Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
    What? I was talking about the Farscape parody...Sam is way more like Aeryn than Chiana, who is much more the Vala type of character. But Sam as Dorothy? I don't buy that. That's a good fit for Vala, or rather Vala's personna. I also don't buy Mitchell as Scarecrow—that should be Jack, since Mitchell acts like he has a brain.
    When?

Oz was always a Jack thing, he even called Sam Dorothy. That story had nothing to do with the "new" Sg1, and IMO Mitchell, Vala and Landry didn't belong there at all. The only thing that Vala has in common with Dorothy is the hair color, and there is this wonderful invention called a wig, that would have fixed that problem for Sam.
    sigpic

Comment

What? I was talking about the Farscape parody...Sam is way more like Aeryn than Chiana, who is much more the Vala type of character. But Sam as Dorothy? I don't buy that. That's a good fit for Vala, or rather Vala's personna. I also don't buy Mitchell as Scarecrow—that should be Jack, since Mitchell acts like he has a brain.
      You don't remember Jack called Sam Dorothy? In Seth? It was *Jack* with all the Stargate SG-1 Oz references. Imo that should never have come from Vala. I don't see that Vala has anything to do with Dorothy. Last time I saw The Wizard of Oz Dorothy wasn't a slaving, thieving "whorelette" <---CB's term (admittedly later in the season Vala was toned down and much better - as long as she wasn't attached to Daniel.)

on Mitchell and a brain... Jack may have *acted* like he didn't have a brain, but it was there. He was a sound strategist. Unlike Mitchell.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
        When?

Oz was always a Jack thing, he even called Sam Dorothy. That story had nothing to do with the "new" Sg1, and IMO Mitchell, Vala and Landry didn't belong there at all. The only thing that Vala has in common with Dorothy is the hair color, and there is this wonderful invention called a wig, that would have fixed that problem for Sam.
        I don't have anything against Vala, Landry or Mitchel, but I do agree that Sam woulda made an amazing Dorothy. She could just borrow the Magnus wig and stick it in pigtails! Add a pair of ruby red slipers, et voila:
        --Kate

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          :Lindsay told us he was telling everyone, and obviously he forgot someone. however, I do know precisely how many were sold...i shipped them all out
          Oh, both times? Coolness! So it was YOU I got my package from. I had mine with the first release, not the second, more recent one.
          Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            You don't remember Jack called Sam Dorothy? In Seth? It was *Jack* with all the Stargate SG-1 Oz references. Imo that should never have come from Vala. I don't see that Vala has anything to do with Dorothy. Last time I saw The Wizard of Oz Dorothy wasn't a slaving, thieving "whorelette" <---CB's term (admittedly later in the season Vala was toned down and much better - as long as she wasn't attached to Daniel.)

on Mitchell and a brain... Jack may have *acted* like he didn't have a brain, but it was there. He was a sound strategist. Unlike Mitchell.

suse
            I think ultimately it was because in Vala's head, she's Dorothy. She's the girl caught in the wacky adventure. How accurate you think this is very much a matter of opinion, but for that character to describe it to someone in such a way that would suggest that (which is what she's doing with Martin)...that's what Vala would think

At least AT didn't have to wear the scary gingham outfit for the promos, and although it was a tiny little appearance, looked like the epitome of a beautiful good witch. All white and fluffy in the big dress

...This proves that my fandom is officially bizarre.
            sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

When?
              Well, whenever he comes up with ingenious ideas that inspire Sam to save the day. I certainly remember it happening more with him than with Jack, who always pretended to be dense (never was sure how true it was...).

Except, Vala was proposing the idea because she watched the Wizard of Oz. Probably at a team movie night, at Jack's suggestion. *shrugs* Made perfect sense to me.

Vala has the sense of wonder that Sam doesn't anymore...Sam's too practical to be Dorothy. And, to be fair, Vala never actually whored herself out, just used her sexuality as a tool. Which is something else entirely, no matter what CB said.

suse
              I never said Jack didn't have a brain! Besides, neither did the Scarecrow, he just thought he did. Perfect fit for Jack, who acts like he doesn't have one.

Actually, I don't think either Jack or Mitchell are good strategists, but that's taking this discussion waaaaay off topic.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
              ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

regarding bolded part: YEP.

there were aspects of '200', though, that i greatly enjoyed, but some, like the wizard of oz skit, should have been different to me. and since ben and michael decided to switch roles *to be different*, it would have been neat to see that done with sam/blue girl and vala/sun for the same reasons.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
                  I think ultimately it was because in Vala's head, she's Dorothy. She's the girl caught in the wacky adventure. How accurate you think this is very much a matter of opinion, but for that character to describe it to someone in such a way that would suggest that (which is what she's doing with Martin)...that's what Vala would think

At least AT didn't have to wear the scary gingham outfit for the promos, and although it was a tiny little appearance, looked like the epitome of a beautiful good witch. All white and fluffy in the big dress

...This proves that my fandom is officially bizarre.
                  I actually thought something close to the first paragraph in a PM to someone. Yeah, Vala *would* be the center of attention - and that's what Dorothy was.

