Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
    Very cool indeed. And I love how Daniel is just slightly annoying to her in her head...adds a whole layer of realism to their relationship. In fact, I like all the not-Daniels we see in the series, and how they enhance our idea of canon-Daniel. The one in Moebius, for instance, is a favorite of mine, and the various "dark sides" of Daniel under sarcophagus or harcesis influences are fascinating.
    Yeah, Sam did find Daniel to be a little annoying "This is helping??" Nice touch of realism even when's he's a hallucination.

Oh yes, I adored Moebius Daniel as well, and how he and Sam worked together to figure out where the stargate was located. Though since my Stargate viewing has been completely out of order, it wasn't until I finally saw Solitudes that I realized the seismic activity method they use to find the stargate was a sort of call-back to what Daniel did in Solitudes to find the second gate.

The darker Daniel in Absolute Power was also quite interesting, since even though the harcesis influence led him to do terrible things, I think at the core of it his intentions were still to do good, protect Earth from the Goa'uld. And I think Shifu helped Daniel to see that the ends may not always justify the means, and that the path to defeat the Goa'uld did not run through the information he could provide because of the evil also in his mind.

sigpic

Comment

Wow, an actual discussion thread instead of just another thunk thread. Who knew?

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
      I agree the line was probably meant just as information-giving, but to me it felt like such unnecessary information to give at that moment, that I found myself looking for some other meaning behind it.

On the bright side, I caught a rerun of Grace today, and I just love Sam's hallucination of Daniel. 'Seize the Moment!' 'Space born alien entity'.

I thought it was cool and quite appropriate that Sam sees Daniel as the inner voice that helps her keep her mind open to all possibilities, and to stay true to her own desire to discover and explore new things.
      I'm so glad someone brought this up. I caught part of Grace yesterday too. But it always kind of irritates me when I watch it. Sam's hallucination of Daniel seems a bit over-the-top. It's the kind of behavior that Jack would probably describe as "flaky." And it just doesn't sound like Daniel to me. I realize it's Sam's hallucination, but it seems like she thinks of Daniel more as he was in season 1 or 2, rather than how he is now.

I guess I'm still not sure what to make of it (but then again, the whole episode is that way for me, so I don't watch it very often).

Oh, and EvenstarSRV, I do agree that there was something "off" about Daniel in that Atlantis two-parter. I wasn't bothered by the one line you mentioned, but the whole performance felt a little strange to me, and I'm still not sure why. *shrug* But just to reassure you that you weren't the only one who thought Daniel was acting a little strangely.
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
        Wow, an actual discussion thread instead of just another thunk thread. Who knew?
        Heh, I was happy to find this thread too, since I don't really care to much for thunk threads but I love discussions.

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I caught part of Grace yesterday too. But it always kind of irritates me when I watch it. Sam's hallucination of Daniel seems a bit over-the-top. It's the kind of behavior that Jack would probably describe as "flaky." And it just doesn't sound like Daniel to me. I realize it's Sam's hallucination, but it seems like she thinks of Daniel more as he was in season 1 or 2, rather than how he is now.

I guess I'm still not sure what to make of it (but then again, the whole episode is that way for me, so I don't watch it very often).
        Grace is one of my favorite episodes, and one thing I keep in mind when watching it is that since Sam is hallucinating everyone, I think it made sense that Daniel's characterization was a bit exaggerated but still had touches of realism. I think Teal'c, O'neill, and Jacob's characterizations were also slightly exaggerated in various ways for the same reason.

I think as much as Daniel has changed over the years, in her mind Sam probably still sees him as sort of symbolizing the true explorer's spirit, eager to discover and study new things. I saw the Daniel hallucination as an exaggeration of those aspects, which helped encourage Sam to investigate the cloud more, which ultimately helped open her mind enough to save herself and the crew.

I could go on about the episode, but it'd be a bit off-topic for this thread.

