Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    But I'll just say that I like how the focus on S/J is often their genuine feelings and respect for each other but every now and then there are also those moments where they display the sexual attraction they feel, which is something I like especially because the show doesn't really focus on their looks/attractiveness even though they're both very attractive.
    Beautiful argument, thanks fems, it helped me decide which shippy moment to vote for

The Best Shippy Moment is . . .
    Season 2: Out of Mind – Jack checking out Sam’s naked bod (5)

vs.

Season 5: Enemies - After Jack is schooled by Dad, Sam says, "Welcome to my life." (8)

Comment

I'm glad you're still enjoying them!

Nope, never really bought the dumb act from Jack and I'd like to think he also picked up some stuff over the years after working with Daniel and Sam. I definitely think he acts stupid at certain times (when appropriate, not in the field) just so Sam will explain it to him (and give him her undivided attention) like the wormhole/apple explanation, but I wouldn't go as far as him understanding everything she says*. It helps, though, that Sam often uses simple metaphors and considering the occasional remark/suggestion ("couldn't we use that Ben Franklin thing?") from Jack he gets those less complicated things. Probably the known science, opposed to the more complicated (theoretical and/or extrapolated) stuff that Sam comes up with after seeing/experiencing some alien phenomena/technology.

* One of my fanfic pet peeves is when they make Jack übersmart and give him a master or even a PhD in astrophysics too! Or him having written books about it and/or reading Sam's theories (or other people's) and making little notes on the sidelines that disagree with those theories in detail... Even if he likes to play dumb to get the enemy to underestimate him I highly doubt Jack would take his act that far, especially since he really didn't seem to like getting yet another scientist on his team in the beginning. He could have easily argued with Hammond that he has the same qualifications and thus wouldn't need Sam in the field in that case.
      That's what I mean. The undivided attention part, especially. It's cute.

And, no, I doubt many of the personnel, who aren't science or some similar department, understand everything she says. While the thing about Jack being smart has never really been one of my pet peeves, it still seems a little OOC. I'd be willing to read fics like that if the fic was written and managed well. But otherwise? I probably wouldn't. His comment about scientists (while having one as his [head-cannon] wife and one as his friend) signals that he probably wouldn't take that avenue, or stand around when there was a problem of that nature to be solved if he did have a master or PhD. It's a trait you see in Sam, McKay, and Daniel. So wouldn't Jack want to help too if he could?

I find some of her explanations really cute. I mean, the way she 'dumbs things down', but not too much, just for him is adorable.
      Your Life Was Amazing Until You Met Me
      My FF.net . My Sci-Fi Art . My Stargate RPG . Sam/Jack Made Up Episodes Project

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
        I have a question for you about a thing I really don't understand!

There are a lot of fics where Sam gets pregnant while she still is Jack's 2IC and she runs away, doesn't tell him about the baby and maybe she even marries someone else!
        Do you really think that if she got pregnant (BTS, alien influence, screw the regs...choose what you are more comfortable with) she would do that? I can understand the "freak out moment", even that she could go away for a while to think and make a decision, but I don't believe she would deny Jack a second chance of fatherhood, even with the consequences for their careers. But maybe it's just me!
        Nope. Not just you.

I've read a bunch of those stories, and "Sam running away without tellling Jack" is beyond my comprehension. She just wouldn't do that. But I think the authors like to use it to show that even though Sam runs away, she and Jack still get together by the end (or sooner) of the story. While they might not wind up together, Sam would never run away and not tell Jack.

There are also stories where she runs away after BtS to try and "find herself" again or she runs away just because she loves him and just can't work with him any longer. Interestingly, she never tells Hammond either, so she's AWOL during her absence, but she never gets in trouble with the Air Force when she comes back.

Comment

I finished my drawing!!!
          That's how I imagine Sam and Jack future!

sigpic
          My vids Sig made by me

Comment

I finished my drawing!!!
            That's how I imagine Sam and Jack future!

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/2210/familypv.th.jpg
            It looks great, Chemmy! SJ_green.gif You're so talented.

The only things that look slightly off to me are that Sam looks like AT now (as in her current age with the fuller face) while Jack still looks like maybe season 5, 6 or 7, Jack's smile makes him look a bit, eh, toothless, and Sam's bottom lip looks a bit too thin.

But you've done an amazing job on these, I probably like 'em better than the ones you did of existing scenes. Grace is pretty much perfect too and I'm so jealous at your ability to draw noses! I used to draw a lot but the only thing that always drove me crazy when I tried to do portraits/people was that I couldn't get their noses right!
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I have a question for you about a thing I really don't understand!

There are a lot of fics where Sam gets pregnant while she still is Jack's 2IC and she runs away, doesn't tell him about the baby and maybe she even marries someone else!
              Do you really think that if she got pregnant (BTS, alien influence, screw the regs...choose what you are more comfortable with) she would do that? I can understand the "freak out moment", even that she could go away for a while to think and make a decision, but I don't believe she would deny Jack a second chance of fatherhood, even with the consequences for their careers. But maybe it's just me!

I don't think she would run away, Sam is too honourable and too by the book and they would work it out somehow. I don't think she would even go away to think, I think she would go straight to jack and tell him. I think they would both see it as a genuine reason to unlock that room
              sigpic
              Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

ahem in my mind Jack doesn't age...
                sigpic
                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

I must be able to read your thoughts, then.

Comment

Same here but since you had 'aged' Sam it confused me!
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Season 2: Out of Mind – Jack checking out Sam’s naked bod (6)

vs.

Season 5: Enemies - After Jack is schooled by Dad, Sam says, "Welcome to my life." (8)

After watching this yesterday just had to go for the naked bod appreciation. Just loved how he looked, then looked again then eventually snapped out of it 'ill go get you those clothes' and then of course you know the slightly wobbly legged Sam and time being of the essence, I can't imagine there being much time for dignity whilst getting those clothes on

Just out of interest did we bin the longest hug ever and the holding on to each others arms for eternity and the total look of love from the same two part episode???
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Same here but since you had 'aged' Sam it confused me!
                        It looks great, Chemmy! [ATTACH=CONFIG]37655[/ATTACH] Sam looks like AT now (as in her current age with the fuller face)
                        Nope, she's just pregnant again...but you can't see that
                        sigpic
                        My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Nope, she's just pregnant again...but you can't see that
                          Ooooh, why didn't you say so right away!

You do realize that I will now be expecting another drawing sometime in the near future that has the new addition to the family in it as well?
                          On FFnet or AO3

Comment

You do realize that I will now be expecting another drawing sometime in the near future that has the new addition to the family in it as well?
                            Dohhhhhh
                            sigpic
                            My vids Sig made by me

Comment

And I'll be joining the protest if such a drawing is refused. Call it withdrawal.

Comment

Season 2: Out of Mind – Jack checking out Sam’s naked bod (7)

vs.

Coz I like to swim.

Any Sam/Jack that starts out with Sam running away and raising Jack's child either alone or with some other guy automatically doesn't get a rec or a reread from me. I'll finish the fic just to see how it turns out but go no further.

Regarding Jack's dumb act, it is very difficult in the post-Vietnam all volunteer US military to advance beyond the rank of major(lieutenant commander in Navy/Coast Guard) without at least a master's degree usually from the appropriate graduate level military educational institution such as the Air War College or National Defense University.

So, Jack acting dumb to get Sam to explain things to him is quite deliberate as FishermanJack said to GeekSam, her technobabble is quite hot!
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X