Team discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
    I'm going to be thinking that now when I watch it. "Don't listen to the Black Widow, Jonas!"

And as we saw in S7, all that advice turned out so well for him. Now, was it Sam, or did he catch the curse of Daniel Jackson?
    I'm going with my own theory that symbiotes (both Goa'uld and Tok'ra...don't forget about Anise!) are naturally attracted to smart, kind of shy, nice guys with boyish good looks. It's the perfect complement for intellegent, assertive, vain, self-absorbed women!

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
      I'm going with my own theory that symbiotes (both Goa'uld and Tok'ra...don't forget about Anise!) are naturally attracted to smart, kind of shy, nice guys with boyish good looks. It's the perfect complement for intellegent, assertive, vain, self-absorbed women!

Poor, poor lads
      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
        As long as we're at it, I'll put in my two cents on this OT discussion!:

Spoiler:
        I don't think it is OOC for Sam to give up/be realistic, as shown by all the examples we've been able to come up with. That sort of IS her character. I think she is a lot like her dad. Remember Jacob in Exodus? "We're not going to make it!", and Jack gets after him about it?

That is sort of what Sam does. Jack tells her to do something and she says, "Uh, sir? That can't be done, the science doesn't work like that." Until Jack says, "Figure it out.", then she re-thinks and says, "Sir? I think I got an idea!" Or she says she can't see how they will get out of something and Daniel says, "Well, I don't really know this science, but what if we...." And she gets thoughtful for a second then smiles and says, "Sir? I think I've got an idea!" When you think about it, she is often quick to act the doomsayer, BUT she does rethink her position if someone else can get her to start thinking differently!
        Spoilers for OT response to OT discussion.

Spoiler:
        Thank you, Crichiel, for clearing up the whole issue for me. I never really thought of Sam as an optimist (that's more Daniel's job, and later Cam's), but I could never figure out why. But you're right, she does seem to react negatively at times (and sometimes that might also mean realistically) and then stop to think things over before she changes her perspective. Or perhaps I shouldn't say "negatively"... more like "skeptically." Which makes perfect sense with her scientific background. Sometimes I understand her skepticism and sometimes it irritates me just a tad. The example of Sam wanting to give up in Continuum... well, I had noticed that too, but in that case it felt realistic to me (after all, what are the chances of being rescued if you're in the middle of the Arctic?). But for some reason, Metamorphosis just doesn't give me a feeling of danger and desperation... maybe because the exploding puddle death scenes are too weird to inspire true fear.

'Disclosure'
        hmmm... what do I have to say about this one... considering that very little happens, I actually like this one. I like watching everyone's reactions. And I like Paul Davis. And really, who doesn't like Thor?
        That was my pathetic attempt to be slightly on topic. Now I'll go watch the episode and maybe provide some less pathetic commentary.
        Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
        Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

'Disclosure'

The existence of the Stargate is revealed to other world governments, and General Hammond and the Pentagon have to defend the United States military operation of the program and their actions.
          The best part of it was Thor's brief appearance and what he said O'Neill told him he should do with Kinsey.

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
            Of course...how did I never make that connection before? Even Osiris fell to the boyish charm of Daniel...

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
            ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
              Spoilers for OT response to OT discussion

hmmm... what do I have to say about this one... considering that very little happens, I actually like this one. I like watching everyone's reactions. And I like Paul Davis. And really, who doesn't like Thor?
              That was my pathetic attempt to be slightly on topic. Now I'll go watch the episode and maybe provide some less pathetic commentary.
              Let's face it, clip shows aren't going to be anyone's favourite, but they ARE going to happen. And personally, I don't think any show does them better than Stargate.

Generally, the plot line for clip shows is ridiculously mundane. Usually people just sitting around saying, "I'm not like that!" "Yes you are, we'll prove it. Remember when...?" But not Stargate. They actually create mini-episodes within the clip show, so that even if the original material is only 10 minutes out of the 40, they are still advancing story arcs....well, maybe not in Citizen Joe, but since that one absolutely hits my personal funny bone, I forgive them for that aberration.

