Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
    Welcome Ktebid! The tread is alive again! Maybe we could keep it going with some questions...

What is your favorite Daniel episode? I usually have categories for my favorite episodes... There are too many to choose from!

My favorite Daniel episode, pre-Ascension is The First Ones.
    My favorite Ascended Daniel episode is Abyss (also my favorite Jack episode).
    My favorte post-Ascended Daniel episode is Life Boat.
    Hi...does your name get shortened to anything

I would have to go through the episodes again, but I would agree that those three - The First ones, Abyss and LIfe boat are fantastic episodes for Daniel.

I love the way he progressed through the seasons, especially the difference after he retook human form.

Sigs by the lovely CSOM, Sonja and from the Tokrafans community on LJ.

Comment

Originally posted by ktebid View Post
      Hi...does your name get shortened to anything

I would have to go through the episodes again, but I would agree that those three - The First ones, Abyss and LIfe boat are fantastic episodes for Daniel.

I love the way he progressed through the seasons, especially the difference after he retook human form.
      It shortens to JASA. I agree about the progression of his character in the later seasons.

Comment

It shortens to JASA. I agree about the progression of his character in the later seasons.
        guess that makes sense.

I'm currently watching S10, what do you think of his relationship with Vala. I noticed in many of the episodes where there was a girl, she was attracted to him, and yet it almost isn't until Vala that we see some sort of reaction (maybe Sarah/Osiris a little).

Comment

guess that makes sense.

I'm currently watching S10, what do you think of his relationship with Vala. I noticed in many of the episodes where there was a girl, she was attracted to him, and yet it almost isn't until Vala that we see some sort of reaction (maybe Sarah/Osiris a little).
          I don't like the D/V ship. They just don't mesh well for me. (I have an obscure Daniel ship.) And it's not just because I ship him with someone else. I just think that the ship was kind of forced on us. In my opinion, other ships on the show (if you choose to see them) can be argued that they came into the show at a more natural pace. I felt that D/V was forced and surprising.

However, I could see at that time that Daniel could be in a relationship. He moved past the pain of Sha're, and was able to be with someone. I just wish it wasn't Vala. This is totally my opinion, though.

Comment

I don't like the D/V ship. They just don't mesh well for me. (I have an obscure Daniel ship.) And it's not just because I ship him with someone else. I just think that the ship was kind of forced on us. In my opinion, other ships on the show (if you choose to see them) can be argued that they came into the show at a more natural pace. I felt that D/V was forced and surprising.

However, I could see at that time that Daniel could be in a relationship. He moved past the pain of Sha're, and was able to be with someone. I just wish it wasn't Vala. This is totally my opinion, though.
            I'm similar, (though I struggle to see any ships on the show) I can sort of understand the relationship up until Unending. I wonder why we see D/V together, and yet nothing is indicated of the others...did they really spend 50yrs without any physical relationship...I didn't want to see the details, but why did we get D/V details. We suddenly went from Daniel barely tolerating her, to him being very understanding and emotionally affected by her.

Comment

I disliked the heavy-handedness that ALL the writers on SG-1 brought to any kind ship during the 10 seasons....I blame them, not the actors, for my dislike.....I enjoyed much of the Daniel/Vala interaction when it was subtle, which sadly, thanks to the ideas held by the mainly male writing core on how romance and UST should play out, was rather few and far between.....

I will have to get back to you on some of my favourite Daniel scenes, pre, during and post Ascension...but I will say that "Abyss" is probably my favourite Ascended!Daniel episode...the scenes between him and Jack were unbelievably good (kudos to MS and RDA for such amazing work and chemistry in that small room btw) and both characters really made me feel for their respective dilemmas....."The Changeling" was also good, but obviously it was mainly Teal'c's storyline...however Daniel gets really big brownie points for looking so unbelievably hot and handsome in this one!...

Nice to see this thread up and running again btw....

Deeds xx
              sigpic
              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                I disliked the heavy-handedness that ALL the writers on SG-1 brought to any kind ship during the 10 seasons....I blame them, not the actors, for my dislike.....I enjoyed much of the Daniel/Vala interaction when it was subtle, which sadly, thanks to the ideas held by the mainly male writing core on how romance and UST should play out, was rather few and far between.....

I will have to get back to you on some of my favourite Daniel scenes, pre, during and post Ascension...but I will say that "Abyss" is probably my favourite Ascended!Daniel episode...the scenes between him and Jack were unbelievably good (kudos to MS and RDA for such amazing work and chemistry in that small room btw) and both characters really made me feel for their respective dilemmas....."The Changeling" was also good, but obviously it was mainly Teal'c's storyline...however Daniel gets really big brownie points for looking so unbelievably hot and handsome in this one!...

Nice to see this thread up and running again btw....

Deeds xx

Romance was so not those writers forté. Friendships? Oh yes, full of teamy goodness. Action/adventure? Great, they pulled off a smashing ensemble show for a decade. SF conceptes and themes? Cool, even if they did forget their roots (too many spaceships, not enough gate) in later years. Their sad attempts at a convincing romance? Let's not go there.

The Changeling was the first episode of SG1 I watched as opposed to just casually skimming, I thought it was very well written and shot. And, yes, MS looks very, very hot.
                Abyss was a bottle show (two actors, one set, one great script, B5 and DS9 also did fabulous ones) and was the best of SG1 for me, it all came together to give us a really great episode.

