Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    This may not be the kind of Jacob/Jack/Sam story people were wanting recently, but it's cute:

Death and Taxes by dietcokechic
    That was fun! Thanks for the link!

And since people were asking about fic **shifty eyes shifty eyes**

This one is angsty with a capital angst. . .

Frets and Strums

By the way, has anyone heard from JenniferJF lately? I'm missing her sage insights and cute fic. Anyone? Anyone?
    Last edited by Akamaimom; 21 October 2010, 05:03 PM.
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post
      I liked that one
      so did I.......her fics are cool....

edit: I found the part with Jacob's reaction to Selmak's "breasts" comment particularly hilarious
      Last edited by mad_gater; 21 October 2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the fic recs. Going to read them when I get some time.

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
        I think we need a chart for this!! You know, like those growth charts for stuff to do with real life...
        I'd like that. It'd be a great way to see how the realationship evolved.
        We'd have the Jack & Sam sine wave.

What is it with maths and this thread?

(Must I remember that + = ?)

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        Here's where Jack and Sam are going to send their kids. . .

Or where I want to send mine!

Stargate School
        If I were living anywhere close, I'd want my kids to go there. Sadly, Colorado is a bit far. ;P
        sigpic
        Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
        My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
        Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

This may not be the kind of Jacob/Jack/Sam story people were wanting recently, but it's cute:

Death and Taxes by dietcokechic
          Hah - don't you just love Selmak!!

That was fun! Thanks for the link!

And since people were asking about fic **shifty eyes shifty eyes**

This one is angsty with a capital angst. . .

Frets and Strums
          Wonderful -have left review in the proper place

Comment

So...no more set-up/reset eps then? Huh, I figured you all would generate a longer list/discussion.

Oh well. Back to shippy discussions then.
            Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Sorry Pol. You got me thinking though. Never a good thing!

(Dammit I still have a threads fic to write! )

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
              I'd like that. It'd be a great way to see how the realationship evolved.
              We'd have the Jack & Sam sine wave.
              Yeah... see I'm working on it.

Oh new fics. Something for me to print off and read while hubby is wizzing around the track in his DB9 tomorrow (I bought him a track day for his birthday last month; I'm not jealous that he gets to drive an Aston Martin while I get to stand around in the cold).
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                So...no more set-up/reset eps then? Huh, I figured you all would generate a longer list/discussion.

Oh well. Back to shippy discussions then.
                Are you only talking about blatant ship--or stuff around the ship as well? Because I've always seen a set-up/reset arc from "In the Line of Duty" to "The Tok'ra II". Jack plays an important part in Sam's growth, here.

And I don't know if it fits, but Season 4 (or as I like to call it, the Season of Glory) contains not only those shippy ship eps, but also eps that make us aware that Sam fully knows who Jack is and of what he's capable.

Six episodes are back to back which are totally incongruous, and yet provide a clear character sketch of O'Neill.

So, Season 4 could also be the "caveat emptor" of Ship.

From the stoic, deadly mercenary of "The Other Side" to the silly mercenary of "Upgrades".

From being willing to sacrifice himself (poignantly) to save Sam in "Divide and Conquer" to sacrificing his brain and time to save the world in "Window of Opportunity".

"Scorched Earth" where he is chillingly willing to annihilate one civilization to save another, to "Beneath the Surface" where he is angrily willing to annihilate one civilization to save another.

I don't know how these juxtapositions work in your scheme, but that's just something I've been thinking about lately--and they were prompted by me looking at your question and thinking about it.

(Yeah--I could never just answer the "normal" question in college, either. )
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

Are you only talking about blatant ship--or stuff around the ship as well? Because I've always seen a set-up/reset arc from "In the Line of Duty" to "The Tok'ra II". Jack plays an important part in Sam's growth, here.

And I don't know if it fits, but Season 4 (or as I like to call it, the Season of Glory) contains not only those shippy ship eps, but also eps that make us aware that Sam fully knows who Jack is and of what he's capable.

Six episodes are back to back which are totally incongruous, and yet provide a clear character sketch of O'Neill.

So, Season 4 could also be the "caveat emptor" of Ship.

From the stoic, deadly mercenary of "The Other Side" to the silly mercenary of "Upgrades".