So, Disclosure. I like this one. There are some huge happenings here with other countries finding out about the Stargate! We get our (sort of) reveal to the world, without having to deal with the mess that public disclosure would bring about. And the ramifications of this big reveal have so many great ramifications to stories in years to come, both in SG-1 and SGA.

I like how the different countries represented kind of run the gambit of emotions when faced with the startling truth of intergalactic travel and aliens among us. And I really like seeing Hammond and Chekov on the same side for a change. I think the Russians' support would carry more weight with the others. Maybe thinking that if the RUSSIANS believe the U.S. has acted in the best interests of the planet, then maybe they should hear us... (sorry, how very U.S.-centric of me! )...THEM out.

There is some more nice Kinsey moments that add to our catalog of reasons to hate him. And then there is Thor. Ah, Thor! How I love the guy! NO one on Earth could have shut Kinsey up more thoroughly or efficiently then a simple word and gesture from our little buddy!

And finally, bonus points for bringing up Daniel and his genius one more time!

A clip show that is actually better than some shows' regular episodes. One more reason why I like my Stargate!!!

Comment

Disclosure is my ubiquitous episode. I don't have cable so whenever we're travelling I check the hotel channels to see if they have Sci-Fi. It seems like every time they do and I tune in to watch SG-1 the scene opens and someone is pouring drinks and I say: "AAAAh!!! This one again!!!" and then I turn the channel and watch some old Star Trek: Voyager episode on SpikeTV instead.

Hence my inability to discuss this episode. Ironic, yes?

Comment

OK, you forced me into it, I have watched Disclosure (probably the first time since it came out).

Not a fan of clip shows (who is?). I agree that SG1 can do a better job with them than some other shows. However, this was not one of the better efforts. Into the Fire (do I have the title right?) was the best one IMO. At least it included the cast to a large degree. Same with Politics. Citizen Joe less so but I found parts of it quite funny. Here, we don't see the team except in the clips. While I like and Davis I don't watch the show for them.

It was nice to see Col. Chekov on our side (well, mostly ).

Nice to hear DSD do a commentary.

Best part, Thor! "That's Supreme Commander ...". Funny.

Quibbles: where was the Canadian ambassador? The show is mostly Canadian. Give us some power! By the way, we have always had people at Cheyenne Mountain as part of NORAD.

How did Kinsey know about the Foothold situation (which was shown in one of the clips.)? All record of it was erased. They told Jonas and Sam told Barrett in S & M but neither would tell Kinsey IMO.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    OK, you forced me into it, I have watched Disclosure (probably the first time since it came out).

Not a fan of clip shows (who is?). I agree that SG1 can do a better job with them than some other shows. However, this was not one of the better efforts. Into the Fire (do I have the title right?) was the best one IMO. At least it included the cast to a large degree. Same with Politics. Citizen Joe less so but I found parts of it quite funny. Here, we don't see the team except in the clips. While I like and Davis I don't watch the show for them.

It was nice to see Col. Chekov on our side (well, mostly ).

Nice to hear DSD do a commentary.

Best part, Thor! "That's Supreme Commander ...". Funny.

Quibbles: where was the Canadian ambassador? The show is mostly Canadian. Give us some power! By the way, we have always had people at Cheyenne Mountain as part of NORAD.

How did Kinsey know about the Foothold situation (which was shown in one of the clips.)? All record of it was erased. They told Jonas and Sam told Barrett in S & M but neither would tell Kinsey IMO.
                    Given how information seems to frequently get leaked from the SGC, I wouldn't be surprised if Kinsey has a "mole" there that sneaks information to him about all sorts of stuff - including the foothold situation.

Comment

'Forsaken'

SG-1 find a crashed ship on another planet. Whilst attempting to help the crew repair the vessel, their efforts are hindered by a group of aliens. At first they appear hostile, but the team soon begin to suspect that something is not entirely right.
                      sigpic

Comment

'Forsaken'
                        Oh dear. Here's one that I am going to have to be forced into watching. I like nothing about this episode. I'll suck it up, though, and watch it tonight!

