• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    Last Campfire of season 3 is up. Enjoy.
    Yay! *goes to read*

Great vid recs!
    sigpic
    Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
      I think that Sam's influence wasn't as overt, and that's what you're seeing discussed. It is easy to see the growth of the officer, the leader, the caring commander in Sam. More subtle is how Jack was changed by Sam.
      I don't attribute the caring Commander bit to anything related to Jack. That's just who Sam is, and she didn't get that from Jack. She would have been that even if she'd never met Jack. What I'm trying to say (and not very well, apparently) is that Jack wasn't anymore responsible for who Sam became than anyone else. Yes, he influenced her in military matters and in her confidence in herself, but so did many other people. There have been posts that seem to suggest that Jack was the only one responsible for the person Sam Carter became. And that's just not true.

But that analogy is perfect for seeing Sam's influence. Look at Jack's character over the years. How open is he? How willing to trust?

That's down to Sam.
      Erm ... actually, I don't see that he's all that much more trusting or open than he was in year one. But if he has become more so, yes, it is due to Sam ... and Daniel and Teal'c. But they (and Hammond) are really the only ones he's more open and trusting with. And Cassie and maybe Janet.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      If anything, my opinion is that he changed more because of her.
      Definitely.

So, it goes both ways. I think that she (and Daniel--let's be fair) both allowed him to change into the stronger leader that he was later in the series.
      I think I said that in my previous post.

I think that she gentled him a little, made him step back and see things more clearly. I think that her "I need more time!" taught him a little more patience, and creative ways to get around things. And I also think--quite literally--that she saved his life several times. And all this without losing what made him essentially him.
      See I just always saw that as Jack having become so confident in her skills that he thinks she can just whip up a solution almost instantly. And he often sounds or behaves impatient when she says "I need more time". It often seemed to me that his demand for an instant fix from her while eventually giving her more confidence, could also have just the opposite effect by causing her to mentally freeze. And I don't think he ever understood that. If anything, I keep thinking that could have created more of a burden on her than confidence.

My comments came about because we were talking specifically about Jack's leadership skills having rubbed off on her. But I don't think that she was AT ALL the same kind of leader than he was.
      Actually, the comments I've seen for a long time have not specifically talked about "Jack's leadership skills" rubbing off on her. They've been more vague and general than that, which is why it comes across (to me) as talking about the influence he had on her as a person. I never thought she was anything like the same kind of leader he was (actually, I never thought about it at all). I don't think anybody has ever suggested that. She was her own kind of leader. And to tell the truth, I don't see Jack as being any better a leader than any of the other commanders at the SGC. Well, actually, he is better than some of them, but equal to others. The good ones, like Jack, just have differing ways of leading.

My point was that talk in this thread seems to focus more on Jack than on Sam (like, from my perspective, about 75% Jack, 25% Sam). The way I'm reading both these posts is that they are both slanted toward Jack, with somewhat lesser references to Sam. I'd probably feel the same way if the slant was the opposite, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        Here's where Jack and Sam are going to send their kids. . .

Or where I want to send mine!

Stargate School
        Wow! That's for real, isn't it?

Since it's in Colorado, I wonder....

Comment

That Stargate School was opened the same year as the original movie as well. Makes you think!
          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
            That Stargate School was opened the same year as the original movie as well. Makes you think!
            It does, indeed!

Hey, all. So far, seven people (including me) have weighed in on the date for Shipsgiving. That's not a lot. So far, the vote stands at:

Saturday, November 6: 0
            Saturday, November 13: 1
            Saturday, November 20: 6

If you haven't voted, please do. And if you are in contact with other shippers via email, Facebook, etc., please ask them to run by and vote!

Hugs to all!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
              It does, indeed!

Hey, all. So far, seven people (including me) have weighed in on the date for Shipsgiving. That's not a lot. So far, the vote stands at:

If you haven't voted, please do. And if you are in contact with other shippers via email, Facebook, etc., please ask them to run by and vote!

Hugs to all!
              If you're looking for more votes we could always do it the Chicago way (vote early; vote often). So put me down for 23 more votes on Nov. 20, and another 10 for Nov. 13 just for the heck of it. But if any of yous mugs votes for the 6th I may have to send me boys to bumps you off.

Comment

It does, indeed!

Hugs to all!
                put me down for Saturday November 20th too
                Saturday, November 20: (7)
                sigpic

Comment

It does, indeed!

Hugs to all!
                  Saturday the 20th sounds good, it is the closest to Thanksgiving!

Comment

I wish I had something shippy to say...

But I wanted to share my plight with all of you: Shannon vs the Car of Doom

I did think that Jack would never have this happen and Sam would be able to take off the door and fix it.

Where's a car-savvy astrophysicist when you need one?

OH SHIPSGIVING...

I vote 20th. Procrastination baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                      I wish I had something shippy to say...

But I wanted to share my plight with all of you: Shannon vs the Car of Doom

I did think that Jack would never have this happen and Sam would be able to take off the door and fix it.

Where's a car-savvy astrophysicist when you need one?

OH SHIPSGIVING...

I vote 20th. Procrastination baby.
                      I loved that!

Ok, I like procrastination so...

Saturday, November 20: (8)
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Saturday, November 20: (9)
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

I just finished reading Beyond the Night.
                          I can sincerely say that that is is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. Just amazing!
                          sigpic

Comment

Saturday, November 20: (10)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post
                              I just finished reading Beyond the Night.
                              I can sincerely say that that is is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. Just amazing!

Reading it now. Fantastic.
                              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Saturday, November 20: (11)
                                sigpic
                                Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                                My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Working...
                                X