FF also happy to see this thread back
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                  Deeds xx
                  Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                  Romance was so not those writers forté. Friendships? Oh yes, full of teamy goodness. Action/adventure? Great, they pulled off a smashing ensemble show for a decade. SF conceptes and themes? Cool, even if they did forget their roots (too many spaceships, not enough gate) in later years. Their sad attempts at a convincing romance? Let's not go there.
                  FF also happy to see this thread back
                  ITA. They wrote great friendships, and team banter. I can totally understand the find an alien chic/guy and have a one episode relationship romance, but, and perhaps it is just as well that they didn't really incorporate it into the writing, romance between the main charactors just didn't make sense.

And I don't think it would have worked for SGA either. Can't comment on SGU we don't get it down here.

Comment

Well, I found the D/V romance was unnecessary. Also, if it had played out over many episodes (being a resolved relationship) I would have felt it diminished the character of Daniel. It was, IMHO, very OOC for him to be with Vala.

Comment

ITA. They wrote great friendships, and team banter. I can totally understand the find an alien chic/guy and have a one episode relationship romance, but, and perhaps it is just as well that they didn't really incorporate it into the writing, romance between the main charactors just didn't make sense.

And I don't think it would have worked for SGA either. Can't comment on SGU we don't get it down here.
                      I agree, they can not write good convincing romance to save there lives! The first episode where we meet Vala (Prometheus unbound), I thought that there really would be something between her and Daniel but then watching the rest of the season I was bitterly disappointed. There was only a few good Daniel/Vala episodes but the best being "Unending" where they do get together but then all of that is undone
                      sigpic
                      â—˜Fanfictionâ—˜Youtubeâ—˜

Comment

Originally posted by spider.man View Post
                        I agree, they can not write good convincing romance to save there lives! The first episode where we meet Vala (Prometheus unbound), I thought that there really would be something between her and Daniel but then watching the rest of the season I was bitterly disappointed. There was only a few good Daniel/Vala episodes but the best being "Unending" where they do get together but then all of that is undone
                        I didn't mind the antagonistic relationship, the snarky comments and the like, because there were the times you could see that he cared for her as a friend and colleague, but I think it takes a very skilled writer to have a major and a recurring character had a successful romance, and the writers on SG had their talents in other areas.

Comment

I'm rewatching s9 and I like the Daniel/Vala chemistry there. It's interesting the way he doesn't let her lie to him (he never let people believe they managed to lie to him) and the effect he has on her. But later on s10, when they try to pass sth romantic, it just doesn't feel right.
                          Daniel is my favourite TV character ever, and Vala isn't good enough for him
                          sigpic

Comment

I think that Daniel would be great with Samantha, I mean, The chemistry has always been there... has anybody got some good Sam/Daniel episodes I can watch??
                            sigpic
                            â—˜Fanfictionâ—˜Youtubeâ—˜

Comment

Love the discussion I love the D&V ship to those who don't please don't be too negative we can agree to disagree and please keep it civil in regards to Vala please

My favorite Daniel ep is Crystal Skull we got back story and some great Daniel moments another fav of mine was Torment of Tantulas from the later seasons I really liked The Powers That Be for Daniel and Pegasus Project besides the D&V banter it was Daniel in his passionate best

I will just say Vala brought passion back into Daniel for me passion he hadn't had since Sha're. When I was watching the DVDS he didn't have that spark with any other female Sarah included Sam and Daniel were best friends to me not the same thing I also have always thought Jack and him had a good friendship their banter reminds me of my guy friends.
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Well I'm a complete NOROMO where it comes to the series and episodes (although y'all know my fanfic predilections....)....so my favourite Daniel episodes are ones that encompass very little "ship" and lots of teamy action....

I too LOVE the Crystal Skull for the backstory and the wonderful acting by Michael Shanks and Jan Rubes...it also has some great Teal'c/Jack moments in the infirmary and of course is where the "Napoleonic Power-Monger" quote came from, beloved by many of my favourite fanfic writers...

I also adore Absolute Power for the chance to get into the mind of Evil!Daniel and he looks so darn good in that episode....again powerful team stuff, but for all the wrong reasons, as Daniel slowly and surely destroys all of SG-1....

My favourite Ascended!Daniel episode is most definitely Abyss.....because it brought out probably the greatest "two-hander" scene in the series' history - RDA and MS on that small set, acting out those powerful words and feelings = simply magic!....they BOTH should have won awards for that....

I do enjoy the latter 2 seasons' Daniel, but I just wish that there could have been slightly more teamy stuff with Sam and Teal'c.....as much as it was nice to have the two new characters I did feel that the closeness of the Original SG-1 was slightly sacrificed to help Cam and Vala integrate fully.....however I can understand TPTB's reasons for it, just don't expect me to agree with all of them!...

Early season Daniel - lots to choose from there......Torment, Fifth Race (his support of Jack), Need and Secrets (probably the most romantic and sad episode after FIAD and the one relationship - Daniel/Shau're - that I do think was written well) are probably the ones that spring immediately to mind...

And finally the best romp of all - 1969 - now THAT was teamwork!!!.....I love this episode and will watch it again, and again, and again....

Deeds xx
                                Last edited by discodiva; 30 June 2010, 08:44 AM.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                                MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Working...
                                X