• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[IMG]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/polrobin/sg1-8x06-2065.jpg[/]
    So...I was thinkin'...
    Cake?
    Um...okay. Sure. Cake.
    Exxxxxcellent.[/QUOTE]

She is SOOO thinking carnal thoughts there. . .

Hubba hubba.
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
      Sorry for being OT - I don't even know how the discussion started - but the bolded part is completely not true so I'd like to clarify that.

The only thngs that are dubbed in Poland are movies for kids (such as Pixar movies, Harry Potter etc) and cartoons - again, for children. And in this regard, Polish dubbing is among the best in the entire world

What you hear on tv IS NOT DUBBING. The way it works is this: a lector simply reads the translation of what the characters are saying when they are speaking. That's all. You can still hear the original soundtrack and the actors in the background, quite clearly I might add. Also, I can assure you that "getting character interaction" is not difficult at all. For one, when you grow up accustomed to it, it's only natural to tune out the lector and focus on the show itself. Two, there are only a few lectors (all male except for 1 female) in the entire country, and that's because it's a very tough and demanding job. A lector needs to have a good voice, perfect diction, pronouncation etc etc. Also, most of these guys are not actors by any means, as they neither act nor dub. They merely read.

Hope that helps.

PS. Oh, and the translation itself is a totally different matter altogether.
      Fair enough! Having only spent 3 months over there and not being a Polish speaker it struck me as a bad way of dealing with the language issue. I did hear the original soundtrack behind the 'not dubbing', I just felt that having one person (particularly if they are not an actor) read the translation would lose a lot of the subtleties that the voice inflection the actors use would bring to character interactions. However if you say it works well then I'll happily accept that (and apologies for misinterpreting it). I suppose I can see how you would get used to it, but a Polish friend of mine wasn't that impressed with the way it was done. I was glad that they didn't dub films at the cinema - it meant I could go and watch the new Star Trek in English!
      Last edited by Kunoichi; 18 November 2011, 03:57 AM.
      The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

So... I just made the batter for the cookies I'm bringing to the East Coast Shipsgiving day shindig, and now I'm all full of anticipatory goodness! Woo hoo!

Comment

We're having a Pre-Thanksgiving Luncheon on Sunday for the entire extended family (that's the only time we can all get together). I'm picking up pies that I ordered from my school's culinary arts department tomorrow.

Sooooo looking forward to Shipsgiving goodness on Saturday!
          sigpic

Comment

What's with all the guests?! Come out, come out whoever you are.
            sigpic
            I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
              What's with all the guests?! Come out, come out whoever you are.
              Do you suppose GW hiccuped? 106 guests???? That must be a record.

Comment

Good Grief - 106 guests!!! What are you waiting for - join in the fun!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  Do you suppose GW hiccuped? 106 guests???? That must be a record.
                  I have no idea, but if they all posted one Sam and Jack pic...major pic spam.
                  sigpic

Comment

Perhaps they're all getting in line for Ship Day?

Comment

Shipper Math

+ =

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        We're having a Pre-Thanksgiving Luncheon on Sunday for the entire extended family (that's the only time we can all get together). I'm picking up pies that I ordered from my school's culinary arts department tomorrow.

Sooooo looking forward to Shipsgiving goodness on Saturday!
                        I can't believe SHIPSgiving is almost here!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Perhaps they're all getting in line for Ship Day?
                          Whoa, I didn't know there was a line. They'll be waiting awhile.

I think they're waiting for the champion of The Best of the Ship to be crowned.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                            http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/polrobin/sg1-8x06-2065.jpg[/]
                            So...I was thinkin'...
                            Cake?
                            Um...okay. Sure. Cake.
                            Exxxxxcellent.

She is SOOO thinking carnal thoughts there. . .

Hubba hubba.
                            Carnal thoughts that include cake!

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                              http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/polrobin/sg1-8x06-2065.jpg
                              So...I was thinkin'...
                              Cake?
                              Um...okay. Sure. Cake.
                              Exxxxxcellent.
                              heh-heh

I so heard that in a very 'Jack' voice....

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                              So... I just made the batter for the cookies I'm bringing to the East Coast Shipsgiving day shindig, and now I'm all full of anticipatory goodness! Woo hoo!
                              We talkin' REAL cookies vs. the virtual kind?

*reconsiders that 6 hr drive to DC...*
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                                Carnal thoughts that include cake!
                                did someone mention Ship cake?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X