Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ayan
    nope... the shorter hair accented his cheeks and jaw line though sometimes he keeps it too short....
    So glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! I thought his hair looked almost like Jack's style in these promo photos... at least in the one where he's standing next to Sam. Maybe it was the way it was sticking up or something...

yea, but compared to the promos for earlier seasons, he seems more... idk, something just doesn't click in my mind, i mean i liked the glasses he had in 2010, and these are similar style, but they just don't seem right... idk, like i said before, maybe i just need to get used to them
    I feel the same way and I think part of the problem might be the way everyone is so heavily airbrushed in these photos... maybe it makes the glasses look worse. Daniel does look almost expressionless there (though I guess he's supposed to).

But as I said before, it appears he'll be wearing the old glasses for at least part of the season. BTW, I don't think he's been wearing the same exact frames for 9 years. I noticed that the season 7-9 frames look just a bit different from the season 1-5 ones... very similar shape, but a bit smaller. Or maybe I'm seeing things...

Comment

Originally posted by Toresica
      A lot of people only get their eyes examined every two years (until about age 30, people's eyes are likely to change quickly, after that, not so much).

My frames tend to last 3 years or so - which includes going camping and dropping them on the floor and whatnot.
      I've had mine for about 2 years now. I'm in my late 20s and my eyes haven't really changed very much at all in more than 10 years (don't ask me why... I know it's odd). I've had maybe 5 different frames in that timespan, mostly due to breakage (hey, I'm a geologist and accidents happen - LOL).

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
        Most Danielish? Right now I'm on this kick of Daniel the curious and the seeker, so I'd say Avalon 1 and 2
        Spoiler:
        The way he's all excited about the Merlin discovery, the way he pleads his case about using the Ancient device to Landry - and continuing to plead his case when he's already won, the way he sits all caught up in the book he's reading, and the way he just lights up when he translates the story. It was a throwback to that childlike wonder of his early days. It even made the beard bearable. Then, him passionately and flusteredly trying to talk them out of burning Vala, and the scene afterwards.

And, I also had the same style of glasses for years, until they stopped making my kind and I had to update.
        It's a bit hard for me to pick, but I'd probably say Avalon Part 1 also, with Arthur's Mantle and Camelot a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          I've had my eyes tested every two years, and a new pair about every third visit. For many years I had only one style of (quite round and small) frame, but two months ago when I got my current pair the round style I'd always favoured was no longer available, so I have oval. I reckon Daniel did the same.

~~

Which episodes this year was Daniel most Danielish; which episode was Essence Of Daniel? I'm not sure if it was [the one on vala's planet] or Ethon.

Spoiler:
          [TOoVP] was Daniel The Philosopher. He'd never really agreed with The Others and their non-interference policy, but he's suddenly faced with The Ori and their interfere-at-your-lesiure policy and you can see the tickticktick of him working out how to explain to the potential followers why 'help' from the Ori isn't a good thing. It's very Danielish to choose a position for a reason - in this case the Ori are Bad because they hurt people - and then argue in support of his position by taking totally different reasons: don't accept help from the ori cos it's better for you to stand on your own feet. He has that Danielish commitment to his cause, and passion in his argument.

But Ethon is a perfect example of Daniel putting his faith in strangers because if his faith turns out justified lives will be saved. He's arguably very foolish - personally even though I was cheering Daniel on I thought on balance it looked as if he was putting too much on very long odds - but he displays the same noble spirit of self-sacrifice, and the same willingness to sacrifice his own team if necessary in the pursiut of the same goal that we learnt early on to assiciate with daniel. In anyone else this tendency to put his colleagues' lives in the balance might be unpleasant: far too pragmatical in RL terns, and downright darstardly in TV Hero terms. But Daniel's risked his own life so many more times, and willingly died even, so that rather than being cavalier when he puts his friends at risk it seems more that he's showing his faith in *their* ethics and noble spirit.

