Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    in my interpretation of sam, i see her seeking refuge in studies after her mother's death, and likely as a way to escape from jacob and mark's issues, along with finding a way to redeem herself in her daddy's eyes....by getting good grades.

given how she's acted in social situations on the show, i think it's a skill that she's acquired in the course of her job, and in doing time at the pentagon, but i don't think she's a party animal. I think she's skilled at social situations simply because she was likely the defacto hostess for anything jacob hosted.

In other words, i think her socialization skills are something she's learned because she's needed to know it, but probably not something that she necessarily enjoys doing. she probaly doesn't like parties as much as she likes spending time with her friends
    This actually seems to be quite plausible, and it makes sense. That thing with her mother would've meant that she'd lost her only female role model at such a young age and being an intelligent perhaps books and studying became a refuge for her from everything outside herself.

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    I love this image. LOL.

That's impossible, Sally. Everybody who watches sci-fi knows
    Spoiler:
    there are no toilets on starships.
    If you look closely, you'll notice that Starship Captain's always cross their legs when they sit down. Bless 'em.

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
    Definitely. I see Sam as somebody who would never be content with 99%. She'd always strive for 100%.
    I could see her always wanting more than possible, say 110%, always striving to be able to push her own limits and the boundaries set by others.

Originally posted by tagger View Post
    100%!!

On a completely different note, I wonder if the little boy in the sanctuary thingy is Amandas' characters' son?
    Or, a boy she takes into the Sanctuary and protects. Probably a special boy, whose evil or a little twisted.

Wendy
    Hugs
    sigpic
    Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Oh, I've read that one, tis great. Thanks C7

While I'm at it - Rachel's "Goddesses" is probably one of the best stargate stories I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Ever. Did I mention Ever? It just showed up on ff.net.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3375445/1/

So fantastic. Such Carter goodness. And Weir goodness too! Insanely intelligent plot. Wicked character interaction. Better than on television, I'm not kidding. We should rec it on the "Tapping Gates to Atlantis" thread...

mg
      Absolutely not. You see, unlike much of the television we've been seeing prior to recent episodes, Rachel writes character-driven stories. You'll be caught up in the action which is *driven* by the characters, and not the other way around. The story itself requires no knowledge of either series to make sense and resonate. It's fantastic overall. If you ask me.
      Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
      Thanks for the Goddesses fic rec.
      (((Rachel))) I love it!
      Wow. Blushing. I was just stopping by myself to drop off the link....

Thank you!
      sigpic
      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
        <snipped>
        You know what's sad though? This is a quote from Jo Mallozzi's latest blog (I know, not strictly SG-1, but I think it's still revealing).

"On the Stargate front, I’m almost finished my rewrite of Reunion and am, admittedly, a little worried. While the script offers plenty of action, it is primarily a character-driven story. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of notes we receive from the network."

How much does it suck that the writers have to be continually worrying about some kind of action quota? Sure, I love the action... but does every single episode need tonnes of it at the expense of character development?
        I read that too on the GW article and thought it was a bit sad. If the network is demanding more action at the expense of character development, I think they're missing the point of what actually makes a show popular with the majority of an audience...

Still, I also sometimes think that some of the scripts which are deemed 'character-driven' are not. They only have sweet, fluffy moments between the characters but which don't add any character development or drive the story.

A good Stargate story, IMO, will have great character moments but ones that add depth and development, and help drive the action of the story. I loved SGA's Tao of Rodney, for instance, which was a character driven story but had lovely moments between the characters and plenty of action.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        the shroud

Spoiler:
        so no one has told me yet if sam really was in command of the oddessey. i really want to know.

sally
        Sally

Shroud spoilers
        Spoiler:

Sam was shown in the CO central chair and giving orders hence she was shown to be in command of the Odyssey at that moment.

If you mean was she officially shown as the Odyssey's new commanding officer as an official assignment...unknown but unlikely at this point given she's still on SG1...
        sigpic
        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          Whoa there, no thwapping of the queen. "Security Team!" "Agent Dark! Strix! 1speed!"
          I'm innocent, I tell you, innocent. I thwapped Suse, not Amanda.
          And Suse deserved it!

