No announcement yet.

Jonas Quinn/Corin Nemec Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ res - TPTB really, royally suck!! I decide whom I like for myself... and wont let them affect me... *******s...

I never thought of Jonas as acoward (I'm talking about Meridian). Actually what he did was very corageous. He put everything in the line!! That is not only corageous, but heroic as well.

I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
      Been holding off until you finished your essays. Honest.

Actually, if you have finished your essays then you can help me make a choice. But only if you've been good.
      I haven't, god damn it! I have sudden spurts, but unfortunately I am only really motivated by extreme pressure- on the day, for example...
      Although now I'm curious...

Re Anuna: Even if you only find out that one of your popular leads is leaving too late to set up another character, then you can at the very least not give them obvious ammunition. Unfortunately people wanted to hate him, and so they weren't sensible enough to put themselves in his place and realise that they too, shock horror, might not known what to do (and remember
      also that he was condemned in there with Daniel-its anyone's a murderer, its the official who did that) and been torn between strangers and everything that they have ever known. And that they probably would not have been prepared to face those people walking through the gate. TPTB did not handle it well-and they then didn't improve matters by thinking that if you're only running for one more season, its not worth building him up as a character that much. I'd be interested to know when they chucked the SGA idea-in those first few eps he seemed perfect for it- probably as a knee-jerk reaction to the spewed hatred that his character received- which was in part their fault anyway for having mishandled him in the short-term and Daniel in the long-term. At least CN and a few writers were happy to give us Jonas, and for that we can be grateful.
      Whoa. Ranting over. Not that I'm bitter or anything...
      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

I heard today, form one of Jonas haters I know, that CN didn't go to proper audition to get the part of Jonas.

Anyhow I simply love how he handeled Jonas. He was adorable. And that's coming from someone who is a Daniel fan from day one. Jonas is love!!

Comment

I don't know how people can hate Jonas, I love Daniel AND Jonas!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
            I heard today, form one of Jonas haters I know, that CN didn't go to proper audition to get the part of Jonas.

Anyhow I simply love how he handeled Jonas. He was adorable. And that's coming from someone who is a Daniel fan from day one. Jonas is love!!
            Because of course RDA stood in line to audition...sheesh. If they think someone is right for a part, they get them to read, see if it goes well, if it does, they cast them. And if they don't like it, then they don't come back or, in some cases-like the actress who was originally cast for Inara in 'Firefly', who was 'uncast' by the end of the first day-they know within about ten minutes of camera roll that its not right, and they cast again. Its how the business works. If you're known to be good, either by a producer or a studio exec, whether it be personally or by name- and Corin has amassed a lot of good, varied work in TV and film, (some of which was sci-fi) including a big mini-series ('The Stand') and 'Parker Lewis', which was popular and almost cultish-then you might get into discussion more quickly and skip the general auditions. They needed someone who could do comedy, drama, action and was experienced enough to deal with that kind of show and also the current situation. Corin fitted the bill, and if he hadn't, you wouldn't have seen him after 'Meridian'. You tell the Jonas-hater that, possibly with 'ner, ner!' sounds to further your point

I can see why people can dislike a character, even hate them- because of our own personalities and experiences we don't like certain characteristics, and a character wouldn't be well-rounded and normal unless they sometimes got on your nerves (I've been annoyed by all of the team before, and I think its a good thing). But myopic, petty, selfish hatred? Urgh. Scary thing is, they get all up on their high horse and say terrible, hurtful things about an actor and think they're great- when really they are shaming themselves. Because in those cases, its not about the character, the actor, or even the show- its all about them. And there's not much to recommend there.
            And I love Daniel and Jonas both
            Last edited by resurgamlaura; 18 March 2007, 02:11 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you for explaining how it all happened!! Good night, and dream of ELBOWS

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
                I haven't, god damn it! I have sudden spurts, but unfortunately I am only really motivated by extreme pressure- on the day, for example...
                Although now I'm curious...
                Hmm, I dunno. I'll think about it...

Originally posted by Anuna View Post

No Corin didn't have to audition, but that's because he is a fairly well known name in the industry (apparently he was at MGM to talk about a different project). They discussed the idea with him, and used Meridian as a trail run to see if he worked well with everyone.
                If not having to audition is a reason to hate him, then all you can do is shrug to that.

Edit: Res got there first.

Comment

I'm going to try and stop ranting. Try
                  So cute:

sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I dunno. I'll think about it...

