Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
    It's not that it would affect the ova. I mean, there are a dozen places where getting pregnant can go wrong. The thyroid can keep you from maintaining a pregnancy by influencing hormone levels in the blood. A woman with a negative rh who carries a baby with a positive rh can see the baby as an intruder and she would miscarry (I have a negative blood type so I have to get a shot twice with each pregnancy to make sure my body doesn't attack the baby). Not enough progesterone. Too much prolactin.

That said, I usually just shy away from the naquadah in the blood story line - I haven't thought about it too heavily, but I can see and agree that it's a little hard to figure out how it would stay in the blood (anyone with a medical degree around here?) - we have things like iron and such, but we have to replenish those through food and such.
    I wasn't talking about pregnancy issues that would result in miscarriage or anything, but affecting the ova on a genetic level to ensure a "naquadah gene" would be passed on or something like that. You know, in a way that Sam (or any former female host) would automatically pass on naquadah to her offspring.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

what about Jack's Ancient gene? do you think the kid would either Jack's ancient gene or the naquadah?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
        what about Jack's Ancient gene? do you think the kid would either Jack's ancient gene or the naquadah?
        I think it would... that's how he had it to begin with, but like any gene there's the chance that it wont get passed along to the next generation.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          I wasn't talking about pregnancy issues that would result in miscarriage or anything, but affecting the ova on a genetic level to ensure a "naquadah gene" would be passed on or something like that. You know, in a way that Sam (or any former female host) would automatically pass on naquadah to her offspring.
          Perhaps - at least how I thought of it when reading such fics - they are supposing that the naquadah transfers from mom to baby through the umbilical cord. I have no idea if such is possible, I know that many things do transfer.
          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
            I think it would... that's how he had it to begin with, but like any gene there's the chance that it wont get passed along to the next generation.
            The kid, theoretically, could wind up with both the naquadah and the Ancient gene.
            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              I've always figured the ATA gene is probably dominant if it stems from Ancients and came into the human population by interbreeding and has survived for so long. If it's recessive then I'm not sure it could have survived ten thousand years (wasn't that how long ago they came back and left/ascended again?), after a few generations of interbreeding and then just humans.

Does anyone know if it was ever said whether Ayiana had the ATA gene? I thought they didn't know about it yet at that time so it's unlikely... but if she hasn't, then the only ones we know of who do have it (naturally) are male, right? That's interesting too. Could be only men have the gene, perhaps it's passed on with the Y-chromosome then.

Plenty of theories! But I do like to think Jack's offspring have the gene.

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
              Perhaps - at least how I thought of it when reading such fics - they are supposing that the naquadah transfers from mom to baby through the umbilical cord. I have no idea if such is possible, I know that many things do transfer.
              Yes, I've seen that theory (implied) as well, but I still have issues with it considering a fetus does not have the same red blood cells as a 'normal' human (or a six-month-old baby). Of course, that might not have much of an influence on the naquadah but I always like to compare it to iron (well, hemoglobin) because for some reason that makes more sense to me than it just floating around in the bloodstream, although I guess it could also be a normal mineral but that still doesn't explain everything...

Anyway, if it gets passed via blood exchange of baby and Sam then the baby would be similar to Cassandra, in that it would eventually be out of their system after a few weeks, months or years (depending on how the whole naquadah in blood "works"), since it isn't produced in the body. Considering how long Sam and Vala are both shown to still be able to operate Goa'uld tech/have naquadah they have to somehow produce it in their bodies, since that's years after their symbiote died/was removed.

And the whole naquadah in the host thing always makes me wonder if Jaffa would, theoretically, be able to use Goa'uld technology as well, or if their prim'tas merely contain the naquadah (rather than they themselves) and if perhaps that's why they can die when the symbiote is crushed in their pouch (or maybe that's the toxins a grown Tok'ra/Goa'uld can release upon impending death)... but that's a whole different subject.
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Does anyone know if it was ever said whether Ayiana had the ATA gene? I thought they didn't know about it yet at that time so it's unlikely... but if she hasn't, then the only ones we know of who do have it (naturally) are male, right? That's interesting too. Could be only men have the gene, perhaps it's passed on with the Y-chromosome then.
                It was never stated whether Ayiana had the ATA gene.

In season 4 of SGA, several women are shown to have the ATA gene. But it isn't stated whether they had it naturally or were given it as so many others were.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  It was never stated whether Ayiana had the ATA gene.

In season 4 of SGA, several women are shown to have the ATA gene. But it isn't stated whether they had it naturally or were given it as so many others were.
                  Ah, thanks! I watched that season once (or maybe twice) a few years ago and I don't recall the specifics, so I often have to rely on the wikia (which isn't very reliable at all) when it comes to stuff like this and they only have a small selection of names with folks who have the ATA gene.