Suse...phooey on youeey.

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
          Ooo! Oooo! Who do I get to beat up have my way with arrest? This rabble rouser, scifithinker?
          Ya gotta catch me first. *runs away*

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          Oooh Strix, use the wet socks on her...I know that will work
          Now that's just icky squishy.

Wet Socks + Crazy Samandans = The New Doohickey
          That's right, divert attention onto Mandy.

We want a sequel, Mandy!

Nice job, GG. I owe you one.
          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

***wonders if the true genius is the one who didn't do the test***
            Originally posted by stargate barbie View Post
            *is jealous of those who had the sense not to get caught up in the madness*
            Originally posted by MajorSam View Post
            WOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!!

*doing crazy mad party dance*

I GOT 33/33 ON THE FIRST TEST!!!!

Granted by the end I had 3 other people in the room with me...

but WOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, this is a sure-fire way to waste away a Saturday Night :| I've got 13/24 on the second one...

EDIT: 15/24 on the second test! I just got number 21... ABSURD! HOLY CRAP!

Must... Get....Them ALL!! *evil cackel*

Oh dear I fear I'm going insane :|
            I'm not taking a test where I can't find out the answers once I'm done. Especially since at least one question has to do with cricket the sport. My crickets chirp. They don't do things with sticky wickets.

My life has enough insanity in it, thank you very much. Insanity like not being able to get on GW last night when I could have actually joined in while you fine folks were actually having the discussion. (Those pesky error messages are so depressing.)
            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
              I'm not taking a test where I can't find out the answers once I'm done. Especially since at least one question has to do with cricket the sport. My crickets chirp. They don't do things with sticky wickets.

My life has enough insanity in it, thank you very much. Insanity like not being able to get on GW last night when I could have actually joined in while you fine folks were actually having the discussion. (Those pesky error messages are so depressing.)
              You can find the answers. I know someone here mentioned they typed a word into google and the answer page popped up.

I'm sorry to hear about the error messages, I've had those before they annoy the hell out of me, especially when I haven't been on in a while and then - BOOM- I can't get on anyway. *shakes fist* At least you're on now.

Wendy
              Hugs
              sigpic
              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Happy Birthday JanSam

Oooh, it looks like you may have had too many blue jello shooters
                Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                We polar bears do love the blue jello, don't we?
                Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                Maybe ......

a bit too much ????

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!
                sigpic

Comment

I didn't realize that! Mandy has come through for us! That was our sequel to Doohickeys and Doodads. Of course, I doubt very much that Mandy gave us the sequel on purpose, but that's o.k.
                  Of course she is going to give us a sequel...right Mandy...right...
                  If not I know some Pinguins who are good in stalking

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                  100%!!

On a completely different note, I wonder if the little boy in the sanctuary thingy is Amandas' characters' son?
                  I like that idea... Althouh I still hope she will be evil...but not evil evil but more like evil with a good side in it...And maybe the son is some kind of concience for her...who knows eh...
                  I only hope to see some character based moments a lot...Cause that is what I love to see...And Amanda is just amazing in it.
                  But whatever it is Amanda will do great cause she is a great actress...

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    Maybe ......

a bit too much ????

Oh, I get it ! Here I thought he was mooning us

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!
                      As long as it's BLUE jelloshots...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                        Of course she is going to give us a sequel...right Mandy...right...
                        If not I know some Pinguins who are good in stalking
                        Poor Mandy...

Spoiler:
                        sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday JanSam!!!

Comment

Many thanks for all my Birthday wishes whilst I was away - 1speed passed them on to me!!

Comment

So does anyone know what has been put up on the Sanctuary web site? I couldn't download anything on my dial up machine!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley View Post
                                So does anyone know what has been put up on the Sanctuary web site? I couldn't download anything on my dial up machine!!
                                You're back! Welcome home and hope the week was fun and productive!

You're not missing much regarding Sanctuary ... there is only a promo banner with Amanda in the middle as a brunette ... you'll find lots of copies right here on the thread! We're all waiting for more info. Holding pattern.

Will email you soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X