Bonus points for the "scary gingham outfit " thought.

Sam still could have been Dorothy - Vala could have been the wicked witch easily enough. And that, along with replacing Mitchell with Jack would have been a nice nod to the time before S9. Which (naturally) is the 'time which must not be named'.

suse
                  Last edited by suse; 18 July 2008, 04:52 PM. Reason: :( Spelling.
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Well, whenever he comes up with ingenious ideas that inspire Sam to save the day. I certainly remember it happening more with him than with Jack, who always pretended to be dense (never was sure how true it was...).
                    And I clearly remember a scene that went kinda like this

Sir, you did it again
                    Yes, off course...How did I do it this time?

I just don't remember which episode.

As for Mitchell being an inspiration...I'm drawing a blank here
                    sigpic

Comment

Jack made comments several times that triggered Sam into the solution.

Except, Vala was proposing the idea because she watched the Wizard of Oz. Probably at a team movie night, at Jack's suggestion. *shrugs* Made perfect sense to me.

Vala has the sense of wonder that Sam doesn't anymore...Sam's too practical to be Dorothy. And, to be fair, Vala never actually whored herself out, just used her sexuality as a tool. Which is something else entirely, no matter what CB said.
                      Heaven forbid Vala not be the center of attention. Remember the S9 ep where she slept with The Sicilian from The Princess Bride for his mother's jewelry? Sex for profit. Sounds like selling herself to me.
                      (<<quivers in fear of Da Noodle. Yes Sky, I'll stop now. This is as far off topic as I go. )

I never said Jack didn't have a brain! Besides, neither did the Scarecrow, he just thought he did. Perfect fit for Jack, who acts like he doesn't have one.
                      While the whole "dumb Jack" thing was taken too far in later seasons, it's pretty canny to make sure your adversary underestimates you.

Actually, I don't think either Jack or Mitchell are good strategists, but that's taking this discussion waaaaay off topic.
                      Yeah, I'll stop here too.

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I volunteer with a local theatre company and we are doing a play in the Fringe Festival. I'm just killing time until our next show but had to mention this Amanda moment.

I was waiting for family to go to a show this afternoon and was checking out the posters for other shows. I started laughing to myself when I saw this title "She rules with IRON STICKS: An exploration into the curious world of baton twirling"

Apparently Amanda is not the star. She used to write for a group called Random Acts didn't she? Did they do the Fringe circuit?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

i've been playing some odd vids on youtube, and one of them is the song 'the impossible dream' from the stage play 'man of la mancha'. that song is awesome and so are the lyrics. when i looked up the lyrics, i realized how they could stand in for the entire of sg1. take a lookie...

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
                          To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
                          To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
                          To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
                          To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
                          To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
                          To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
                          To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
                          No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
                          To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
                          To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
                          That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
                          when I'm laid to my rest ...
                          And the world will be better for this:
                          That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
                          Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,

the lyrics don't do this song justice enough, so here's the link for the vid i've been watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZE4KGB6Wt4

i could see this song being used especially for teal'c, or the sam from 'the way' series.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            Interesting point. They worried so much about offending Atlantis fans when they brought Sam in that they seemed to forget how to write her. I think they'd have done better to have confidence that Sam could win them over by *being Sam.* They knew they wanted AT for the show & imho should have thought through their approach better before they started to write. The show runners had been writing Sam for years, you'd think they'd have a clue. Not to imply it was all bad, but imho it could have been so much better--not only for Sam but for the show. Lots of missed opportunities for new interactions for the ATlantis gang.

As a Sam fan, sure I'd have loved more Sam screen time, but I wanted more than that to see Sam be Sam. And that's something AT even advocated for as time went on.

But as much as I love Sam, I wouldn't want to think TPTB would turn Atlantis into the Sam Show b/c we Demandas launched a campaign.

On SG1 in the later years w/ RDA they tried to appease the S/J fans w/out quite committing & imho it was bad for the show. Even as a devout anti-shipper I'd have rather had them just get together already! than the endless dancing around, forbidden fruit, etc. Even better would have been to be truly innovative and NOT go down that road at all. Imagine, a man and woman who find each other attractive who can work together w/out romantic angst. Silly jckfan.

