Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
    Now that would have been a fun essay to do at school *g*

Mind you...one of my bits of english coursework at school was on Star Trek...wish Stargate had been on when I'd been at school...you have been awesome to work it into coursework *g*
    One of my English Lit pieces of coursework was done on three of the ST:NG books. They were all written by the same author peter david I think...

Mind you I got an A in english Language mostly in thanks to a rather epic Robocop fan fic. mind you at the time I didn't actually know it was fan fic but it did show my continuing tendancy for epics.

Becks

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      as to selmac, symciotes have no gender...thus the snake is both she and he...or rather neither.

saroosh thought of selmac as a she, jacob, after a while, thought of selmac as a he. Personally? i always thought of her as a she, but that's just me
      I kinda go for 'it' too, I think the symbiote is neither and I consider gender to be a social construct to some degree and the Goa'uld and Tok'ra are such a different culture that to place our ideas of male and female onto them would only create inaccuracies.

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
      One of my English Lit pieces of coursework was done on three of the ST:NG books. They were all written by the same author peter david I think...

Mind you I got an A in english Language mostly in thanks to a rather epic Robocop fan fic. mind you at the time I didn't actually know it was fan fic but it did show my continuing tendancy for epics.

Becks
      Very very cool
      sigpic
      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
        The way I understood it, was that the Tok'ra have no specific gender but rather take on the gender of the host...so while Selmak had been female with Saroosh, he/she was regarded male when Jacob became host...there...not too confusing after all....is it?? Or did I just make matters worse?? Maybe I should shut up and let someone with some intelligence speak...whoops!!:O

Yay!! But...did we really need one???...I'm sure there are better themes out there than this!!

Where is everyone???
        That's the way I always understood the Tok'ra symbiotes as well. They were genderless, but often took on the gender of their host.

However, the Gou'ald came across as somewhat different to me. It appeared to me that the Gou'ald preferred certain genders and choose their host accordingly. Like with Sarah/Osiris, in mythology Osiris was a male god and in The Curse/The Summit it was suggested that Osiris was male and Isis was his female consort, but they also suggested that Osiris' choosing of a female host was a bit out of the ordinary which would suggest to me that Osiris may have always chosen a male host in the past.

OSIRIS: Osiris serves no one. You, least of all.
        ZIPACNA: You once served Isis.
        OSIRIS: She was my queen. She served me.
        ZIPACNA: Interesting. Interesting that you now choose a female host. A most attractive one at that.

Perhaps symbiotes really weren't genderless at all; however over the centuries, environment and the fact that the Tok'ra had no Queen caused them to become a genderless race in order to survive. Since they refused to take a host by force, the sex of the host probably became less important to them -- thus making them appear genderless.
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 05 October 2007, 05:50 AM.

Comment

i'm sure also, in the goa'uld 'dominate the universe' philosophy, inhabiting a male likely served them better given how the writers place human gender issues upon the alien goa'ulds.

ie: if you want to take over the galaxy, do it as a male, not a female since a male will be taken more seriously
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
            That's the way I always understood the Tok'ra symbiotes as well. They were genderless, but often took on the gender of their host.

However, the Gou'ald came across as somewhat different to me. It appeared to me that the Gou'ald preferred certain genders and choose their host accordingly. Like with Sarah/Osiris, in mythology Osiris was a male god and in The Curse/The Summit it was suggested that Osiris was male and Isis was his female consort, but they also suggested that Osiris' choosing of a female host was a bit out of the ordinary which would suggest to me that Osiris may have always chosen a male host in the past.

ZIPACNA: Interesting. Interesting that you now choose a female host. A most attractive one at that.

Perhaps symbiotes really weren't genderless at all; however over the centuries, environment and the fact that the Tok'ra had no Queen caused them to become a genderless race in order to survive. Since they refused to take a host by force, the sex of the host probably became less important to them -- thus making them appear genderless.
            Maybe there's an element of personal preference without it being that the symtiotes have a gender? Like...a balance between factors the symbiote considers important, physical prowess, pysical beauty, significance etc....so a symbiote could prefer one of the genders over the other based on what they considered important without the symbiote being that gender.

i'm sure also, in the goa'uld 'dominate the universe' philosophy, inhabiting a male likely served them better given how the writers place human gender issues upon the alien goa'ulds.

ie: if you want to take over the galaxy, do it as a male, not a female since a male will be taken more seriously
            Which would then, in all likelihood, become self perpetuating...
            sigpic
            My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by General David Niemi View Post
              Thanks. Now Lets get back on topic.