No Corin didn't have to audition, but that's because he is a fairly well known name in the industry (apparently he was at MGM to talk about a different project). They discussed the idea with him, and used Meridian as a trail run to see if he worked well with everyone.
                    If not having to audition is a reason to hate him, then all you can do is shrug to that.

Edit: Res got there first.
                    Ooh, go on

I've gone and ranted on this. I suggest that Anuna carefully and slowly explains to this person how the industry actually works, and why this is beneficial in some ways. And then running away very fast
                    I'm in a ranty kind of mood, unfortunately

And goodnight to Anuna. Sadly, Jonas' many assets do not go well with Aeschylus-related panic...
                    sigpic

Comment

Ooh, go on

I've gone and ranted on this. I suggest that Anuna carefully and slowly explains to this person how the industry actually works, and why this is beneficial in some ways. And then running away very fast
                      I'm in a ranty kind of mood, unfortunately
                      Funny thing is, I'm sure they would have no problem if their favourite actor got to that stage. In fact, I'm sure they'd have no problem if they themselves were offered a job without an interview.

Will try and formulate a PM that makes sense. It is fic-related.

Comment

Funny thing is, I'm sure they would have no problem if their favourite actor got to that stage. In fact, I'm sure they'd have no problem if they themselves were offered a job without an interview.

Will try and formulate a PM that makes sense. It is fic-related.
                        People will twist things. Its particularly frustrating in fandom- because they is nothing you can do to show them not only is it silly, but hypocritical.
                        Its not the first time its happened with Corin. He was approached by the 'Parker Lewis' producers because they'd seen him in another role which they thought linked up well with Parker's character. Of course, having an Emmy-nominated young actor on board must have been a plus... He's known, he's experienced, he's good. It would have taken weeks of auditions to get Jonas otherwise, and the choice would have been agonising. CN gets in, keeps his head down, and does a damn good job. That's exactly what the character and show needed, and they thought he could deliver.
                        sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

More random thunking:

sigpic

Comment

People will twist things. Its particularly frustrating in fandom- because they is nothing you can do to show them not only is it silly, but hypocritical.
                              Its not the first time its happened with Corin. He was approached by the 'Parker Lewis' producers because they'd seen him in another role which they thought linked up well with Parker's character. Of course, having an Emmy-nominated young actor on board must have been a plus... He's known, he's experienced, he's good. It would have taken weeks of auditions to get Jonas otherwise, and the choice would have been agonising. CN gets in, keeps his head down, and does a damn good job. That's exactly what the character and show needed, and they thought he could deliver.
                              Sometimes, and I hope I'm not being too harsh, it's simply a lack of experience with the real world.
                              Yes, Parker Lewis came from What's Alan Watching, and What's Alan Watching came from ...Steven. If you're good, and you work well with other people then you get more work.
                              I expect Jonas wouldn't have been half as interesting with someone less experienced. Given the lack of writing for the character for most of the season, Jonas needed someone who knew how to create a character and keep him alive.

Comment

Sometimes, and I hope I'm not being too harsh, it's simply a lack of experience with the real world.
                                Yes, Parker Lewis came from What's Alan Watching, and What's Alan Watching came from ...Steven. If you're good, and you work well with other people then you get more work.
                                I expect Jonas wouldn't have been half as interesting with someone less experienced. Given the lack of writing for the character for most of the season, Jonas needed someone who knew how to create a character and keep him alive.
                                I suspect you're right As someone who tries to write scripts, I am very realistic about what happens in the business I would like to get into, because I need to be. Its remarkable how many people can't see it for what it really is-both negative and positive aspects.
                                CN must have been like tick boxes- comedy (straight guy and quirky); drama; action; has worked with firearms; worked with a variety of people and directors, including some big names on 'Tucker'; been the lead in a popular show; and is of course highly photogenic
                                What he did in 'Shadow Play' was fantastic- there were nuggets there in the script to play with (and the direction, lighting, etc did help here- some interesting decisions made) and he just layered it all up. If you want to know where he was going with Jonas, that is a good ep for it- because its a glimpse into the real Jonas, through the presentation of the 'ideal' Jonas that the professor sees (who is of course still a bit 'real', because its based on experience) and the 'ideal' Jonas who is on the team trying to fit in. And when you're played people who are unknown elements, who are morally ambigious, when you're gone from one different genre to the next, that kind of experience really helps.
                                Last edited by resurgamlaura; 18 March 2007, 03:05 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X