No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel doesn’t just think he's always right. He is always right. At least, I tend to agree with him. I don't think his action in Full Circle was irrational. He didn't have much choice. It was either at least try to do something, or watch helplessly as every last Abydosian is destroyed by Anubis. Okay, they couldn't be totally saved anyway. I mean, Oma had to help them all ascend to keep them from just dying, and that probably would have happened regardless, but I still really feel Daniel was in the right trying to fight Anubis. However, I don't think it was good of him to give Anubis the Eye. Though I don't think that made much difference in the long run. Anyway, even Daniel is allowed to pull a wrong move once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
      But he is cocky. Perhaps in later years he's learned a bit more to supress that, but earlier years? Definitely cocky.
      It might be a wording problem - but Daniel is open minded, even when he believes he's right. I'm thinking, ofr example, about Learning Curve - he disagreed with the use these people did witht heir children, as much as Jack did - but he was able to see the bigger picture and to see hwat a devastation to their society stopping that might be. Even when he had the power - true, in Full Circle he's playing god - but in Abyss he asks Jack what right he has to do it.

But you are right in that he's single-minded... Oh, I dunno.

No, I think Daniel can be cocky. I just meant that his insistance on sticking to his way is more a sign of his single mindedness. Eh, I don't know if I'm saying it right. I think his ability to get up in the faces of people (or beings) that he knows are going to disagree or who could maybe squash him like a bug is a sign of a pretty high level of self esteem. He's certainly no shy wallflower. But, I think his tendency when he's decided on a path and can't be swayed from that direction falls more into the singleminded category.

Originally posted by 1DanielForMe
      Daniel doesn’t just think he's always right. He is always right. At least, I tend to agree with him. I don't think his action in Full Circle was irrational. He didn't have much choice. It was either at least try to do something, or watch helplessly as every last Abydosian is destroyed by Anubis. Okay, they couldn't be totally saved anyway. I mean, Oma had to help them all ascend to keep them from just dying, and that probably would have happened regardless, but I still really feel Daniel was in the right trying to fight Anubis. However, I don't think it was good of him to give Anubis the Eye. Though I don't think that made much difference in the long run. Anyway, even Daniel is allowed to pull a wrong move once in a while.
      So, is cockiness depended on results? If someone is always right, does that mean it's more okay for them to believe that they will always be right, than someone who's been wrong before? And, of course Daniel is allowed to pull a wrong move. In fact, it's required for him to pull a few wrong moves, or he'd be a Daniel-Sue, and I'd hate him. I like my characters flawed and human. The flaws and mistakes don't take away from the good qualities.

To me, the thing that sticks out (because I haven't watched Full Circle in awhile) was Daniel's "nothing will happen to the people of Abydos." Why did he say that? He had to believe it. It would be pointless just to be saying the words for what, bravado? So, I think he had to have actually have meant the words. But, he's had experience with the Ancients and knew they weren't going to help. Up to that point, Oma hadn't done crossed the line that fully, so he wouldn't have any reason to think she was going to pull in the big guns (and besides if she did, the others would be there to get in her way). Even he had had to circumvent the rules, sneak around, do things covertly. But, the only person he could know for sure would attempt to save them was himself. And, to me, his certainty that nothing would happen seemed to mean that he felt that he could save them all. Why did he think that? Possibly it's all a matter of the writers thinking that "nothing will happen to the people of Abydos" just sounds more dramatic than "I don't know if I can save them, but I'll do everything I can to try."
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Callista
        Oh, and by the way, I'm glad you guys seem to be the type to discuss things rationally. I love discussing and I sometimes find myself playing devil's advocate. I hope you don't mind. Also, I don't get offended easily and I think I have a pretty open mind. You may find yourselves changing my opinion....I'll admit it if you do.
        I definitely agree with this! I have been to other forums where the members jump down your throat for having a different opinion than theirs! Here everyone is rational, and half the time I'd rather just read everyone else's comments and thoughts than post for myself because they either closely mirror my own or they give me serious food for thought!

Like Dani347 said before
        Spoiler:
        "...But, now, I have to tell myself that it won't happen. It'll just be Daniel's good guy personality sneaking through. There won't be any reference to The Shroud and no angst. It'll be played as a joke. This is so I won't get my hopes up. At best, I can be pleasantly surprised. At worst, I'm trying to be prepared so it won't be disappointing.

Spoiler:
        I'm trying not get my hopes up either, but I do have some wishes for Daniel and Jack scenes. I really want a conversation between them like the one at the end of Abyss, where now it is Jack telling Daniel he will be okay and that Daniel should trust him. I love that scene in Abyss. But I can't hope too much, cuz it probably won't happen. *sigh*
        I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
        Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

Hmm.. nothing concret to discuss about Daniel this week.. nor the past two weeks. Fortunately, next episode should have something! So, just an observation:

Episode '200'
          Spoiler:
          If we are to take the discussions as part of the real Stargate 'verse -not the mini-vignettes/parodies (is mini-vignette redundant?)- we know now that Mitchell is about 5 or 6 years younger than Daniel.. but, irl, Shanks is younger than Browder by about 8. I just find that weird.. although actors often play characters with varying ages. So.. not THAT weird. Okay, just interesting then.. because I'm bored.

