Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
    Oh jeez... I hope you're not talking about mine...
    Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
    I love your "Strangers on a Train" fic, so you have at least one fan
    ^^ What Lucy said. (2) fans -you're doing very, very well -keep it up!

Some people don't read WIPs because they've been burned so many times with authors not completing their work, so there are likely people out there who are waiting for you to finish before beginning *cough* hint, hint *cough*....

sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post

Some people don't read WIPs because they've been burned so many times with authors not completing their work, so there are likely people out there who are waiting for you to finish before beginning *cough* hint, hint *cough*....

I'm one of them. Until I see "complete" I don't read it. One of the other problems that happens with WIPs is that they can end up too long (be mindful of that!). It's one of the reasons I won't post a long story until I've completed the whole thing because I generally find that by the time I get done writing the first draft, I've used more words than necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        I'm one of them. Until I see "complete" I don't read it. One of the other problems that happens with WIPs is that they can end up too long (be mindful of that!). It's one of the reasons I won't post a long story until I've completed the whole thing because I generally find that by the time I get done writing the first draft, I've used more words than necessary.
        The problem with my WIP is that I hit writer's block...and have yet to overcome it. The next multi chapter I try I'm going to get it done (at least mostly written & just chapter editing needed) before beginning to publish.
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

The problem with my WIP is that I hit writer's block...and have yet to overcome it. The next multi chapter I try I'm going to get it done (at least mostly written & just chapter editing needed) before beginning to publish.
          The only story I ever did as a WIP was Supposed Crime and it's sequel Professional Boundaries. It was...wow. Let's just say I won't do it again although I'm very proud of this particular story. I sat down before I started and I sketched it out from start to finish. I knew what would happen in every chapter and I knew exactly how it would end - and it took forever to finish, but I did it! LOL

Comment

My first fic turned into an 80-chapter monster because I basically had no idea what to do and had just started to write, with a vague ending in mind... I still do WIPs and make sure to complete them before I start a new fic (although notes and ideas are allowed, just no writing) unless I write two simultaneously, which I've done once and will probably never do again; it was very confusing because they were both set around the same time with some of the same characters. I was updating twice a week for one and once a week for the other and eventually had to work with post-its next to my screen to check for the differences (after I mentioned Sam's "late father" who wasn't dead yet in that one, but had died already in the other - luckily my first reviewer mentioned it within minutes of uploading and I immediately changed it).

These days I make notes, brainstorm and figure out most of the plot and set myself a chapter limit before I start writing. After a handful of chapters I upload the introduction chapter and then start an update schedule (with a bit of a buffer in the beginning) and continue to write and update. There have been times where I was unable to update but overall I seem to have very loyal readers (and reviewers) and they don't seem to mind too much if I miss an update; they know to check my profile/twitter to see if I've mentioned anything about not updating.

As for reading fics... I try not to read WIPs myself, because there are indeed too many people who either don't finish their fics or take years between updates. But lately there are so few new fics and I've already read so many that sometimes I do read the WIPs to get my S/J fix.

Oh, and no, Selene I wasn't talking about your fic.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Are you talking about me? *stomps foot*

I caved and started reading it. Love it! I'm catching up to her last update...so, um, keep up the good work selene.

I still want to know where you found the Jack picture in your Strangers banner.
              sigpic
              I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

No worries, all!

I'm tailoring the next chapter now, and I've got rough versions of the next, oh... four chapters as well.

For those who dislike WIPs, I feel yah. I was gonna wait til it was complete, but I hit writer's block, and I needed feedback to get back on track. That's why I started posting before it was done... But for now I'm sticking with at least once a week updates and a five-chapter buffer between writing and posting, so that I don't get ahead of myself.

That seems to be working out fairly well so far. And I'm glad I did start posting, because in posting it's kind of like reading it along with you guys, so I could tell when the plot was starting to drag, and I knew to pick up the pace a little bit. I don't know if I would have picked up on that if I hadn't been posting it as a WIP...

But I am a WIP offender. Slightly. I'm about five chapters away from finishing an NCIS fic, and it's been a while since I updated. But my plan is to finish this one and THEN buckle down for the NCIS. *nods* That is the path of least heartbreak, young grasshoppers!

Der. I'm a goofball.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                  I love all the advent art, but I think this is my favorite. Nik you must tell me how you did it. I'll be looking for the tut on the art thread.
                  Thanks! I've never done one, but most of my work, pretty much all of it, is playing around with layers...so I will see what I can do.
                  sigpic
                  I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

A last minute Flair from the celebration last night for Conn8d who posted after I went to bed.

And my apologies to iiradned for not posting his Flair last night. He was the first one to post on the Shipmas Thread and I had him at the top of my list, but I must have had a blond moment (not the brilliant astrophysicist kind).

Did I miss anyone else? Just let me know.
                    Last edited by hlndncr; 18 December 2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

The place seems pretty quiet. Folks must be all tuckered out from celebrating Shipmas.
                      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Or trying to catch up on all the shippiness they've missed out on.
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Or trying to catch up on all the shippiness they've missed out on.
                          This
                          sigpic

Comment

How do we find out individual post count to the thread again? I used to know this

Comment

How do we find out individual post count to the thread again? I used to know this
                              By clicking on the replies/views. It'll open a popup window with individual post count of the thread.
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Trying out new sigs...

Comment

Working...
                                X