Oh, and EvenstarSRV, I do agree that there was something "off" about Daniel in that Atlantis two-parter. I wasn't bothered by the one line you mentioned, but the whole performance felt a little strange to me, and I'm still not sure why. *shrug* But just to reassure you that you weren't the only one who thought Daniel was acting a little strangely.
        Thanks, that is good to know. I still enjoyed the episodes and Daniel's part in them, but I was kinda left feeling like he could have been used better. Yes he discovered Janus's lab and tried to reason with the rogue Asgard, but McKay did pretty much everything involved with turning on then turning off the Attero device.

I kinda wish Daniel's efforts to reason with the Asgard had worked or maybe he'd have to translate something to help McKay turn the device off. Instead, he came across more as just someone for McKay to play off of.

Sigh, on that note, Happy New Year!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
          Thanks, that is good to know. I still enjoyed the episodes and Daniel's part in them, but I was kinda left feeling like he could have been used better. Yes he discovered Janus's lab and tried to reason with the rogue Asgard, but McKay did pretty much everything involved with turning on then turning off the Attero device.

I kinda wish Daniel's efforts to reason with the Asgard had worked or maybe he'd have to translate something to help McKay turn the device off. Instead, he came across more as just someone for McKay to play off of.
          Have to admit, though, I literally squeed when Daniel was all "Let's negotiate with them." He lost a bit of that diplomacy when they had to deal with the ruthlessness of the Ori, so I was glad to see it was still an essential part of who he was.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
          ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
            Have to admit, though, I literally squeed when Daniel was all "Let's negotiate with them." He lost a bit of that diplomacy when they had to deal with the ruthlessness of the Ori, so I was glad to see it was still an essential part of who he was.
            I had the same kind of "squee" moment at that point, but for a slightly different reason. I tend to think that Daniel always would prefer to negotiate, and the only reason he was "less talk and more action" with the Ori was because of his initial encounter with the Ori at Celestus. That encounter pretty much convinced him that they were evil and could not be negotiated with. It was a pretty dramatic scene, and I think that first-hand knowledge of the Ori influenced everything he did afterwards.

...But back to the "squee" moment in Atlantis... I was just so happy to see someone, anyone, propose talking instead of blowing stuff up. Honestly, Daniel's perspective of "let's negotiate" is almost entirely absent from Atlantis. And it's one of the things I miss when I watch Atlantis. It's also one of the things that makes Daniel different from pretty much every other character in Stargate. When confronted with something new and quite possibly dangerous, he still wants to understand it. So, yeah, Daniel-the-negotiator was definitely a welcome addition to Lost Tribe.

EDIT: Oh, and I agree that Daniel was basically there as someone for McKay to banter with. Daniel really didn't do much of anything. But he did have some really funny lines.
            Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
            Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
              I had the same kind of "squee" moment at that point, but for a slightly different reason. I tend to think that Daniel always would prefer to negotiate, and the only reason he was "less talk and more action" with the Ori was because of his initial encounter with the Ori at Celestus. That encounter pretty much convinced him that they were evil and could not be negotiated with. It was a pretty dramatic scene, and I think that first-hand knowledge of the Ori influenced everything he did afterwards.

...But back to the "squee" moment in Atlantis... I was just so happy to see someone, anyone, propose talking instead of blowing stuff up. Honestly, Daniel's perspective of "let's negotiate" is almost entirely absent from Atlantis. And it's one of the things I miss when I watch Atlantis. It's also one of the things that makes Daniel different from pretty much every other character in Stargate. When confronted with something new and quite possibly dangerous, he still wants to understand it. So, yeah, Daniel-the-negotiator was definitely a welcome addition to Lost Tribe.
              I was very happy to see Daniel trying to reason with the Asgard too, I just wish his efforts had played some part in resolving the problem of the Attero device. I would have loved to see them really make use of Daniel's unique skills and resolve the problem through negotiations, instead of some last minute scientific fix by McKay.

