possibly better ones... ugh... I'm so glad I can read english, really).

Which makes me think about the show itself. Jack, Daniel and Teal'c french VA were kinda memorable to me. The first time I watched an episode in english, I felt like the characters had changed. Though it did wonders to Sam... AT's voice is fantastic and it made me like Sam more than in french (her french VA was a bit so-so, gotta admit... I remember how much people complained about her performance in the scene where Sam gets tortured by Fifth... back when season 8 aired).

And also, in one of the fics... the author took some original lines from the show. It kind of made me cringe a bit because it made me remember that there are a few S/J lines that were very badly translated in the show. And it took me out of the fic.
          Basically, in french :

- at the end of Beneath the Surface, Sam says "Jack" and Jack rectify with "Colonel". Whyyyyy ? Why the role reversal ? The original english version is much more interesting (and canon, thank goodness) and I don't understand why they decided to translate it so wrong.
          - after 100 Days, when Jack is undercover, he basically tells ("insults" would be a better term) Sam she's a boot licker. Wep... I prefer the "I haven't been like myself since I met you" line. By a long... long shot. At least it can be taken as a strange compliment.
          - In Grace, Jack's "Excuse me" becomes "What the hell is wrong with you ?" (something close to that) ... making it worse than the more ambiguous "Excuse me".

Which leads me to ask. To the shippers who watched the show in a different language, do you have a few bits of "translation fail" to share ? Good or bad.
          My Tumblr.
          My Tumblr Art Blog.
          My Deviantart page.

Comment

Originally posted by RadicalDreamer View Post

Talking about fics... I came across two french fics (my native language, and I mostly watched the show with it) lately. But I sadly couldn't stand how S/J were written in it. I wonder if it's mainly the interactions/characterizations that were off

And also, in one of the fics... the author took some original lines from the show. It kind of made me cringe a bit because it made me remember that there are a few S/J lines that were very badly translated in the show. And it took me out of the fic.
            Basically, in french :

- at the end of Beneath the Surface, Sam says "Jack" and Jack rectify with "Colonel". Whyyyyy ? Why the role reversal ? The original english version is much more interesting (and canon, thank goodness) and I don't understand why they decided to translate it so wrong.
            - after 100 Days, when Jack is undercover, he basically tells ("insults" would be a better term) Sam she's a boot licker. Wep... I prefer the "I haven't been like myself since I met you" line. By a long... long shot. At least it can be taken as a strange compliment.
            - In Grace, Jack's "Excuse me" becomes "What the hell is wrong with you ?" (something close to that) ... making it worse than the more ambiguous "Excuse me".

Which leads me to ask. To the shippers who watched the show in a different language, do you have a few bits of "translation fail" to share ? Good or bad.
            That completely changes the whole meaning! French Jack is an ass!
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Completely agree. the DC series is pretty much my personal post-threads timeline. with a few minute alterations

There are people here who haven't read the fic yet!

Spoiler:

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              I read this and almost didn't finish it because of so much angst and worry. It left me wondering what kind of childhood Ally will have and what she will grow up to be. Would have liked another Epilogue with those additions. The story left a few too many unanswered questions.
              true. maybe they went to the asgard to help fix them. That could be a whole spin-off!

Comment

Any examples? I'm not sure if I'm familiar with this person's work.

Oh, my. That must have been just so awful to hear! I always thought that Jack's 'Excuse me' was harsh enough. Can't imagine him saying something even harher to Sam!
                sigpic

Comment

Start here!

The DC Series by Annerb

A series of standalone fics that pick up the Sam and Jack relationship after season 8 and follows through what might have happened behind the scenes of season 9 and 10.

It's brilliant! love these.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                    Start here!

The DC Series by Annerb

A series of standalone fics that pick up the Sam and Jack relationship after season 8 and follows through what might have happened behind the scenes of season 9 and 10.

It's brilliant! love these.
                    Thank you so much That looks like something I may just love to read
                    sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much That looks like something I may just love to read
                      Like others have said, this series is my head canon. It's beautifully written, incredibly sweet and completely realistic! I can really picture every second.

Comment

Like others have said, this series is my head canon. It's beautifully written, incredibly sweet and completely realistic! I can really picture every second.
                        Really, I just can't stop reading thw stories Just finished the second one.
                        And guess what... whatever I had planned for today, I don't think it will get done...
                        sigpic

Comment

That completely changes the whole meaning! French Jack is an ass!
                          I noticed that too. Esp. the role reversal in BtS, and I wondered about that. Had to watch it a couple of times, because I thought I was misunderstanding it. Why on Earth did they do that? I like the English original where it seems a lot harder for Jack to let go. Whereas Sam, as the more rational, just does what is necessary. The French one feels oddly ooc.

Gotta say this for French Jack though: damn hot voice. There used to be a clip of the Divide and Conquer za'tarc test in French on Youtube, but I think it was taken down. Love the timbre of his French voice though.
                          sigpic

Comment

They don't dub here, thank god. It always amused me whenever I was channel surfing and came across dubbed shows on the German channels or watched French ones on holiday. We just have subtitles and trust me, plenty of weird translation stuff happens there too (like literal translations of jokes that therefore don't make sense). But from a young age I basically stopped reading the subtitles without really realizing it and just listened to what was said. And since my midteens I've been downloading/streaming shows so I haven't bothered with subtitles for a long time.

Whenever I watch TV (which isn't often because I don't have one and most of my friends also stream/download) I ignore the subtitles and sometimes it even takes me while to realize it's in a different language because my brain automatically flips a switch.

I still don't understand why in some countries they prefer to dub over subtitles, because it gives the actors/actresses different voices (often ones that don't really fit with the person you see), the things they say aren't always the same but in another language (like your example) and the inflections and intonations are often different. Also, I would assume subtitling is cheaper than dubbing...
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Really, I just can't stop reading thw stories Just finished the second one.
                              And guess what... whatever I had planned for today, I don't think it will get done...
                              Sorry we ruined your day

Comment

I'm just watching Message in a Bottle... I thought Sam crying was bad but I really can't handle Jack crying!

Also, Sam, you just gave an analogy of the virus to fire, why did u just jump into an elevator?!

Comment

Working...
                                X