Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    Oh, thanks for reminding me. Yes, that scene is icky. Why not just play it normal? shudder
    Sorry for the ick jckfan! That scene just seems unnecessary. Surely it would have come out in a briefing that Jack was off to rescue Daniel. Why turn it into some bizarre meeting in Sam's lab, complete with soft-focus Sam and customarily stilted Jack. What are we supposed to take from it?

Comment

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
      Why turn it into some bizarre meeting in Sam's lab, complete with soft-focus Sam and customarily stilted Jack. What are we supposed to take from it?
      That Jack was so in love with Sam, and couldn't stand to leave her while his friend might be dying? If so, considering Jack was acting weird half of the episode, Jack might was possessed by some alien and every alien loves Sam.

Back to topic, Sam's answer "Good" has always bothered me, it sounds like boosy and rude, at that moment I have the feeling, "Who the hell is Colonel here?"

Comment

There's another off moment at the end of the ep. Sam and Co come down the ramp, where Jack and Daniel (on crutches!) are waiting.

Jack and Sam wander off to lunch but ... where is Daniel?! Unless he had motorised crutches, he couldn't possibly have left the Gateroom so quickly. Still, obviously, no-one, least of Daniel, could put the kibosh on Lunch a Deux! (Actually, I assume everyone met up for lunch, but that's just me ... )

Comment

Ooooo yes, lunch in that teeny tiny box they call a "commissary"....how "womantic" - snurching a line from Blazing Saddles aka Lily Von Stupp -

Yeah...I much prefer the Commissary scene from the likes of Urgo for Team!Spirit.....

The actors were ALL so generous with their time and talent, they deserved better imho...

Deeds xx
          sigpic
          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

There were some great commissary scenes, or scenes where the team, or most of the team, ate together and chatted and hung out.

There was O'Malley's, of course, although no Teal'c; the scene where Daniel was asleep and Sam woke him up by stroking his back (awww!); Urgo!; Unending (one of the very few enjoyable things about Unending and it was only part of a montage *sigh*). There was even a Jack and Sam lunch scene I enjoyed ... the one where they discuss Cadet Hailey. There was no sign of shippiness there. It could be done, people!!

I miss my team ...

Comment

Honestly, I think Jack is too much of a prejudiced bigot for Sam. I can't believe they put them together! Sure, you might think he's just untrusting, but he hated the tok'ra for a very long time, he never warmed up to the russians (good reasons, but still) he killed Reese, he essentially made Fifth go insane, etc. etc. Sam/Jack was mangled from the start, they just don't fit. I want them to stay teammates. Sam was diplomatic, Jack wasn't, Sam is smart, Jack never understands what she's saying. They balance each other out- as teammates.

Yeah, there's my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'ra_Raven View Post
                Honestly, I think Jack is too much of a prejudiced bigot for Sam. I can't believe they put them together! Sure, you might think he's just untrusting, but he hated the tok'ra for a very long time, he never warmed up to the russians (good reasons, but still) he killed Reese, he essentially made Fifth go insane, etc. etc. Sam/Jack was mangled from the start, they just don't fit. I want them to stay teammates. Sam was diplomatic, Jack wasn't, Sam is smart, Jack never understands what she's saying. They balance each other out- as teammates.

Yeah, there's my opinion.
                It was a bad idea, badly executed and never resolved. That about sums it up.

And, yes, they do balance each other, as team mates. When they WERE just team mates, without the spectre of ship colouring every action and reaction, they fed perfectly into the fantastic team dynamic we all love. Pity that disappeared when they ramped up the shippiness.

Welcome, by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                  Bringing this back up with a couple of RDA snippets from his panel at Oz Comic Con, Brisbane this weekend...a friend is there right now and live tweeting...she gave a couple of little gems for us fans...the emoticons are my own intepretation

"(favourite Stargate moment?) RDA: "Kissing Daniel!"

"RDA: "I thought Jack and Daniel had more chemistry than Jack and Sam. Michael and I liked to tease the audience, and ourselves..."

There you have it

Deeds xx
                  Quoting Deeds from another thread, I hope she doesn't mind? Let me know if you do and I will ditch the quote.

I think this really is the crux of why Sam and Jack was such a washout as a relationship and why it petered out to nothing in the end. When one of the two actors involved (and an executive producer to boot) isn't invested in it, doesn't act it, not because he can't, (RDA cut his teeth in Soap Opera, you won't convince me that he *can't* do romantic) but because he doesn't see it as an important, integral part of his character, it's just not going to happen.

Plus it was all compounded by the writers not having enough courage in their convictions to actually go with it. Rather than just dropping coy hints and shoving it down, down, down into subtext for the benefit of one, limited, area of the fanbase, to the point of becoming utterly banal and tedious to the rest of the fans and the non-fannish viewers (who made up the bulk of the audience, of course. By the time we got to the end of season eight, it all came to a head in a few brief scenes in Threads and they were so low key that the general viewing audience, not 'in' with the fannish crowd, must have been jolly confused.

FF
                  sigpic

Comment

Quote away....perfectly happy for you to..

Deeds xx
                    sigpic

Comment

after rewatching SG-1 several times now it is very clear to me that they would not work
                      sigpic
                      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                        after rewatching SG-1 several times now it is very clear to me that they would not work
                        May I ask what makes you so sure about it?

I admit that it wouldn´t be easy for them being seperated for long periodes, her being in Atlantis and later on the Hammond.

Comment

Some people see the Ship, some don't....we all have differing reasons..this thread is a place where those of us who don't see any Sam/Jack Ship, never have, or never will, can post safely and comfortably...

Personally I find the "romantic" moments in Stargate between Jack and Sam, cliched and forced...but as always in fandom ymmv and each person is entitled to their own particular feelings about a pairing....

Deeds xx
                          sigpic

Comment

My question was not intended to be aggressive or somthing, I´m just curious for the reason, that´s it ;-)

Comment

Oh I know it wasn't...nor was it taken to be
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nerwen View Post
                                May I ask what makes you so sure about it?

I admit that it wouldn´t be easy for them being seperated for long periodes, her being in Atlantis and later on the Hammond.
                                for me I don't think Jack was not emotionally available he was always kinda closed off
                                sigpic
                                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X