Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
    It makes me sad that a character with so much potential was so badly treated by professional writers and yet can be so well written by amateur fanfic authors! GRRRRRR!
    Which is why I'm of the opinion that the writers of the show should have been fired and several of the best fanfiction writers should have been hired to write for the show. Or, at least the guys that wrote for the show should have been forced to consult with fanfiction writers on how to make their stories better.

Originally posted by hlndncr
    Oh and I thought of one more thing that drives me crazy in fanfic and that's everyone being really cavaleir with about discussing classified information in public or with outsiders (friends, family, neighbors, strangers at a grocery store, etc.)
    Thankfully, I don't think I've read any of those. If I have, I've blocked them out of my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
      You know I've been thinking about that too. But I've come to the conclusion that how I view the characters is still uniquely me. So even something that's been done to death will be different when I do it because it will reflect my own unique interaction with the characters. And I can read any story done a million different ways if it's done well. I've written at least a dozen post-Threads scenarios in my head, all a little different and I enjoy them all.

Truth is I think there are only about a dozen stories in the world. They are just told and retold over and over again. If it's done well it was worth the retelling.

Oh and I thought of one more thing that drives me crazy in fanfic and that's everyone being really cavaleir with about discussing classified information in public or with outsiders (friends, family, neighbors, strangers at a grocery store, etc.)
      I think I struggle as a fanfic author though because I want my fic to be fresh. Fleshing out what I said earlier, I agree, there's nothing new under the sun, but I want to write something that people want to read. Maybe this is weird, but I also want to write stories with high re-readability - I want to be *that* story, one of those stories that when you think I want to read a story about X, you go to my story - not in an egotistical way, but in the sense that I've written the characters with layers, that each read through has something different that pops out. (I'm passionate about writing and one day would love to be a pro!).

It's why I hang out on boards about my fandoms. I want to discuss these characters so I can create a dynamic story - my early S/J fic feels very 2-D to me, but as I develop my understanding of the show and the characters, I hope my fic becomes more compelling.

That said, what I want to do is create a fresh story. But as of yet, I've had no inspiration (also, NaNo has eaten my brain - I have less than 10k to go to goal!! W00t!)

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        Which is why I'm of the opinion that the writers of the show should have been fired and several of the best fanfiction writers should have been hired to write for the show. Or, at least the guys that wrote for the show should have been forced to consult with fanfiction writers on how to make their stories better.
        I couldn't agree more with you on this!

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        It's why I hang out on boards about my fandoms. I want to discuss these characters so I can create a dynamic story - my early S/J fic feels very 2-D to me, but as I develop my understanding of the show and the characters, I hope my fic becomes more compelling.
        It's interesting you should say that. There have been a number of times where I've started reading an early fic an author wrote, given up because I felt the characters weren't right and not bothered to read any more from that author, only to click a link recommended by someone here, really enjoy the fics, check who the author was and kick myself for not persevering with their work. Now, if I come across a new author, I try to read a selection of their work (old and new), before deciding if I like them or not.
        The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

I love all kinds of fics (canon, au, crossover, etc.). As long as they have enough S/J in them and don't have ships that I really don't like
          sigpic
          Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

since fics are the topic, and i was actually going to ask a question on this anyways...

if mgm never gives the fans closure via a combo movie or mini series, BUT, agrees to have novels written to continue the stargate adventures, *being canon*...

would you guys be satisfied with us getting our sam/jack confirmation that way?

i'm answering with YES. but, only if it's considered canon and it's true continuation of the stargate stories/series.

i don't want this to be considered fan fiction, aaaand, if mgm decided to bring back the tv franchise stargate, i'd want these novels be considered fact and the movie(s) would go on from them.

this might sound picky, but i'm just wanting that IF novels are written to continue stargate, i want them considered *canon*.

what sayith you, shippers?
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              since fics are the topic, and i was actually going to ask a question on this anyways...

if mgm never gives the fans closure via a combo movie or mini series, BUT, agrees to have novels written to continue the stargate adventures, *being canon*...

i'm answering with YES. but, only if it's considered canon and it's true continuation of the stargate stories/series.

i don't want this to be considered fan fiction, aaaand, if mgm decided to bring back the tv franchise stargate, i'd want these novels be considered fact and the movie(s) would go on from them.

this might sound picky, but i'm just wanting that IF novels are written to continue stargate, i want them considered *canon*.

