Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    LOL - that's probably true. Yes, I knew RDA was not quite 60, I just didn't know the exact age. I guess he just looks older to me because I know several men (including my father) who are in their early 60s and still have their original hair color.
    To be fair with RDA it's genetic - he started dying his hair in his early 30s

Comment

Originally posted by silkie View Post
      To be fair with RDA it's genetic - he started dying his hair in his early 30s
      Oh I'm not criticising him - I knew a girl in college whose hair was salt and pepper before she turned twenty, and her mother was snow white by 30.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

RDA/Jack is 58, Sam/AT is 43. Most of Riker/Troy fans were past caring by the time they got these 2 together...
        I agree with this. I don't think Riker/Troi fans weren't interested in them getting together because they thought they were too old, I think they didn't care because it had taken so long that they had lost interest. I know I was stunned when I heard that they had hooked up because I thought that ship had sailed a long time before the end of the series.

Based on how TPTB have already teased S/J shippers I wouldn't be surprised if they tried hooking them up, out of the blue, a few years from now. If there are more movies after the current batch, then look out.

Although I'm not an S/J shipper I can feel their pain now that I've seen Threads. I'm still amazed that TPTB left no doubt that there was a S/J attraction/interest in this late Season 8 episode and then completely ignored it in Seasons 9 and 10. What was the point of subjecting the audience to this if they weren't going to follow through?
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana

Comment

I'm a Sam/Jack Shipper and if the Ship is not resolved by Continuum I'm done with Stargate. I'm not waiting a second longer. It's not worth it. Thanks for feeling the Shippers pain maxbo. TPTB and Actors created the Sam/Jack scenes and episodes not the Shippers. They should not have started anything if they had no intention of wrapping things up within a normal time period. I'm really starting to get a good idea why people may be Anti Sam/Jack Ship. TPTB have made it real easy. I should thank TPTB in a way. No matter what happens to Ships from my other Shows now it does not bother me at all.
          Last edited by ses110; 13 January 2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

RDA/Jack is 58, Sam/AT is 43. Most of Riker/Troy fans were past caring by the time they got these 2 together...
            I thought Jack was younger than RDA and Sam was younger than Amanda?
            I might be wrong.
            Age isn't a real issue for me; people can get together at any time of life, but I was thinking of SciFi's target audience, who are young males, if I recall?

LOL - that's probably true. Yes, I knew RDA was not quite 60, I just didn't know the exact age. I guess he just looks older to me because I know several men (including my father) who are in their early 60s and still have their original hair color.
            I think RDA still looks very good. I just hope that he ages gracefully, unlike good old W*ll**m Sh*tn*r, who was running about in a corset and wig, long after he should have known better. I was so chuffed when Sh*tn*r went on to do Boston Legal, when he showed that there was life in the old dog without trying to recapture his action hero days. I think RDA is canny enough to know this and know that Jack's days as action man must be over by now.

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
            I agree with this. I don't think Riker/Troi fans weren't interested in them getting together because they thought they were too old, I think they didn't care because it had taken so long that they had lost interest. I know I was stunned when I heard that they had hooked up because I thought that ship had sailed a long time before the end of the series.

Based on how TPTB have already teased S/J shippers I wouldn't be surprised if they tried hooking them up, out of the blue, a few years from now. If there are more movies after the current batch, then look out.

Although I'm not an S/J shipper I can feel their pain now that I've seen Threads. I'm still amazed that TPTB left no doubt that there was a S/J attraction/interest in this late Season 8 episode and then completely ignored it in Seasons 9 and 10. What was the point of subjecting the audience to this if they weren't going to follow through?
            Years ago, I read an interview with Michael Shanks where he described S/J as a 'red herring' relationship. He, and I assume all the rest of the actors, knew that the writers were not going to offer resolution to the fans, even way back then.

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
            I'm a Sam/Jack Shipper and if the Ship is not resolved by Continuum I'm done with Stargate. I'm not waiting a second longer. It's not worth it. Thanks for feeling the Shippers pain maxbo. TPTB and Actors created the Sam/Jack scenes and episodes not the Shippers. They should not have started anything if they had no intention of wrapping things up within a normal time period. I'm really starting to get a good idea why people may be Anti Sam/Jack Ship. TPTB have made it real easy. I should thank TPTB in a way. No matter what happens to Ships from my other Shows now it does not bother me at all.
            If Stargate has stopped being fun for you, then walking away is probably the best thing for you to do. A TV show should give you pleasure, not stress. There is nothing wrong with watching SG1 just for the S/J but if it's not fun, why bother?

