Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    But seriously, I just finished living the period between Heroes and Threads while I was writing a story from Jack's POV (it was a LOOOOOONNNGG story). I think that one important thing to consider about this time was that they had both failed so completely in their personal lives that neither of them wanted to take a chance again. And they were insecure about how things would end up, and didn't want to chance that. So, they allowed the outside world to affect them, rather than being proactive Once they were able to see that they HAD to take the chance, they did. And they were happy. And it was good (I project, because TPTB never told us they were or it was. . . TThhpt to them).
    Yup. The only thing I'd add, and I think it's often overlooked, is that Jack had not only failed personally, he'd gone through such an incredible amount of personal pain and loss (as had Sam) that he simply couldn't face that pain again (as he learned, I think, and was the reason for his horror in fact in Upgrades/D&C) that he backed off from Sam largely in order to never go through that again. Until, as you say, Threads when they realized they didn't really have anything left to lose.. he was losing her anyway and it hurt just as badly.

I need to read your story, but as I'm doing a similar story myself (though I'm early enough that a lot of people might not realize it yet), I'm waiting until I'm done with mine. Though I've already written Sam's POV on it in Fear.

he smacks her butt--right? am I right?

I'm right.
    Absolutely. I can't see any other possible explanation for her startled reaction followed by resigned acceptance that that's just Jack It also, btw, along with the way they keep getting distracted by each other in the conference room scene at the end of Threads, is the reason I think they went fishing looong before they went fishing. Which while technically against regulations is the sort of 'against regulations' which happens quite frequently given they would have already decided to do something about their chain-of-command.

Comment

I've been watching Threads, (yes, yes again ) and have found a picture on a wall in Jack's office with what it seems two people on it, and a plain in the background. Now, the picture is very similar to the one from SGU episode Air ( i think).

sigpic

Comment

I love that--

they went fishing looong before they went fishing
        Great way to put it!

Now would their bait have been the chain of command---------

And I love how in Threads when the world's about to explode he yells "Carter" in the control room, and then tempers it and says "Carter" much more nicely a second later--shows TOTAL change in their relationship. . .dontcha think?
        sigpic
        My Stories: FFdotNet
        My Stories AO3
        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
          Though, frankly (and I should have thought of this earlier) from the 'a picture is worth a thousand words' department:
          Because, all joking aside, while I wrote the subtext, I do tend to think based on their expressions the subtext is pretty accurate. The indisputable (I think) fact is, after years of 'asking', the way Jack got Sam to finally go fishing with him wasn't by asking her... He had to take away all other distracting doohickeys and make her go...

<snip>
          *snort* He took her doohickey and replaced it for himself

Anyway...I just keep nodding today and don't have anything to add...

*keeps on nodding*

EDIT: the only thing I think of S/Js relationship is that I think since S6 (or so) they already behave like an old married couple...thus I dont'see a lot of difference when they're really together. (except for some ...fishy differences)
          sigpic

Comment

I've been watching Threads, (yes, yes again ) and have found a picture on a wall in Jack's office with what it seems two people on it, and a plain in the background. Now, the picture is very similar to the one from SGU episode Air ( i think).
            We kind of forget sometimes that Jack and Sam are pilots. Having descended from a long line of pilots (my grandfather's first license was signed by Orville Wright, and my grandmother met Amelia Earhart), I wonder if they know how to NOT take pictures of planes. My dad has so many pictures of himself or other family members in the exact same pose next to his plane that we have just started numbering the poses, now, for ease in the posing.

"okay, kids, do a number 4, bigger kids in back,kid closest to the nose touching the prop!"
            sigpic
            My Stories: FFdotNet
            My Stories AO3
            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

We kind of forget sometimes that Jack and Sam are pilots. Having descended from a long line of pilots (my grandfather's first license was signed by Orville Wright, and my grandmother met Amelia Earhart), I wonder if they know how to NOT take pictures of planes. My dad has so many pictures of himself or other family members in the exact same pose next to his plane that we have just started numbering the poses, now, for ease in the posing.

"okay, kids, do a number 4, bigger kids in back,kid closest to the nose touching the prop!"
              LOL - my dad was/is (he's the chief instructor pilot now that he's retired) - a C-130 pilot We have pictures of us in the cockpit - in Australia we were allowed to fly on the same plane my dad was flying so I got to wear the headset. For a nine year old that's like the coolest thing ever

Comment

And I love how in Threads when the world's about to explode he yells "Carter" in the control room, and then tempers it and says "Carter" much more nicely a second later--shows TOTAL change in their relationship. . .dontcha think?
                Oh..yeah. Actually (everyone whose been her awhile groans - deal with it! ) I think the very fact she protests the self-destruct idea also indicates that change. It's a bit out-of-character, IMHO, for Sam to not be willing to die in the hope of saving earth. And I think Jack knows exactly why she suddenly doesn't want to die, yet is frustrated (in more ways than one) himself about the situation, so he initially barks but then gets control...