I'm leaning more toward the former, but they're both good for Daniel.
          I have to say ETHON is the most Danielist ep of S9.
          Spoiler:
          He reminds me of the Daniel from THE OTHER SIDE. Where he is trying to get the same point across, why continue to fight and die when you have the option to leave and start over fresh somewhere else. But situation ends up the same tragic way but I don't believe that will stop him from offering the same advice again.
          Of course TPTB comes in a close second
          Spoiler:
          when he convinces VALA to tell the truth and then he defends of her at the trial and Then his debate with the PRIOR. These are such "Daniel" thing to do.
          sigpic
          Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
            Not at all. Nice to see you here, LoopyMowse! (It's me - "sciencetwins" from OS)
            I like the little Sam and Daniel you have in your posts! Very cute

I plan to read the discussion properly from start when I can, as Daniel is my favourite character and I would like to know what people have found interesting about him here

sorry if this has been discussed already but I would like to know has anyone wanted to see Daniel flying? I know he's not military but maybe he has learned some of the skills just in case? Just a thought...

“it makes an interesting hula hoop” Mr Shanks’ opinion of the gate January 2004

Comment

it appears he'll be wearing the old glasses for at least part of the season. BTW, I don't think he's been wearing the same exact frames for 9 years. I noticed that the season 7-9 frames look just a bit different from the season 1-5 ones... very similar shape, but a bit smaller. Or maybe I'm seeing things...
              I think they *couldn't* be the exact same frames all these years that were purchased brought to the set for the pilot, but each new season the prop glasses chosen would be as close to what they could find for the character. I know they take photos of the actors to keep as much matching as possible for time frames. Noone could have predicted they would need glasses for Daniel this length of filming time!

I'm confused. I wonder why they used different glasses for promotional pictures? It's not like Daniel's hair hasn't changed (between seasons seven and nine even) why use different glasses for a series of promotional pictures if they're not going to use them on the character in episiodes. It seems like effort for not much reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayan
                look in the FAQs, it's all there!

i just looked at the promos, and i don't like the new glasses... they make him look less innocent.... the larger frames gave Danny a wide-eyed, curious, almost childish look, but these new glasses just make him look older and prudish like he's always cranky.... idk, maybe i just need to get used to them...
                You know I showed the promo pics to a friend of mine who does not come onto GW and her first reaction was "Our Danny is all grown up".

I have to agree with her because the new frames gives him a bit on an edge. I guess it really shows that he is getting more and more involved in the leadership of the SGC. He is not the just the academic advisor anymore. He has evolved into a man that has a combination of tactical knowledge, diplomacy, academic knowledge. I guess the combination of all three makes him a more dangerous person to his enemies and foes if they ever dare to cross his path with injustice.

Ok I am not explaining myself very well here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarym1
                  I have to say ETHON is the most Danielist ep of S9.
                  Spoiler:
                  He reminds me of the Daniel from THE OTHER SIDE. Where he is trying to get the same point across, why continue to fight and die when you have the option to leave and start over fresh somewhere else. But situation ends up the same tragic way but I don't believe that will stop him from offering the same advice again.
                  Of course TPTB comes in a close second
                  Spoiler:
                  when he convinces VALA to tell the truth and then he defends of her at the trial and Then his debate with the PRIOR. These are such "Daniel" thing to do.
                  I have to admit that I found TPTB quite like Cor Ai, in a way. In Cor Ai, Daniel defends Teal'c after he's been accused of murdering a man's father. In TPTB,
                  Spoiler:
                  Daniel defends Vala at that trial. I thought that his debate with the Prior seemed similar to his sort of "debate" with Hanno in Cor Ai, when he kept trying to convince him that Teal'c was innocent. Then again, it's been forever since I saw TPTB, so I could be looking at this all wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by LoopyMowse
                    I like the little Sam and Daniel you have in your posts! Very cute http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...inkglasses.gif
                    I plan to read the discussion properly from start when I can, as Daniel is my favourite character and I would like to know what people have found interesting about him here

sorry if this has been discussed already but I would like to know has anyone wanted to see Daniel flying? I know he's not military but maybe he has learned some of the skills just in case? Just a thought...
                    Thank you! I'm not sure if it's been discussed here already (I'm pretty much a newcomer to this discussion myself), but it's interesting that you bring that up because I read a sort of fanfiction like that. There's something called Sam's Diary that goes through season 1 so far, and in it, Daniel goes for flying lessons. I believe Sam goes with him. It used to be at this site but she took it down when she changed servers and hasn't put it back up yet. Maybe you could ask her and she could send it to you to read. (wish I'd bookmarked it)

