Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Skydiver,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm just looking for a heads-up. Are there camps again? (And I'm not talking the usual ship/anti-ship, insert-fav-char-here type groups you find in any fandom. I'm talking about the people who seemed ready to go to war a few years back.) And if there are, what's motivated them so I know what's going on?

Penguin
    "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      When I first heard this news, I was bit taken back as well, but then I thought that AT does so well with children (e.g., with the young Cassie) that this could be a very touching episode --the writers just have to leave out any attaction element and center more on the caring that Sam and Orlin have. This young actor seems to be well-regarded, so I am thinking that the interaction between AT and this actor could be excellent---with "poignant consequences."

you know who i'd love to see amanda work with (child actor)? Dakota Fanning. (someday, that girl's going to win a big award) actually, with how similar they look, they could play mother/daughter. or dakota could play a very young sam...

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
        Hey Skydiver,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm just looking for a heads-up. Are there camps again? (And I'm not talking the usual ship/anti-ship, insert-fav-char-here type groups you find in any fandom. I'm talking about the people who seemed ready to go to war a few years back.) And if there are, what's motivated them so I know what's going on?

Penguin

i don't know if there were ever NOT 'camps'. It's been my observation that folks have sort of fallen back to their places of comfort and there are very few places where the various opposing sides truly interact anymore.

if you're curious about the 'flavor' of a particular thread or person, just read up in the thread a bit and get a lay of the land. some you will agree with, some you won't.

Rightnow, with the show in haitus for another month and a half, folks are all a bit unsettled
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Side note...one of the mods pointed out on the Ask Joe thread that we should ask questions and not try to have the final word...

i saw that. i don't get it???

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i saw that. i don't get it???

sally
            neither do i. it probably has something to do with the posts that were deleted. One of the longest running issues with joes' thread is folks making a statement or expressing an opinion instead of asking a question and folks who ask a common question getting it answered by a random poster

we try to keep things deleted and cleaned up because no matter how many times we've said 'questions ONLY please' folks still post other things
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Wow Skydiver, I just read your fic 'From Perdition's Flame' and omg - that was one awesome read! Anyone who hasn't read it yet, do it now!
              /me wonders if there'll be a sequal

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                i don't know if there were ever NOT 'camps'. It's been my observation that folks have sort of fallen back to their places of comfort and there are very few places where the various opposing sides truly interact anymore.
                Ah, I think you've just answered my question. So there are camps, but no active warfare anymore. Last time, it seemed like no board was safe, and I saw that people were even marking personal sites as being "friendly" to this character and that one.

Originally posted by Skydiver
                if you're curious about the 'flavor' of a particular thread or person, just read up in the thread a bit and get a lay of the land. some you will agree with, some you won't.
                I'll do that. Sounds like good advice.

So far, no one seems to have offended me though. Most of the statements I've read over the last few days sound either content or outright happy. This thread was the only one generating anything that sounded like discontent. That's why I figured the best way to take the "hostility temperature" of this fandom would be to come over and check out the sitch.

Thanks for answering.

Penguin
                "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  So we've had KnightlySam, JediSam and now XenaSam. Since you've put the 'X' word out there, Forever, it's created an opening I can't resist: if Carter is Xena does that make Fraiser Gabrielle?
                  she's painfully underutilized (although we were thrilled to learn that the world's leading theoretical astrophysicist could also run a fax machine).
                  Sam thinks you're making fun of her, Über (although I assured her that you would do no such thing). Carter wants everyone to know that she takes her faxing very seriously. Just look at her facial expression! Besides, do you know how difficult it is to fax documents when the entire planet is on the verge of nuclear annihilation? Blowing up suns is a mere bagatelle by comparison.
                  As for the Young Orlin storyline, at its worst it can't be half as squicky as the fanfic I read in which Clone Jack comes back to the SGC as an Air Force Academy grad ... whereupon Sam feels strangely attracted to him. It could be the beginning of a new series: The Adventures of Samantha Carter, Craddle-Robber.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                    As for the Young Orlin storyline, at its worst it can't be half as squicky as the fanfic I read in which Clone Jack comes back to the SGC as an Air Force Academy grad ... whereupon Sam feels strangely attracted to him. It could be the beginning of a new series: The Adventures of Samantha Carter, Craddle-Robber.
                    Is that the fic where it started out really good - Brig. Gen. Carter in talking to Captain Hailey in her office about her former team, and its losses and then all of a sudden Clone Jack pops up?
                    So many fics out there, ruined by Sam/Jack ship...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      amanda's having a great year! wins two awards, and has an even greater gift given to her on march 22nd.

