Dr Janet Fraiser/Teryl Rothery Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carterslave
    I'm not sure I understand your question but, IMO, Teryl is irreplaceable. She's a very special performer and (by all accounts) person, all of which came through on Stargate. When Janet Fraiser died, the show died a little bit too.
    I meant whether Lexa Diog can win a place at the same level as Teryl with her play or if she portray her character on a lower level.
    I think of Dr. Lams behave, her caring for other people, the showing of her authority and so on...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      It'll also be interesting to see how Sam and Dr. Lam play out together, considering Carolyn is meant to befriend Sam. Might be a good opportunity to have Sam showing a little bit of angst over Janet...
      If they go that way it wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since Janet has gone unmentioned in over a whole season. Based on experience, having Sam bond w/ New!Doc seems more like TPTB's way of saying, "See? Sam loves her; why can't you?" So far what I've seen is just Standard-Issue Doctor, but it's early yet.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
        If they go that way it wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since Janet has gone unmentioned in over a whole season. Based on experience, having Sam bond w/ New!Doc seems more like TPTB's way of saying, "See? Sam loves her; why can't you?" So far what I've seen is just Standard-Issue Doctor, but it's early yet.
        I do not want to see Sam become "buds" with the "new doc". She had a very close, very real friendship, with Janet, build over years, from trust and compassion and a common love for Cassie. The "new doc", is just a another member of the SGC. I still wish they had given her a back story, as the fact that she is NOT Air Force just doesn't fly, maybe it's too early, but the fact that her father is Gen. Landry is just cheesy. So far, her character has been stilted and very boring to watch. But then, I'm not a 15 yo male. I don't find her "hot", a really important thing for a female playing a doctor.

So I'll wait and see if she is some kind of expert in "alien" medicine. As for other remarks I've read, she does seem like the product of an inner city ER residency program, cold and unfeeling. Too bad they had her character run a very sloppy and incorrect "code blue".

Janet Frasier is irreplaceable, period.
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally Posted by Lida

I do not want to see Sam become "buds" with the "new doc". She had a very close, very real friendship, with Janet, build over years, from trust and compassion and a common love for Cassie. The "new doc", is just a another member of the SGC.
          I agree! Like Carterslave wrote, they could try to establish a friendship between Sam and the new doctor ( by the way for me Janet is the doc - no other one) in one season without any basis and this will not work I think.

Originally Posted by Carterslave

So far what I've seen is just Standard-Issue Doctor,
          Like Warner with more speaking parts?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Olli
            I agree! Like Carterslave wrote, they could try to establish a friendship between Sam and the new doctor ( by the way for me Janet is the doc - no other one) in one season without any basis and this will not work I think.

I would have preferred Dr. Warner or even the shrink Dr, MacKenzie, to this cardboard cut out of a doc. LOL (Sorry, I "borrowed" the cardboard line, I like it!)
            On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
              I would have preferred Dr. Warner or even the shrink Dr, MacKenzie, to this cardboard cut out of a doc. LOL (Sorry, I "borrowed" the cardboard line, I like it!)
              If you mean that doctor lam is a "cardboard cut out of a doc" then I agree once more.

But Warner? I do not know the name of the actor but could he fill out his character in the same way Teryl did it?

I think I may be could befriend with a new doctor if they had not killed Janet in the way they done it. For me it was not fair to the character. For me it shows... I will say disrespectful. At the most I was upset about that faked death of O'Neill and how the fans were misleaded in that episode.

So I think I can not befriend with anyone who plays the doctor with exception of Teryl.
              sigpic

Comment

I do not want to see Sam become "buds" with the "new doc". She had a very close, very real friendship, with Janet, build over years, from trust and compassion and a common love for Cassie. ... Janet Frasier is irreplaceable, period.
                Preach, sister! It can't be easy to follow in the footsteps of an icon, especially when you follow a virtuoso actress w/ one who is competent but unexceptional. But then I still regard Janet as a rightful, ongoing member of SG-1 (albeit temporarily inconvenienced by death), one whose lab coat has been temporarily usurped.
                So far what I've seen is just Standard-Issue Doctor,
                Warner could be a fuddy-duddy at times, but he has personality. The outright failure was Dr. Brightman, so subdued as to be comatose. I've read about guest stars freezing up when confronted by the chemistry of the series' regulars; the short-lived Dr. Brightman would appear to be a case in point.

Comment

I agree with you Lida, I absolutely don't care for a friendship between Sam and the new Doc. It makes me cringe just by thinking of it.

I don't see Lexa as an outstanding actress yet. Certainly she can't replace Teryl . Seeing Avalon Pt.2 it made me wonder why she didn't do some rehearsal...

Comment

gotta love that shirt teryl wears, i need one for me
                    "oh my god they killed zer0_1, you ba****ds!!"

anyway, back on subject, people saying they want janet back, well its sort of possible
                    i mean theres two ways i have right now.

1) "do a daniel" thats right, die, ascend and keep on coming back, im sure janet didnt ascend (i havent seen heroes pt2 yet, its on tommorrow) but whos to say you cant ascend on the other side?

2) "alternative timeline" like what happened to apothis in mobieus, have an alt. timeline and she can come back, albeit for a episode or 2

Comment

Originally posted by zer0_1
                      1) "do a daniel" thats right, die, ascend and keep on coming back, im sure janet didnt ascend (i havent seen heroes pt2 yet, its on tommorrow) but whos to say you cant ascend on the other side?

2) "alternative timeline" like what happened to apothis in mobieus, have an alt. timeline and she can come back, albeit for a episode or 2
                      I think with your second speculation you hit the ten. They will bring her back may be for a little story arc or just one episode and that was it.

By the way, I hear a lot about the bad ratings for Stargate-SG1, could it be possible that the Sci-Fi-Channel had invented that sci-fi-friday, that Atlantis and BSG could push the ratings for SG1 up? To prevent a crash of the ratings?
                      sigpic

Comment

gotta love that shirt teryl wears, i need one for me
                        "oh my god they killed zer0_1, you ba****ds!!"

anyway, back on subject, people saying they want janet back, well its sort of possible
                        i mean theres two ways i have right now.

No, I don't think you can ascend "on the other side", but I could be wrong.

As for alternate "realities", stay tuned and you may be in for a nice surprise, the second half of SG-1's current season.
                        On fighting:

Comment

No, I don't think you can ascend "on the other side", but I could be wrong.
                          really? i didnt hear anywhere saying you couldnt ascend after death,

Comment

really? i didnt hear anywhere saying you couldnt ascend after death,
                            Well, I haven't read or heard anywhere that you can. I do know, when those that DO ascend, they leave their bodies ( and clothes) and "ascend" in a glowing ball of light. If that had occurred with Janet, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now, but you never know.
                            On fighting:

Comment

Knowing the newest rumours I think that character will not come back by ascending.
                              sigpic

Comment

Knowing the newest rumours I think that character will not come back by ascending.
                                Which rumors are those? I'm out of the loop, as usual.
                                My CPU died last night, probably for good, taking hundreds upon hundreds of Teryl, Torri & Amanda piccies w/ it.
                                I am disconsolate.

Comment

Working...
                                X