Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
    I really, really like your assessment of that scene. It really rings true, IMO.
    I agree, very well said!

Comment

A

I think Jack would have been peeved that
      Wicked ending spoilers
      Spoiler:
      they left Elfaba alive at the end.
      I don't think he'd be peeved about the ending of Wicked
      Spoiler:
      Elphaba was the sympathetic character in Wicked, the whole story was based on her innocence, and how circumstances forced her to make a stand against the Wizard and appear evil.

Comment

OT

Spoiler:
        Was watching an episode of star trek the next generation and they mentioned a system called the T-Tauri system and it made me think of Stargate.

Comment

Oh, she wasn't so sanguine about it when she was in LA last year, I think it was. A fan asked about that and Amanda was quite blunt in her response about not being pleased. In the end, she finished with a tongue in cheek, "at least my dress was pretty."
          Not to be snarky(?) about it, but I'm so glad to know she felt this way. She always tries to put a positive light on things, but I'm happy to hear how she really felt about something.

Comment

i mean besides his son dying what else would make Jack the tin man? or is he the scarecrow? and teal'c's the tin man?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
              I don't think he'd be peeved about the ending of Wicked
              Spoiler:
              Elphaba was the sympathetic character in Wicked, the whole story was based on her innocence, and how circumstances forced her to make a stand against the Wizard and appear evil.
              While I found Glinda to be especially annoying in Wicked(the show), I did not find Elphaba to be sympathetic. In the book, she is not at all, and I think in the show they did a poor, mish-mosh job of trying to turn her into a sympathetic heroine. JMHO. I know that's not a popular opinion. And I did enjoy the show, I thought it was entertaining and fun.
              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

While I found Glinda to be especially annoying in Wicked(the show), I did not find Elphaba to be sympathetic. In the book, she is not at all, and I think in the show they did a poor, mish-mosh job of trying to turn her into a sympathetic heroine. JMHO. I know that's not a popular opinion. And I did enjoy the show, I thought it was entertaining and fun.
                I found Elphaba to be sympathetic (in the book). She was incredibly complicated--and I was intrigued by her. I think that the treatment by Maguire was heavy handed, but that was the style of the book. I think that she might have been a different personality given the opportunity to be--being born as she was, being raised by people who hated her, being made into the scapegoat for everything wrong with the world would make a person dark and difficult to like. I think that she honestly tried to do what she thought was best and right, and it always came back to bite her in the butt. She reminds me of my second child, who has Asperger's. She carries some of the same characteristics as Elphaba--her inability to "fit it", her inability to see the gray area between the black and the white, and her lack of desire to conform to others' standards for her, to name a few. Given a different environment, she may have been a more caring individual.

I think that Jack would have identified with her character (as Maguire wrote her in the book--I don't know about the play) because he's been pigeonholed in some of the same ways in his life--and as Elphaba's vitriol and sour character is her coping mechanism, his sarcasm and self-denegration is his. He's an introspective enough person to be able to see that, I believe.

BUT! These are characters on a TV show, and there is no one way to look at anything, so I suspect that many of you see this in a completely different light.
                sigpic
                My Stories: FFdotNet
                My Stories AO3
                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

*crawls in*

I just like "200" and even though I don't agree with the fact that Sam wasn't Dorothy, because that is what was "hinted' towards in the entire series. I do understand it in this case as Rachel500 says it is from Vala's PoV.

Other than that I'm not even sure if I ever saw the movie(probably have), I just remember going to the musical in the Netherlands(which is probably different from the American/English version).

The thing I just disliked in general is that Jack was the one who always referenced towards it and in "200" Vala all of a sudden pitched it. I would have prefered if Jack would have made the reference.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                    And now I shall go to bed to dream of the perfect way to dodge the tomatoes that I am sure will be hurled my way.
                    Tomatoes are so messy. How about this instead?

I think that she might have been a different personality given the opportunity to be--being born as she was, being raised by people who hated her, being made into the scapegoat for everything wrong with the world would make a person dark and difficult to like
                    Hmmm ... just the opposite of Harry Potter, but same sort of upbringing.

And on a separate note:

Congratulations on 3000+ posts!
                    Last edited by hedwig; 12 January 2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Okay, a bit of a different topic, but I'll ask anyway.
                      Since I’ve been sick for the last few days I had a lot of time to read a massive amount of fanfic. I noticed that in a lot of stories Jack is complaining about his knees and/or his back. In many cases this caused his retirement or it is at least one reason why he took the job at the Pentagon. I can’t remember if something like this was ever mentioned on screen, but I haven’t seen the later seasons in quite some time, so I could be wrong. I know he had surgery during "Redemption Part 1", but this would have been cured when he blended with Kanan, right? And after this he spent a lot of time in a sarcophagus and was at least two times in Asgard care. Do you think after all this it would still be an issue?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac736 View Post
                        Since I’ve been sick for the last few days I had a lot of time to read a massive amount of fanfic. I noticed that in a lot of stories Jack is complaining about his knees and/or his back. In many cases this caused his retirement or it is at least one reason why he took the job at the Pentagon. I can’t remember if something like this was ever mentioned on screen, but I haven’t seen the later seasons in quite some time, so I could be wrong. I know he had surgery during "Redemption Part 1", but this would have been cured when he blended with Kanan, right? And after this he spent a lot of time in a sarcophagus and was at least two times in Asgard care. Do you think after all this it would still be an issue?
                        First of all *huggles for being sick* I hope you get better soon!