Umm... How do you feel we can improve Tappination in the world?
              Like Miss America contestants: If I become Miss America I will spread Tappination throughout the world!

An 80s song popped into my head. I think it was something like "keep feeling fascination"--how about making it "keep feeling Tappination" ?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                Like Miss America contestants: If I become Miss America I will spread Tappination throughout the world!

An 80s song popped into my head. I think it was something like "keep feeling fascination"--how about making it "keep feeling Tappination" ?
                Do it! Go into the Miss America pagent and say it.

Comment

Originally posted by General David Niemi View Post
                  Thanks. Now Lets get back on topic.

Umm... How do you feel we can improve Tappination in the world?

I sound like a teacher. *Shudders*
                  You say that like sounding like a teacher is a bad thing. Believe me, my teacher voice is a thing of wonder which can only be approximated, never imitated, without practice, and my leadership skills rival those of members of Congress.

Go watch this vid. Don't argue; just do it. You'll learn something about weaponless Tappination in the process.

Even a general needs a lesson from time to time.
                  sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                  May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                    You say that like sounding like a teacher is a bad thing. Believe me, my teacher voice is a thing of wonder which can only be approximated, never imitated, without practice, and my leadership skills rival those of members of Congress.

Go watch this vid. Don't argue; just do it. You'll learn something about weaponless Tappination in the process.

Awesome video! I have already sent it to my mother and brother who're a teacher and a trainee teacher respectively

go Tappination!
                    sigpic
                    My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      *Alan flicks through pages of Radio Times* Lets see...lets see...Ah ha! Through the Eyes of a Killer! Your bang on the money there, chelle db!

I didn't see all the movie but what I saw looked pretty good. RDA was crazy in it but I didn't know why (although has he ever need a reason to be crazy in anything before?)!

Given the fact that Sky repeat programs and movies ad nausea, I'm sure I'll be able to catch if from the beginning again soon.
                      It is a very good example of his acting completely out of character for RDA. It's a pretty scary film (IMO) and he plays the psycho very well. Another film in which he plays a nasty character is "Beyond Belief". He plays a wife-abusing cop in that.

Kay aka Mumsey
                      Who has copies of both films if you want one (Region 2)
                      For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                        The way I understood it, was that the Tok'ra have no specific gender but rather take on the gender of the host...so while Selmak had been female with Saroosh, he/she was regarded male when Jacob became host...there...not too confusing after all....is it?? Or did I just make matters worse?? Maybe I should shut up and let someone with some intelligence speak...whoops!!:O

Yay!! But...did we really need one???...I'm sure there are better themes out there than this!!

Where is everyone???
                        as to selmac, symciotes have no gender...thus the snake is both she and he...or rather neither.

saroosh thought of selmac as a she, jacob, after a while, thought of selmac as a he. Personally? i always thought of her as a she, but that's just me
                        Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                        I kinda go for 'it' too, I think the symbiote is neither and I consider gender to be a social construct to some degree and the Goa'uld and Tok'ra are such a different culture that to place our ideas of male and female onto them would only create inaccuracies.
                        Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post

Wow guys. Thanks for clearing that up for me...and so nicely as well. All I can honestly say to all this is that after watching Sg1 for 6 yrs I've definitely learned something new about the series. *slinks off*

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post

Great vid! I have two brothers, two sisters-in-law, and an uncle who are all teachers and would greatly appreciate seeing this. Thanks for sharing it...and woo for total Tappination!
                        Last edited by Celandine; 05 October 2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

More promo pics from season 4
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=395

Comment

also, a picture of Amanda and David Nykl (Zelenka) from his blog

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                              also, a picture of Amanda and David Nykl (Zelenka) from his blog
                              He's like a big fangurl! Fangurling her! *sigh*
                              sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                              "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
                              My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Ooooh, Yay!.... is it 9pm yet??? I can go watch Amanda Tappinate something in the Pegasus galaxy then....

Yeah that didn't work so well..... I tried....
                                sigpic
                                awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Working...
                                X