Comment

Originally posted by LoopyMowse
                      I'm confused. I wonder why they used different glasses for promotional pictures? It's not like Daniel's hair hasn't changed (between seasons seven and nine even) why use different glasses for a series of promotional pictures if they're not going to use them on the character in episiodes. It seems like effort for not much reason.
                      Your guess is as good as mine. The only reason I can come up with is that it fits into the whole "casual" image that they're going for, i.e. this isn't what they normally wear while they're at work. They're dressed down. Maybe these are sort of "dress glasses" (as in "dress shirt") for Daniel? Or it fits in with the "artsy" mood of the picture. Something like that...

It would be nice to have a few promotional pictures of them in uniform as well.

Comment

I feel the same way and I think part of the problem might be the way everyone is so heavily airbrushed in these photos... maybe it makes the glasses look worse. Daniel does look almost expressionless there (though I guess he's supposed to).

But as I said before, it appears he'll be wearing the old glasses for at least part of the season. BTW, I don't think he's been wearing the same exact frames for 9 years. I noticed that the season 7-9 frames look just a bit different from the season 1-5 ones... very similar shape, but a bit smaller. Or maybe I'm seeing things...
                        yeah... that's probably it... the pics look almost surreal with all the air brushing.... as for his old frames, they did change them periodically, but not much.... S1 & 2, they were sorta brass in colour, and then they became more grey in S3, 4, & 5.... when he descended, the frames "shrank" marginally and were slightly less round

i get new glasses every year b/c of school, but every time i go for similar, if not the exact same frames... like last time i got new glasses, the only difference in the frames were the colours, the previous a metallic, chameleon fuisha, and the latter, a metallic, chameleon blue. and currently i have silver frames, but they are all the same shape and style... over the years, Daniel had gotten new glasses, but the changes were extremely subtle to non-existant...
                        I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                        sigpic

Comment

That seems about right.

My glasses have always been fairly similar in color. When I was little I got these sort of plastic, clear/burgundy frames that were huge (this was the early/mid 80s, lol). I did have red wire frames for a short time (which I was told I could carry off because I have dark hair), but after that it was mostly brown "tortoise shell" color. Now they're sort of brownish, almost similar to one of Daniel's I guess (hard to describe). Mine were always sort of round, although the pair before these were more oval/square, and these are just basically oval.

I didn't even notice right away that Daniel's glasses after he descended were different from before... but I could tell there were subtle differences (and it's probably better that they did "shrink" marginally).

Comment

I have to admit that I found TPTB quite like Cor Ai, in a way. In Cor Ai, Daniel defends Teal'c after he's been accused of murdering a man's father. In TPTB,
                            Spoiler:
                            Daniel defends Vala at that trial. I thought that his debate with the Prior seemed similar to his sort of "debate" with Hanno in Cor Ai, when he kept trying to convince him that Teal'c was innocent. Then again, it's been forever since I saw TPTB, so I could be looking at this all wrong...
                            that was the episode I thought of too! I was also reminded of s5 "48 Hours" Daniel passionately talking to the russian Colonel to persuade his people to loan their DHD for rescuing Teal'c from the gate

Comment

thanks I will make note of the site address and read the stories another time, it would be interesting to see what the scenario of Daniel learning that skill would be like

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine. The only reason I can come up with is that it fits into the whole "casual" image that they're going for, i.e. this isn't what they normally wear while they're at work. They're dressed down. Maybe these are sort of "dress glasses" (as in "dress shirt") for Daniel? Or it fits in with the "artsy" mood of the picture. Something like that...
                                It would be nice to have a few promotional pictures of them in uniform as well.
                                maybe he will wear the new glassses in any off base scenes in s10, I would like to see some scenes of the characters (team) off base (and if it could be Daniel's home that would be a bonus)

Comment

Working...
                                X