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
            Hmm.. nothing concret to discuss about Daniel this week.. nor the past two weeks. Fortunately, next episode should have something! So, just an observation:

Episode '200'
            Spoiler:
            If we are to take the discussions as part of the real Stargate 'verse -not the mini-vignettes/parodies (is mini-vignette redundant?)- we know now that Mitchell is about 5 or 6 years younger than Daniel.. but, irl, Shanks is younger than Browder by about 8. I just find that weird.. although actors often play characters with varying ages. So.. not THAT weird. Okay, just interesting then.. because I'm bored.
            I guess they're old enough that five or six years either way doesn't make much of a difference. It's easy to tell the difference between a 3 year old and a 4 year old... but not so much between a 35 year old and a 40 year old, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Toresica
              I guess they're old enough that five or six years either way doesn't make much of a difference. It's easy to tell the difference between a 3 year old and a 4 year old... but not so much between a 35 year old and a 40 year old, I suppose.
              You're right. I'm 39 and I still get carded occasionally. Whereas someone once mistook my sister for being my brother's mom. She's only 5 years older than he is. She was not amused.

Comment

Let's see... Daniel is supposed to be born in 1965? Is that right? So he's 42. And Michael was born in 1970 so he's 5 years younger than the character he plays. And If Mitchell is 5-6 years younger than Daniel, then he's 36 or so. And Ben was born in 1962 so he's actually... 43? Or 7 years older than Mitchell... And 8 years older than Michael who plays someone 5-6 years older than his character...

This is making my head spin! LOL!

Comment

Funny thing is, MS is the second youngest person in the cast (I think CB is a year or two younger) but I believe, aside from Landry, his character is the oldest Earthling in the cast (I mean out of anyone who is in the main credits). Teal'c obviously is much older, and we don't really know how old Vala is.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Maj_Cliffhanger
                    Let's see... Daniel is supposed to be born in 1965? Is that right? So he's 42.
                    Uhmm... not exactly. 40 or 41, depends what part of the year he was born (and it's 2006 now, not 2007).
                    T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                      Funny thing is, MS is the second youngest person in the cast (I think CB is a year or two younger) but I believe, aside from Landry, his character is the oldest Earthling in the cast (I mean out of anyone who is in the main credits). Teal'c obviously is much older, and we don't really know how old Vala is.
                      Hmm, I don't know - I always assumed that Sam was about a couple of years older than Daniel. I know everyone points to Entity where her ID said she was born in 1968, but for some reason I don't see that really being possible. Didn't Jacob mention in Secrets that she had given up waiting for the shuttle program to be reinstated after the Challenger disaster? That was 1986 so if Sam was born in 1968, she would have been 18 at the time (and since the disaster happened in January, she wouldn't have graduated high school just yet). So I think that makes her a bit too young. She also mentioned logging so many hours during the Gulf War in COTG. I thought that meant the Iran-Iraq war that ended around 1988. I guess it could have been Desert Storm, but that's what it's usually referred to I think, not "the Gulf War."

Maybe it's because AT is in reality about 5 years older than MS, but I always thought Sam was at least a couple of years older than Daniel.

Comment

For those of you who haven't seen the front page, it looks like Sci-fi are cancelling SG1...

Someone has started an online petition to save SG1 (and Daniel) for anyone who would like to sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/index.html
                        sigpic
                        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

I'm not saying the sentiment behind the online petition isn't sincere.. but people rarely pay attention to them. What we (those of us who wants the show to continue) need to do is do it the old fashion way -snail mail. One of the posters in the Cancelled thread suggested we send in tissue boxes; that's actually a very creative idea.. and it sure would catch the executives' attention.

All that said, however, it might be time for it to end with Sci-Fi and let SG-1 move on to other things. Like THE MOVIE! I must admit that I would rather have the series (with almost 20 hours of entertainment) vs a 2.5 hour movie. I don't know.. I am SO sad when I read the news.. but I perked up immediately when Gateworld reported Cooper said they're not giving up on SG-1 and that they WILL find some way to continue with the franchise.

One thing I'm also ambiguous about: The second half of the season airing in Spring of 2007. It'd give the writers more time to come up with a PROPER way to 'end' the series on Sci-fi, but it'd also mean we won't see the Daniel arc til NEXT YEAR! Arg!

So much to think about. Should I be happy? Sad? Excited about the future prospect? Or anxious that, despite what Cooper said, it'll all fall through and nothing will happen? I want more Daniel That's enough reason for the show to go on.

Comment

how realistic is it to see Daniel in Atlantis now?
                            I thought he was the one character most connected to the ancients storyline and Atlantis city
                            if SG1 characters can visit Atantis I hope Daniel can too He didn't get much chance to explore last time he visited...

“it makes an interesting hula hoop” Mr Shanks’ opinion of the gate January 2004

Comment

Well, there are talks (or rumors, more likely) of moving all or part of SG-1 onto Atlantis. I don't see -how- they would be able to pull that off. It might appease some viewers, but I think it'd definitely piss off a LOT more.

Now, I would love to continue to see Daniel on-screen. If it's through Atlantis, all right.. I'll give it a try, even though I never really cared for the show. They'd have to give us a plausible AND reasonable explaination of how he ended up there. Still, he's the most logical person to crossover to Atlantis. I don't see how they could possibly fit Teal'c onto the show.

Anyway, would you guys be happy to see Daniel on Atlantis as part of the permenant team there?

What if SG-1 continues on in some way? Would Daniel still be able to be part of the ongoing tv series/tv-movie/feature film/mini-series or whatever else is possible if he joins Atlantis?

Comment

I'd like to see another spin off and have Daniel be on that... That way nobody gets upset...

By Kidwizz

By JessM

Comment

Working...
                                X