Secondly, I have no clue. It was an ongoing issue in the entire series that he had problems with his knees/back...he does say something about it in S5(proving ground), but I don't know for sure if it is mentioned after that again.
                        Anyway, I don't know if the sarcophagus would heal those problems or if it would only heal the most important problems. I would say, yes, because the Goa'uld use it for a longer life span and thus they need it to heal things that come with old age. So I would say yes on the sarcopagus.
                        The Asgard on the other hand only probed his mind and deleted the Ancient knowledge. I don't think they healed anything else than that, thus that wouldn't have helped him with his knee/back problems.

Kanaan on the other hand is an interesting topic as well. You would think he would heal that, because that is one of the things the Goa'uld/Tok'ra do. They help the human body live longer than what it is made for, but I don't know if Kanaan was long enough in Jack to heal that or that he just healed the main problem and then already fled to get that girl and get stuck in Ba'als fortress.

Interesting thing indeed, but I think even if it was healed at the time, the problems would probably come back because Jack is a human after all and with his age you get more health issues. So Jack needed to leave the field after a while any way IMHO. *shrugs*
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey Guys,
                          no... i remember is: Narri's house for DNA. Jack said " Dorothy... Oz of wizard. you killed wick witch green."

LOL!

~HolyAngelQueenSG-1~

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                            OT

Spoiler:
                            Was watching an episode of star trek the next generation and they mentioned a system called the T-Tauri system and it made me think of Stargate.

OT ST:TNG
                            Spoiler:
                            Funny, I was watching ST:TNG the other night and they said something about an event horizon that made me think of Stargate.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                            Yes. This. Thanks for putting it so much better than I ever could have!

And we can quibble all we want over the fact that the writers made it Vala's version of it, but in the end, that's what stands in canon. I still liked it, and I guess for us (okay, me) who don't like the movie in the first place, it was a good compromise.
                            I have a hard time accepting 200 as canon. It is just too wacky and off the wall. For example, they've set up a whole party with cake for Cam on some alien planet because he likes to count the number of times he steps through the gate? Umm, why? And Jack flies in from "Malibu"? Huh? And Walter does a superman-like quick change from the control room to the gate ramp. Sorry but IMO the whole thing is pure fantasy. (Except the wedding of course, that was real. Sam has pictures. )

One reason I'm up and posting at ridiculous times was because I got caught up reading fanfic myself. *shakes fist to heaven* Curse you fanfic for being so enticing!

Jack does tell glowy Daniel at the begin of Full Circle that the health of his knees and back are "kind of weather contingent." So that would indicate to me that he still has those issues after Kanan. Perhaps the symbiote only cured the plague and because a full blending never took place he never got around to fixing Jack's knees and back. And I don't think the Asgard ever did anything for Jack except remove the Ancient knowledge from his brain. There's no indication they ever did anything to treat him medically.

EDIT: I agree with Jann.

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                              First of all *huggles for being sick* I hope you get better soon!

Secondly, I have no clue. It was an ongoing issue in the entire series that he had problems with his knees/back...he does say something about it in S5(proving ground), but I don't know for sure if it is mentioned after that again.
                              Anyway, I don't know if the sarcophagus would heal those problems or if it would only heal the most important problems. I would say, yes, because the Goa'uld use it for a longer life span and thus they need it to heal things that come with old age. So I would say yes on the sarcopagus.
                              The Asgard on the other hand only probed his mind and deleted the Ancient knowledge. I don't think they healed anything else than that, thus that wouldn't have helped him with his knee/back problems.

Kanaan on the other hand is an interesting topic as well. You would think he would heal that, because that is one of the things the Goa'uld/Tok'ra do. They help the human body live longer than what it is made for, but I don't know if Kanaan was long enough in Jack to heal that or that he just healed the main problem and then already fled to get that girl and get stuck in Ba'als fortress.

Interesting thing indeed, but I think even if it was healed at the time, the problems would probably come back because Jack is a human after all and with his age you get more health issues. So Jack needed to leave the field after a while any way IMHO. *shrugs*
                              I agree, but don't you think it would at least give him an advantage of a few years? So he should be in better shape than other people his age.
                              sigpic

Comment

I agree, but don't you think it would at least give him an advantage of a few years? So he should be in better shape than other people his age.
                                In general he's probably in better shape than most other people his age. This isn't because of what the sarcophagus did, or Kanaan, but just because he exercises. Probably has to eat healthy in general and stay active(mentally and physically).
                                I think he already hold on for a long time before he kind of retired from active field duty. I think Jack was in his late 40s or even 50s before that happened.

The way he "used" his body would make any person get health issues(knee/back wise) later on...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X