It could be on the X-linked then, meaning a woman would always pass it on and a daughter could have both her mom's and dad's ATA gene, perhaps making her more 'powerful' and skilled at using the tech.

Who knows? A shame they have Jack and Shep as the two with the strongest/best ATA gene/skills, though.

I guess it also depends on whether the ATA gene was already naturally occurring or artificially introduced by the Ancients/Alterans themselves. I mean, if they wanted everyone to have it then it would make the most sense to have it be dominant and/or X-linked, but if it was just for a few, or they had the same failure rate as they did on SGA... or if it was naturally occurring.

I don't think we ever saw Adria use gene-locked technology and I didn't pay enough attention to the Alteran/Ori-story line to know whether they both had the ATA genes or whether it was something Alteran-specific (which could still be down to either artificial or natural).

It really is too bad they never gave us enough info about the origin and mechanism of the ATA gene and naquadah (which wasn't naturally occurring either, but they never really explained how the Goa'uld managed to introduce it to their species and make it work with the technology).

*sigh*
                  On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Wasn't Ayiana an actual Ancient/Alteran? They would by default all have the ATA gene. She did have the healing powers.

Though never stated, it was implied that Ayiana was the female who witnessed the departure of Atlantis from Earth to go the Pegasus galaxy. They did use the same actress for both parts.
                    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

But was it ever said all the Alterans/Ancients had the ATA gene? Because they seemed to be living among themselves at first so why would they need to gene-lock their tech if they all have that gene? Unless it was an Alteran/Ancient/Lantean (whatever) against the Ori thing, but I doubt the Ori would have needed to use technology when they were ascended and had their priors with powers.
                      On FFnet or AO3

Comment

But was it ever said all the Alterans/Ancients had the ATA gene? Because they seemed to be living among themselves at first so why would they need to gene-lock their tech if they all have that gene? Unless it was an Alteran/Ancient/Lantean (whatever) against the Ori thing, but I doubt the Ori would have needed to use technology when they were ascended and had their priors with powers.
                        If I remember correctly, the gene lock was made against the Wraith. I think it was somehow mentioned in SGA, but I don't remember the details...

Comment

How's the weekend?

Comment

Okay, so I know we had this conversation three weeks ago, but my brain is fried.

What are the years that are debated for Jack O'Neill's birth. I know I went for the earlier year in my head and now I can't remember what that was (was it a debate between '55 and '53?)

Now...'65 and '68 are debated for Carter. Where do we get these dates again? And which one do we think is right?

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                              Okay, so I know we had this conversation three weeks ago, but my brain is fried.

What are the years that are debated for Jack O'Neill's birth. I know I went for the earlier year in my head and now I can't remember what that was (was it a debate between '55 and '53?)

Now...'65 and '68 are debated for Carter. Where do we get these dates again? And which one do we think is right?
                              Jack: 1952 vs 1957
                              Sam: 1965 vs 1968

Brief Candle from 1997 had him saying he was forty years old -> 1957
                              Fragile Balance showed his security ID: John J. O’Neill, birthdate October 20, 1952.

I thought the (December 29th) 1968 DoB for Sam came from Entity (prop canon) but I'm not sure and I can't find the screen cap right now, so you'll have to check that yourself. The 1965 seems to fit better according to some people because of her achievements, her 100 flight hours for the Gulf War etc and because it's the DoB of AT herself. In Ascension Orlin gave her an emerald birthstone that apparently signifies that her birth month is May, though. Although she never confirmed or denied that was the correct month when he asked.

EDIT:
                              Okay, I checked the episode online and made my own screen cap. It was a very brief flash after it had already zoomed in on Sam's file and showed only up until her service number, but then it went back to Sam (the actual one sitting at the briefing room table) and there was another flash back to the screen showing the full file.
                              Last edited by fems; 13 October 2012, 10:39 AM.
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Jack: 1952 vs 1957
                                Sam: 1965 vs 1968

Brief Candle from 1997 had him saying he was forty years old -> 1957
                                Fragile Balance showed his security ID: John J. O’Neill, birthdate October 20, 1952.

I thought the (December 29th) 1968 DoB for Sam came from Entity (prop canon) but I'm not sure and I can't find the screen cap right now, so you'll have to check that yourself. The 1965 seems to fit better according to some people because of her achievements, her 100 flight hours for the Gulf War etc and because it's the DoB of AT herself. In Ascension Orlin gave her an emerald birthstone that apparently signifies that her birth month is May, though. Although she never confirmed or denied that was the correct month when he asked.
                                I tend to go with '52 because his ribbons have Vietnam as part of his service and that only makes sense if it was '52. '65 seems to make sense for Sam. I guess it's to each their own - I'm just trying to sort through this AU story in my head (darn you for getting me stuck on it LOL - I stayed up last night trying to envision this alternate reality).

Comment

Working...
                                X