No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Stargate in the early years could certainly have the action-adventure part to it, but there were interesting premises and stories too.
    Also, I found that the humor came out of the characters and didn't feel like the writers trying to come up with one-liners. You liked all the characters and their quirks and personalities.

To keep this on AT & Sam: My sense in the first say 8 seasons was that you could kind of chuckle in a fond way when Sam went off on one of her lengthy explanations. And though Jack would say "Carter!" it still wasn't really in a mean way.
    I remember at at least one point in S9 when Carter was giving an explanation and characters smirked/eyerolled literally behind her back. I want to say it was DAniel and Landry... I thought that was really kind of mean spirited and out of character. I mean who has saved your bacon over all these years, not to mention that DAniel has been known to get windy too.
    Last edited by jckfan55; 22 September 2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
      I was just about to mention podcasts, creepy that you just touched on it.

I downloaded the Sanctuary Podcasts last night to give me something to listen to on the way home. I spent most of the train journey - when I wasn't sleeping - trying to laugh out loud. I think the most entertaining was the final podcast I had on, with the 'Mandy plays well with others' tale and her gym file saying 'Don't give her anything complicated to do.' Not forgetting Damian and his progression to wearing long pants like big boys, and his paranoia over getting sued for saying something they shouldn't during the podcast. Martin was hilarious too.

I have to say I completely agree with Amanda on the subject of 'previously on' montages. In my opinion they're only allowed when its the beginning of a season or a double episode where a quick recap of events is useful. Incessant 'previously on' montages drive me mental. I find it quite patronizing, particularly as there is a blanket view by network producers, that audiences need everything spelling out for them. Apparently audiences don't want to have to work something out. I love working things out and not knowing what is going on.

I think it's b******t. It's laziness, the ever growing laziness of people in this day and age. You're sat on your arse watching TV! A bit of mental stimulation is hardly going to kill anyone is it?

That is what I loved about Stargate and then Sanctuary - and what appeals about Sci Fi and crime shows in general - the mystery, the sense of the unknown, no one knowing what's going on, piecing things together with the protagonists and seeing if I can work it out before it's all explained.

Stargate was the first programme I can remember enjoying and thinking, 'this talks at my level' it was clever enough to entertain me and make me think. Not a lot of programmes do that for me - it's why I use soaps as mind numbing entertainment when I'm sleepy.

Battlestar Galactica too spoke to my level, and Sanctuary, they're both very cerebral shows driven by intelligent people - both on and off screen. I'm sure I could reel off many more cerebral shows, Dr Who, Marple/Poirot, Sherlock, etc.

If I was given the choice between watching a low budget creative movie with a good plot or a big blockbuster I'm sure I'd go with the low budget feature every time. The low budget movies are made to entertain small audiences, they're not constrained by network and Hollywood stereotypes or formulas. They can explore issues and themes in ways blockbusters can't and for me that greatly increases the viewing experience. I would much rather watch something with insight and a new approach than the same old hero/horror/action/romance plot with different faces.

PS. Just found 'The Void' is available on US Netflix.
      Are the podcasts still available to download? Where can I find them? Those three have way too much fun together lol

I watched "The Void" a few months ago on Netflix. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen lol

Comment

The season 2 podcasts and episodes 3.01 & 3.02 are available via itunes for free - this was in the UK, it might be that there are more available in the US or Canada, I don't know how many were made.
        Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
        If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
          The season 2 podcasts and episodes 3.01 & 3.02 are available via itunes for free - this was in the UK, it might be that there are more available in the US or Canada, I don't know how many were made.
          I'm pretty sure that's all they did. I'll have to check itunes here

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
            Any body go to Trekgate and Amanda's events?
            I just got back from Trekgate. Though the convention wasn't organised that well, in the end everything worked out and Amanda was amazing as always
            I really like how there are lots of people at a con like that who aren't especially Amanda fans at the start, but by the end they are like: she is wonderful!

Oh, and Supernatural
            Spoiler:
            she hopes she will be back as Naomi, but she hadn't heard anything.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Yes, Stargate in the early years could certainly have the action-adventure part to it, but there were interesting premises and stories too.
              Also, I found that the humor came out of the characters and didn't feel like the writers trying to come up with one-liners. You liked all the characters and their quirks and personalities.

