Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    On the head gear theme, I think it's interesting to refer back to the Prodigy audio commentary. I seem to remember quite a lot of talk about hats and how certain directors don't like them.
    Yes, that was PdL mocking the 'burgerking' women's aviator cap. Frankly, although I agree with him about their unappealingness, I thought that was the stupidest reason I've ever heard to re-setup a scene. Maybe next they can find a way to get rid of those ugly, clunky, combat boots the USAF seems to favour.

Anyway, I went through screencaps of S8 and S7 and found that Carter's lack of cover was a Lost City and S8 thing -- specifically the 'vaseline lens', post-Icon era. Notably, O'Neill rarely, if ever, lacked a hat. I think I didn't remember this because: 1) I've only seen the vast majority of those eps once, and 2) the cast spent the majority of most S8 eps indoors or on Earth, so it was rare to see Carter in a cover-requring situation. I didn't look closely at Daniel because I am unable to comprehend his pseudo-civilian, pseudo-soldier status; i.e., I gave up awhile ago trying to figure out what rules, regs, or protocol should apply to him. Nevertheless, the handgun and no-cap in SH still looked goofy to me.

Hmmm... I wonder if the vaseline and naked head subconsciously contributed to my dissatisfaction with that season.

Comment

Wow had to go looking for this thread on the second page!
      Sam's still a great character in my book and i would love to see Amanda in an off shoot of Stargate leading her very own team of science geeks come kick ass soldiers! Oh and Mackay comes and visits every now and then as i just love the sparks between them both. (not the romantic sort)
      ......TARA......

Comment

Hi Everyone, i watched stronghold and it was great having sam lead the team.
        I probably give the episode 8.5/10

I have to disagree strongly about SG1 and BSG. For me, Even though i think SG1 has dropped a bit in quality in Season 9, The Very Best Episodes of Battlestar Galactica are the normal episodes of SG1 for me, And the normal episodes of BSG are below the average SG1 Episode. This is not a bashing of BSG, i watch the show every week and look forward to the next one (Love Starbuck!) and definately call myself a fan. But even though they try hard with the characters and to develop them, I dont feel they are anywhere near as deep as SG1 in the beginning, and honestly i dont think that they are any better than the new SG1 and Atlantis Characters now (though i do feel on a whole they are very good characters). The Stories are good but also not as intersting for me either, and i dont see them as any deeper, and definately not as enjoyable - although i did love the recent episodes plot - Peagasus and the 2 following. I Like that the series is dark, but at times i think that they do things just because they want darkness and to be the latest trend and revolutionary though others show have done what the are doing. I feel that they take alot from Deep Space Nine but maybe thats just me.

I am not some Crazy Stargate Fan (okay i am...shoot me) trying to irationally defend SG1, i do believe this. I know Stagate isn't perfect. Sometimes i feel SG1 could take a page out of the Deep Space Nine book in terms of its characterisations and there handling of main plots and story arcs. So i Definately dont feel SG1 is perfect because its not, but i still believe it is the best even now- maybe DS9 would tie it.

I hope i dont offend anyone, because i do enjoy BSG alot. But i thought i may aswell join in and say my piece, probably should more often

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
          Yes, that was PdL mocking the 'burgerking' women's aviator cap. Frankly, although I agree with him about their unappealingness, I thought that was the stupidest reason I've ever heard to re-setup a scene. Maybe next they can find a way to get rid of those ugly, clunky, combat boots the USAF seems to favour.
          but, but, but... I LIKE the garrison cover! It's... historic (inherited from the US Army, whence the US Air Force comes), and functional, in that it does the hat thing as well as a hat can (it stays on the head, that is LOL!) and it folds and rolls neatly to be pocketed when it isn't doing the hat thing. It's an example of a highly functional design, and it looks better / dressier than the kepi-style cover, IMO, too. And, if I may be allowed a terribly girly moment , I really like the color contrast and the shape on Sam with her blonde hair. It looks good, and Sam, especially looks good in it. I'd like to see her in garrison uniform more often on Earth, including the garrison cover.
          ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            In Stronghold,
            Spoiler:
            did anyone else notice that Carter and Daniel were launching their assault through the Stargate and engaging the enemy without proper headgear? No helmets at all! Again, is there still a USAF advisor about?

