Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lilac736 View Post
    Well, I'm stuck! Let me know how it works for you. I'm not sure if it's the book or just me, I get sidetracked by fanfic all the time.
    Do No Harm is another one that was good but dragged on way too long. It could have been half the length.

OT Four Dragons:
    Spoiler:

It's not just you. The book is boring. She spends way to much time on meaningless details. (Did I really need to know what the bathroom faucets look like in a Goa'uld cargo ship?) And she introduces characters that she claims are there for depth, but they are underdeveloped and underutilized, which just makes them clutter. IMO it is the author's unsuccessful attempt to hide an obvious paucity of actual plot.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
      Do No Harm is another one that was good but dragged on way too long. It could have been half the length.

OT Four Dragons:
      Spoiler:

It's not just you. The book is boring. She spends way to much time on meaningless details. (Did I really need to know what the bathroom faucets look like in a Goa'uld cargo ship?) And she introduces characters that she claims are there for depth, but they are underdeveloped and underutilized, which just makes them clutter. IMO it is the author's unsuccessful attempt to hide an obvious paucity of actual plot.
      OT Four Dragons
      Spoiler:
      Good to know I'm not alone. Sometimes I need some time to get into the story of a book, thought that may be the case here. But if you struggled too, maybe I will give up on it.

I’m just reading Little Red’s "Painting it Blue". I’m not finished, but I wanted to share a little something with you guys. Here is a quote: “She was going to get pneumonia. She knew she was. She was, by and large, a very healthy person, but once a year she always came down with something nasty. Last year it had been a Tok'ra in the head. This year, it was definitely going to be pneumonia.” I couldn’t stop laughing.
      sigpic

Comment

Came down with a Tok'ra in the head. Should that really count as catching something?

Comment

The Power Behind the Throne is by far the worst Stargate novel ever written!!!! It should never have gone to print. Just the basic errors in simple, well-known facts were enough to make me want to throw the thing against the wall.

OT Publishing Issues:
          Spoiler:

The author claims to have watched every episode of Stargate in a few weeks before he started writing a story he already had outlined before he ever watched the show. It was originally supposed to be a trilogy, but the first one was so bad and took so long for the publisher and MGM to approve (because they realized there was no fixing it) that it was published just to fulfill the guys contract and get rid of him.

OT SG1 Novels:
          Spoiler:
          I really liked Barque of Heaven (not at all shippy though).

City of the Gods is good, if awefully cliche.

Rosewell and Hydra were both great ideas executed poorly, IMHO.

I enjoyed Valhalla (although the cover notes and art are misleading) and Alliances.

I know a lot of people really like A Matter of Honor and The Cost of Honor. Personally, I think they went on too long. It should have been one book.

The latest, Four Dragons, is not the worst but certainly has its flaws. It's very boring (Daniel spends more than half the book playing a board game, which is described in excrutiating detail); a lot of the characterization is off IMO; and there are some really significant plot holes.

I have enjoyed the few Atlantis books I've read much more. Maybe because I'm not as into Atlantis so I don't know it as well and can let a lot of the details slide. I'm seriously considering giving the Legacy series a try. The author is pro-S/J and teaser chapter I read felt pretty authentic.
          See...this is the thing. I own all the published SG-1 novels but have yet to get through the first one. I then, of course, cannot read the others because then I'd be reading them out of order! (I know...compulsive).

I was never a fan of Atlantis, but I have such huge respect for one of the SGA Fandemonium authors that I've purchased the latest (and because said author is an avowed S/J shipper. Always a good thing.

Er...this is shippy, this is shippy, this is shippy.

I know! The Grace kiss!

Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
            Sorry for the double post, but it's worth it.

Reccing a vid my zoomanu.

This video was awesome... like a mini-fanfic!! Thanks for posting!!!

Comment

I've never read any of the published SG-1 novels, I just figured I'd be disappointed due to lack of ship! So I read as much fanfic as possible for my ship-fix!!

Oh.. and happy hug day everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                I've never read any of the published SG-1 novels, I just figured I'd be disappointed due to lack of ship! So I read as much fanfic as possible for my ship-fix!!

Oh.. and happy hug day everyone!
                Me too! I stick to fanfic b/c all I really want is ship. And, I'm not even interested in subtle ship. It needs to be super shippy.

hlndncr -- Love the hug spam.

As for voting for the Valenship day -- February 19 works for me. My birthday is on the 20th, so I'll consider it as a nice way to start my "birthday weekend"

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhJd...&feature=feedu

Worth it? You're not freakin' kidding! Effing brilliant video. It's not a fanfic, it's an episode.

Well, well, done. I'd comment on YT but it's hatin' on me right now.

Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

See...this is the thing. I own all the published SG-1 novels but have yet to get through the first one. I then, of course, cannot read the others because then I'd be reading them out of order! (I know...compulsive).

I was never a fan of Atlantis, but I have such huge respect for one of the SGA Fandemonium authors that I've purchased the latest (and because said author is an avowed S/J shipper. Always a good thing.

Er...this is shippy, this is shippy, this is shippy.

I know! The Grace kiss!

YES! I love S/J Shippers for Feb 26,2011.

~HolyAngelQueenSG-1~

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhJd...&feature=feedu

Worth it? You're not freakin' kidding! Effing brilliant video. It's not a fanfic, it's an episode.

Well, well, done. I'd comment on YT but it's hatin' on me right now.

Wow! This was fantastic! Thanks for the rec!

Edit: just checked the other vid that was recc'ed and realised they are one and the same! Thanks to both of you! (Although I was a little disappointed that there wasn't two fabulous fic like vids to watch )

Comment

Hey everyone!
                        Holy crappers I really NEED to come to these threads more often
                        sigpic
                        My tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Sam1969 View Post
                          Hey everyone!
                          Holy crappers I really NEED to come to these threads more often
                          Yes. The more the merrier!
                          sigpic
                          My Stories: FFdotNet
                          My Stories AO3
                          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

OT Writing Rant:

Spoiler:
                            So I sat down today determined to write at least one chapter of my latest story. But I am having some kind of massive writers block. I know what I want to write, but I just can't seem to get the words out. I've spent more than two hours and only have three very pathetic paragraphs.

Ugh!!! What's wrong with me? I really want to tell this story, but for some reason it's just not coming.

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

Advice for waking my dormant muse?

Comment

OT Writing Rant:

Spoiler:
                              So I sat down today determined to write at least one chapter of my latest story. But I am having some kind of massive writers block. I know what I want to write, but I just can't seem to get the words out. I've spent more than two hours and only have three very pathetic paragraphs.

Ugh!!! What's wrong with me? I really want to tell this story, but for some reason it's just not coming.

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

Advice for waking my dormant muse?
                              *hugs*

OT:
                              Spoiler:
                              to make you feel better I started writing a story a year ago, upload the first, I think four chapters, have five more written...I have the entire story pitched, chapter wise(12 chapters total...so I only had to write 3 more) and haven't touched it in months...I know what I want, but just don't feel like writing!

*hugs again* Try to do something else for a little bit; watch an episode or so...it might help!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                                Yes. The more the merrier!
                                Indeed.
                                I think I'm going to go make some Sam/Jack art.
                                sigpic
                                My tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X