From being willing to sacrifice himself (poignantly) to save Sam in "Divide and Conquer" to sacrificing his brain and time to save the world in "Window of Opportunity".

"Scorched Earth" where he is chillingly willing to annihilate one civilization to save another, to "Beneath the Surface" where he is angrily willing to annihilate one civilization to save another.

I don't know how these juxtapositions work in your scheme, but that's just something I've been thinking about lately--and they were prompted by me looking at your question and thinking about it.

(Yeah--I could never just answer the "normal" question in college, either. )
                  Jack is such a rich character, isn't he? Those episodes play off against each other really well, different sides, different days, different aspects of him. And oh yes, she knows him very well! She has no illusions about him at this point, not the kind of hero worship she had back in first season.

I think we see her similar evolution later on. And what each experience leads to. I think New Order absolutely leads to Atlantis' Be All My Sins Remembered. Sam is just as cold as Jack ever was extinguishing the Replicators. There are a couple of shots in there that remind me so much of Jack.
                  sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

You know you want too...

!!!SECRET SANTA!!!

What is Secret Santa?
                    Everyone who signs up for it makes something for another person. You can make anything you like. Music videos, fanmix, icons, wallpapers, headers, poem, fics, stories, picture stories, ... Be creative, everything is a go.
                    So you'll be making something for someone but you'll also be getting something.
                    You do have to make something that is related to Sam/Jack, unless you know that person will also be happy with something else.

How does it work?
                    Fill in this form, and mail it to: [email protected]
                    Subject line should be: Secret Santa Sam/Jack thread. If you don't do this, it will end up in my spam!!!

Your E-mail: So I can contact you (it will not go to the person who has to make something for you). Please do use the same e-mail when sending me your form, it makes things easier for me
                    Nickname: and name if you want it to be personal. This is NOT COMPULSORY. Since I'm not on here much, nicknames (full nicknames that is) will help me!
                    Things you want to make: Just tell me what your willing to make, if you are willing to do everything, just say so.
                    Things you don't want to make:
                    Things you really like made for you:
                    Things you don't like made for you:
                    Favourite colour, episode, moment, picture, song, quote, plotbunny,other shows: obviously you don't have to answer on everything but it might help the person who makes something for you to give you what you really like!
                    message for your secret santa: be original, cause it is funny. Please don't skip it because your secret santa might like it

Deadlines:
                    Singing up can be until 5th November then I'll send the assignments out around the 8th of November.

Assignments have to be in my mailbox before the 15th December! Then I'll be mailing them off to everyone And if you want you can post them on this thread.

Attention:
                    If I got your e-mail of signing up and also later when you send me the assignment i'll mail you back as soon as possible, so you know I got your e-mail. If you didn't get a e-mail back, I didn't get it. Sometimes it might take a few days though.

I could also do with some people who wants to be a back-up when someone can't make something or forgot, cause i have experienced that from other years. If you wanna be a back-up please add that to your mail. Thanks!!!

Also if you know shippers who aren't on this thread any more, or on GW any more but still wanna participate, you can always send this message.

!!!SECRET SANTA!!!

Comment

I started my rewatch again, and Children of the Gods was yesterday.

About the recut (I watch that since my kids are around when I'm watching. . .):

The infamous "reproductive organs" line has been cut out, and I have to say that the way it's edited now (for me) makes it shippier. They have these long looks at each other, like there's an instantaneous attraction. I like that! I don't get the same feeling in the old version.

Also--Emancipation: They share a few cute looks in this one, too.
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                        I think we see her similar evolution later on. And what each experience leads to. I think New Order absolutely leads to Atlantis' Be All My Sins Remembered. Sam is just as cold as Jack ever was extinguishing the Replicators. There are a couple of shots in there that remind me so much of Jack.
                        Not really surprising given her experiences with them since the team first met Fifth and the others, and what the Pegasus replicators almost did to Jack and Woolsey.

Comment

Not really surprising given her experiences with them since the team first met Fifth and the others, and what the Pegasus replicators almost did to Jack and Woolsey.
                          Yep. That was one of the things I thought worked so well! Sam is shaped by her experiences, and you can see her mentors in her, Jack and Hammond and Jacob. And she's got that edge. I love it when fic explores and acknowledges that! Because that's something Jack can understand about her that Pete never would.
                          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

So, set-ups and resets...