My thought was that they wanted to make sure that Sam and Daniel were recognizable among all the extra soldiers running about but I did not like the fact that they weren't properly outfitted for combat. I'm not sure ... did they at least have their protective vests on?
            yeah, that lack is another nitpick. everyone should have one on, especially sam wtih her light colored hair. she might as well have a 'shoot me' beacon on her head
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              yeah, that lack is another nitpick. everyone should have one on, especially sam wtih her light colored hair. she might as well have a 'shoot me' beacon on her head
              They've gone without helmets before. But they have, to my knowledge, had some type of headgear. In Heroes, both Sam and Jack wore caps, while everyone else in that battle (excluding T & Daniel) wore helmets.
              sigpic

Comment

I have updated my Ultimate List of Sam-Whumping Stories with 14 more stories:
                http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/whumping.htm
                Last edited by Strix varia; 30 January 2006, 07:09 AM.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  :::GASP:::: And cover up her gorgeous HAIR?!! Beauty before longevity, I always say.

mini(pass the botox)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Samandan News Flash

The kingdom is in a dither about the Royal Accountant's shocking news that she may be relocating to "back of beyond" in the Outer Hebrides. A Royal Reporter (who shall remain anonymous) has managed to snap a photo of the RA seated next to Donald Trump as they search for properties to invest in. The younger chap on the right may be 1speed guarding the pipes. Hard to tell as these islands are so remote that there may be a time-dilation going on ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...AandDonald.jpg

Here is a local professor explaining the "back of beyond" theory in relation to the earth as we know it ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...nceLecture.gif

We may need Sam Carter's expertise to explain further. The RA's strong Lancastrian accent can have an otherworldly impact on people. I can often remember saying "earth to Coley" whilst engaging her in conversation.

Here's the real scoop! The RA has agreed to do some martial-arts training of the local women so that she can spread the Sam-Carter philosophy of self-sufficiency and strength and leadership. Imagine these women learning how to fire P90s (at the local windmills) and refine naquadah ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...hool_dance.jpg

All work and no play would not be a good lifestyle. So the RA promises that she will take time out to practice her new hobby ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ne_fiddler.jpg

As long as the local telly can broadcast Stargate SG1, all should be well. Much good luck, Coley!

Your friend, the Jester

Last edited by ChopinGal; 30 January 2006, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      :::GASP:::: And cover up her gorgeous HAIR?!! Beauty before longevity, I always say.

mini(pass the botox)geek
                      LOL

that's probably what PDL had in mind when he taped it...the wind ruffling sam's hair dramatically

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        I have update my Ultimate List of Sam-Whumping Stories with 14 more stories:
                        http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/whumping.htm
                        Woohoo!

Thank you, Strix!

Comment

My interpretation of the controversial scene in Stronghold:
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm talking about the scene where Mitchell runs up the hill to take out the gunman and then runs to the rings to save Teal'c. Mitchell's friend was dying because he was injured saving Mitchell's life. In Mitchell's opinion, it would have been his friend that would be on the SG-1 team if this had not happened, not himself. I think Mitchell saw that the gunman had to be taken out and ran up the hill without consulting others because at that moment, he felt he was expendible. He felt that he shouldn't be there in the first place and if anybody was going to die doing this, it should be himself that takes the chance. I don't think that he was suicidal, just that he felt expendible. I don't think he was near enough to Sam to tell her what he was going to do and I don't think he radioed her because he just wanted to do it. He wasn't thinking straight, just that if anybody was going to die, it was going to be him, and he wasn't going to watch another friend and team member take his place again. It was wrong not to contact Sam, but, again, I don't think he was thinking straight, just that he was going to do this to try to take the others out of danger. I certainly don't think it was because he in any way doubted that Sam was running this operation. Back in the SGC, when he was thinking more rationally, he joined the ranks following Sam without question or hesitation.

In the ring room, I think he was trying for the old "my calvary is behind you" trick to get the Jaffa to turn around. Of course, this was the old, "'my calvary is behind you' when it really IS behind you" trick that is a stall tactic to make the Jaffa hesitate in shooting while giving Sam and Daniel the second that they would need upon running into the room to size up the situation and shoot the right guys. Sam and Daniel were going to run to the ring room when the coast was clear anyway, that was the mission, so Mitchell running there first did not put Sam or Daniel in any more danger than they would have been if he hadn't done anything. His actions cleared the way, they did not endanger others.

