Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
    Some time I plan to do a "best Daniel ep" poll. Anyone want to narrow it down to a few? And by 'a few' I mean anything from 20 to 100, I'm not bothered, cos if it's a lot I can do 'heats'.

We could possibly have heats in 'topics': Hero Daniel; Daniel Character Development; Daniel In Peril...

What does everyone think?
    I'm all for it! And I think it would be fun to split it into categories. Then you don't feel so bad, either, for leaving some episodes out. lol
    thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Hero Daniel: Meridian, Prometheous Unbound, Reckoning--so not a Daniel episode, but he was still a hero! , Enemy Mine

Scholar/Explorer Daniel: The First Ones--okay, he was kidnapped by a giant lizard and he's still taking notes!

Loopy Daniel: Legacy!!!!

Daniel in Peril:
      Meridian, The First Ones, Evolution, Reckoning, The Serpent's Lair, The Crystal Skull--I don't know if he was ever in PERIL, but I just had to get this episode in somewhere

Daniel w/friends: The Other Side, Enemy Mine, Need
      thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
        As far as I'm concerned the ultimate Daniel In Peril ep is The First Ones! I still think that if Jack & Co. had not shown up at the very last moment and momentarily distracted Chaka's rival, the leader of the pack and his cohorts would have succeeded in making a tasty meal of our boy.
        The same is true of 'Evolution,' in that respect, unless you thought that rock was going to do him as much good as Jack did.

Actually, 'Evolution' and 'Reckoning' could probably be broken down into their two parts to better fit the categories.

'Evolution 1' features Scholar/Explorer Daniel, while 'Evolution 2' gives you Daniel In Peril.

'Reckoning 1,' meanwhile, is pretty much full-on
        Spoiler:
        Daniel In Peril
        while it's in 'Reckoning 2' that we get our
        Spoiler:
        Big Damn Hero.

And I'm still politicking for a Best Death ep. Which IMHO would be in The Serpent's Lair because it was the only time I didn't see it coming from twenty miles away.
        Anything that gets the Spacemonkey episode into the running works for me.

TC

Comment

Okay, does the episode have to stand out as a "Daniel" episode? Because a lot of times in the early seasons, there were some definite Daniel subplots that could fit the categories, but the episodes were more team episodes.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Captain-Peregrine
            Crystal Skull--I don't know if he was ever in PERIL, but I just had to get this episode in somewhere.
            It’s hard to think of Daniel as “in peril” when he carries on through so much of the episode like some kind of one-man Greek chorus (with an attitude).

But the concern shown for him is perfectly befitting a Daniel In Peril story. That Daniel is lost and needs to be found is the primary concern of every other character in the episode; even Hammond’s granddaughters take a back seat to Daniel’s predicament.

And the Daniel pleading with Nick to believe his eyes, and believe in him, is a man very much afraid he might never get “home.” And he wouldn’t have, without help. This was one mess Daniel was not going to get out of on his own.

Has 'Past & Present' been mentioned yet? I'm tempted to file it under "Daniel In Peril" but it's probably more of a "Character Growth/Development" outing.

Originally posted by Dani347
            Okay, does the episode have to stand out as a "Daniel" episode? Because a lot of times in the early seasons, there were some definite Daniel subplots that could fit the categories, but the episodes were more team episodes.
            Yeah, episodes like 'The Gamekeeper,' 'Serpent's Song' and 'Thor's Hammer' feel like they need their due.

TC

Comment

I was planning on putting any ep where Daniel has a significant part; Thor's Hammer could go in as Scholar Daniel, but I wasn't planning on including Desperate Measures or Matter of Time.

I haven't had time to make any lists; if anyone wants to start off then go ahead... otherwise I'll have a stab at it some time next week.

Madeleine

Comment

I haven't had time to make any lists; if anyone wants to start off then go ahead... otherwise I'll have a stab at it some time next week.
                Because:

a) My flight doesn't leave for another eight hours and if I repack my bag one more time somebody's eyes will roll so far back in their head they'll be stuck that way forever;

b) I won't be able to contribute anything more to the preparations here for the next two weeks; and,

c) I could actually get in here (*grumble* database errors *grumble* *grumble*), I'll see what I can do to give us a start.