It's that frustration in that scene (and yet another near-death incident) coupled with their smiles and their being highly distracted in the next which convinces me they actually went fishing sometime between the two. Plus John was the one who initially pointed it out to me, and since he's my official 'keeper of Jenn within the bounds of what's onscreen and not simply what she wishes to see,' I have no choice but to accept it

And now, though I don't wanna, I have to go to work (everyone cheers) and must take off. But since I'm going to be spending the day at work shopping, eating, and then going to church, it's hard to feel too bad

Comment

Air part 3 actually

I know there was a discussion on previous (broken) thread about it
                  sigpic

Comment

Yum Yum

Tongue...poke...in ...out...swirl...gasp...

sigpic

Comment

I lied. One more thing before I go:
                      Originally posted by starlover View Post
                      Exactly. I mean, seriously. That's exactly what he did.
                      the only thing I think of S/Js relationship is that I think since S6 (or so) they already behave like an old married couple...thus I dont'see a lot of difference when they're really together. (except for some ...fishy differences)
                      While I think that's generally true (especially on Jack's part), I do see a difference in them as individuals since they've gotten together. Jack is more serious, which I attribute to having less pain and more self-respect, and I think he'd used humor largely to hide his own feelings. I also think, as discussed yesterday, Sam is more confident and feminine, a result of her realizing she is truly loved and accepted for who she is and not what she is.

As for Jack's pictures, I just wanna know what the one on his desktop underneath the chessboard. We know who he's playing chess with, of course.

going... now....

Comment

[
                        Hah! He took away all her doohickies and replaced them with himself. Well - that'll keep her hands busy for a while. . .

*splash*

HATE HATE HATE that the forum doesn't go to the last post I read anymore. Meh.

Is there a place to post all the things we don't like about the new forum?
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

As usual, wanders into thread pretty much after discussion has been discussed, however ...

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                          Well, this is new.

Just catching up.

Maybe it's the terminology of "taking the lead" but I kind of think that what Jack and Sam have as a couple is a partnership.

Do I think Sam looks for an Alpha Male in terms of a partner? Yes. She's a strong woman and she needs a strong man to counter-balance that; someone she can't walk over but someone she can rely on to lean on when she needs to lean.

Do I think Jack is an Alpha Male? Absolutely. But he also looks for an Alpha Female to balance him. He needs a strong woman to counter-balance him; someone he can't walk over but someone who he can rely on to lean on when he needs to lean - and won't let him get away from the fact that at times he does need to lean.

So, I don't think any one of them "takes the lead" so much as they both just seamlessly (and maybe at times not so seamlessly), swap the lead depending on the day, the situation, the other's stresses and strains at that particular time. A partnership with both of them supporting, protecting and loving the other.
                          I agree totally with this. (*wishes I could put together my thoughts this coherently, but that's pretty much a lost cause*)

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                          I'm a severe lurker -- truly bad -- but I just wanted to say "ditto". This is how I see them as well. It's why I don't think Sam and Pete would've worked, he wasn't the right kind of male for her... that's poor wording, but I think you know what I mean.

And, look, I figured out how to green someone... only took me a few minutes....
                          Pete was a cute guy, but no alpha male.

Rachel500, you've hit the nail on the head. Sam couldn't have been happy with any of the other guys because they were wishy washy. And he needs someone who can kick his butt when he's being a doorknob.
                          And I'm sure Sam would be quite willing to do just that ... when appropriate. Especially after all those years of secretly never being able to when she really, really wished she could.

Comment

As for Jack's pictures, I just wanna know what the one on his desktop underneath the chessboard. We know who he's playing chess with, of course.

going... now....
                            Of course we know who he's playing with. We don't have any screen caps but that's ok, doesn't matter
                            sigpic

Comment

.While I think that's generally true (especially on Jack's part), I do see a difference in them as individuals since they've gotten together. Jack is more serious, which I attribute to having less pain and more self-respect, and I think he'd used humor largely to hide his own feelings. I also think, as discussed yesterday, Sam is more confident and feminine, a result of her realizing she is truly loved and accepted for who she is and not what she is.

going... now....
                              *nods* (told ya it was a nodding day...that happens when I'm losing my brain again)

I do think there have been changes, but I'm still thinking that some general ideas on which their relationship is build won't change. Becoming a couple of course has it's unique differences than just being good friends, but still the foundation stays the same.

You know it would be so cute if he had a picture of himself and sam together on his desktop...although I do think that is more a girly thing to do...*looks at desktops of father and brothers* ...yeah....I think he has something general on the background...like a picture of the Simpsons

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                              Hah! He took away all her doohickies and replaced them with himself. Well - that'll keep her hands busy for a while. . .

*splash*

HATE HATE HATE that the forum doesn't go to the last post I read anymore. Meh.

Is there a place to post all the things we don't like about the new forum?
                              I think they are fixing that.

As for a place to go. There is in the forum announcement section something with a "tweak list" in which people can say things that are wrong/fixed/cosmetic errors...but no complaining thread that I know of
                              sigpic

Comment

Here's a link to an explanation (by Kidwizz) of the changes here on Gateworld:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ation/page5385

Comment

Working...
                                X