To keep this on AT & Sam: My sense in the first say 8 seasons was that you could kind of chuckle in a fond way when Sam went off on one of her lengthy explanations. And though Jack would say "Carter!" it still wasn't really in a mean way.
              I remember at at least one point in S9 when Carter was giving an explanation and characters smirked/eyerolled literally behind her back. I want to say it was DAniel and Landry... I thought that was really kind of mean spirited and out of character. I mean who has saved your bacon over all these years, not to mention that DAniel has been known to get windy too.
              I agree whole-heartedly. Jack's "Carter!" was usually a "I don't need you to explain it, we don't have time/I don't need to know because I trust you to just get the job done" whereas the blatant mockery in season 9 and 10 was just plain rude. Just another example of how the show went to the dogs after RDA left and the high production values went out of the door with him IMO. (AT is a trooper, I'm not sure i could've put up with that nonsense for 2 years!)
              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                I just got back from Trekgate. Though the convention wasn't organised that well, in the end everything worked out and Amanda was amazing as always
                I really like how there are lots of people at a con like that who aren't especially Amanda fans at the start, but by the end they are like: she is wonderful!
                Any pics you're able and willing to share? Pretty please, with covered with a bow on top?
                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Amanda post Trekgate

About to take off. Thank you #trekgate and all the fans. I had such a wonderful time. Thank you for your support of @sanctuary4kids! Xoxo
                  No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                  It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                    I agree whole-heartedly. Jack's "Carter!" was usually a "I don't need you to explain it, we don't have time/I don't need to know because I trust you to just get the job done" whereas the blatant mockery in season 9 and 10 was just plain rude. Just another example of how the show went to the dogs after RDA left and the high production values went out of the door with him IMO. (AT is a trooper, I'm not sure i could've put up with that nonsense for 2 years!)
                    Daniel has done this before. I think it was Window of Opportunity when questioned about how Jack would know the answer to something, Sam said "Maybe he read my report." And Daniel rather snidely says, "Maybe he read your report?" As though that was the most remote thing in the world that could possibly happen.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      Daniel has done this before. I think it was Window of Opportunity when questioned about how Jack would know the answer to something, Sam said "Maybe he read my report." And Daniel rather snidely says, "Maybe he read your report?" As though that was the most remote thing in the world that could possibly happen.
                      I thought that was maybe more a joke on Jack because he doesn't read reports?
                      Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

It could be taken either way.

Comment

That's the way I've always taken it. More disbelief that Jack would read it, rather than scoffing at Sam.

Comment

Okely dokely...so I was watching Fragile Balance yesterday and got somewhat peeved when mini Jack felt he was more capable of instructing those little pratt pilots in the running of the X302s...I always thought that in these circumstances Jack would have more confidence in Sam being able to handle this then feel the need to act all superior and kick her out...and I know it was mini Jack but he is essentially Jack so why did he treat her like that?? And why did anyone allow this little snot nosed Jack take over...I woulda grounded him...sent him to his quarters and let Sam take the meeting as she should have under the circumstances. I'm feeling irked about this. Or am I alone on this??
                            My apologies if this has been addressed before - excuse me while I allow boredom to carry me to new heights...this whole being at home thing is slowly driving me NUTS!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                              Okely dokely...so I was watching Fragile Balance yesterday and got somewhat peeved when mini Jack felt he was more capable of instructing those little pratt pilots in the running of the X302s...I always thought that in these circumstances Jack would have more confidence in Sam being able to handle this then feel the need to act all superior and kick her out...and I know it was mini Jack but he is essentially Jack so why did he treat her like that?? And why did anyone allow this little snot nosed Jack take over...I woulda grounded him...sent him to his quarters and let Sam take the meeting as she should have under the circumstances. I'm feeling irked about this. Or am I alone on this??
                              My apologies if this has been addressed before - excuse me while I allow boredom to carry me to new heights...this whole being at home thing is slowly driving me NUTS!
                              season 7 is when cooper took over as showrunner... i rest my case.

*pauses for dramatic effect*
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                                Nope you are not alone, I always hated that scene too!

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                season 7 is when cooper took over as showrunner... i rest my case.

*pauses for dramatic effect*
                                Yep, that explains it.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X