• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best of the Ship is . . .

“What about you? If things had been different . . .”
    “I wouldn’t be here.” (1)

vs.

Side Arms and Giggling (6)

Dives in the gutter along with the others.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

vs.

Side Arms and Giggling (7)

gutter wins over angst for me
      sigpic
      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

*joins others in the gutter*

Oh, forgot to vote

vs.

Side Arms and Giggling (8)
        sigpic

Comment

Looks like I've missed a lot of great match-ups this weekend, I so enjoyed reading all your votes even though I didn't get a chance to cast mine. This game is great for passing the time at work

So I have to throw in my opinion on this latest one:

“I wouldn’t be here.” (2)

vs.

Side Arms and Giggling (8)

The Solitudes scene was cute in many ways, but the "giggling" thing usually makes me cringe in fanfic. I don't know why, it just seems so OOC for Sam (unless she's slowly freezing to death in Antarctica).

I chose the "wouldn't be here" quote mainly because of the intense look on Jack's face as he says it. He's being intentionally vague, though in his defense I don't think the question was fair. I think he wanted Carter to make the decision for herself. Though his eyes are screaming "DON'T DO IT!" RDA's acting was superb in this scene. And, boy, did he look good in it.
          sigpic

I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post

While I enjoy the moment in Solitudes and Jack so wasn't wearing a sidearm...
            I just had the image of Sam visiting Jack in the infirmary and just saying over her shoulder while leaving: "Oh, Sir, you weren't wearing a sidearm at all!"
            sigpic

Comment

“I wouldn’t be here.” (2)
              vs.

Side Arms and Giggling (9)

I much prefer fluff (even if they're freezing to death ) over angst.
              sigpic

Comment

“I wouldn’t be here.” (3)

vs.

Because I love me my angst!
                sigpic
                The Return of King Arthur
                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

“I wouldn’t be here.” (4)

vs.

Because that particular piece of angst is so heartbreaking--and so completely vague. It's truly a genius line, for all that we hate it. How much discussion have we gotten into over what the heck it ACTUALLY MEANS????? How much fic has been written about what it means? What is the intended interpretation???

The side arms and giggling line is wonderfully fun gutter--but it is also clear and unambiguous. Besides, that early in the relationship it really doesn't mean much--it's more a line intended to break up the discomfort of their necessary physical proximity rather than to bring them closer together. It's wonderfully guttery, but it does nothing to bring them to any closure.

Can you even imagine how much Sam must have dwelled on what Jack said when he left her lab? And how her brain must have picked and stewed over the possible connotations of what he said? How terribly, terribly sad that she ultimately came to the wrong conclusion about what he'd meant and went so far awry in her decision. It also shows her own insecurities that she couldn't come right out and ask him--demonstrating what caused her to choose to accept Pete's proposal when all was said and done.

So, even though I'm a fluff and moderate gutter fan, I still have to choose the "What about you?" line for the pure genius factor. It's a fabulous way to keep the angst moving.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories: FFdotNet
                  My Stories AO3
                  Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                    “I wouldn’t be here.” (4)

vs.

Because that particular piece of angst is so heartbreaking--and so completely vague. It's truly a genius line, for all that we hate it. How much discussion have we gotten into over what the heck it ACTUALLY MEANS????? How much fic has been written about what it means? What is the intended interpretation???

The side arms and giggling line is wonderfully fun gutter--but it is also clear and unambiguous. Besides, that early in the relationship it really doesn't mean much--it's more a line intended to break up the discomfort of their necessary physical proximity rather than to bring them closer together. It's wonderfully guttery, but it does nothing to bring them to any closure.

Can you even imagine how much Sam must have dwelled on what Jack said when he left her lab? And how her brain must have picked and stewed over the possible connotations of what he said? How terribly, terribly sad that she ultimately came to the wrong conclusion about what he'd meant and went so far awry in her decision. It also shows her own insecurities that she couldn't come right out and ask him--demonstrating what caused her to choose to accept Pete's proposal when all was said and done.

So, even though I'm a fluff and moderate gutter fan, I still have to choose the "What about you?" line for the pure genius factor. It's a fabulous way to keep the angst moving.
                    I couldn't green you, but you basically summed up everything that I was thinking but couldn't convey. So
                    sigpic

I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

Comment

didn't TPTB once say that jack's line "I wouldn't be here" was up to the viewers perspective?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                        didn't TPTB once say that jack's line "I wouldn't be here" was up to the viewers perspective?
                        Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post

“I wouldn’t be here.” (5)

vs.

For exactly the reasons Akamaimom states. Unfortunately I can't green you for this at the moment Akamaimom, but I owe you one!
                          The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Loving the discussion.

Yes the ambiguous line full of angst, which is so much a part of their complicated dance.

And the oh so sweet joking (often bad), teasing and hidden smiles and repressed giggles that only Jack can ellicit from Sam.

OT Work:

Spoiler:
                            Mondays are bad, but today has been particularly awful. And I have a headache that just won't go away. Five more hours to go.

Comment

“I wouldn’t be here.” (5)

vs.

Side Arms and Giggling (10)

Because as much as I love the "I wouldn't be here" scene, when it's angst vs gutter, gutter wins! *splash*

*huggles hlndncr*
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

“I wouldn’t be here.” (6)

vs.

Side Arms and Giggling (10)

Because when it comes to angst, I dwell deep in the cavern.

EDIT: (also related to mirroring, angst, and this particular question):

Jack Look #89

He's seen the ring, she's weakly attempted to touch the line between them... and here, here we see the resignation in Jack's eyes. In his mind, he's lost her, he needs to let her go and it hurts like hell.

Interestingly enough, Sam has the same expression...

Comment

Working...
                                X