I didn't mind seeing Daniel banter with McKay, I justed wished that those funny lines hadn't come at the expense of allowing Daniel to really contribute to turning off the Attero device.

sigpic

Comment

Bringing this up again in the hope of encouraging some more Daniel Discussion and Appreciation.....in relation to the convo I've been having recently in the hope that one day a "Daniel Focussed Movie" might happen, I wondered if anyone had any ideas on what sort of role/bad guys/aliens/discovery that Daniel fans would like him to have IF he got to play a major role in the next film.....

Or, conversely, how much interaction with Jack might he have (as we're being told by certain quarters that this next SG-1 film is very Jack-centric)....

Any comments or discussion welcomed - and let's try and keep it positive and appreciative of our favourite Archeologist......I still LOVE my Daniel Jackson in all his Seasons incarnations and appreciate him immensely.....

I personally hope that he gets the chance to discover something completely brand new, "lock horns" ethically and morally with Jack (because I think the two actors spark off one another brilliantly when there's a conflict of interests between Jack and Daniel) and get back to his roots in finding a peaceful solution.....

Deeds xx
                Last edited by discodiva; 17 January 2009, 12:49 AM.
                sigpic
                Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                  I personally hope that he gets the chance to discover something completely brand new, "lock horns" ethically and morally with Jack (because I think the two actors spark off one another brilliantly when there's a conflict of interests between Jack and Daniel) and get back to his roots in finding a peaceful solution.....
                  I'd like to see that too, although I'd also like to see him on the same side as Sam. With his darker side in Seasons 9/10, they seemed to drift a little—still great friends, but not allies so much. But I think the Ori finally not being a problem will help restore that relationship, so I'd like to see some Sam/Daniel friendship.

It's hard to say what I hope for without knowing what even the basic plot of the movie is going to be though.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                  ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Hmmm. I'll have to think about that.

In the series, I'm partial to the "Daniel goes crazy or evil" episodes. Especially like "Legacy" where he pretty much ends up having to save himself from the problem using his amazing deduction skills. I also really like the role he played in "The Quest"....again doing his puzzle-solving thing.

I also tend to prefer it when the whole team is together rather than split into two or more groups. Even though I loved Reckoning where they're all working on the same problem, I like it better when they work together face-to-face. I'd want them to at least be in radio contact with each other most of the time.

So, I guess something like that. Where they're all together or in close proximity working on a common goal but Daniel is perhaps the lead problem solver or even Daniel and Sam both solving a problem by working together high-lighting their similar aptitudes but different expertise.

I'd never turn away some sort of emotional or physical whump that he has to get past in order to solve the problem either if someone wanted to throw that in

In regards to Jack, I wouldn't want the kind of "horn-locking" that they had in The Other Side. While I love that episode, I think they're beyond that now as friends. Something more like in The Shroud would suit me, though. Or maybe something like Abyss with the roles reversed since I have Daniel solving a problem but having to get past some personal problem to do it. I wouldn't mind Jack cheering (or egging) him on a bit. Since Teal'c is there he wouldn't let things get too out of hand....he stands up to Jack more now than he did in season 4.

Comment

Bringing this up again in the hope of encouraging some more Daniel Discussion and Appreciation.....in relation to the convo I've been having recently in the hope that one day a "Daniel Focussed Movie" might happen, I wondered if anyone had any ideas on what sort of role/bad guys/aliens/discovery that Daniel fans would like him to have IF he got to play a major role in the next film.....
                      I think it would be interesting if the rogue Asgard from First Contact/The Lost Tribe were involved in the next movie, since I think they're an enemy that I think all the characters could have good interactions with, plus I'd personally really like to see some follow-up to that storyline.

Daniel has the most obvious connection since he discovered them in Lost Tribe, Jack because of his close relationship with Thor during the series, and Sam because of her history of working closely with them as well. And if perhaps the rogue tribe are threatening the new Jaffa Nation for some reason, Teal'c could have a personal tie-in to the storyline as well.

