X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Thanksgiving OT:
    Spoiler:
    Thanksgiving was started by the pilgrims way back in the 1600's to give thanks for having arrived safely in the New World, for being alive, and finding friendly natives who helped them out during their first crucial years to survive.

Since then, it has just become a day of Thanks(giving), and for some it's just a great day to watch football and eat lots of turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and pie.
    Thanksgiving OT:
    Spoiler:
    The Pilgrims came to America for one reason, to form a separate community in which they could worship God as they saw fit. They couldn't do that in England. My husband is a descendant of George Soule from the Mayflower. I've heard the entire history...several times. I agree that people have forgotten why we celebrate it. Americans now celebrate Halloween more, skip Thanksgiving and move on to Christmas.

And on topic, Sam and Jack are always fishing.
    sigpic
    I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      I'd say "No." We'll be thankful for whatever we get.

And about Thanksgiving:
      Spoiler:
      Thanksgiving is just a day set aside to be grateful for what we've got. I think it's one of those holidays that should/could be worldwide--a little gratitude would go far in making the world a better place. In the immortal words of Sheryl Crow, Happiness isn't "getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
      Thanksgiving OT:
      Spoiler:
      Thanksgiving was started by the pilgrims way back in the 1600's to give thanks for having arrived safely in the New World, for being alive, and finding friendly natives who helped them out during their first crucial years to survive.

Since then, it has just become a day of Thanks(giving), and for some it's just a great day to watch football and eat lots of turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and pie.
      Originally posted by Treknik View Post
      Thanksgiving OT:
      Spoiler:
      The Pilgrims came to America for one reason, to form a separate community in which they could worship God as they saw fit. They couldn't do that in England. My husband is a descendant of George Soule from the Mayflower. I've heard the entire history...several times. I agree that people have forgotten why we celebrate it. Americans now celebrate Halloween more, skip Thanksgiving and move on to Christmas.

And on topic, Sam and Jack are always fishing.
      Thanks,
      (OT)
      Spoiler:
      I know some of the history behind it but I haven't actually experienced the holiday myself and from what I've read and seen on TV it looks like most people just say thanks and stuff themselves full with food. So I'm not sure how to make a nice fic out of that

Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Thanks,
        (OT)
        Spoiler:
        I know some of the history behind it but I haven't actually experienced the holiday myself and from what I've read and seen on TV it looks like most people just say thanks and stuff themselves full with food. So I'm not sure how to make a nice fic out of that

You could always write something about the team volunteering their time to serve meals to homeless and less fortunate. That is something that happens all over the country at various times of the year.

Comment

You could always write something about the team volunteering their time to serve meals to homeless and less fortunate. That is something that happens all over the country at various times of the year.
          That's a good idea. Even helping their fellow military who aren't able to be home with their loved ones. Kind of a thank you for what they are doing for their country.
          sigpic
          I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Hey Shippers!!!!

Tonight's the night . . . . SHIPSGIVING!!!

Just a few more hours to wait.

Also wanted to let you know that we are already on top of Shipmas plans. The S/J art thread is making another Sam/Jack Advent calendar this year. We still have some days available so if you or anyone you know is interested in sharing your art talents stop by the thread and sign up! And pass the word along.

Comment

Bed time for me...but my vid is already on YT (though still private). See you tomorrow for the Shipsgiving party
              sigpic
              My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion, but that's not really my thing.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I've updated my shippy moments pics with a few more. Pretty soon I'm just going to have to declare all of Stargate shippy and just replay every ep. My shippy glasses are thick and rosey and I see Sam/Jack love everywhere.

788 shippy moments and counting!

Comment

Just so everyone knows, I've cleaned out my inbox so you can PM me again.

Sorry to everyone who tried to PM today and couldn't get through.

Comment

Re: Thanksgiving - my daughter is doing something very nice with my granddaughter this year. Every night at bedtime they each say something that they're thankful for. It's "Thankful Out Loud" time.

I'm working on some stuff for Shipsgiving. Need to re-do an Advent calendar day. I'm just not happy with it. I like the over-all concept, but the execution just isn't any good.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        Re: Thanksgiving - my daughter is doing something very nice with my granddaughter this year. Every night at bedtime they each say something that they're thankful for. It's "Thankful Out Loud" time.

I'm working on some stuff for Shipsgiving. Need to re-do an Advent calendar day. I'm just not happy with it. I like the over-all concept, but the execution just isn't any good.
                        Steal one of Fluffy's cookies and just keep working.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Thank you for the suggestion, but that's not really my thing.
                          That's ok -I'm just relieved that a Thanksgiving-centric story is not required!

Spoiler:
                          I was adopted into the tradition, moving to the USA from the Bahamas -at first it felt odd, but I've incorporated it and am thankful (lol) of a family that expresses thanks at that time.

I do have a story cooking that occurs around Thanksgiving, but for the most part I don't touch the holiday itself -though I do touch the sentiment. Problem is that Muse is not done with it yet (grrrr!)

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Steal one of Fluffy's cookies and just keep working.
                          *snatches a cookie before Fluffy notices*

Sort-of OT with personal wallowings, but related to Shipsgiving (you were warned):
                          Spoiler:
                          Fatigue & drowning in one's own juices not fun. Left work early (thanks to awesome coworkers for kicking me out!). Got home in time for the chills, apparent fever (too sick to fetch the thermometer, but my lips are hot and chapped). Lying on couch in a pathetic little heap. Though dozing on the couch and catching up on rewatch is fun, being sick is not a good reason to do so. I hope it goes away before tomorrow! ACK! I snuck off of the couch to post this -going back now. Hopefully see you in the a.m.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Guess I'll have one of Nolamom's cookies too, since everyone else is indulging. So long as Fluffy doesn't take off a finger when I reach for one

Only a few hours to go.

Comment

Well, I'm so behind in my vid that is not funny

I don't know how much I'll be around for Shipsgiving, I will at least drop by a few times
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Oh (((Sara))) my poor hubby is sick right now too. Take care of yourself!

Funny however many cookies get snatched, the pile never gets any smaller - must be magic!

Just a few hours to go now...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X