Comment

Re: Disclosure

I like that they have a bit of a story along with the clip show. I love Hammond in this one and Thor is a highlight. That said, it's not one I watch unless I happen to catch it on tv. I forgot about the commentary--thanks for pointing that out EH-T. DSD really seemed like a good guy. Too bad he didn't do a few more. It would have been fun to hear him with one of the other cast members.

Comment

'Forsaken'

I quite liked this episode, especially on second and subsequent viewings. Loved the team moments: the Jack/Sam bantering at the beginning; Jack's calling Teal'c T; Jonas' running toward Sam after finding her down; Teal'c's staying with Sam after her rescue and so on. A good feeling episode.

BTW, I like this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                              Oh dear. Here's one that I am going to have to be forced into watching. I like nothing about this episode. I'll suck it up, though, and watch it tonight!
                              Its very telling that I'm not at all surprised that you don't like this one Now, should I be pleased that this shows that people are making a commitment to watch and comment, and that their posts are worth reading, remembering and commenting on? Or should I be a tad worried?

... I suspect that my stance on this ep won't be too hard to guess. Anyone care to take a crack at what they think I like about it, and what small part of it makes me want to thack someone (OK, Jonas) over the head for certain (OK, geeky) reasons?
                              sigpic

Comment

'Forsaken'

SG-1 find a crashed ship on another planet. Whilst attempting to help the crew repair the vessel, their efforts are hindered by a group of aliens. At first they appear hostile, but the team soon begin to suspect that something is not entirely right.
                                Life/work is a bit crazy at the moment so I'll post now as I have some time. Be forewarned, I have watched part of the episode and therefore am partly relying on memory (very dangerous ).

I really like this episode. Will be interesting to hear from those who don't.

It's a typical team kind of ep. They go through the gate (not on a ship) as a team (not split up the whole time), get into trouble, get out of trouble, go home.

I think the premise is interesting. Wouldn't it be our natural tendency to believe and side with the humans and be suspicous of the "scary" looking creatures? I like that the twist is it is the humans we have to fear.

Like the Celtic references. Love that T thinks they'd be formidable warriors because of Braveheart!

Sometimes you wait for a commentary on an episode hoping they will talk about something that has bugged you. Frustrating when they don't! You can clearly hear Jack singing "tell me that you love me" at the very beginning as he approaches Carter. Was this an RDA ad-lib? Was it just to be funny? Was it to torment the shippers? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't like the part about Jack looking through the telescope and being told he wouldn't see anything during the day. Inconsistent with the history of the show. He has a telescope on his roof (COTG), he confirmed the solar flare through the fancy telescope (1969), he stayed on the planet to view some event (can't remember what, told you the memory was faulty) in Singularity. He would know better.

Some people don't like the flirty parts. I'm OK with them. Who wouldn't flirt with Sam and Jonas, they are so cute. Besides, both bad guys had alterior motives. I think it was nice to see Sam have a bit of fun. Shows some growth since the early years (she seemed much more relaxed than with Narim in Enigma) but still not completely at ease. I liked the look she gave the guy after he said she was "funny, charming and beautiful". Nice Jonas wasn't hoodwinked. Love his line about not trusting women who kiss on the first date!

I agree about the team moments described by jz9.

Don't really buy the bad guy being able to sneak up on Sam but those things often happen in episodes (like Jack not watching Maybourne in PL).

Liked how Sam said "hellooooo" when first looking in the ship. I don't know if was deliberate but it made me think of Daniel because that is often how he said it.

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
                                I quite liked this episode, especially on second and subsequent viewings. Loved the team moments: the Jack/Sam bantering at the beginning; Jack's calling Teal'c T; Jonas' running toward Sam after finding her down; Teal'c's staying with Sam after her rescue and so on. A good feeling episode.

BTW, I like this thread.
                                Glad you like it. Keep posting!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X