I concur, with all the conditions mentioned about. Fanfiction is great, but it's not canon. Hence the reason I'm still waiting for some kind of closure, even I'm pleased with how things ended on the show. I don't really want them to *change* anything... I would like some stuff *added*...

Comment

No, because for me novels, comics, animated versions, etc. are not canon (in any fandom). They can vary from really close to canon to so not canon.

I wouldn't be totally unsatisfied if we did get confirmation that way and I would take it over no confirmation
                sigpic
                Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post
                  No, because for me novels, comics, animated versions, etc. are not canon (in any fandom). They can vary from really close to canon to so not canon.

I wouldn't be totally unsatisfied if we did get confirmation that way and I would take it over no confirmation
                  i know. this is like my last hope for confirmation.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

i know. this is like my last hope for confirmation.
                    Yeah
                    sigpic

Comment

I think I struggle as a fanfic author though because I want my fic to be fresh. Fleshing out what I said earlier, I agree, there's nothing new under the sun, but I want to write something that people want to read. Maybe this is weird, but I also want to write stories with high re-readability - I want to be *that* story, one of those stories that when you think I want to read a story about X, you go to my story - not in an egotistical way, but in the sense that I've written the characters with layers, that each read through has something different that pops out. (I'm passionate about writing and one day would love to be a pro!).

That's not egotistical -I understand that desire...it's a desire for excellence -for someone to read your fic and the scenes to unfold inside their mind in that same well-paced and nuanced way that the episodes did. It's a desire to capture the essence of the characters to the degree that the reader comes away thinking that your story could *so* have been an ep.

I feel it too.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

No, because that could mean all novels could be considered canon. I'd rather live without confirmation than consider a novel canon. But maybe that's also because without real confirmation fanfic writers can give it their own twist while remaining mostly in canon throughout their fics.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Oh let's see what else I've got in my head for fic:
                          • Pete as psychopath.
                          • Mark as overprotective brother - really? They're middle-age and she has combat training, one *what planet* does Mark live that he would ever think he needs to either take her to task over Pete or protect her honor against Jack?
                          • Sam taking random guys home or Jack taking random girls home - it's just too OOC
                          • Sam as Women's Lib Spokesperson

I just read a story this morning that I think has hit every single one of our pet peeves on this forum. Jack acting OOC, Teal'c being underutilized/improperly utilized, Sam as women's Lib spokesperson (though this was a very slight offense), drama over who gets to retire, Daniel is suddenly *Jack's* space monkey in particular, Sam acting OOC in the fact she blurts out her love just any old place as if it's the most important thing in the world-- right after she's had to deal with a butthead Jack (he's OOC, remember?)...

But silly rabbit that I am, I gave the chapters the author had posted the full read-through, trying to give it a fair shake.... But I realized I really do read *a lot* of fic, I just might not like all of it. :/

I really must say that after reading about how many ways a fic can go wrong, I'm SO glad Strangers on a Train has gone over as well as it has. You guys are picky readers!

Comment

Not picky - readers with discriminating tastes ...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                              Not picky - readers with discriminating tastes ...
                              Heheheheheh.... I stand corrected!

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                                Don't worry, Lucy...I think that's when the party really warms up We'll take whatever Lucy-time we can get...just enjoy that baby!!
                                Thanks SaraB!

Kid/Pet OT
                                Spoiler:
                                I am with Nyna... I love hanging out and playing with my nieces/nephews, but I am not a fan of animals, especially over excited dogs who jump-up, lick, and yap incessantly. I know they are happy to see me but I am not happy to see them, and I think they know it! I don't mind cats too much, but again, I had a friend whose cat just loved to sit on the couch behind my head and chew on my hair (which is long an curly). Sooo not a fan of that!

Comment

Working...
                                X