I think they'd be a pretty neat bad guy for all the characters because they know the 'good' Asgard the best, so there'll be conflict in trying to reconcile themselves to 'bad' Asgard, and Daniel could take the lead in talking to them and trying to get them to change. There could be some conflict between Jack and Daniel on how to deal with the Asgard (talk to them vs. fight them). Jack probably wouldn't take a hard-line against talking to them because he's generally liked the Asgard, but if they're threatening innocent people he might not be as lenient.

Sam could probably work with Daniel in trying to help the Asgard by working on some kind of tech like their suits, so you'd get the classic Sam and Daniel working on a problem together using their respective skills, with Jack potentially egging both on or having some conflict with both, and Teal'c probably providing support to all of them.

sigpic

Comment

That's an excellent scenario.....I could see myself getting into that one......*looks around to see if any anonymous writers might be looking in on the thread*....

I was a little disappointed that Daniel's interaction with those Asgards was a little "rushed" in Lost Tribe....I know it had to fit in the time frame of a two-parter and we had the other storyline going on as well - I would have loved to have seen a more detailed and longer speech from Daniel as well as a slightly more "fleshed out" background as to how this lot reconciled their "rogue ideals" with the quintessentially "non-interference" policy of the originals......but it wasn't to be......*sighs*.....

But then I ADORE Daniel doing what he does best.....impassioned pleas for the survival of all races, debating the ethics and morals of the Universe and generally being, well, passionate.......and [insert shallow moment here] I get to look at Michael Shanks doing what he does best - acting his little cotton socks off and looking beautiful at the same time.....

Deeds xx
                        sigpic

Comment

Soooooooo.....in the light of the latest rumours......

Spoilers for Stargate Universe follow......

Spoiler:
                          What do we all think about the possibility of Daniel's "cameo" appearance in the first episode of the new series?.......do we think he'll have a major part to play in their "predicament" or will he just be there as a sort of "handover", a bit like he and Jack did in Atlantis Rising?.....

Of course obviously for me, a very big Daniel fan of more or less everything he does, I'm delighted and hopeful that this comes about.....I hope that he's used sympathetically and that the writers draw on the strengths of his love of exploration, discovery and knowledge of the Stargate universe.....

Or of course he could be the one that presses the "wrong button" and sends them all off into space!!!.....

Deeds xx
                          sigpic

Comment

Soooooooo.....in the light of the latest rumours......

Spoilers for Stargate Universe follow......

Spoiler:
                            What do we all think about the possibility of Daniel's "cameo" appearance in the first episode of the new series?.......do we think he'll have a major part to play in their "predicament" or will he just be there as a sort of "handover", a bit like he and Jack did in Atlantis Rising?.....

Of course obviously for me, a very big Daniel fan of more or less everything he does, I'm delighted and hopeful that this comes about.....I hope that he's used sympathetically and that the writers draw on the strengths of his love of exploration, discovery and knowledge of the Stargate universe.....

Or of course he could be the one that presses the "wrong button" and sends them all off into space!!!.....

Deeds xx
                            LOL I could see that

I am going to watch the first ep now
                            sigpic
                            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

RE Universe question:
                              Spoiler:
                              I really hope Daniel is in no way responsible for their predicament! The poor guy has enough guilt already.
                              It would be OK, though if Daniel is the guy who figures out the 9th chevron. He's probably been working on that during his
                              spoiler for the Atlantis ep he was in....I can't remember what it was called.
                              Spoiler:
                              recovery from the zapping. I can't see him just lying around watching TV all that time.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                                LOL I could see that

I am going to watch the first ep now

Spoiler:
                                Me too.....I was going to give it a try because I do quite like Robert Carlyle and I feel I should be supporting the "Resident Brit at Bridge Studios".......but now Daniel may well be on board for at least a small part in the beginning of the series I'm not missing it whatever.....and, aside from this very fractured and divisive fandom, I know of quite a few people who could be described as "casual viewers" who are delighted at the possible prospect of seeing a very well loved and respected SG-1 character back to guide them into a new series....

Deeds xx
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X