FF
            sigpic

Comment

Good points. I stopped watching SG-1 in the middle of Season 9. I doubt I'll like the first Movie AOT. I'm still debating about buying Continuum. I think Pro Sam/Jack Shippers have gotten a bad rap over the years as well as Anti Sam/Jack Shippers. TPTB deserve most of the blame for the wa the ship was handled.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                Good points. I stopped watching SG-1 in the middle of Season 9. I doubt I'll like the first Movie AOT. I'm still debating about buying Continuum. I think Pro Sam/Jack Shippers have gotten a bad rap over the years as well as Anti Sam/Jack Shippers. TPTB deserve most of the blame for the wa the ship was handled.
                I have no argument with any of the ship fans; they are as entitled to their views of the show as I am to mine.
                Every fan watching will want something different, some are interested in the space ships and technology, some in a particular character or paring, there is no right or wrong way to love the show.
                But, whatever you watch the program for, it should be enjoyable, that's what TV is there for. If it stresses you out, that's not fun any more.

FF
                sigpic

Comment

Sam leaving Atlantis. Spoilers?

Now, to be fair, I don't watch Atlantis, but I do hope they don't give Sam a limp, 'shippy' reason for loosing her position as commander of the city.

I was really pleased with the posting for Sam; it was about time she had a clear and unequivocal command and Atlantis should have fed her scientific mind too. Great move for the character.
                  However, I can't fault Amanda for wanting to branch out after 11 years playing the same character and Sanctuary is an opportunity she just can't ignore.

But it means Sam will be moving on from Atlantis. I'd hoped that they would leave her there, just cut back the role but it looks as though they will be moving her on.

To have her come back to our galaxy just to marry her boss is just a sad, anticlimactic end for such a bright, lively character. She wouldn't be the first woman to loose her career because of a relationship, but was hoping for better for Sam.

And both Sam and Amanda deserve a solid, believable reason for this move, one which respects the character, the fans and Amanda too.

Your thoughts?

FF
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                    Having seen the great chemistry between Carter and Mitchell it just makes the supposed S/J ship seem even more unbelievable. Where C/M have a warmth and a friendship, J/S seem cold and distant with each other, as is right I suppose given that he is her superior officer.

I agree. And with Sam/Cam you don't have the icky 'Sir' business which always reminded me of I Dream Of Jeannie 'master' nastyness.

Jack made it clear that he wasn't interested in anything scientific which is a major reason why I don't buy S/J. How can they be 'true lovers' if they don't understand each other or share any common interests?

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                      Now, to be fair, I don't watch Atlantis, but I do hope they don't give Sam a limp, 'shippy' reason for loosing her position as commander of the city.

I was really pleased with the posting for Sam; it was about time she had a clear and unequivocal command and Atlantis should have fed her scientific mind too. Great move for the character.
                      However, I can't fault Amanda for wanting to branch out after 11 years playing the same character and Sanctuary is an opportunity she just can't ignore.

But it means Sam will be moving on from Atlantis. I'd hoped that they would leave her there, just cut back the role but it looks as though they will be moving her on.

To have her come back to our galaxy just to marry her boss is just a sad, anticlimactic end for such a bright, lively character. She wouldn't be the first woman to loose her career because of a relationship, but was hoping for better for Sam.

And both Sam and Amanda deserve a solid, believable reason for this move, one which respects the character, the fans and Amanda too.

Your thoughts?

FF

Actually, I never really felt like Sam fit into Atlantis that well (although I did enjoy our most recent episode Trio). But I'm not upset about the changeover - in fact, I'm rather relieved. That being said, I do agree that I hope Sam's leaving isn't for any shippy reasons. I don't think it will be however. I'll be very surprised if that's what happens.

