Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey, in noodling around the net i found this

http://www.medalofhonor.com/PappyBoyington.htm

anyone remember the show baa, baa black sheep??? Pappy Boyington??/ he won one. for shooting down 28 japanese planes and spending 20 months as a POW.

this site has a ton of info
    http://www.medalofhonor.com/

3409 people have gotten the medals, 19 of them twice. only 134 recipients are still alive (kinda tells you the honor of it all....most of them are given post-humously)

In their provisions for judging whether a man is entitled to the Medal of Honor, each of the armed services has set up regulations which permit no margin of doubt or error. The deed of the person must be proved by incontestable evidence of at least two eyewitnesses; it must be so outstanding that it clearly distinguishes his gallantry beyond the call of duty from lesser forms of bravery; it must involve the risk of his life; and it must be of the type of deed which, if he had not done it, would not subject him to any justified criticism.

and this line - taken out of context - just makes me laugh

At the behest of distant relatives, Members of Congress and President Carter contacted the Department of Defense on the matter.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        for me, thinking back to my school days, the best way to write an essay is to 'give a speech'...pretend that you're lecturing someone on that very same topic. do it a few times so that you can work out what you're gonna say. use that to get the basic topic and points down, and then write

in a lot of ways that's how i write dialogue for my fic. while i'm driving, i'll have the convo between the characters, go back and forth adn work things out, then sit down and actually write it
        Funnily enough, at the university I'm at, I find a lot of people have the opposite problem. I'm the university debating coach now (About bloody time! I was doing the job anyway, just without the title). I teach people that they should give a speech like they would write an essay, with an argument developing over three main points, a little rebuttle and an introduction and conclusion. Once you think of it like that, you're fine.

The problem was my German students when I taught English in Germany. I tried to teach them to debate like that, but they didn't know how to write an essay properly!
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
          TJ- your going to get your self in trouble only joking- honest. I think my problem with work at the moment is that I'm only 2 months away from graduating with my degree and I'm at the stage where I wish I was graduating right now because I'm kinda fed up of writing essays, especially after 3 years and being so close to finishing. I go through this stage sometimes where everything else on the face of the planet seems like a better idea than writing my essays- even cleaning my bedroom, my room is now spotless. Can you believe I'm going back next year to do my masters - woohoo more essays I do actually like university- like I said just a stage I'm going through. And dont worry I know I'm weird. I think I'm going to watch foothold cause I think it was a great episode for sam- she saves the day again, our very own superwoman
          First of all, thanks Lys and Mandy for backing me up. The reason for it is that I'm pretty sure my French tutor (who is also a Stargate fan) occasionally lurks here on Samanda. He has referenced a few "in" jokes.

Sci Fi Girl... you think you've got it bad? I assume you're on a three year degree? I'm coming to the end of my four year degree. My essay writing has got to the stage where I'll research and write the essay the night/morning it's due in. The thing is that it's all about jumping through hoops. Just copy out what other people have written, reference it, link it up to make it look pretty and then ta-da you have yourself a 2:1. I still have a PGCE to do next year. I was going to do a masters in applied linguistic studies, but decided to wait a few years before doing a masters in applied linguistic studies for teaching purposes. Yes. I'm going to be in the education system for life. Long days, marking, detentions, sleepless nights and abuse from both homicidal teenagers and their parents... why am I going to do this? Because it's what I love, and it's what I've wanted to do since I was seven. I miss teaching so damn much.

Comment

owww! you guys - I just got whiplash. I thought I was in the Cameron thread for a moment there - please do not confuse scari! I have been known to post in the wrong thread because I've got my browser tabs confused, and you are not helping!
            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
              owww! you guys - I just got whiplash. I thought I was in the Cameron thread for a moment there - please do not confuse scari! I have been known to post in the wrong thread because I've got my browser tabs confused, and you are not helping!
              Subtle, Scari ... very subtle.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                Well, I'm going to be the sod who casts a lone, insignificant vote for Secrets. Despite how freakin' awesome both In the Line of Duty and Matter of Time truly are, I think that Secrets is the episode that reveals the most about Sam as a person. And Amanda Tapping and Carmen Argenziano just do so much with so little in that one. With just a couple of scenes you get a complete picture of Carter's past relationship with Jacob, no "filling in the gaps" necessary. They just drop in an entire previously unexplored facet of Sam's character with ease and grace, leaving you wanting more. And you just know more is coming, too. That's how you get people excited and interested in a character. I'll take Sam crying alone in a room over explosions, space ships, and hot alien sex of the week any day. Top that off with Carter shaking it off, not letting it affect her behavior in the subsequent battle with Heru'ur ("bad day" aside), and you've got a real winner of an episode.
                Compare what she did as a Captain to what Mitchell did as a Lt. Col. Gotta love Sam's professionalism.

Yes, I'm 5 days behind. You guys talk too much!

Suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  Yes, and I think Mandy was sort of saying that too. I don't think she disagrees (she can correct me if I'm wrong in saying that, but I don't think I am ). I don't think she disagrees with that at all, and from what she wrote, I think she actually made a really great point as well.

The automatic, immediate physical attraction is a part of the equasion (but perhaps a smaller part) than what really ends up becoming the primary attractive factor.

By that I mean, for a lot of women (including the amazingly intelligent, albeit fabulously fictitious Sam Carter), the primary attractive quality we look for in a partner stems from our ability to respect that person; to laugh with them (and occassionaly at them), and to have a meaningful dlalogue (verbal or non verbal ) with them.

Hence, women are often stereotyped as being "emotionally older" than men of the exact same age. I say stereotyped because it's absolutely not a universal truth. It is, however, a general status quo.

So women (in general) who find themselves attracted to a man, quite often find themselves attracted to an "older" man as a result. Whether that's 5 years or 15 years. As we grow older, the lines of "age" begin to blur a lot more. As in, they matter less and less.

What I got from what Mandy was saying, was that - while initially she saw an automatic social taboo (older man and a much younger women), she very quickly began to get to know the characters (as 'people'), and therein lay the REAL foundation for what the attraction between Sam and Jack is really about. Sam Carter is not about model-quality-gorgeousness in her guys (See: Pete Shanahan <ahem>); she is, however, all about the stuff beneath.

I'm not saying RDA (and by extension Jack O'Neill) isn't, to borrow a phrase from AD "Teh Hawt" , because he IS. Just as much as Sam is. But I am saying that from a female POV revolving around attraction, I think a lot of Jack's "sex appeal" does stem from his personality. Both the actor, and the character he plays.

That's what Mandy was (I think) trying to illustrate with her point, too. She didn't see it until she could feel it. Until she got to know the characters. And the same thing is (I think) very true for Sam Carter as well.

All the (so-called) initial "attraction" Carter felt for O'Neill - which some might argue was a "first sight" sort of thing - did stem from both her homework on his background (prior to meeting him) and the very telling tete-a-tete they had as a first conversation. The immedate attraction there (to my mind) was always far more firmly rooted in their personalities than it was in their physicalities. I think the physicality of it was there, and was probably amplified and multipled a few hundred times because of the emotional/interpersonal connection that sparked between. Which, of course, went on to grow into something a great deal more.

As an aside, I also think Jack's backstory (coupled with his SG-1 canon story) proves he's always been a sucker for smart women, too. He tends to find himself attracted to the kind of women who can stand up to him, or point out when he's being an idiot; and who'll have no compunction about calling him on it (see Sara, Kerry, Sam...).

That's one of the reasons I always rationalized his so-called loyalty to Laira in "100 Days" as being far more a product of his own internal guilt (for giving in and promising her something out of a need to find solid footing and move forward), than it ever was of his actual "love" for her. Jack doesn't make promises lightly, he feels things deeply, especially his own guilt (much like Sam again), and therefore tends to end up caring about the people near him - a lot more than he'd ever want to admit to. I'm saying he's got a heart as big as all outdoors locked up inside of him, and since Sam's pretty damn perceptive, I also think that's yet another reason she fell for him as hard as she did.

So, yeah.... that's Sam (with a side order of Jack) - to me.

minigeek
                  Yep that's exactly what I meant
                  thanks for helping me extract my foot from my mouth mini
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    First of all, thanks Lys and Mandy for backing me up. The reason for it is that I'm pretty sure my French tutor (who is also a Stargate fan) occasionally lurks here on Samanda. He has referenced a few "in" jokes.

Sci Fi Girl... you think you've got it bad? I assume you're on a three year degree? I'm coming to the end of my four year degree. My essay writing has got to the stage where I'll research and write the essay the night/morning it's due in. The thing is that it's all about jumping through hoops. Just copy out what other people have written, reference it, link it up to make it look pretty and then ta-da you have yourself a 2:1. I still have a PGCE to do next year. I was going to do a masters in applied linguistic studies, but decided to wait a few years before doing a masters in applied linguistic studies for teaching purposes. Yes. I'm going to be in the education system for life. Long days, marking, detentions, sleepless nights and abuse from both homicidal teenagers and their parents... why am I going to do this? Because it's what I love, and it's what I've wanted to do since I was seven. I miss teaching so damn much.
                    Ahh (((TJ))) so now we know you come to Samanda to avoid the abuse
                    (hehehe yea right, like that's going to happen )
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      Ahh (((TJ))) so now we know you come to Samanda to avoid the abuse
                      (hehehe yea right, like that's going to happen )
                      Quiet, or I'll put you in detention

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        Yes, and I think Mandy was sort of saying that too. I don't think she disagrees (she can correct me if I'm wrong in saying that, but I don't think I am ). I don't think she disagrees with that at all, and from what she wrote, I think she actually made a really great point as well.