/ranty ramble
                            Once again we are sharing the same brain! (except I'm a wee bit shippy )

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            great list!!

ok, from the pov of someone that's listented to a lot of them, well through s6 or 7

jim menard is fascinating only if you're a film student. He gives great detail, just not quite the detail your average fan wants to know

the disclosure commentary is worthless. gary jones isn't credited, but he did it with don and the two fo them talk about anything and everything but the episode

peter deluise seems to have an obsession wiht constipated looking jaffa, so his commentary jumps in the gutter at the first opportunity and never gets out...personally, the potty humor gets kinda old kinda fast for me

martin wood's commenary are good, so are amanda's and chris'. never listened to MS's. jim menard's dry commentary gets kinda boring, PdL just gets on my nerves with the potty stuff, joe's are okay, so are paul's - he's pretty quiet.

I can't remember about tichenor's or the other folks'
                            Originally posted by Erin13 View Post
                            Rderoch's list if fabulous. A few things I thought of too, Damian Kindler isn't too bad as far as commentaries go. He can be pretty fun and has the writer's angle plus goes into the actors pov sometimes. He's on Ethon, Chimera, Forsaken and a couple others I think. Also the two Michael Shanks did with Martin Woods were good! Hope these help!
                            Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            I think it's Pete Woeste who does a nice balance of tech stuff and talking about the actors' performances.

PDL and his potty humor --bleh-though he's kin dof fun with AT. YOu know one thing about PDL, though. I think he really liked the show and didn't get "jaded." And as an actor himself, when you can get him off the pot, so to speak, he does talk about performances.

Best commentaries are Amanda and Martin. Michael is also very good. Chris is good but needs to speak up more (especially on AOT).

I also liked Damian, Joe, Paul and Andy Mikita. Thought Andy/Damian was a good combo on the episode where Sam fixes the crashed alien ship.

PDL can be funny but too often resorts to potty humour and repeats the same potty humour over and over. Gary Jones and PDL were very bad at actually commenting on the episode.

I agree Jim M was too technical and I found Peter W to be OK but also too technical. I did like James T. I liked RCC on Lost City but have disliked his recent commentaries on Unending and AOT.

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                            Wow, am I the only one here who lives in Canada? I hope you guys can come to Canada, it's cold, but Amanda makes it right . It's odd now that I think about it, I live in Canada with Amanda, but I'll never get a chance to meet her . While you guys live all over the world, and you guys travel to CC, the AT's and other cons Amanda may go to . All well, as long as you guys get to meet her and you're all happy, and she's happy, it's all good.

Nope. Mandy, Ames and I are with ya. I may live in Canada but I had to go to London to see Amanda (and I don't mean Ontario).

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              i've been playing some odd vids on youtube, and one of them is the song 'the impossible dream' from the stage play 'man of la mancha'. that song is awesome and so are the lyrics. when i looked up the lyrics, i realized how they could stand in for the entire of sg1. take a lookie...

Spoiler:
                              To dream ... the impossible dream ...
                              To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
                              To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
                              To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
                              To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
                              To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
                              To try ... when your arms are too weary ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
                              No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
                              To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
                              To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
                              That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
                              when I'm laid to my rest ...
                              And the world will be better for this:
                              That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
                              Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,

the lyrics don't do this song justice enough, so here's the link for the vid i've been watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZE4KGB6Wt4

i could see this song being used especially for teal'c, or the sam from 'the way' series.

sally
                              Now that's song's been around a....*cough*..long..*cough* time. I'm about to date myself and most of the 'kids' on this thread will not even know who I'm talking about but I used to listen to Ed Ames sing that song on my Mom's 75's..."albums". Yes, vinyl...LP's... She still has them too... Ha It's a great song!
                              sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

And I clearly remember a scene that went kinda like this

Sir, you did it again
                                Yes, off course...How did I do it this time?

I just don't remember which episode.

As for Mitchell being an inspiration...I'm drawing a blank here
                                Mitchell...Unending, for one, Avalon for another. And he was actively trying to help. I can only remember one time for Jack that was similar, all the others were inadvertant.

Heaven forbid Vala not be the center of attention. Remember the S9 ep where she slept with The Sicilian from The Princess Bride for his mother's jewelry? Sex for profit. Sounds like selling herself to me.
                                You do know that the producers never meant that scene to be meant literally, right? That there was a deleted scene that explained in detail that Vala had only tricked him into thinking they had sex? Like her comment about her and Daniel having sex in Avalon and him being the father of her child, we were never supposed to think that she was actually a slut. She's way more talk than action, about everything in her life.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                                ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Working...
                                X