I'm sharing my interpretation of the scenes in this thread because while I'm not saying that what Mitchell did was right, I don't think it was done out of disrepect for Sam or her leadership and I don't think it endangered anyone but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                            My interpretation of the controversial scene in Stronghold:
                            Spoiler:
                            I'm talking about the scene where Mitchell runs up the hill to take out the gunman and then runs to the rings to save Teal'c. Mitchell's friend was dying because he was injured saving Mitchell's life. In Mitchell's opinion, it would have been his friend that would be on the SG-1 team if this had not happened, not himself. I think Mitchell saw that the gunman had to be taken out and ran up the hill without consulting others because at that moment, he felt he was expendible. He felt that he shouldn't be there in the first place and if anybody was going to die doing this, it should be himself that takes the chance. I don't think that he was suicidal, just that he felt expendible. I don't think he was near enough to Sam to tell her what he was going to do and I don't think he radioed her because he just wanted to do it. He wasn't thinking straight, just that if anybody was going to die, it was going to be him, and he wasn't going to watch another friend and team member take his place again. It was wrong not to contact Sam, but, again, I don't think he was thinking straight, just that he was going to do this to try to take the others out of danger. I certainly don't think it was because he in any way doubted that Sam was running this operation. Back in the SGC, when he was thinking more rationally, he joined the ranks following Sam without question or hesitation.

In the ring room, I think he was trying for the old "my calvary is behind you" trick to get the Jaffa to turn around. Of course, this was the old, "'my calvary is behind you' when it really IS behind you" trick that is a stall tactic to make the Jaffa hesitate in shooting while giving Sam and Daniel the second that they would need upon running into the room to size up the situation and shoot the right guys. Sam and Daniel were going to run to the ring room when the coast was clear anyway, that was the mission, so Mitchell running there first did not put Sam or Daniel in any more danger than they would have been if he hadn't done anything. His actions cleared the way, they did not endanger others.

I'm sharing my interpretation of the scenes in this thread because while I'm not saying that what Mitchell did was right, I don't think it was done out of disrepect for Sam or her leadership and I don't think it endangered anyone but himself.
                            Spoiler:

Oh I don't believe that the way Mitchell behaved in Stronghold was in any way disrespectful to Sam or her leadership, but I do believe had the roles been reversed we would have heard an outcry from fans that Sam was disrepecting Mitchell by not following protocol and putting her teammates into danger. However, what bothered me most was the fact that yet again the writers have gone out of their way to try to prove to me that Mitchell is a hero, but in doing so they've only confirmed my belief that Mitchell should not be leading SG-1 or any other team for that matter...at least not at the present time. I understand he was not thinking clearly, but he is suppose to be the leader of SG-1 or at least that is what he claims to be and the writers have repeatedly written him into situations where he is not living up to what one would expect of an USAF officer let alone someone who is suppose to be the best of the best. He may have indeed considered himself to be expendable, but by now he should have also known that SG1 and the SGC do not leave their own behind and Sam and Daniel would never have allowed him to put himself into danger without backup...so due to his actions he was not only putting himself in danger, but Sam and Daniel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              On the head gear theme, I think it's interesting to refer back to the Prodigy audio commentary. I seem to remember quite a lot of talk about hats and how certain directors don't like them.
                              It's funny, because listened that commentary last night. They were talking about a scene with Carter and Hailey at the Academy. The rules are that if you're outside, you have to wear a hat. PDL didn't want hats, so he had to re-film the scene inside.

Enjoy your stay in the beautiful France, Tracy.
                              sigpic
                              There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
                              If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
                              If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
                              If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Spoiler:

Oh I don't believe that the way Mitchell behaved in Stronghold was in any way disrespectful to Sam or her leadership, but I do believe had the roles been reversed we would have heard an outcry from fans that Sam was disrepecting Mitchell by not following protocol and putting her teammates into danger. However, what bothered me most was the fact that yet again the writers have gone out of their way to try to prove to me that Mitchell is a hero, but in doing so they've only confirmed my belief that Mitchell should not be leading SG-1 or any other team for that matter...at least not at the present time. I understand he was not thinking clearly, but he is suppose to be the leader of SG-1 or at least that is what he claims to be and the writers have repeatedly written him into situations where he is not living up to what one would expect of an USAF officer let alone someone who is suppose to be the best of the best. He may have indeed considered himself to be expendable, but by now he should have also known that SG1 and the SGC do not leave their own behind and Sam and Daniel would never have allowed him to put himself into danger without backup...so due to his actions he was not only putting himself in danger, but Sam and Daniel as well.
                                i do have some issues wtih that,
                                Spoiler:
                                had it been sam going rambo she'd be reamed, but since the hero is doing it, it's ok. double standard and i guess i should get over it.

i can see why cam behaved the way he did. and i can sympathize with his situation. still doesn't mean that he acted like a good boy

he did put himself first, and there's nothing wrong wtih that on a personal basis, it's not quite a good example of him being a leader. that's one of the prices of leadership, ya gotta put those under you first. they eat first, sleep first, go home first.

what cam did was kinda equivalent of the jaffa revenge thing where teal'c put jack in danger to go after tanith. bad teal'c.

as a whole, i do see what tptb were doing, however if thier goal is to convince us that cam is this great leader, having cam act like this isn't a good path to be taking

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X