No announcement yet.

Tok'ra Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hathor_girl asked..."Skadi - why do you have the title "Blitzen"`? What is that? "

'Blitzen' in Danish is 'The Blitz', which is the German strategic bombing of Britain on 1940/1941. That is the only thing this means to me, but it is also almost certainly wrong.

'Cupid' is the Roman god of erotic love/desire, and the son of Venus.

No guesses on 'King Moonraker', but I agree with you that Gateworld is probably having a theme of some kind.
    Last edited by Skadi; 26 December 2011, 09:04 AM. Reason: Text in post disappeared after posting - second time for me today. This is getting VERY annoying.
    sigpic
    Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

The theme weekend was Christmas. I have no idea what "King Moonraker" was about, but in the English-language version of the story "The Night Before Christmas", Santa's reindeer are named Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

In other news, I just published the newest chapter of All That We Leave Behind -- "A Higher Calling". Click the links in my signature below to be taken to the story.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          The theme weekend was Christmas. I have no idea what "King Moonraker" was about, but in the English-language version of the story "The Night Before Christmas", Santa's reindeer are named Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen.
          Thanks for that! It was really confusing me! Well, I also have no idea what "The Night Before Christmas" is, but I am guessing it's a Christmas story (traditional?) and that's enough of an explanation I have never heard any names for Santa's reindeers except for Rudolf

And I'm off to read next chapter in your fic...
          sigpic

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Lol, you never heard the other raindeer names before? Tho of us who grew up in the U.S. probably had them memorized since we were 5. (Sigh and its sad how many at age 55 don't know the 50 states...)

"Blizten" in German means "lightning" and Donner "thunder". "Donar" is German for Thor hence Thursday is called Donnerstag meaning Thor' Day which is the same root the English word. Thunder and Donner both come from Thor becuase he was the "God of thunder" right? Am I think only one thinking of santa's sleigh being draw by Asgard now??? Hehhe

Comment

sigpic

Comment

*sigh* everything I wrote disappeared again. Third time this week. I don't know if I can remember what I wrote, or if I have the energy to rewrite it. It is very late here (4 am - have been cleaning)

Anyway...

Hi, nebulan!

LOL at the idea of Asgard pulling Santa's sleigh!

The names of the reindeer come from a poem (I checked), which I believe is pretty much unknown in Denmark. Santa's reindeer doesn't have names in Danish tradition, nor are there very much tradition about Santa and his sleigh drawn by reindeer.
                sigpic

Comment

I think the error comes when I try to do 'reply', or include something in quote, so now I will avoid doing that

As for many of the day's being named for Norse gods...yes, as a Dane I couldn't avoid learning that

Anyway...I think this is the meaning of the days?

Danish - English - meaning
                  Manday - Monday - the moon's day
                  Tirsdag - Tuesday - Tyr's day (Tyr is one of the Norse gods of war - the main one)
                  Onsdag - Wednesday - Odin's day (Wednesday may be from Wotan, which is another name for Odin)
                  Torsdag - Thursday - Tor's day (Tor = our spelling of Thor)
                  Fredag - Friday - Freya's day or Frigg's day (Freya = goddess of love and fertility, Frigg = goddess of the home and Thor's wife)
                  Lørdag - Saturday - day of washing/cleaning, as it comes from laugar dag and laugar is an old Nordic word for washing. I think Saturday are named for the Roman god Saturn?
                  Søndag - Sunday - the Sun's day
                  sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post

HAPPY TOK'RA NEW YEAR!

Let's hope for a new Stargate movie - and with lots of Tok'ra in it. And a Tok'ra queen!

Yeah!
                      sigpic Avatar, and icons in sig by Luciana

Favorite love-dodecagon:
                      (See http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=2238)
                      Lantash/Jolinar/Martouf/Sam/Thor/Jack/Kanan/Tea'lc/Junior/Freya/Daniel/Anise

Comment

Happy New Year to all the Tok'ra............ fans out there.

Comment

Happy New Year to you all - to all Tok'ra and others!
                          sigpic
                          button and banner made by Luciana SAVE MARTOUF/LANTASH!

Comment

sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Another empty post! Anyone knows why these happens?

Anyway, I was just wishing you all a belated Happy New Year!
                              sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Found two new fics:

Trapped
                                AU missing scene/tag from Summit/Last Stand. During Zipacna's attack on Revanna, Sam is trapped in the tunnels with Martouf/Lantash. Sam/Martouf/Lantash
                                Rating: PG-13
                                Category: Romance/Hurt/Comfort
                                Words: 3,323

Visiting the World of the Tau'ri
                                Martouf/Lantash arrives on Earth, having been given the mission to learn more about the Tau'ri. Sam gets the job of showing him a little of the planet, and how some of the Tau'ri live. Sam/Martouf/Lantash
                                Rating: PG-13
                                Category: Romance
                                Words: 7,032
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X