First Wave: Chemistry

Set-up: Children of the Gods
                            Apex: There But for the Grace of God/Politics
                            Reset: The Tok'ra

Discussion: For me, the first wave is all about the chemistry and the suggestion that Sam and Jack might make a good couple. It was introduced in COTG, built up through early episodes and Solitudes, and came to an apex when Daniel discovered in another universe Sam and Jack were together. For me, the obvious reset to this happens in S2 with the introduction of Martouf, who was clearly to meant to be a serious love interest for Sam.

Second Wave: Falling

Set-up: Out of Mind/Into the Fire
                            Apex: Nemesis
                            Reset: Small Victories

Discussion: For me, the second wave is all about the long slow slide into them realising they have fallen for each other which comes to a head with the fishing invitation in Nemesis. introduced in the S2/S3 two-parter, and building up through episodes such as POV and A Hundred Days until Nemesis. The obvious reset to this happens almost immediately with Small Victories and the repeat of the fishing invitation which Sam continues to refuse and thus suggest, yes, they like each other but nothing is going to happen.

Third Wave: Love Hurts

Set-up: Divide and Conquer
                            Apex: Beneath the Surface
                            Reset: Entity

Discussion: The onset of the third wave happens almost immediately into S4 with D&C, and for me is all about exploring the fact that the two of them do love each other, trying to put their duty first (and hiding more complex fears about relationships) and how they deal with that. Most of the S4 episodes help to sustain the thread but the apex is the angsty Beneath the Surface. The reset is Entity of course, when Jack is forced to kill her and we see the pain that loving each other could cause them and why they love each other, be together and remain in SG1. And so, Jack takes a step back.

Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Waves: Just Friends?

Set-up: Ascension
                            Apex: Desperate Measures
                            Reset: Meridian

Set-up: Redemption
                            Apex: Paradise Lost/Metamorphosis
                            Reset: Full Circle

Set-up: Fallen/Homecoming
                            Apex: Evolution
                            Reset: Grace

Discussion: There's a large swathe of S5 through S6 and into S7 which for me is about them adjusting as friends and each of them seperately struggling with their emotions and to keep it purely friendship but it kind of happens in a trio of waves, with each initial set-up redefining them as 'friends' but the apex showing that they still love each other before the reset throws them back to 'friends.' Grace being the ultimate reset with Sam concluding that she must move on from her feelings from Jack (although I would still say this is ambiguous within the episode itself).

Set-up: Redemption
                            Apex: Metamorphosis
                            Reset: Full Circle

Seventh Wave: Lost Love?

Set-up: Chimera
                            Apex: The Lost City/New Order
                            Reset: Affinity

Discussion: The seventh wave is the most angsty because it's reset is the hardest. Because Chimera was all about the suggestion of whether Sam was moving on, but The Lost City and New Order show clearly that Sam's feelings haven't really moved on from Jack at all. Yet, Affinity seems to be the death knell as she's engaged to marry Pete so everything must be over for her and Jack...

Eighth Wave: Fishing

Set-up: Gemini
                            Apex: Threads

Discussion: The eighth wave is short and sweet. For me, it's clearly suggested in Gemini that Sam still loves Jack, that RepliCarter knows and even calls her on it, suggesting that Sam is a coward and isn't going after what she really wants because of her adherence to the rules and fear. Which to my mind gets Sam thinking and, of course, the outcome of that thinking happens in Threads when she realises she's making a mistake with Pete, finally faces Jack and finally goes fishing.
                            sigpic
                            Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                            My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

I won't quote it because it's long, but I just have one (kindly meant and kinda giggly) word for you, Rachel500. . .

Overachiever.
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

The infamous "reproductive organs" line has been cut out, and I have to say that the way it's edited now (for me) makes it shippier. They have these long looks at each other, like there's an instantaneous attraction. I like that! I don't get the same feeling in the old version.
                                Yup. The way CoTG is cut together now looks like there is an instrant attraction. I like it!

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                                Yep. That was one of the things I thought worked so well! Sam is shaped by her experiences, and you can see her mentors in her, Jack and Hammond and Jacob. And she's got that edge. I love it when fic explores and acknowledges that! Because that's something Jack can understand about her that Pete never would.
                                Yep! I love SGA fics that explore this but there are so few of them that are well written AND have a good S/J element
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X