The automatic, immediate physical attraction is a part of the equasion (but perhaps a smaller part) than what really ends up becoming the primary attractive factor.

By that I mean, for a lot of women (including the amazingly intelligent, albeit fabulously fictitious Sam Carter), the primary attractive quality we look for in a partner stems from our ability to respect that person; to laugh with them (and occassionaly at them), and to have a meaningful dlalogue (verbal or non verbal ) with them.

Hence, women are often stereotyped as being "emotionally older" than men of the exact same age. I say stereotyped because it's absolutely not a universal truth. It is, however, a general status quo.

So women (in general) who find themselves attracted to a man, quite often find themselves attracted to an "older" man as a result. Whether that's 5 years or 15 years. As we grow older, the lines of "age" begin to blur a lot more. As in, they matter less and less.

What I got from what Mandy was saying, was that - while initially she saw an automatic social taboo (older man and a much younger women), she very quickly began to get to know the characters (as 'people'), and therein lay the REAL foundation for what the attraction between Sam and Jack is really about. Sam Carter is not about model-quality-gorgeousness in her guys (See: Pete Shanahan <ahem>); she is, however, all about the stuff beneath.

I'm not saying RDA (and by extension Jack O'Neill) isn't, to borrow a phrase from AD "Teh Hawt" , because he IS. Just as much as Sam is. But I am saying that from a female POV revolving around attraction, I think a lot of Jack's "sex appeal" does stem from his personality. Both the actor, and the character he plays.

That's what Mandy was (I think) trying to illustrate with her point, too. She didn't see it until she could feel it. Until she got to know the characters. And the same thing is (I think) very true for Sam Carter as well.

All the (so-called) initial "attraction" Carter felt for O'Neill - which some might argue was a "first sight" sort of thing - did stem from both her homework on his background (prior to meeting him) and the very telling tete-a-tete they had as a first conversation. The immedate attraction there (to my mind) was always far more firmly rooted in their personalities than it was in their physicalities. I think the physicality of it was there, and was probably amplified and multipled a few hundred times because of the emotional/interpersonal connection that sparked between. Which, of course, went on to grow into something a great deal more.

As an aside, I also think Jack's backstory (coupled with his SG-1 canon story) proves he's always been a sucker for smart women, too. He tends to find himself attracted to the kind of women who can stand up to him, or point out when he's being an idiot; and who'll have no compunction about calling him on it (see Sara, Kerry, Sam...).

That's one of the reasons I always rationalized his so-called loyalty to Laira in "100 Days" as being far more a product of his own internal guilt (for giving in and promising her something out of a need to find solid footing and move forward), than it ever was of his actual "love" for her. Jack doesn't make promises lightly, he feels things deeply, especially his own guilt (much like Sam again), and therefore tends to end up caring about the people near him - a lot more than he'd ever want to admit to. I'm saying he's got a heart as big as all outdoors locked up inside of him, and since Sam's pretty damn perceptive, I also think that's yet another reason she fell for him as hard as she did.

So, yeah.... that's Sam (with a side order of Jack) - to me.

minigeek
                        This is exactly the way I saw/see it. This is a great post and so well explained and rationalised - I'm out of green for you though!!

Comment

Rising is on Sky, so I'll check the whole ad thing. Wow, this is really odd. Just... it has a really epic feel to it, the opening at least. I kinda miss that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            Quiet, or I'll put you in detention
                            That was so dommy, TJ
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by &#220;berSG-1Fan
                              So I was reading some of the comments here about Sam not getting the recognition and awards she deserves.

I tend to agree.

Here's a little remedy to the situation...Oooober!style:

What...too much?

I mean I can tone it down a hair if I've over done anything.

Just...you know...let me know.

Jack: For crying out loud, Carter. Don't you think you're taking a tad too much notice of those "Samandans"? They're not real, you know, they're just fictitious characters from cyberspace...

Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 12 April 2006, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Right. In a little experiment, I watched the adverts for Atlantis, and here are the results:

Ad Break One: Carol Vorderman's brain game (TV show), decking paint, poly filler, Asda (supermarket), baby oil, light reactive glasses, mobile phone network, Tristan and Isolde (film), convertable car, Sky Movies Easter advert,

Ad Break Two: Thief (new drama series), cereal bar (but did feature Bill Shatner), Tesco (supermarket), women's magazine, spreadable cheese, Tesco, sanitary towels, fish, Tesco, Sugar Free Mints

Ad Break Three: Vroom Vroom car show, Hitch the Date Doctor, washing up liquid, Tesco, Homebase sale (diy store), ice cream (very female orientated advert), SUV wehicle, Tesco, car Tyres and Exhausts, Tesco

So, I don't know about you guys, but I'd say that it was very much aimed at the 30 year old woman.

Comment

Working...
                                X