Hero Daniel

There But For The Grace Of God
                Serpent’s Lair
                Enigma
                Scorched Earth
                Beast Of Burden
                Meridian
                Enemy Mine
                Icon
                Prometheus Unbound (see 'Daniel In Peril')
                Reckoning, Pt. 2
                Moebius Pt. 2

Scholar/Explorer Daniel

Children Of The Gods, Pt. 2
                The Torment of Tantalus
                Thor’s Hammer
                Thor’s Chariot
                Learning Curve
                One False Step
                Maternal Instinct (see 'Character Growth/Development')
                Window Of Opportunity
                Serpent’s Venom
                The Curse
                The Tomb
                Menace
                Evolution, Pt. 1
                Resurrection
                The Lost City

Character Growth/Development

Children Of The Gods, Pt. 1
                The Gamekeeper
                Secrets
                Forever In A Day
                Past & Present
                Maternal Instinct (see 'Scholar/Explorer Daniel')
                Serpent’s Song
                Full Circle
                Fallen
                Orpheus (see 'Daniel & Friends' )
                Heroes
                Threads

Daniel In Peril

Fire & Water
                Crystal Skull
                The First Ones
                Evolution, Pt. 2
                Chimera
                Affinity
                Prometheus Unbound (see 'Hero Daniel' )
                Reckoning, Pt. 1

Loopy Daniel (or ‘Daniel’s Not Himself Today’)

Need
                Holiday
                Legacy
                Urgo
                Beneath The Surface
                Absolute Power
                The Light
                Lifeboat
                Lockdown
                Moebius, Pt. 1

Daniel & Friends

Cor-Ai
                The Fifth Race
                Shades Of Grey
                Small Victories
                Abyss
                The Changeling
                Orpheus (see 'Character Growth/Development' )

A Few Stray Episodes I Couldn't Classify

Hathor
                Pretense
                New Ground
                The Other Side
                Summit
                Last Stand
                Endgame
                Full Alert
                Are we including the movie in this?

There. Add, subtract, re-think, revise, re-order, rearrange and otherwise tweak away.

Struck by the embarrassment of riches we have in Daniel episodes,
                TC

Comment

Here's my guess....

A Few Stray Episodes I Couldn't Classify

Hathor - Loopy
                  Pretense - Friends
                  New Ground - Peril
                  The Other Side - Character
                  Summit - Hero
                  Last Stand - Hero
                  Endgame - Hero
                  Full Alert - Hero
                  No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Reckoning could go in several categories. And while I wouldn't call it a "Daniel Episode" since it's very team-balanced, I think we can include it in the voting for the Best Daniel Episode.

So: Categories...

Hero Daniel
                    Scholar/Explorer Daniel
                    Loopy Daniel
                    Daniel in Peril
                    Daniel & Jack - or Daniel & Colleagues? I lean toward the latter

Can anyone think of others we should have; or any of the above that could be bettered? And if anyone wants to list eps that might fall into particular characters I'd be very grateful
                    This is what I've got, including a couple lists of my own (sorry if many of these are repeats - wanted to get this written before getting set by reading the posts of others. Hope I'm not too late...):
                    • Principled Daniel - Children of the Gods, Fire and Water, Touchstone, Learning Curve, Demons, Past and Present, Maternal Instinct, The Other Side, The First Ones, Scorched Earth, The Curse, Chain Reaction, Red Sky, Beast of Burden, 48 Hours, Menace, Meridian, Full Circle, Enemy Mine, Fallout, Resurrection

• "Student of Great Wisdom" Daniel (which includes, not coincidentally, many of my personal favorites) - The Nox, Secrets, Forever in a Day, Maternal Instinct, Absolute Power, Meridian, Full Circle

• Hero Daniel (where Daniel's behavior is heroic) - Meridian comes immediately to mind. Also Children of the Gods, Thor's Hammer, Fire and Water, The Serpent's Lair, Secrets, Show and Tell (I think - wasn't he the one who jumped in front of the good Ree'tou?), Forever in a Day, The Devil You Know, New Ground, Scorched Earth, The Curse, Enemies, Summit, Last Stand, Menace, Full Circle, Evolution

• Hero Daniel (where Daniel saves the day, not necessarily through heroics) - Enigma, Solitudes, There But For the Grace of God, Within the Serpent's Grasp, Thor's Chariot, Spirits(? not sure about this one, don't remember it well enough), Fair Game, Past and Present, Pretense, Maternal Instinct, Watergate, Beast of Burden, Menace, The Sentinel, Abyss (if you believe that), The Changeling, Orpheus, Enemy Mine, Chimera