((((amanda))))

i'm *soooo* happy for her!

sally
                      2005 is Amanda's year
                      She has beautiful Olivia
                      She wins a Saturn
                      She wins a Leo
                      ...and hopefully it will be a great season for Sam!!
                      Way to go, Amanda!!!
                      Oh and she turns 40...
                      just goes to prove that
                      like a good wine
                      she only gets better with age.
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 29 May 2005, 08:42 PM.

Comment

2005 is Amanda's year
                        She has beautiful Olivia
                        She wins a Saturn
                        She wins a Leo
                        ...and hopefully it will be a great season for Sam!!
                        Way to go, Amanda!!!

Oh and she turns 40...
                        just goes to prove that
                        like a good wine
                        she only gets better with age.

That's lovely and so true for Amanda,what a year for her and they say life begins at forty so Amanda has much more good things coming her way!
                        ......TARA......

Comment

Amanda does look as if she's on the prowl in the above photo and I seriously doubt she'd find much resistance when she finally finds whomever or whatever she is after.
                          I can't imagine she meets any resistance whatsoever. And she looks exactly the way Carter is portrayed in certain fan fiction stories. You know, the ones where "the blonde growled" as she put the moves on a certain medical professional. (And I don't mean Dr. Warner.) In addition to being portrayed in rather feral terms, Carter tends to have a good deal more spine in those fictions than in most of the Gen & S/J stories I've read (and I've read more than I care to admit). Maybe I'm just not finding the good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            ROTFLOL You naughty boy, you! But there's truth in them thar words!
                            My parents despaired of my constant misbehavior when I was a child. As the denizens of this forum know all too well, I have not matured with age (though I'd like to think I have mellowed just a bit).

One reason the Young Orlin idea isn't bugging me is that it's so off the wall that we're really going to have to see how it's done in order to get our heads around it. That's the first S9 storyline about which I can say that. Most of the others (as described, mind you) either sound warmed over from previous seasons or, in a few cases, like bad episodes of Charmed. Okay, that last comment presupposes that there are good episodes of Charmed, which may be carrying Christian charity a step too far. But you get the idea ... don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                              So we've had KnightlySam, JediSam and now XenaSam. Since you've put the 'X' word out there, Forever, it's created an opening I can't resist: if Carter is Xena does that make Fraiser Gabrielle?

Sam thinks you're making fun of her, Über (although I assured her that you would do no such thing). Carter wants everyone to know that she takes her faxing very seriously. Just look at her facial expression! Besides, do you know how difficult it is to fax documents when the entire planet is on the verge of nuclear annihilation? Blowing up suns is a mere bagatelle by comparison.
                              LOL. Well at least with Xena/Gabrielle I can honestly say I actually saw that the writers were suggesting a bit more than friendship between the two characters. I think you are dreaming with Sam/Janet though... wishful dreaming isn't necessarily bad...but it's dreaming no less.
                              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 29 May 2005, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
                                Ah, I think you've just answered my question. So there are camps, but no active warfare anymore. Last time, it seemed like no board was safe, and I saw that people were even marking personal sites as being "friendly" to this character and that one.

I'll do that. Sounds like good advice.

So far, no one seems to have offended me though. Most of the statements I've read over the last few days sound either content or outright happy. This thread was the only one generating anything that sounded like discontent. That's why I figured the best way to take the "hostility temperature" of this fandom would be to come over and check out the sitch.

Thanks for answering.

Penguin
                                You'll have to forgive us Penguin. We're just a tad nervous because not much has been said about Sam in season 9. Thus far most of the spoilers have been involving Mr. Mitchell, Daniel and Teal'c. This is our way of venting our frustration, but it will all go back to the happy land of Samanda once something concrete is said or we see a promo shot of Amanda or even just a picture of Amanda period.

Comment

Working...
                                X