Originally posted by Vaniel4evah! View Post
                      Jack made it clear that he wasn't interested in anything scientific which is a major reason why I don't buy S/J. How can they be 'true lovers' if they don't understand each other or share any common interests?
                      Yeah, that was always weird for me too. These two didn't even seem to have a relationship. There was mutual attraction going on (to what extent on either side is obviously up for debate), but there was no friendship, no relationship outside of their work. It always boggled my mind that they could carry this on for how many years based on just a few looks, hugs, etc.
                      Last edited by Killdeer; 10 February 2008, 10:45 AM.
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                      sigpic

Comment

Actually, I never really felt like Sam fit into Atlantis that well (although I did enjoy our most recent episode Trio). But I'm not upset about the changeover - in fact, I'm rather relieved. That being said, I do agree that I hope Sam's leaving isn't for any shippy reasons. I don't think it will be however. I'll be very surprised if that's what happens.
                        I don't watch Atlantis, no reflection on Atlantis, I don't watch much TV at all, but I thought it was good character growth, even though I absolutely understood why Atlantis fans might not be so welcoming.
                        I'm hoping Amanda, who has her head screwed on right and knows what's best for her character, will nix any such nonsense. And that the writers have the common sense not to assassinate her character like that.

Yeah, that was always weird for me too. These two didn't even seem to have a relationship. There was mutual attraction going on (to what extent on either side is obviously up for debate), but there was no friendship, no relationship outside of their work. It always boggled my mind that they could carry this on for how many years based on just a few looks, hugs, etc.
                        Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. I'd always felt that Sam and Jack had a very strong, very convincing mentor/student relationship but romantically, it was a total damp squib, made worse by RDA not playing along with some of the romantic tosh he was given. And they seemed to know nothing about each other outside their jobs, how on earth can you have an equal, respectful, normal relationship with someone you have to treat as your superior officer? With your subordinate? Not a healthy relationship in any way shape or form.

FF
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                          I don't watch Atlantis, no reflection on Atlantis, I don't watch much TV at all, but I thought it was good character growth, even though I absolutely understood why Atlantis fans might not be so welcoming.
                          No, I understand why Sam fans would think it was good character growth. And from a real world perspective, it would have been great. But from a storytelling perspective, my personal opinion (and many disagree of course) is that it didn't work out so well.

Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. I'd always felt that Sam and Jack had a very strong, very convincing mentor/student relationship but romantically, it was a total damp squib, made worse by RDA not playing along with some of the romantic tosh he was given. And they seemed to know nothing about each other outside their jobs, how on earth can you have an equal, respectful, normal relationship with someone you have to treat as your superior officer? With your subordinate? Not a healthy relationship in any way shape or form.

FF
                          Exactly - that's what I was trying to say.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          sigpic

Comment

No, I understand why Sam fans would think it was good character growth. And from a real world perspective, it would have been great. But from a storytelling perspective, my personal opinion (and many disagree of course) is that it didn't work out so well.
                            I'm awfully fond of Sam (which is why I'm an anti Sam/Jack person, of course) and I was pleased for Amanda, but I could also understand why Atlantis fans might not be so welcoming. And even though Amanda joining and Tori leaving were unconnected, Sam has taken Weir's place and that was bound to cause friction.

FF
                            sigpic

Comment

I've been indoctrinating sharing episodes with my sister--viewing the seasons in order. When I told her people saw ship in S1 she thought they were crazy. In later seasons she said, well there might be some attraction but them as a couple didn't make sense. Now we're up to Divide and Conquer. She said "oh, good--they're going to just keep it in the room." I didn't have the heart to disillusion her.

I don't think they'll go for a shippy reason for Sam to leave Atlantis. In Trio they
                              Spoiler:
                              cut some line about "someone back home" ithat was supposed to be in there
                              . If they surprise me and do something like having Sam go back to have Jack's baby (my ultimate nightmare ) they'd really alienate a lot of viewers. Better imho to let the shippers think what they're going to think but not bring it up.

I really don't see them as making a solid couple. Particularly not after the ham handed way the writers handled things in S7 & 8. I'd give them a month max if they got together before they drove each other nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                I really don't see them as making a solid couple. Particularly not after the ham handed way the writers handled things in S7 & 8. I'd give them a month max if they got together before they drove each other nuts.
                                The thing with Jack and Sam that has always driven me crazy is that it always seemed to be more fantasy with them. They both kind of had this fantasy thing wrapped around each other, but it wasn't based on anything in cold hard reality. I saw it more on Sam's side, but I think it was there to a certain extent on Jack's side as well. I was so relieved in Grace, because I thought that maybe Sam was finally moving on. And then she didn't! And I was so annoyed!

I always figured if these two ever actually got past the fantasy and down to the reality, they'd figure out pretty quickly that this really wasn't going to work.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X