• Scholar/Explorer Daniel - Emancipation, The Torment of Tantalus, Fire and Water, Tin Man, Thor's Chariot, One False Step, Maternal Instinct, Crystal Skull, Watergate, The First Ones, The Curse, The Serpent's Venom, Absolute Power, The Tomb, 2001, The Sentinel, Full Circle, Revisions, Chimera

• Loopy Daniel - The Broca Divide, Hathor, Need, Holiday (sort of qualifies), 1969 (I count that German accent as loopy...), Legacy, Upgrades, Absolute Power, The Light, Fallen, Lifeboat (sort of qualifies), Lost City Part 1

• Daniel Angst (replaces "Daniel in Peril," since several, like "The Gamekeeper," don't exactly qualify as "Daniel in Peril") - Hathor, There But for the Grace of God, The Serpent's Lair, The Gamekeeper, Secrets, Into the Fire, Forever in a Day, Past and Present, Maternal Instinct, Crystal Skull, The Other Side, The First Ones, The Curse, Absolute Power, The Light, Beast of Burden, Summit, Last Stand, Menace, Meridian, Full Circle, Fallen, Evolution, Chimera, Heroes

And... I kind of want to separate out all of the important Daniel/other main characters interactions. There's a whole different dynamic between Daniel and Jack than there is between Daniel and Sam, and both are very different than Daniel and Teal'c. So...
                    • Daniel and Jack - Children of the Gods, Brief Candle, The Torment of Tantalus, Prisoners, The Fifth Race, Deadman Switch, Forever in a Day, Past and Present, A Hundred Days, Shades of Grey, Maternal Instinct, Nemesis, Small Victories, Divide and Conquer, The Other Side, The First Ones, Scorched Earth, The Light, Beast of Burden, Menace, Meridian, Abyss, Full Circle, Fallen, Orpheus, Lifeboat, Enemy Mine, Birthright, Evolution, Lost City

• Daniel and Sam - Children of the Gods, The Broca Divide, Singularity, The Gamekeeper, Need, Upgrades, The Curse, Meridian, Full Circle (notable for its lack thereof), Fallen, Orpheus

• Daniel and Teal'c - Cor'ai, Forever in a Day, Crossroads, Exodus, Threshold, 48 Hours, Meridian, The Changeling, Fallen, Orpheus

That's about all I can come up with... Only up through S7, of course...

Great idea, Madeleine
                    Last edited by Katerine; 29 April 2005, 05:31 PM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Okay, I thought maybe you people might be interested in this... (also posted in the Music Videos thread):

I just finished a Daniel vid a little while ago.

It's about Daniel ascending, coming back, yadda, yadda...

WARNING: Has scenes from Reckoning Part 1, Reckoning Part 2, and Threads.

Song: Tear by Smashing Pumpkins
                      6:00; 31.6 mbs; MPEG format
                      (E-mail me if you want a smaller file)

Feedback is always loved!

Link is to page where vid is located.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker Case
                        Struck by the embarrassment of riches we have in Daniel episodes,
                        TC
                        <G> Never be embarrassed over delightful gifts of perfection....
                        Deej
                        Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Those are great lists, thanks guys!!

I'll turn them into a poll some time soon when I'm not getting ready to go out and see Alexis Denisof, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Katee Sachoff, Jamie Bamber, Corin Nemec and some Daleks

Madeleine

Comment

Those are great lists, thanks guys!!

I'll turn them into a poll some time soon when I'm not getting ready to go out and see Alexis Denisof, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Katee Sachoff, Jamie Bamber, Corin Nemec and some Daleks
                            Hmm? Alexis Denisof? Where?

Comment

Milton Keynes, in the main Shopping Centre in the middle of the town.

http://www.collectormania.com

If you can go (okay you're in Canada, but anyone else...) go tomorrow. AD and Anthony Stewart Head will both be there and they're doing a Talk. James marsters is there Monday I think.

Madeleine

Comment

Milton Keynes, in the main Shopping Centre in the middle of the town.

http://www.collectormania.com

If you can go (okay you're in Canada, but anyone else...) go tomorrow. AD and Anthony Stewart Head will both be there and they're doing a Talk. James marsters is there Monday I think.
                                Lucky you!

*is jealous*

Hey, anyone watch my vid yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X