Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    I'm here. Just lurking and reading. Should be writing but I'm not.
    Reading is good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Reading is good, too.
      i read a lot now too. not as much as i did when i first joined online fandom , but now it's my life's blood to holding onto the ship... new stories, new adventures, and SAM AND JACK BEING TOGETHER.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
        That O'neill ornament with the replicators is cool! I saw one a few years ago that was the Stargate and had all four of them standing in front. It also had audio recordings of different sayings from the show, including Jack's "For Crying Out Loud"! I was poor at the time, but I wish I bought it!
        http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/6...stmas-Ornament
        And Jack and Sam are prominently side-by-side in the front!
        For the record, it is still available. http://www.litreasures.com/xcart418/...cat=403&page=4
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by penjab View Post
          For the record, it is still available. http://www.litreasures.com/xcart418/...cat=403&page=4
          Sweet!
          sigpic
          Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i read a lot now too. not as much as i did when i first joined online fandom , but now it's my life's blood to holding onto the ship... new stories, new adventures, and SAM AND JACK BEING TOGETHER.
            I agree! I am a fanfiction junkie and it is my way of keeping Jack and Sam going...well, in good fic.
            sigpic
            I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

I can honestly say I have never read any fanfic. Must get onto that hey?! lol
              It's my sidearm, I swear!

Comment

Originally posted by Solitude View Post
                Be warned! It's like an addiction! I feed on fanfic like the Wraith feed on humans

Comment

You just have to find the good ones, otherwise it might turn you off. You could check the S/J rec thread in the fanfiction thread, check out the ones that have been nominated for Ship Day, the GateFic Awards... I'm sure people here (or in the fanfiction area) wouldn't mind giving you a list of fics to start with. There is a lot of good stuff out there, but unfortunately there is also a lot of bad stuff. And some categories might not be your cup of tea...

But yeah, reading (and writing) fanfic can be very addictive!
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

OOhh--Gatefic awards. When is the voting over? I've totally forgotten about that!

As for fanfic. . . there is awesome stuff, and there is awful stuff, of all makes and models. You kind of have to wade through it before you know who you can trust to give you a good story. But fems' suggestion to go to the Fic Rec thread is great. Also, many of us on this thread and the Discussion thread write. Most of us that do have links to our pages at the bottoms of our sigs. Feel free to click there, too.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories: FFdotNet
                    My Stories AO3
                    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      You just have to find the good ones, otherwise it might turn you off. You could check the S/J rec thread in the fanfiction thread, check out the ones that have been nominated for Ship Day, the GateFic Awards... I'm sure people here (or in the fanfiction area) wouldn't mind giving you a list of fics to start with. There is a lot of good stuff out there, but unfortunately there is also a lot of bad stuff. And some categories might not be your cup of tea...

But yeah, reading (and writing) fanfic can be very addictive!
                      Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post

As for fanfic. . . there is awesome stuff, and there is awful stuff, of all makes and models. You kind of have to wade through it before you know who you can trust to give you a good story. But fems' suggestion to go to the Fic Rec thread is great. Also, many of us on this thread and the Discussion thread write. Most of us that do have links to our pages at the bottoms of our sigs. Feel free to click there, too.
                      Very good advice. Reading the really bad stuff first could turn you off fanfiction for life, but when you find an author you like it can be extremely rewarding (and frustrating, waiting for them to produce new material). You'll have to try the various categories to find those you like, those you don't really like and those you avoid like the plague!
                      The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
                        Very good advice. Reading the really bad stuff first could turn you off fanfiction for life, but when you find an author you like it can be extremely rewarding (and frustrating, waiting for them to produce new material). You'll have to try the various categories to find those you like, those you don't really like and those you avoid like the plague!
                        And if you've never read ANY, well then, there are categories to it.

Fluff is just that--happy fluffy sweet romantic or funny fluff. Perhaps not much substance, but something that will make you smile.
                        Angst is yearning, longing, and not being able to act on those feelings. (People partial to this live in what we call the "Cavern of Angst".) Stories set anywhere from seasons two through eight are often Angst.
                        Smut is Mature. There's a lot of this floating around, and some of it isn't clearly marked. If it's not for you, tread lightly. Some authors only know how to write smut.

Some stories are an amalgamation of them all.

If you're looking for stories that show them as a couple, look for stories marked "Sam/Jack established relationship" or some such phrase. Stories marked "Team Gen" are just that--they won't have much Sam/Jack interaction in them.

There's lots to learn about fanfic, but it's worth it when you can find an author (or thirty) that consistently make you squee! at their Sam and Jack goodness. Have fun! If you like the stories, let the authors know by leaving a comment or two--it makes their day!
                        sigpic
                        My Stories: FFdotNet
                        My Stories AO3
                        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

speaking of fan fic, there is a new member here on GW who is doing a research project on fan fic. Legitimate, university-based, out of Australia. From what I understand, she/he (not sure which) is going to do some surveys. Could be interesting.
                          sigpic

Comment

And the best thing about fanfiction is that what one person finds awful is somebody else's favorite fanfic
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Check out the Sam/Jack Fic Rec Thread for many, many excellent Sam and Jack stories. And those are only a small part of fanfiction. There are others devoted to the team, to each member of the team, to the Atlantis expedition, and to many, many others. http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/5...k-Sam-Fic-Recs

You can also usually look at the name of a forum member to the left side of a post or the bottom of a post to see if they have a link to their own fanfics, and go check out some of those. Just to get you started on fanfic, mind you.

Comment

Never read fanfic

Wow. We are so glad you joined this thread Airman Solitude. Take all the great suggestions made by fellow shippers here and look out for the cool links that are posted from time to time when one of us finds a story we think is worth sharing.

Read up a storm

I'm so excited for you.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Mada
                                As a matter of FIC

Comment

Working...
                                X